2020-2021 Postdoc Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you!! I’m sorry to hear about the rejections, what’s meant to be will be and where we get placed for postdoc is exactly where we’re supposed to be

How long did you wait till after applying to send that email?!

Not OP, but I waited over a month after submitting my applications to send that email.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Not OP, but I waited over a month after submitting my applications to send that email.
Yeah then I’m totally going to reach out to sites I applied to in the beginning of December! The wait is the worst!

Thank you!! I’m sorry to hear about the rejections, what’s meant to be will be and where we get placed for postdoc is exactly where we’re supposed to be

How long did you wait till after applying to send that email?!
Most of my applications were due January 1st so I guess I waited about 3 weeks lol. It doesnt sound like a lot but I needed to plan for INS. And you're right I belive that too, thank you for the best wishes!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah then I’m totally going to reach out to sites I applied to in the beginning of December! The wait is the worst!
I would definitely reach out at this point! (Coming from the guy that waited 3 weeks lol)

Does anyone attending INS for interviews know if we have to actually register for the conference in order to do the interviews and network with any sites recruiting at INS?

thanks! That’s what I was assuming. Have you heard any info about how things work for sites just starting to recruit at INS?
I havent, I didnt even know that was a thing lol. Please share whatever you know, I'd like to know more.

I havent, I didnt even know that was a thing lol. Please share whatever you know, I'd like to know more.

I was told by a supervisor that some sites (mostly private practices) will be recruiting there. That’s all the info I know unfortunately.

I was told by a supervisor that some sites (mostly private practices) will be recruiting there. That’s all the info I know unfortunately.
Ahh I've heard generally to stay away from private practices. Unless they can guarantee you'll be able to get a Houston guidelines experience

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know what the cons are of matching to a non-APPCN member site? A couple of the sites I’m interviewing at are non-APPCN, but wasn’t sure of what implications it would have if I were to match at either of those places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know what the cons are of matching to a non-APPCN member site? A couple of the sites I’m interviewing at are non-APPCN, but wasn’t sure of what implications it would have if I were to match at either of those places.

It's extremely variable. With APPCN sites, you are generally guaranteed a certain level of training and didactic experiences. With non-match sites, you better do your homework. That is, there are definitely very good sites that are non-match. But, there are also many predatory sites and private practices looking for cheap labor in the mix too. Make sure you're getting the clinical training experiences that you need, as well as adequate didactic experiences. Especially in the neuro realm, I would want to make sure that I was board eligible with my training.

Reactions: 1 users

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but the benefit of the APPCN sites is that it will make the board certification process super straight forward and simple. The main thing with the non APPCN sites is making sure they follow the houston guidelines.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's extremely variable. With APPCN sites, you are generally guaranteed a certain level of training and didactic experiences. With non-match sites, you better do your homework. That is, there are definitely very good sites that are non-match. But, there are also many predatory sites and private practices looking for cheap labor in the mix too. Make sure you're getting the clinical training experiences that you need, as well as adequate didactic experiences. Especially in the neuro realm, I would want to make sure that I was board eligible with my training.

Got it. The sites are non-APPCN but still match. They also said in their brochures that they conform to Div40/HCG for board-eligibility, so I wasn’t sure if there was anything beyond that to confirm when I interview.

Got it. The sites are non-APPCN but still match. They also said in their brochures that they conform to Div40/HCG for board-eligibility, so I wasn’t sure if there was anything beyond that to confirm when I interview.

Sounds good. If it's not in the brochure, I'd just want to know about didactics, that seems to be the biggest issue of variance in the non-match sites IMO.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if APPCN match has a phase 2 in case you don’t match? Are there usually sites still available after match? I did not get as many interviews as I was hoping for and am feeling a little anxious lol

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if APPCN match has a phase 2 in case you don’t match? Are there usually sites still available after match? I did not get as many interviews as I was hoping for and am feeling a little anxious lol

There is no phase 2 but you can apply to sites that still have openings after the match. But be quick, those sites go super quick.

