2020-2021 Pain Fellowship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
were you remotely impressed by UCI during the interview?

I've heard UCI is getting better since some senior faculty left a few years ago?

Members don't see this ad.

For the dude/gal that said Michigan is in his/her top 3 don't do it. I had buddies that just graduated from that program. Were not big fans of it. Very little stim and pump exposure with lots of patient phone calls to deal with.

Also yea, I'd ignore Peterlugar. Don't know what his/her deal is, New York programs are fine. I have buddies that just finished from Cornell, Columbia, and Mount Sinai. Some minor impact with procedural volume but overall were happy with their training and had plenty of numbers even with COVID. Know someone at Cornell right now that is really liking it. It's not just NY. COVID is affecting procedural volume pretty much everywhere but you'll still get your numbers and you don't need a 1000 interlams etc. to be good. Best of luck guys.
For what it’s worth, New England volume is down. ESI, MBBs, RFs etc continue, but definitely stims, pumps, advanced stuff is way down. Looking for pain jobs and it is rough. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed, at the end of the day, if I can get a pain job ill be happy.

the only person who sounds upset or “butthurt” is you. Im currently a fellow in the NY metropolitan area, and yes, volume is down. I know because I have a reference point from pre-covid. Ask any of the reps you work with regarding how many stims they’re selling. And just because your naive friends from the Midwest who thought it would be “fun” to move to NYC right now weren’t victims of crime, it doesn’t detract from the reality of the situation.
There are some people who actually HAVE options in terms of fellowship and don’t have to go to Baltimore or NYC for fellowship. There are others who really don’t have that option. In either case, one can’t make haphazard decisions, especially based on emotional responses like what you gave them. People lie, data doesn’t.

Yeah clearly your responses aren't emotional:rofl:. Who's more butthurt, the guy that made two posts about his actual experiences, or the guy who didn't match who's made dozens of posts bashing NYC programs for no apparent reason. All I know is at my program the numbers are fine and are picking up if anything. I have plenty of advanced cases under my belt. Also most of the people I know here are from here not the midwest? Also, NYC was a relatively safe city to begin with per capita wise and crime is up all over the country so your statistics about crime being up don't hold any water unless compared per capita to other parts of the country...

Members don't see this ad :)
For what it’s worth, New England volume is down. ESI, MBBs, RFs etc continue, but definitely stims, pumps, advanced stuff is way down. Looking for pain jobs and it is rough. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed, at the end of the day, if I can get a pain job ill be happy.
Yea unfortunately volume is down at most/all places cause of Ortho and Neurosurg (being your biggest referral base) having to shut down their elective procedures as well. It's all ramping back up though. In terms of jobs yea it is going to be a longer process this year to find one. If you're set on a certain location may be tougher. If you're flexible in terms of location there are still plenty of job openings. Just have to be more aggressive and pick up the phone and cold call practices if you're set on one location rather than relying on emails, postings, and recruiters.

Yeah clearly your responses aren't emotional:rofl:. Who's more butthurt, the guy that made two posts about his actual experiences, or the guy who didn't match who's made dozens of posts bashing NYC programs for no apparent reason. All I know is at my program the numbers are fine and are picking up if anything. I have plenty of advanced cases under my belt. Also most of the people I know here are from here not the midwest? Also, NYC was a relatively safe city to begin with per capita wise and crime is up all over the country so your statistics about crime being up don't hold any water unless compared per capita to other parts of the country...
Thanks bro. Yea I'm not butt hurt whatsoever lol. Just finished fellowship and in my first pain job and loving it. Don't get the NYC bashing either. Wouldn't listen to that noise.

Dartmouth is a solid program. Know someone that enjoyed their experience there. They're one of the centers that's part of the Intercept study. UCI is also solid.
Why you say UCI very solid? In terms of complex procedures seems like you only get average 15-20 under your belt?

Members don't see this ad :)
So in theory are the match results are pretty much in? we are just in a holding pattern for some unclear reason to me for two weeks?

