You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Pain Fellowship Interview Thread
Started by camedstudent23
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I believe you get an email indicating where you matched on that Wednesday.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
" Applicants who learn at 12:00 p.m. eastern time on their Fellowship Match Day that they did not match to a program can access the List of Unfilled Programs in the R3® system. NRMP policy prohibits the sharing of proprietary Match data and information with individuals not authorized to receive it or from posting Match data and information to any website or non-NRMP-related matching service."How does post match for fellowship works ?
From the match website
Best of luck in two days! Has anyone heard if the next cycle will be virtual or in person for interviews?
Best of luck in two days! Has anyone heard if the next cycle will be virtual or in person for interviews?
Haven't heard anything, if I had to guess I would say virtual, but things are so dynamic right now who knows where will be at next year in terms of Covid and fellowship interviewing. Also wanted to say thanks to everybody for posting especially interview dates, this was super nice especially since we didn't get to interact with each other on the interview trail
concsious sedation
New Member
....this is it
This is gonna be a long night.
Its been a long road! Great to see everyone on the trail even if we just awkwardly stared at each others faces for a few hrs 🙂. Good luck to us all tomorrow.
Shaping up to be one of the longest hours of my life, and only 14 min in. Good luck everyone and hope to work with you all in the future.
Woohoo!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Once I have some time, I’m going to post some updated program reviews and I’d encourage y’all to do the same. It definitely helps to have more information as an applicant. There’s so little information on a lot of programs.
And thoughts on starting a thread with application/interview advice and FAQs for future applicants?
And thoughts on starting a thread with application/interview advice and FAQs for future applicants?
Who matched where?
This would be very helpful for those of us coming down the line.Once I have some time, I’m going to post some updated program reviews and I’d encourage y’all to do the same. It definitely helps to have more information as an applicant. There’s so little information on a lot of programs.
And thoughts on starting a thread with application/interview advice and FAQs for future applicants?
Congrats. Wow! Did you always have an idea you were interested in Pain? What made you want to go back for fellowship?Wow . Amazing . Out of residency in 2011 and still matched . So whoever is thinking to come back its still possible .
Oof. Matched! Congrats to everyone else. That was a very stressful period of time I’m happy is in the rearview mirror. Best of luck to those planning for the upcoming season.
Matched!!! We made it!
concsious sedation
New Member
UT SOUTHWESTERN!!!! whos gonna be a cofellow?!
nice!UT SOUTHWESTERN!!!! whos gonna be a cofellow?!
congrats y’all. What were the match results, % accepted etc
I heard a bunch of programs didnt fill, such as Stanford, UC davis, USC, and the VA UCLA program.
I heard a bunch of programs didnt fill, such as Stanford, UC davis, USC, and the VA UCLA program.
According to the report from NRMP, 10 programs (9.8%) didnt fill their spots, including stanford (2 unfilled), USC (2 unfilled), UC Davis (1 unfilled), UCLA-VA (1 unfilled).
Wtf is going on in california? Does anyone have any insight as to why they failed to fill their spots?
What’s up with stanford going unfilled though? USC had serious problems. But isn’t stanford upper echelon?
According to the report from NRMP, 10 programs (9.8%) didnt fill their spots, including stanford (2 unfilled), USC (2 unfilled), UC Davis (1 unfilled), UCLA-VA (1 unfilled).
Holy crap... Stanford?!
it can’t be because of a lack of interest in Pain, because even spots in the absolute worst place in the US to train right now (NYC) supposedly filled...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
it can’t be because of a lack of interest in Pain, because even spots in the absolute worst place in the US to train right now (NYC) supposedly filled...
Speaking for myself... I was denied an interview at all those programs that didnt fill. So I doubt it was lack of interest. I wonder if they just interviewed fewer people or got cocky with their rank lists? Or maybe they just chose to have fewer fellows this year bc of low volume..?
This wouldve been a great year to SOAP. Now I wish I hadnt matched haha
According to the report from NRMP, 10 programs (9.8%) didnt fill their spots, including stanford (2 unfilled), USC (2 unfilled), UC Davis (1 unfilled), UCLA-VA (1 unfilled).
Wtf is going on in california? Does anyone have any insight as to why they failed to fill their spots?
what other programs just curious
What was the match rate for applicants. I think last year was close to 80%?
what other programs just curious
What was the match rate for applicants. I think last year was close to 80%?
U of Alabama
U of Colorado
U of Minnesota
U of Utah
U of Vermont
U of Washington
85.3% match rate
According to the report from NRMP, 10 programs (9.8%) didnt fill their spots, including stanford (2 unfilled), USC (2 unfilled), UC Davis (1 unfilled), UCLA-VA (1 unfilled).
Wtf is going on in california? Does anyone have any insight as to why they failed to fill their spots?