Source: didn’t match, was lucky to find somewhere after the fact

Reactions: 2 users
There is no phase 2 but you can apply to sites that still have openings after the match. But be quick, those sites go super quick.

How do you look up the sites after the fact? Through the match website?

Where do you find those sites that still have openings after the match?

Where do you find those sites that still have openings after the match?

From a recent email from APPCN

Adjustments.jpg

Where will those sites be listed?! I didn’t go through the portal, I applied to sites on my own!

It’s been a couple of years so take whatever I say with a grain of salt:

1. APPCN post-match: I’m not sure if the process is similar to internship (you can only apply to those sites which remain if you participated in the match). But either way, your match email will have a link for the post-match vacancies that you can apply to.

2. APPIC Universal postdoc directory: I think I only applied to one which required APPA CAS but that listing will have a number of non-match sites. There’s an option to sort by unfilled positions.

3. List-serv emails: Probably heaviest hitter for non-match (and probably match also) positions that remain after match day. The day of match, emails went out pretty quickly for sites that still had openings.

The most important thing is that these remaining positions fill fast. I think I gave myself 30 minutes to wallow in self-pity before pushing myself to apply for new positions, and by that point positions were already filled (probably non-match positions that already had their choices waiting for match). But positions go quick. I had restricted myself relatively (200+ mile area) which in hindsight was a mistake. But I was lucky to find a position at a respected AMC that had not been filled. But either way, try to move fast.

I’m happy to answer other questions, I have a slow day today.

Reactions: 4 users
It’s been a couple of years so take whatever I say with a grain of salt:

1. APPCN post-match: I’m not sure if the process is similar to internship (you can only apply to those sites which remain if you participated in the match). But either way, your match email will have a link for the post-match vacancies that you can apply to.

2. APPIC Universal postdoc directory: I think I only applied to one which required APPA CAS but that listing will have a number of non-match sites. There’s an option to sort by unfilled positions.

3. List-serv emails: Probably heaviest hitter for non-match (and probably match also) positions that remain after match day. The day of match, emails went out pretty quickly for sites that still had openings.

The most important thing is that these remaining positions fill fast. I think I gave myself 30 minutes to wallow in self-pity before pushing myself to apply for new positions, and by that point positions were already filled (probably non-match positions that already had their choices waiting for match). But positions go quick. I had restricted myself relatively (200+ mile area) which in hindsight was a mistake. But I was lucky to find a position at a respected AMC that had not been filled. But either way, try to move fast.

I’m happy to answer other questions, I have a slow day today.

Thanks for the info, it's super helpful! Since there is a high likelihood that I will not match, is applying to the sites that remain after match day just like applying to sites first round? (i.e. requires cover letters and everything?). I have to work that day and am wondering how I'm going to apply to these places given the time crunch. I'm thinking maybe it might be worth trying to take the day off, or take a half day.

Site name: Kaiser Permanente Central Bay Consortium - Oakland
-Track (if applicable): Hospital and Crisis Emphasis
-Invite or rejection: Invite
-Date notified: 1/23
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): mass email
-Interview date: 2/12 or 2/19

Site Name: Advent Health
Track: Neuropsych
Invite or rejection: Invite
Notification date: 1/23
Notification method: personalized email
Interview dates: at INS, 2/5-2/7

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks for the info, it's super helpful! Since there is a high likelihood that I will not match, is applying to the sites that remain after match day just like applying to sites first round? (i.e. requires cover letters and everything?). I have to work that day and am wondering how I'm going to apply to these places given the time crunch. I'm thinking maybe it might be worth trying to take the day off, or take a half day.

I tweaked existing cover letters and sent the same materials I sent elsewhere. I imagine there’s an understanding that it’s a time crunch, so I don’t think a mediocre cover letter will make a difference.

I went into work but had a writing day, so my supervisors were supportive and gave me time to work on this stuff. Some people do take a half day

I sure as heck would take at least half a day.

