2020-2021 Pain Fellowship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It’s seriously that bad that you don’t think you’ll get enough exposure to procedures/patients to be able to practice on your own??

Is it that bad at every program? Even the “interventionally heavy” programs ?
Have you been to NYC recently?

Members don't see this ad.

Resident in NYC. Our pain program volume is 25-30 patients per attending on the clinic side daily, 12-20 injections/RFAs/etc per attending daily. Usually 2-3 attendings on each side daily.

Members don't see this ad :)
Resident in NYC. Our pain program volume is 25-30 patients per attending on the clinic side daily, 12-20 injections/RFAs/etc per attending daily. Usually 2-3 attendings on each side daily.

How is this compared to pre-COVID

I still want to follow up on Hopkins guys, any feedback about the program from a previous fellow or an applicant this year? What do you think are the strengths and weaknesses? Thanks

I still want to follow up on Hopkins guys, any feedback about the program from a previous fellow or an applicant this year? What do you think are the strengths and weaknesses? Thanks

did you interview there and have a chance to speak to any current fellows?

What program is this? Sounds like somewhere that is NOT manhattan or brooklyn. Lol

Just to make sure, you said on the first page that you did not match last year, and then later said that you are a fellow practicing in NYC. Which one is it?

Just to make sure, you said on the first page that you did not match last year, and then later said that you are a fellow practicing in NYC. Which one is it?
These two things are not mutually exclusive. Nice try though

What program is this? Sounds like somewhere that is NOT manhattan or brooklyn. Lol
LMAO, nice try.

Not trying to "Catch" anyone, just trying to get clarification, especially since your view on NYC training seems to contradict others.
There is still a grain of truth to this. NYC still isnt 100%, but keep in mind that NYC has been through the first wave whereas the rest of the country is gonna be balls deep in it. Volume will decrease in the rest of the country this coming year.

Reactions: 1 user
LMAO, nice try.

There is still a grain of truth to this. NYC still isnt 100%, but keep in mind that NYC has been through the first wave whereas the rest of the country is gonna be balls deep in it. Volume will decrease in the rest of the country this coming year.
Im serious though. I know for a fact that Pain in the Bronx at Montefiore wasn’t hit nearly as hard as Manhattan

Members don't see this ad :)
Correct me if I am wrong, are the programs "not participating" on eras the programs that filled internally? Thx.

Thoughts on MCW?
I really liked them! They seemed very interested in your education and have a very organized didactics. Good peds experience one of they faculty is peds pain trained. From what i got out of it, you will get a good training.

Have any of the programs reached out Post interviews and sent out intended to rank highly letters?

may we ask which programs sent out these emails?

some general emails after the interview. generic stuff like we hope you consider strongly, great candidate etc. One phone call to my program director. no personal calls.

my friend who will be at his home program who did not participate is not on ERAS

You sure you wanna move to baltimore or NYC right now? LOLOL
I’m at a program in NYC and everything here is fine. Procedure load is good too. Lots of stuff got backed up during quarantine so we’ve got plenty to do.

Yeah i was asking a specific question though. Are they sure they want to MOVE to baltimore or nyc any time soon. 2 places to live right now which are becoming more unsafe every day

I’m at a program in NYC and everything here is fine. Procedure load is good too. Lots of stuff got backed up during quarantine so we’ve got plenty to do.
Also, how can procedure load be “good” when elective surgery volume is down so much in NYC?

@Peterluger Let me get you up to speed. It’s an unwritten SDN law that trolling to this degree is to be kept in the pre-med forums. We get it-you don’t think people should want go to NYC for training. But alas, people do and will.
We all appreciate your concern. Enjoy your fellowship...in NYC.

Reactions: 8 users
@Peterluger Let me get you up to speed. It’s an unwritten SDN law that trolling to this degree is to be kept in the pre-med forums. We get it-you don’t think people should want go to NYC for training. But alas, people do and will.
We all appreciate your concern. Enjoy your fellowship...in NYC.

This

Yeah i was asking a specific question though. Are they sure they want to MOVE to baltimore or nyc any time soon. 2 places to live right now which are becoming more unsafe every day
lol bruh are you trying to convince people not to rank NYC programs so you can get in?

Also, how can procedure load be “good” when elective surgery volume is down so much in NYC?
Elective surgery volume isn’t down though... if anything it seems even higher than pre-covid because of all the cases that stacked up during quarantine. Do you have evidence to back any of this up or are you just butt hurt that you didn’t match last year and trying to trash NYC programs? As far as the city being unsafe, I don’t know a single person who has felt unsafe living here.

Reactions: 1 user
For the dude/gal that said Michigan is in his/her top 3 don't do it. I had buddies that just graduated from that program. Were not big fans of it. Very little stim and pump exposure with lots of patient phone calls to deal with.

Also yea, I'd ignore Peterlugar. Don't know what his/her deal is, New York programs are fine. I have buddies that just finished from Cornell, Columbia, and Mount Sinai. Some minor impact with procedural volume but overall were happy with their training and had plenty of numbers even with COVID. Know someone at Cornell right now that is really liking it. It's not just NY. COVID is affecting procedural volume pretty much everywhere but you'll still get your numbers and you don't need a 1000 interlams etc. to be good. Best of luck guys.

Last edited:
Elective surgery volume isn’t down though... if anything it seems even higher than pre-covid because of all the cases that stacked up during quarantine. Do you have evidence to back any of this up or are you just butt hurt that you didn’t match last year and trying to trash NYC programs? As far as the city being unsafe, I don’t know a single person who has felt unsafe living here.
the only person who sounds upset or “butthurt” is you. Im currently a fellow in the NY metropolitan area, and yes, volume is down. I know because I have a reference point from pre-covid. Ask any of the reps you work with regarding how many stims they’re selling. And just because your naive friends from the Midwest who thought it would be “fun” to move to NYC right now weren’t victims of crime, it doesn’t detract from the reality of the situation.
There are some people who actually HAVE options in terms of fellowship and don’t have to go to Baltimore or NYC for fellowship. There are others who really don’t have that option. In either case, one can’t make haphazard decisions, especially based on emotional responses like what you gave them. People lie, data doesn’t.

Last edited: