2019 Non-Trad Applicants Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Matthew9Thirtyfive

kitty cat yin yang
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I’ll start it this year for us 2019 cyclers.

We can submit the primary in 8 days, and I take the MCAT a month after that. Still can’t believe it’s finally happening. Thank the Lord.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
Whelp, I reckon I'll come on in here and have a seat beside ya then.
I can't believe this event is actually taking place in my life. 4 years ago I would've never thought this is what I wanted to do, but here I am....

Reactions: 7 users
Joining...retaking the MCAT in August, planning to submit August 1st when my summer grades come in to a throwaway school and hopefully be complete by Labor Day. Ready to get started and praying we all only have to do this once.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Whelp, I reckon I'll come on in here and have a seat beside ya then.
I can't believe this event is actually taking place in my life. 4 years ago I would've never thought this is what I wanted to do, but here I am....

I've wanted to do this for a while, but six years ago, I basically gave up on it. Now I'm about to submit my application. Crazy.

Joining...retaking the MCAT in August, planning to submit August 1st when my summer grades come in to a throwaway school and hopefully be complete by Labor Day. Ready to get started and praying we all only have to do this once.

Amen.

Reactions: 4 users
Applicant here... this has been 3 years in the making. I'm happy I was patient, because I had the time to take all my prereqs plus plenty of biochem, which really helped on the MCAT. I tested May 19.

Gonna send out primary around June 1, wait for MCAT score report (I feel pretty good about it, my practice test scores at least were in a good place), then quickly wrangle together my letters of rec and get my committee letter done. Only thing I'm not looking forward to are secondaries...

I have a plan for rejections too. Gonna finish a second degree in biochemistry over the next year, and if I don't get in this year I'm going to try to find a job scribing. I'll use that time to do more shadowing and more volunteering (try to focus on more non-clinical volunteering). I hope that's not the case though, that would push my next application back until Summer 2020...

W00T!! It's time!! Non-trad here as well applying this cycle. I'm stuck on writing the descriptions/impacts of a couple of my extracurriculars, but besides that primary is almost finished. Just waiting for that MCAT score coming June 5...less than 2 weeks away now!

Good luck everyone! Going to be a crazy year ahead!

Reactions: 2 users
Taking the MCAT June 2nd. AAMC FL's look promising. I'm probably 75% of the way done with TMDSAS and won't start the other applications until the first week of June so that I can spend the time between now and then finishing up my prep.

Reactions: 1 user
Taking the MCAT June 2nd. AAMC FL's look promising. I'm probably 75% of the way done with TMDSAS and won't start the other applications until the first week of June so that I can spend the time between now and then finishing up my prep.

Nice. I take mine June 30. I'm sure you'll do well in Texas.

Can't believe it's here already! Unfortunately, due to unavoidable transcript woes, I have to sit out the initial fireworks of opening until the postal service comes through for me, but hoping to hit that button some time next week. Good luck, everyone!

Can't believe it's here already! Unfortunately, due to unavoidable transcript woes, I have to sit out the initial fireworks of opening until the postal service comes through for me, but hoping to hit that button some time next week. Good luck, everyone!

Same here, doing final edits on my PS and Work/Activities (waiting for one of my letter writers to review my PS as well, but she hasn't had any time yet...). Also waiting on one final transcript to get to DC, then it's time to submit!

Per amcas, you can submit with outstanding transcript requests. Your app will go into the queue and start verification as soon as they get all of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck guys!! The application cycle is quite a journey. Try to relax and enjoy it for what it is.

Per amcas, you can submit with outstanding transcript requests. Your app will go into the queue and start verification as soon as they get all of them.

Oh, that's great to know, thanks! Honestly, though I'll probably just sit here combing through my PS and activities until it lights up. I got a late start on both, so the extra grooming time isn't all bad.

Oh, that's great to know, thanks! Honestly, though I'll probably just sit here combing through my PS and activities until it lights up. I got a late start on both, so the extra grooming time isn't all bad.

Yeah someone in my cohort just submitted today with an outstanding transcript, and it says on hold until all transcripts are received.

My transcripts have been in for a while now. LoRs have been received as well. Just submitted today. I can’t believe this is finally happening.

It's finally here :eek:. So far I've submitted my transcripts and 3/4 of my LORs. Doubtful my 4th LOR will be submitted since that prof has just been all over the place, but hoping he'll deliver it by July.