You mean, besides the fact that its on fire, experiencing multiple droughts, unreasonable high COL, high taxes, and a phyisican non-friendly state?
probably because no one rejected interviews this year because they didnt need to buy plan tickets, so the people who normally would have gotten interviews during the second wave didnt receive them
Correct me if I am wrong- but I was thought Stanford was considered not as interventional or procedurally oriented which can definitely steer some folks away. UC Davis is the most surprising for me on that list. Strange year with COVID though which surely played into this outcome.
Congrats everyone! Can someone point me towards the NRMP match data from this year's match? Im having trouble finding it.
Eh, Stanford is no worse than say Kentucky, Maryland, Boulder, VCU or some other more balanced approach programs. I think their prior flaw was you tended to have all your procedure days bunched up with stretches of nothing but clinic in between. That's going away starting January 1st, btw. I say this as someone who is at Stanford right now.Correct me if I am wrong- but I was thought Stanford was considered not as interventional or procedurally oriented which can definitely steer some folks away. UC Davis is the most surprising for me on that list. Strange year with COVID though which surely played into this outcome.
Ah, got ya-thanks for the clarification. I know nothing of the other programs you list but do know a few previous Stanford fellows which is what I based my assumption on. Since you are there, was there talk/ideas about why the unfilled slot this year?Eh, Stanford is no worse than say Kentucky, Maryland, Boulder, VCU or some other more balanced approach programs. I think their prior flaw was you tended to have all your procedure days bunched up with stretches of nothing but clinic in between. That's going away starting January 1st, btw. I say this as someone who is at Stanford right now.
Congrats everyone. What a time to be alive.
Eh, Stanford is no worse than say Kentucky, Maryland, Boulder, VCU or some other more balanced approach programs. I think their prior flaw was you tended to have all your procedure days bunched up with stretches of nothing but clinic in between. That's going away starting January 1st, btw. I say this as someone who is at Stanford right now.
Kentucky is pretty interventional....
Ah, got ya-thanks for the clarification. I know nothing of the other programs you list but do know a few previous Stanford fellows which is what I based my assumption on. Since you are there, was there talk/ideas about why the unfilled slot this year?
Congrats everyone. What a time to be alive.
They are going to try to fill them through the scramble, but their goal is to have someone that fits with the program and culture more so than a warm body to fill the slot.
Upcoming applicant for this coming application cycle -- for those who matched successfully, congrats... Was there any advantage of submitting super early?
Definitely not. Take your time. Applying by mid February is perfectly fine.
Upcoming applicant for this coming application cycle -- for those who matched successfully, congrats... Was there any advantage of submitting super early?
I'd say by end of January is super early. Hardly any programs start looking at apps and offering interviews before then. The one notable exception from what I recall is UCLA Cedar Sinai, if I'm not mistaken.
I agree that mid-February is probably fine. That being said, you should start on your application as early as possible and try to aim for submitting somewhere in January, unless you have a good reason to wait (ie publication pending acceptance, or some award, etc). Some programs do review apps and offer interviews on a first-submitted, first-served basis, and you want to give yourself every advantage possible.
In the spirit of full disclosure: I submitted most of my applications the first week of February, and added some more programs later on in the cycle. The program I ended up matching at was one I added later (mid-march), and it was one of my favorite programs. So in hindsight applying earlier made no difference in my case.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there any problem with submitting for the December opening? I do have a few submitted papers, but I was just going to update programs if they got accepted.I'd say by end of January is super early. Hardly any programs start looking at apps and offering interviews before then. The one notable exception from what I recall is UCLA Cedar Sinai, if I'm not mistaken.
I agree that mid-February is probably fine. That being said, you should start on your application as early as possible and try to aim for submitting somewhere in January, unless you have a good reason to wait (ie publication pending acceptance, or some award, etc). Some programs do review apps and offer interviews on a first-submitted, first-served basis, and you want to give yourself every advantage possible.
In the spirit of full disclosure: I submitted most of my applications the first week of February, and added some more programs later on in the cycle. The program I ended up matching at was one I added later (mid-march), and it was one of my favorite programs. So in hindsight applying earlier made no difference in my case.
Is there any problem with submitting for the December opening? I do have a few submitted papers, but I was just going to update programs if they got accepted.
No problem with it. That’s when i submitted, it’s just not necessary and there no value added by submitting THAT early.
Is there any problem with submitting for the December opening? I do have a few submitted papers, but I was just going to update programs if they got accepted.
Just keep in mind, some programs don't accept applications in December, so check in often to see when they become available in ERAS otherwise you may miss your chance to apply in a timely fashion.
My class got a welcome and congratulatory email from PD stating that more information was to come around December/Jan from the program coordinator and also advising to start the process for medical licensure early if from out of state.I know match was only a week ago but has anyone heard anything from their matched to programs? in regards to contract, paperwork, etc or should we just wait till the spring?
If you didn't hear anything, you could always just reach out to the PD or PC obviously- but I am sure someone from your institution will be in contact at some point, they do this every year.