2019 Non-Trad Applicants Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
30 yr old non-trad checking in. Male, married with 5 mo son. (1 at matriculation)
Firefighter EMT for 12 years, started college at 25. LM 67
Accepted to DMU and wont be attending anymore DO IIs. Hoping and praying for my Instate MD (half tuition and my UG so stay near family)
Interview went great at the MD so its out of my hands now.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
I just got accepted, I'm going to be a doctor! Thank you God, and thank you people on here. This is a good part of the site - supportive and informative. Good luck everyone on the rest of the cycle!

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted to Texas Tech (Lubbock) and TCOM via prematch today. I really like both schools but am leaning toward Tech. I may still rank UTMB 1st on match day but Tech is a very good fit for me (as is TCOM really). Glad to have made it this far, congratulations to all you other non-trads with prematches today!

Reactions: 12 users
Accepted to Texas Tech (Lubbock) and TCOM via prematch today. I really like both schools but am leaning toward Tech. I may still rank UTMB 1st on match day but Tech is a very good fit for me (as is TCOM really). Glad to have made it this far, congratulations to all you other non-trads with prematches today!

The Texas system is so weird. I’m glad I could apply to a couple Texas schools without having to do tmsdsas or whatever it is.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted!

I can't believe it - 40s, mother with 3 kids, full time career, no science background

It is indeed possible. Keep the faith!

Reactions: 20 users
The Texas system is so weird. I’m glad I could apply to a couple Texas schools without having to do tmsdsas or whatever it is.

Yeah, the painful part of the process now is having to wait until Feb 1st to see if I match to my #1 school, but at least I know going into the match that I have a seat at my #2 school.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted!

I can't believe it - 40s, mother with 3 kids, full time career, no science background

It is indeed possible. Keep the faith!

We are in the same boat, I have 4 kids and am in my 40's. I was told by one adcom member that they believed non-trads to be the stabilizing force in their classes because they were able to judge the true scope of problems and put them into context for their classmates.

Reactions: 6 users
Long time reader of the thread, but haven’t posted yet. I’m excited to read all the success stories so far. It’s been a breath of fresh air that admissions committees are seeing the strengths of being a nontraditional student. Both interviews I’ve been to were very positive about the experience and maturity of being older. They both felt that the nontraditional students were usually some of the stronger students and provided a different perspective. I’ve been accepted already which was such a huge rush of excitement. Can’t wait to join you all on the journey. Best of luck to all those still waiting to hear! Embrace your path and your experiences. They truly are a strength and an asset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users
Long time reader of the thread, but haven’t posted yet. I’m excited to read all the success stories so far. It’s been a breath of fresh air that admissions committees are seeing the strengths of being a nontraditional student. Both interviews I’ve been to were very positive about the experience and maturity of being older. They both felt that the nontraditional students were usually some of the stronger students and provided a different perspective. I’ve been accepted already which was such a huge rush of excitement. Can’t wait to join you all on the journey. Best of luck to all those still waiting to hear! Embrace your path and your experiences. They truly are a strength and an asset.

I think you're certainly right. I applied to ten schools, have had pretty good success with II, and I just got accepted to a school yesterday. I don't think I would have gotten nearly as much love if I were straight out of undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got one more interview invitation !!! Vermont I am coming :))))) unbelievable!!!!!

Burlington is gorgeous. i grew up only a few hours from there. too bad you are missing the foliage, but overall its a nice small town rated one of the best places to live in the US ever year. Hoping for an II there myself to get a shot at the school

I’m at 5 II despite submitting my apps on the later side. Feeling so grateful to have a chance at acceptances this cycle; I want my kids to be proud of their mommy.

Reactions: 9 users
I’m at 5 II despite submitting my apps on the later side. Feeling so grateful to have a chance at acceptances this cycle; I want my kids to be proud of their mommy.
I'm sure they're proud already.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey guys, I'm a nontrad reapplicant so I'm getting antsy. Just had an interview at PCOM yesterday. Praying so hard it went okay.