Has anyone heard from NYU Child Study Center regarding interviews?

Has anyone heard from NYU Child Study Center regarding interviews?
Hey! I just emailed yesterday (for the adhd and disruptive behaviors center) asking about interviews. I'll post if/when I hear back.

Hey! I just emailed yesterday (for the adhd and disruptive behaviors center) asking about interviews. I'll post if/when I hear back.
Thanks! I emailed last week for Anxiety & Mood and they said we would likely hear back this week. Was trying to figure out if the silence was me not receiving an interview or if they still hadn't sent the invitations.

Has anyone heard from Mt. Sinai/St. Luke's Center for Intensive Treatment of Personality Disorders (New York City) OR Sheppard Pratt's Trauma Disorders Program (Baltimore, MD) regarding postdoc interviews?

If anyone applied to the Child Mind Institute in NYC, it's worth emailing to follow up. I submitted my app last month, followed up yesterday, and was told that they're reviewing apps but wanted to extend an interview invite to me anyway.

If anyone applied to Hines VA (trauma track) or Jesse Brown VA (PTSD/SUD track) in Chicago: they have not sent out formal rejections yet but did share in a follow-up email that they have sent out their first wave of requests for interviews, and will only send out a second wave if the spots are not filled by suitable candidates from that batch.

Anyone heard from Rush yet?

Forensic folks - has anyone heard from Center for Behavioral Medicine in Kansas City?

HELP! I am desperate for advice! I am location limited. I applied to a couple local sites for clinical postdocs. My top choice is my current internship site that participates in the UND on 2/24. The other is a private practice that will make offers on 2/1, which is a Saturday, and only gives 24 hrs to accept (and I have learned don't make any extensions). The private practice was pretty cool but I prefer to stay with my current internship site because it better aligns with my overall goals. Unfortunately, my postdoc committee will likely be offline next weekend so if I do get an offer from the private practice, and I email my current site requesting a reciprocal offer, they won't likely get it until after the 24hr deadline. I am really stressed about this since I need to live locally. Is there anything I can do? I don't know if I should approach my TD about this. I don't want to put her in an uncomfortable position if they aren't considering me. And I also don't want to turn down the private practice in case my site chooses someone else.

Any tips for navigating this? Is it okay to approach my TD about this pickle?

I dont want to haphazardly tell you to do anything one way or another, I'm sure different people will have different opinions on the matter. Personally, if it were me and I had a good working relationship with my TD, I would try to reach out before hand and let them know the potential situation I might be in and if ask they could offer any guidance.

Site name: Eastern State Hospital
-Track (if applicable): Forensic
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): personal email
-Interview date: 1/30 or 2/3

Site name: Cambridge Health Alliance
-Track (if applicable): Psychological Assessment Services/Program for Psychotherapy
-Interview date: 2/10 or 2/11

Site name: Umass Medical School
-Track (if applicable): Forensic
-Invite or rejection: rejection :(

-Site name: Alpert Medical School of Brown University Clinical Psychology Training Program
-Track (if applicable): Early Childhood
-Invite or rejection: Invite (finally!)
-Date notified: 1/24
-Interview date: 2/6, 12, 13

*Adolescent Intensive Services sent out notifications 1/23*

Last edited:
-Site name: Alpert Medical School of Brown University Clinical Psychology Training Program
-Track (if applicable): Early Childhood
-Invite or rejection: Invite (finally!)
-Date notified: 1/24
-Interview date: 2/6, 12, 13

*Adolescent Intensive Services sent out notifications 1/23*

Ok so no invite from intensive services.... We'll see about the other programs....

ok thanks. I assumed since it was so far past their deadline it must be a rejection lol

haha no worries. I was in the same position this week with another site that finally put me out of my misery yesterday and sent me a rejection email. I wish sites had to adhere to notification deadlines like we have to adhere to application deadlines :happy:

Reactions: 4 users