I'm still working on finalizing my personal statement, haven't been able to flesh it out more beforehand since most of my time was divided by work/MCAT. Aiming to get it done by mid-month at the latest and then submit to 1 school just for verification. My MCAT score comes back June 26th so hopefully if it's decent I'll be submitting to the rest on my list then.

Good luck everyone! I can't believe new cycles are starting. In the midst of last year's process, it felt interminable. And like the only one that happened or ever would happen. But there's light at the end of the tunnel!

FINALLY got my last letter of rec after only like A YEAR of prodding and reminding!! lol... moral of the story is never give up, kids. Fingers crossed my prof didn't write about how annoying I was to get him to write the letter :confused:

I've got all but 1 LOR turned in now and overnighted all my transcripts today. I'm planning on submitting my application by Sunday. The only thing left is one final ruthless inventory of my PS.

Did anyone else find it very scary to finally submit???? My application is as ready as it's going to be, but man, this is harder than I thought it'd be. Just something about it being so final is making it hard!

Edit: OK, I ripped the bandaid off and just hit the button. Holy cow, I'm applying to medical school!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Did anyone else find it very scary to finally submit???? My application is as ready as it's going to be, but man, this is harder than I thought it'd be. Just something about it being so final is making it hard!

Edit: OK, I ripped the bandaid off and just hit the button. Holy cow, I'm applying to medical school!!!!!

Haha same. Yesterday I was showing my girlfriend my PS and application and I just said "If you find anything incorrect, don't tell me...because I can't change it at this point anyways."

Reactions: 1 users

Haha, I was super excited and antsy to do it. It took a day or two to realize they won't even be transmitted until the end of the month, and that my MCAT score won't even come back until July 31. I'm actually surprised at how fast they verified my app given the number of transcripts and courses I've taken.

So right now, I'm more like holy ****, my MCAT is in 13 days.

Haha same. Yesterday I was showing my girlfriend my PS and application and I just said "If you find anything incorrect, don't tell me...because I can't change it at this point anyways."

We had our PS's read by someone important at the school our program is through, and he emailed me with feedback two days after I submitted. Fortunately, he thought it was fine the way it was, but I emailed him back and thanked him for his feedback and that I'm glad he liked it because I already submitted lol.

Hey everyone! Well, it's good to see there are others in my situation. My 2019 application is in and awaiting review. This has been a 10-year journey for me. I am an older non-trad who wasn't particularly impressive during my undergraduate years. I have applied twice in the past and have felt the sting of more rejections than I care to mention. But, this is my dream and I'm back at it after having completed a master's degree and sat for the MCAT.

Some days I feel confident in my competitiveness as an applicant, given my previous career, my clinical experience along with my recent research experience. Others I dread the stain of a low GPA from my undergrad years. Figuring I have about a 50/50 shot of getting in. I just hope the adcoms see a trend in my lengthy pursuit of medicine that signals that I will be a successful student (and physician).

I am pursuing MD programs in the US and have strategically applied to schools who seem to favor, or at least not avoid students like me. My goal is emergency medicine. In my view, this is the ultimate service to people and I want to be in that role so badly.

I hope everyone is feeling confident in their non-trad status! From everything I have read, schools are really moving toward an appreciation of a diverse and non-traditional background.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone! Thought I would join this chat so we can all support eachother. This has been a long road for me as well and have had to fight to rebuild a non-stellar GPA from my first undergrad degree. Submitted my primary application on June 8th so just waiting for it to be reviewed. I have to take the CASPER tomorrow for two of the schools I am applying to. Anyone else done this?

Hey everyone! Thought I would join this chat so we can all support eachother. This has been a long road for me as well and have had to fight to rebuild a non-stellar GPA from my first undergrad degree. Submitted my primary application on June 8th so just waiting for it to be reviewed. I have to take the CASPER tomorrow for two of the schools I am applying to. Anyone else done this?

Casper is pretty straightforward, just do their systems check beforehand to make sure your workstation meets their requirements.

Well, TMDSAS should be processing my application soon, as I submitted on the 11th. AMCAS was submitted Monday and the goal is to have AACOMAS submitted by the end of the week and then start hammering out secondaries.

I took the Casper a little while ago and feel like I bombed it, but honestly really have no idea. Primaries have been in for a little while now, so I'm currently focused on staying on top of these secondaries! Feels a little surreal to be here now.