Reactions: 2 users
ok, this makes me anxious.... still waiting to hear from 20 schools, despite submitting on the first day of the cycle. Anyone else in the same boat? what do you guys think will happen? i have a feeling that we will start getting mass rejection emails this week or next.

ok, this makes me anxious.... still waiting to hear from 20 schools, despite submitting on the first day of the cycle. Anyone else in the same boat? what do you guys think will happen? i have a feeling that we will start getting mass rejection emails this week or next.

I’m still waiting on a lot of schools, but i’m happy with the interviews I have so far. I’ll feel better with an acceptance, but most of the schools I interviewed at are non-rolling.

same boat though with an acceptance and 6 II everything else for me is gravy at this point. i am tempted to start withdrawing from schools that are low on my list.

same boat though with an acceptance and 6 II everything else for me is gravy at this point. i am tempted to start withdrawing from schools that are low on my list.
I have had 2 IIs already , have 3 more scheduled , including one tomorrow in Drexel . No acceptances though - was waitlisted in those 2. This freaks me out .

I have had 2 IIs already , have 3 more scheduled , including one tomorrow in Drexel . No acceptances though - was waitlisted in those 2. This freaks me out .

Good luck! I’m interviewing tomorrow too, but at Albert Einstein.

I feel bummed ... was waitlisted in EVMS (top third ) and holding in ETSU (not sure what that means ). Have two more interviews coming up - WVU and Vermont , but it is so hard to not get discouraged by the fact that both interviews I had so far I was waitlisted ....

I feel bummed ... was waitlisted in EVMS (top third ) and holding in ETSU (not sure what that means ). Have two more interviews coming up - WVU and Vermont , but it is so hard to not get discouraged by the fact that both interviews I had so far I was waitlisted ....

Don't worry, you've got enough II's that statistically one of them will turn into an acceptance and that will be the perfect school for you. It's all about the numbers and the numbers are in your favor at this point.

Reactions: 2 users
Don't worry, you've got enough II's that statistically one of them will turn into an acceptance and that will be the perfect school for you. It's all about the numbers and the numbers are in your favor at this point.
thank you for encouragement. I will try to be patient and focus on my finals instead.... as hard as it is :)))

Geisinger, still waiting on my top choices but nice to know there's not massive red flag
Congrats! Geisinger is my top choice when I'll be applying in the 2020 Cycle. How was interviews and did you enjoy the atmosphere while you were there?

Congrats! Geisinger is my top choice when I'll be applying in the 2020 Cycle. How was interviews and did you enjoy the atmosphere while you were there?
The student interview was chill as hell. The faculty interviewed knocked me on my ass. My interviewer was a tough professional lady, the no nonsense kind. I left feeling like I had zero chance getting in but it all worked out.

The school is so sleek and modern, it’s very nice.

Just went on another II yesterday to UCF and was blown away by the school. Got the unconditional offer from USU today in the mail today. I would say this has been a good week for this Non-Trad

Just went on another II yesterday to UCF and was blown away by the school. Got the unconditional offer from USU today in the mail today. I would say this has been a good week for this Non-Trad

Time to treat yo self! Congrats

Thanks to everyone who shares on this thread. It's amazing to read your success stories. Gives me hope! Congrats to all you soon-to-be M1s!

Hang in there. Hold at etsu just means they will look at your app again at the next meeting. They told us at the interview that more people will be put on hold this year than in previous years, and many of them will ultimately be accepted. The committee meeting is 12/17.

I’m assuming you got a post interview hold at etsu.

Hang in there. Hold at etsu just means they will look at your app again at the next meeting. They told us at the interview that more people will be put on hold this year than in previous years, and many of them will ultimately be accepted. The committee meeting is 12/17.

I’m assuming you got a post interview hold at etsu.
Yes ! That’s what I got . The letter started with “congratulations “. It was such a setup :)))

Update: Accepted into my in-state MD school on Friday. Definitely excited to get the news!

I am at two II and waiting on a response from a third school in regards to R or II. :)

Hang in there!