Reactions: 1 user
So in theory are the match results are pretty much in? we are just in a holding pattern for some unclear reason to me for two weeks?

match results were completed probably at 9:00:02 last night. Idk why we have to wait... but at least we just need to wait for 2 weeks i guess.

Do programs and applicants both find out at the same time?

Its probably to give them some buffer time just in case something goes wrong with the system.

I think the two week period is because they compile all the data and create those match results statistics that they release at the same time.

I think the two week period is because they compile all the data and create those match results statistics that they release at the same time.
The match itself only takes 1 second to compile. You’d think they could send that out and follow up with the stats and data afterwards.. I think it’s just a power move more than anything.

Hahaha i remember a few years back people were looking at the “view source” page on NRMP to see their results early. I don’t think you guys will be as lucky though, because the NRMP caught onto it quick

So do we just get an email on 12 pm EST on 10/14 on if and where we matched at, or do the results just become available on NRMP at that time?

I believe you get an email indicating where you matched on that Wednesday.

How does post match for fellowship works ?
" Applicants who learn at 12:00 p.m. eastern time on their Fellowship Match Day that they did not match to a program can access the List of Unfilled Programs in the R3® system. NRMP policy prohibits the sharing of proprietary Match data and information with individuals not authorized to receive it or from posting Match data and information to any website or non-NRMP-related matching service."

From the match website

Best of luck in two days! Has anyone heard if the next cycle will be virtual or in person for interviews?

Best of luck in two days! Has anyone heard if the next cycle will be virtual or in person for interviews?

Haven't heard anything, if I had to guess I would say virtual, but things are so dynamic right now who knows where will be at next year in terms of Covid and fellowship interviewing. Also wanted to say thanks to everybody for posting especially interview dates, this was super nice especially since we didn't get to interact with each other on the interview trail

Its been a long road! Great to see everyone on the trail even if we just awkwardly stared at each others faces for a few hrs :). Good luck to us all tomorrow.

Shaping up to be one of the longest hours of my life, and only 14 min in. Good luck everyone and hope to work with you all in the future.

Reactions: 2 users
Matched! It was such a long wait, but totally worth it.

Congrats everyone!

Wow . Amazing . Out of residency in 2011 and still matched . So whoever is thinking to come back its still possible .

Once I have some time, I’m going to post some updated program reviews and I’d encourage y’all to do the same. It definitely helps to have more information as an applicant. There’s so little information on a lot of programs.

And thoughts on starting a thread with application/interview advice and FAQs for future applicants?

Reactions: 2 users
Once I have some time, I’m going to post some updated program reviews and I’d encourage y’all to do the same. It definitely helps to have more information as an applicant. There’s so little information on a lot of programs.

And thoughts on starting a thread with application/interview advice and FAQs for future applicants?
This would be very helpful for those of us coming down the line.

Wow . Amazing . Out of residency in 2011 and still matched . So whoever is thinking to come back its still possible .
Congrats. Wow! Did you always have an idea you were interested in Pain? What made you want to go back for fellowship?

Oof. Matched! Congrats to everyone else. That was a very stressful period of time I’m happy is in the rearview mirror. Best of luck to those planning for the upcoming season.

I heard a bunch of programs didnt fill, such as Stanford, UC davis, USC, and the VA UCLA program.

I heard a bunch of programs didnt fill, such as Stanford, UC davis, USC, and the VA UCLA program.

According to the report from NRMP, 10 programs (9.8%) didnt fill their spots, including stanford (2 unfilled), USC (2 unfilled), UC Davis (1 unfilled), UCLA-VA (1 unfilled).

Wtf is going on in california? Does anyone have any insight as to why they failed to fill their spots?

Reactions: 1 users
What’s up with stanford going unfilled though? USC had serious problems. But isn’t stanford upper echelon?

it can’t be because of a lack of interest in Pain, because even spots in the absolute worst place in the US to train right now (NYC) supposedly filled...