2020-2021 Pain Fellowship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
it can’t be because of a lack of interest in Pain, because even spots in the absolute worst place in the US to train right now (NYC) supposedly filled...

Speaking for myself... I was denied an interview at all those programs that didnt fill. So I doubt it was lack of interest. I wonder if they just interviewed fewer people or got cocky with their rank lists? Or maybe they just chose to have fewer fellows this year bc of low volume..?

This wouldve been a great year to SOAP. Now I wish I hadnt matched haha

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
According to the report from NRMP, 10 programs (9.8%) didnt fill their spots, including stanford (2 unfilled), USC (2 unfilled), UC Davis (1 unfilled), UCLA-VA (1 unfilled).

Wtf is going on in california? Does anyone have any insight as to why they failed to fill their spots?

what other programs just curious
What was the match rate for applicants. I think last year was close to 80%?

Members don't see this ad :)
According to the report from NRMP, 10 programs (9.8%) didnt fill their spots, including stanford (2 unfilled), USC (2 unfilled), UC Davis (1 unfilled), UCLA-VA (1 unfilled).

Wtf is going on in california? Does anyone have any insight as to why they failed to fill their spots?

You mean, besides the fact that its on fire, experiencing multiple droughts, unreasonable high COL, high taxes, and a phyisican non-friendly state?

I’m curious if outside the match offers caused this. I spoke to a number of people who interviewed at some of the top places with unmatched spots who opted to take offers outside the match due to perceived safety.

Reactions: 1 user
probably because no one rejected interviews this year because they didnt need to buy plan tickets, so the people who normally would have gotten interviews during the second wave didnt receive them

Correct me if I am wrong- but I was thought Stanford was considered not as interventional or procedurally oriented which can definitely steer some folks away. UC Davis is the most surprising for me on that list. Strange year with COVID though which surely played into this outcome.

Congrats everyone! Can someone point me towards the NRMP match data from this year's match? Im having trouble finding it.

Correct me if I am wrong- but I was thought Stanford was considered not as interventional or procedurally oriented which can definitely steer some folks away. UC Davis is the most surprising for me on that list. Strange year with COVID though which surely played into this outcome.
Eh, Stanford is no worse than say Kentucky, Maryland, Boulder, VCU or some other more balanced approach programs. I think their prior flaw was you tended to have all your procedure days bunched up with stretches of nothing but clinic in between. That's going away starting January 1st, btw. I say this as someone who is at Stanford right now.

Eh, Stanford is no worse than say Kentucky, Maryland, Boulder, VCU or some other more balanced approach programs. I think their prior flaw was you tended to have all your procedure days bunched up with stretches of nothing but clinic in between. That's going away starting January 1st, btw. I say this as someone who is at Stanford right now.
Ah, got ya-thanks for the clarification. I know nothing of the other programs you list but do know a few previous Stanford fellows which is what I based my assumption on. Since you are there, was there talk/ideas about why the unfilled slot this year?

Congrats everyone. What a time to be alive.

Kentucky is pretty interventional....

Ah, got ya-thanks for the clarification. I know nothing of the other programs you list but do know a few previous Stanford fellows which is what I based my assumption on. Since you are there, was there talk/ideas about why the unfilled slot this year?

Congrats everyone. What a time to be alive.

They are going to try to fill them through the scramble, but their goal is to have someone that fits with the program and culture more so than a warm body to fill the slot.

Upcoming applicant for this coming application cycle -- for those who matched successfully, congrats... Was there any advantage of submitting super early?

Members don't see this ad :)
Upcoming applicant for this coming application cycle -- for those who matched successfully, congrats... Was there any advantage of submitting super early?

Definitely not. Take your time. Applying by mid February is perfectly fine.

I'd say by end of January is super early. Hardly any programs start looking at apps and offering interviews before then. The one notable exception from what I recall is UCLA Cedar Sinai, if I'm not mistaken.

I agree that mid-February is probably fine. That being said, you should start on your application as early as possible and try to aim for submitting somewhere in January, unless you have a good reason to wait (ie publication pending acceptance, or some award, etc). Some programs do review apps and offer interviews on a first-submitted, first-served basis, and you want to give yourself every advantage possible.