Does anyone have resources or guides for filling out the Experiences/Activities section as a non-traditional applicant? There's basically no advising at the school where I did my post-bacc work, so I'm a little in the dark here! I've read a lot of conflicting things online, but I feel like they're all geared towards kids who are 5 years younger than me straight out of college. I've had jobs as an engineer and yoga teacher since graduating the first time, and am trying to fit this all in in the right way!

Thinking about organizing a little like this, any advice?

-------------------------
Category: Teacher/Tutoring/Teaching Assistant
Experience Name: Tutor and Laboratory Instructor
Dates: September 2012 - May 2018
Organization: Brooklyn College (I'll list the most recent one/most relevant one up here)
Total Hours: 1460

Description:
Math & Physics Tutor, Sept 2012 - May 2014 at the University of Hartford, 570 hrs. Contact: Anne Marie Cirullo, Coordinator, [email protected]. Employed at the Math and Physics Tutoring Lab, tutored Algebra through Differential Equations, and Physics 1 and 2.
Physics Lab Instructor, Jan 2013 - May 2014 at the University of Hartford, 430 hrs. Contact: James McDonald, Ass. Professor, [email protected]. Responsibilities included writing syllabus, conducting laboratory classes, grading lab reports, and office hour assistance to students.
Physics, Anatomy &Physiology Tutor, Sept 2016 - May 2017 at Brooklyn College, 360 hrs. Contact: Richard Vento, Director, [email protected]. Employed at the campus Learning Center.
Self-employed tutoring, Sept 2012 - May 2018. Multiple private physics tutoring clients.

Does anyone have resources or guides for filling out the Experiences/Activities section as a non-traditional applicant? There's basically no advising at the school where I did my post-bacc work, so I'm a little in the dark here! I've read a lot of conflicting things online, but I feel like they're all geared towards kids who are 5 years younger than me straight out of college. I've had jobs as an engineer and yoga teacher since graduating the first time, and am trying to fit this all in in the right way!

Thinking about organizing a little like this, any advice?

-------------------------
Category: Teacher/Tutoring/Teaching Assistant
Experience Name: Tutor and Laboratory Instructor
Dates: September 2012 - May 2018
Organization: Brooklyn College (I'll list the most recent one/most relevant one up here)
Total Hours: 1460

Description:
Math & Physics Tutor, Sept 2012 - May 2014 at the University of Hartford, 570 hrs. Contact: Anne Marie Cirullo, Coordinator, [email protected]. Employed at the Math and Physics Tutoring Lab, tutored Algebra through Differential Equations, and Physics 1 and 2.
Physics Lab Instructor, Jan 2013 - May 2014 at the University of Hartford, 430 hrs. Contact: James McDonald, Ass. Professor, [email protected]. Responsibilities included writing syllabus, conducting laboratory classes, grading lab reports, and office hour assistance to students.
Physics, Anatomy &Physiology Tutor, Sept 2016 - May 2017 at Brooklyn College, 360 hrs. Contact: Richard Vento, Director, [email protected]. Employed at the campus Learning Center.
Self-employed tutoring, Sept 2012 - May 2018. Multiple private physics tutoring clients.
There might be different guidance, but I had hired someone to help me with my ECs and take shadowing for example, he had told me that I did not need to put contact info for each physician that I shadowed, just one was fine and that I didn't need to list out specific dates. If I were in your shoes, I would state what areas you have tutored in and then use the rest of the space to tell a quick story about how it impacted you or someone else. Essentially his guidance was all of that was wasted space and to use the space wisely and discuss the actual experience personally. Hope this helps!

Joining. Would anyone willing to look over my PS? I am looking to submit my app this weekend and need someone to look over it. Thank you

would anybody be willing to check my PS as well?

There might be different guidance, but I had hired someone to help me with my ECs and take shadowing for example, he had told me that I did not need to put contact info for each physician that I shadowed, just one was fine and that I didn't need to list out specific dates. If I were in your shoes, I would state what areas you have tutored in and then use the rest of the space to tell a quick story about how it impacted you or someone else. Essentially his guidance was all of that was wasted space and to use the space wisely and discuss the actual experience personally. Hope this helps!

Thanks! This actually helps a lot. I'm having a very hard time with this. I've edited that entry to this, any advice?

Group tutoring at the University of Hartford and Brooklyn College for Precalc, Calc I/II/III, Physics I/II, and Anatomy & Physiology I/II. I've also had many private clients during both my undergraduate and post-bac work. I've learned how each student benefits from a unique perspective of a problem. I try to be flexible in my explanations, and creative in my approach to teaching various types of learners. I love the moment when a student's knowledge coalesces into deeper understanding. Through this, I've learned to be patient and supportive through a student's learning process. I look forward to translating these skills into clinical work with patients.

