2020-2021 Pain Fellowship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camedstudent23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
good luck boys/gals, pain match isn't as competitive anymore, just don't be an idiot during interviews and you will all match!!

Members don't see this ad :)
^Tried that strategy, didn’t work unfortunately

good luck boys/gals, pain match isn't as competitive anymore, just don't be an idiot during interviews and you will all match!!

Yes, tell that to the 70 or so applicants that didn’t match last year.

Come on bud, while pain isn’t as competitive as it used to be, it is still fairly competitive for larger fellowships. If you look at data for IM specialties, most US grad residents have match rates of 90-95%. I do not have this specific data for pain yet, but I’m pretty sure it’s less than this as it was 84% combined with very few IMG applicants.

Also, non-anesthesia, non-PM&R applicants have much less than 84% chance of matching. It’s definitely not a guaranteed match for the rest of us bud. Just a few thoughts.

Anyone able to apply to OSU or Rush via ERAS? Can't find them but their website states they are participating in ERAS

Anyone able to apply to OSU or Rush via ERAS? Can't find them but their website states they are participating in ERAS

I can't find them, and so on the ERAS website outlining all programs that they are listed as "not participating." That said, roughly 6-7 programs were added from last week when I was scrolling through programs to this week. Maybe check back in a week or so?

I can't find them, and so on the ERAS website outlining all programs that they are listed as "not participating." That said, roughly 6-7 programs were added from last week when I was scrolling through programs to this week. Maybe check back in a week or so?

This is still way too early. Most will be up by the end of December and the rest usually in January.

Reactions: 1 user
I know it’s still very early in the application process, but anyone know when you should have your application in by?

Also, anyone have more info about Rush’s program? Why do some people want to avoid it?

I know it’s still very early in the application process, but anyone know when you should have your application in by?

Also, anyone have more info about Rush’s program? Why do some people want to avoid it?

As someone training in Chicago, it's pretty clear Rush is probably the hardest working pain fellowship in the country. You'll frequently be working upwards of 100h/week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone noticed program asking for LORs specifically addressed to their PD on their website? Is this a real thing or can a generic “to whom it may concern” work? Do my letter writers need to send a separate LOR for each program in that case?

Also, would a LOR from an APD be acceptable in lieu of one from the actual PD if the program website asks for a letter from the program director? Suppose if someone has a lot more experience working with the APD and they could write a better letter?

I'm definitely not personalizing letters like that. If the programs are so specific that they wouldn't consider you for something like that, wouldn't want to go there.

UCLA invites will be first, that was towards the end of January in the previous cycle

And then after UCLA, the next programs started inviting in March or so. So I wouldn't start worrying for a couple months.

Using a previous Sheet I've created one for this year. Seemed that last year there were very few comments on interview experiences and program reviews, I would encourage that this year if not for us then for those who are applying in future cycles to get more personalized information about programs (albeit subjective). Good Luck Everyone!

2020-2021 pain medicine fellowship interview spreadsheet

Has anyone noticed program asking for LORs specifically addressed to their PD on their website? Is this a real thing or can a generic “to whom it may concern” work? Do my letter writers need to send a separate LOR for each program in that case?

Also, would a LOR from an APD be acceptable in lieu of one from the actual PD if the program website asks for a letter from the program director? Suppose if someone has a lot more experience working with the APD and they could write a better letter?

In general LORs start with "Dear program director" to mitigate this, so you only need one set of letters. I would discourage you from NOT getting a LOR from your PD. It looks sketchy as ****, and if they specifically ask for the PD, don't shoot yourself in the foot. If you think the APD would write a great one, get both.

Using a previous Sheet I've created one for this year. Seemed that last year there were very few comments on interview experiences and program reviews, I would encourage that this year if not for us then for those who are applying in future cycles to get more personalized information about programs (albeit subjective). Good Luck Everyone!

2020-2021 pain medicine fellowship interview spreadsheet

Chief column might be an interesting addition.

I hadn't done it as our program chiefs aren't announced until close to june. I'll add it

our chief roles extend from March of CA-2 to March of CA-3, bit odd but it also accounts for inevitable senioritis that afflicts some

Feel free to review your own program anon now in the spreadsheet. You'll likely know it best and can help others get a better feel!

I haven't asked for a letter from the PD, as she's new over the past 6 months or so. Getting a great one from APD and a strong one from the Chair. Could get a letter from the old PD or new if I need to. Do you think it's necessary?

Good luck everyone,

Just curious:
1)How many programs did you apply to?
2) How did you choose the programs you applied? (hard to find info on the websites)

location location location

Good luck everyone,

Just curious:
2) How did you choose the programs you applied? (hard to find info on the websites)
1. Info in the spreadsheet
2. I found the program reviews from past applicants pretty helpful. Unfortunately, there are a lot of programs with either no reviews or only old reviews. Otherwise, have talked to people who recently graduated from my residency and did fellowship.

Anyone have info about UCLA Santa Monica?
The Santa Monica anesthesia dept-run program is primarily based out of a community hospital and its associated clinic (the PMR program on the other hand is based out of the VA and UCLA Medical Center) and is not part of match. There are 4 attendings there. It seems to be a good program, some grads go into academics, some private

Last edited:
Good luck everyone,

Just curious:

Yeah spreadsheet is stickied in the first post. I too struggled to find discriminating information about programs. All their websites looked very similar. i spoke with previous graduates i knew who fellowed elsewhere about their experience but that's still and N = 1. i applied largely on location and what i could find reputation wise from previous threads. I plan to ask about previous graduates during interviews, what are they doing, where do they work, maybe if it's possible to get contact info (although i'm not sure if that seems weird).

Good luck everyone,

Just curious:

2) First screen was location. I then looked to see if they had current/past fellows listed and where they came from. As an anesthesia applicant, if the program clearly had a preference for PMR applciants, I didn't apply. If all of their current/prior fellows were internal or there was very clear regional bias, I didn't apply.

How important are step scores and med school grades in the selection process? I have good letters and lots of pain related stuff on my CV but that's about it

Once you get an interview, probably not a huge part of the selection process but undoubtedly they use it to screen for interviews. Pain fellows come from a variety of different specialities, different In training exams so you can’t really compare them to any of that. Also, to sit for the pain boards you have to pass your primary speciality boards and given that pain management is an insignificant portion of most of the primary specialities (anesthesiology, neurology, PMR) high step scores reflect how well the applicant does on standardized exams and whether they’ll be able to pass their primary boards.

Any info about UCLA? I saw they sent out invites 1/10 anybody know anyone who received one? Seems earlier than last year. I was wondering if I need to reach out, was hoping for an interview there

How long does it take for USMLE scores to be released? I authorized release and submitted by app last week!

My ITE percentile 79% what are my chances of matching and getting number of interviews?

My ITE percentile 79% what are my chances of matching and getting number of interviews?

I'm 6'3" what are my chances of getting lots of interviews haha. just kidding. There is MUCH more to an applicant and an application than ITE scores If schools are using that as cutoff then I would imagine 79% should be above the cutoff for just about any program.

Any insight on the Florida programs in detail?

So I noticed interviews for Emory and UNM came out according to the spread sheet. Seems a bit earlier then last year. Can anyone confirm that these are correct?