In the spirit of full disclosure: I submitted most of my applications the first week of February, and added some more programs later on in the cycle. The program I ended up matching at was one I added later (mid-march), and it was one of my favorite programs. So in hindsight applying earlier made no difference in my case.

Last edited:
I'd say by end of January is super early. Hardly any programs start looking at apps and offering interviews before then. The one notable exception from what I recall is UCLA Cedar Sinai, if I'm not mistaken.

I agree that mid-February is probably fine. That being said, you should start on your application as early as possible and try to aim for submitting somewhere in January, unless you have a good reason to wait (ie publication pending acceptance, or some award, etc). Some programs do review apps and offer interviews on a first-submitted, first-served basis, and you want to give yourself every advantage possible.

In the spirit of full disclosure: I submitted most of my applications the first week of February, and added some more programs later on in the cycle. The program I ended up matching at was one I added later (mid-march), and it was one of my favorite programs. So in hindsight applying earlier made no difference in my case.
Is there any problem with submitting for the December opening? I do have a few submitted papers, but I was just going to update programs if they got accepted.

Is there any problem with submitting for the December opening? I do have a few submitted papers, but I was just going to update programs if they got accepted.

No problem with it. That’s when i submitted, it’s just not necessary and there no value added by submitting THAT early.

Just keep in mind, some programs don't accept applications in December, so check in often to see when they become available in ERAS otherwise you may miss your chance to apply in a timely fashion.

Reactions: 3 users
I know match was only a week ago but has anyone heard anything from their matched to programs? in regards to contract, paperwork, etc or should we just wait till the spring?

I know match was only a week ago but has anyone heard anything from their matched to programs? in regards to contract, paperwork, etc or should we just wait till the spring?
My class got a welcome and congratulatory email from PD stating that more information was to come around December/Jan from the program coordinator and also advising to start the process for medical licensure early if from out of state.

If you didn't hear anything, you could always just reach out to the PD or PC obviously- but I am sure someone from your institution will be in contact at some point, they do this every year.

It’s been a couple years, but I remember basically getting a welcome letter and then not hearing much until maybe December. If you are concerned, I would touch base with the program coordinator before I would email the program director after it has only been a week.

Waiting for a contract which is due in Dec; received a welcome email

It's normal to feel abandoned by the fellowship in between matching and getting there. They'll figure it out closer to the date.

1. Work on getting a license in the state you'll be at
2. Reach out to the current fellows to talk about places to live and things like that
3. Relax

So if I have not heard from any programs yet should I be worried? When are most of the interviews scheduled by?

Most interviews for me came out end of March into June. I wouldn’t worry too much. Check out last years thread to see the dates.

what sort of anesthesia ITE and step 1 score is considered competitive? I am having trouble finding good info. I also hear conflicting info. People say ITE scores important for pain but very few programs ask for it.

what sort of anesthesia ITE and step 1 score is considered competitive? I am having trouble finding good info. I also hear conflicting info. People say ITE scores important for pain but very few programs ask for it.
This is incorrect based on my limited experience.
This year, multiple programs asked for my CA-1 ITE prior to offering interview invites. So I wouldn’t assume that “very few” programs ask for it.

Obviously the higher, the better. Take a look at the google doc that’s linked in this thread. There’s about 30-35 applicants data that you can look at and derive your conclusions. Top tiers want top tier applicants usually.

The problem with pain fellowship applications is that because the fellowship is open to so many different specialities (even though the vast majority are anesthesia or PMR) it’s hard for programs to compare apples to apples in terms of applicants.

I’ve noticed that instead of ITE scores, many programs actually fall back on Step scores, AOA status, and research/other activities as a means of assessing how competitive of an applicant you are. I suspect that the majority of programs that do ask for anesthesia ITE scores are 1) primarily taking anesthesia fellows or 2) are also asking PMR residents for ITE scores and just making sure you’re above some arbitrary threshold to ensure you wont fail your primary boards. No program wants to deal with a fellow who failed their primary board certification and now can’t sit for pain boards.