Hi all, I applied ED to Rutgers NJMS this cycle, after completing their SMP last December. Will be interviewing on 7/25.

Hey everyone-- I just stumbled across this thread, and I have enjoyed reading everyone's stories. It is so encouraging to see your commitment, and I hope it pays off for each and every one of you!

I am a 31 year old married mother of two, who had excellent undergrad stats and bombed my first MCAT (I want to say it was somewhere around the 33rd percentile). I applied and was rejected in 2009. I knew deep down I hadn't given it my all, but I was petrified my subsequent MCAT attempts would only confirm the fear I wasn't smart enough to be a physician. About two years go, I was full swing in my second choice career, and I finally came to terms with the fact that I wasn't ever going to be satisfied until I pursued med school wholeheartedly. So, I studied and retook the MCAT. I applied 2017-2018 cycle to the local medical school with an MCAT in the 50th percentile (we don't have the luxury of relocation at this point in time), and I was overlooked for an interview. I knew all along my odds weren't great, but as the cycle came and went, I was afraid to have to face my MCAT fear YET AGAIN. At this point, part of me was ready to accept the fact that I just couldn't improve my score; but I had already invested too much time and energy to simply give up. I signed up for my third MCAT, changed my studying style, and finally slayed my "Goliath." This time, I got my score up to the 79th percentile, which allowed me to apply early decision to the same school. It may not be the most impressive score to other applicants, but I can finally stand up and say that I didn't let the test beat me.

I hope that if you take anything from my story, it's that you don't have to be afraid of that "thing" that you think makes you a weak applicant. We all have our own mountains to climb on this journey. Every once in a while, stop and look back at how far you've come. And most importantly, never give up on your dream!

Reactions: 8 users
Grinding through secondaries this weekend. Hope all is going well with everyone!

Hey everyone-- I just stumbled across this thread, and I have enjoyed reading everyone's stories. It is so encouraging to see your commitment, and I hope it pays off for each and every one of you!

I am a 31 year old married mother of two, who had excellent undergrad stats and bombed my first MCAT (I want to say it was somewhere around the 33rd percentile). I applied and was rejected in 2009. I knew deep down I hadn't given it my all, but I was petrified my subsequent MCAT attempts would only confirm the fear I wasn't smart enough to be a physician. About two years go, I was full swing in my second choice career, and I finally came to terms with the fact that I wasn't ever going to be satisfied until I pursued med school wholeheartedly. So, I studied and retook the MCAT. I applied 2017-2018 cycle to the local medical school with an MCAT in the 50th percentile (we don't have the luxury of relocation at this point in time), and I was overlooked for an interview. I knew all along my odds weren't great, but as the cycle came and went, I was afraid to have to face my MCAT fear YET AGAIN. At this point, part of me was ready to accept the fact that I just couldn't improve my score; but I had already invested too much time and energy to simply give up. I signed up for my third MCAT, changed my studying style, and finally slayed my "Goliath." This time, I got my score up to the 79th percentile, which allowed me to apply early decision to the same school. It may not be the most impressive score to other applicants, but I can finally stand up and say that I didn't let the test beat me.

I hope that if you take anything from my story, it's that you don't have to be afraid of that "thing" that you think makes you a weak applicant. We all have our own mountains to climb on this journey. Every once in a while, stop and look back at how far you've come. And most importantly, never give up on your dream!

Good luck! I know how tough it is to do this journey with kids.

Awesome that you have two IIs already!
Thank you! I still refresh those pages neurotically to make sure it wasn't a mistake, lol. Also, thanks for your service! I've seen your posts here and there but didn't recognize you at first cause of the new avatar, lol.

Thank you! I still refresh those pages neurotically to make sure it wasn't a mistake, lol. Also, thanks for your service! I've seen your posts here and there but didn't recognize you at first cause of the new avatar, lol.

Haha I know. The neuroticism hits hard. My avatar changes a lot. I like to mix it up with different famous foxes.

Unfashionably late to this shindig, I've been stalking last year's thread :whistle:, lol go figure. 2 II and 1 rejection so far (looking at you LSU, lost out on a future Nobel).
Congrats!!! That is awesome to have two II so early! I am hoping to be in your shoes soon!