Mar 2, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
Yes, take those community college science classes since if you raise your sGPA to 3.0 it will significantly increase your chances for interviews. Those classes will count towards your undergraduate sGPA.
Thank you for the list, helps a lot!. I just want to confirm one thing because I keep getting different responses (even from AMCAS). So the post bacc I'm in (that happens to grant a masters in the process) that I have 40+ credits of science classes (3.85) will NOT count raising my undergrad sGPA of 2.8 but the community college classes will?? Is this not the point of a post bacc? I don't want to be screened out so I will do whatever it takes to raise it but I also don't want to have to spend unnecessary money during this time on additional cc classes if I really don't have to.

Thank you for your patience, I know I ask a lot of questions :X3:

Last edited:

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
Thank you for the list, helps a lot!. I just want to confirm one thing because I keep getting different responses (even from AMCAS). So the post bacc I'm in (that happens to grant a masters in the process) that I have 40+ credits of science classes (3.85) will NOT count raising my undergrad sGPA of 2.8 but the community college classes will?? Is this not the point of a post bacc? I don't want to be screened out so I will do whatever it takes to raise it but I also don't want to have to spend unnecessary money during this time on additional cc classes if I really don't have to.

Thank you for your patience, I know I ask a lot of questions :X3:
You will need to check with AMCAS to see if your Masters science courses will be included in your undergraduate sGPA. Community College science courses do count toward your undergraduate sGPA.

Reactions: Huey410

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
Yes, I applied to all of them. I actually just got my first interview at UT San Antonio. I also applied to a broad range of schools in the US:
- Boston University
- Duke
- Cornell
- Wake Forest
- Harvard
- University of Maryland SOM
- Emory
- Mayo Clinic
- Stanford
- Sydney Kimmel
- Western Michigan
- Miller School of Medicine (Miami)
- University of Pittsburg
- Brown University
- University of Michigan
- Case Western
- Dartmouth
- Tufts
@Faha, do you think that this list was well-balanced for my stats?
Yes.

Reactions: clxudio
About the Ads
Sep 19, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you so much! I appreciate it. Interview season should start soon for me, so I hope it all goes well! :)

Feb 12, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello everyone, I've been watching this thread for a while and would love some input, especially form @Faha . best of luck with your applications.

Can you share your opinion on my MD school list?

URM: Black, Female, CA
Undergrad: UC school
Major: Human Biology, Psychology, BS and BA 2020 grad
MCAT: 492--->504(125/128/125/126)
cGPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.41(amcas)
nonsgpa: 3.9(amcas)
Research: 1105hrs, Home university research in infectious disease one pub 4th author, and mention in another publication from REU program. 3 posters all 1st author.
Leadership: 600hrs reported (I have more but was unable to mention it in the work/activities) President, director, and co-head to a committee, contributed to 4 conferences.
Paid Employment not med: 1174hrs, Student Assistant in a core lab facility, legal intern.
Tutoring: 400hrs, certified in Biology, Psychology.
Volunteering not med: 700hrs total 350hrs Research Assistant for translational research, 350 hours Community Service in schools county.
Volunteering med: 120hrs total 40hr abroad, 80hrs US.
Shadowing: 115hrs, OBGYN, Family, Pediatrics, Anesthesiologist, General Surgeon, infectious disease.
Hobbies: 1500hrs, art, since college.
Awards: merit scholarships, 3 years totaling $3500, Graduation honors with honors in Human Biology and highest honors in Psychology.

Last edited:

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
Hello everyone, I've been watching this thread for a while and would love some input, especially form @Faha . best of luck with your applications.

Can you share your opinion on my MD school list?

URM: Black, Female, CA
Undergrad: UC school
Major: Human Biology, Psychology, BS and BA 2020 grad
MCAT: 492--->504(125/128/125/126)
sGPA: 3.41(amcas)
nonsgpa: 3.9(amcas)
Research: 1105hrs, Home university research in infectious disease one pub 4th author, and mention in another publication from REU program. 3 posters all 1st author.
Leadership: 600hrs reported (I have more but was unable to mention it in the work/activities) President, director, and co-head to a committee, contributed to 4 conferences.
Paid Employment not med: 1174hrs, Student Assistant in a core lab facility, legal intern.
Tutoring: 400hrs, certified in Biology, Psychology.
Volunteering not med: 700hrs total 350hrs Research Assistant for translational research, 350 hours Community Service in schools county.
Volunteering med: 120hrs total 40hr abroad, 80hrs US.
Shadowing: 115hrs, OBGYN, Family, Pediatrics, Anesthesiologist, General Surgeon, infectious disease.
Hobbies: 1500hrs, art, since college.
Awards: merit scholarships, 3 years totaling $3500, Graduation honors with honors in Human Biology and highest honors in Psychology.

School list:

UCLA
UCLA-Drew
Kaiser
UC Riverside
Loma Linda
UC Davis
Boston (took classes here before)
Loyola
U Illinois
Wayne
Tufts
Howard
Jacobs(Buffalo)
Michigan State
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Geisinger Commonwealth
George Washington
Drexel
Jefferson
Quinnipiac
Tulane
Medical College Wisconsin
Georgetown
Albert Einstein
Pennsylvania State
University of Vermont
Albany Medical College
New York Medical College
Creighton
You have a good list and should receive several interviews. You could add any of these schools:
UC Irvine
Meharry
Morehouse
Miami
St. Louis
Pittsburgh
Ohio State
Indiana

Feb 12, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
You have a good list and should receive several interviews. You could add any of these schools:
UC Irvine
Meharry
Morehouse
Miami
St. Louis
Pittsburgh
Ohio State
Indiana
Thank you! I really appreciate your input. I forgot to add that I retook the MCAT and am currently waiting for my score release.

Jul 31, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi all, I was wondering if you guys think I should add more schools to my list. Any input is appreciated. :)

Background: Female, veteran, disadvantaged, FAP recipient, technically a CA applicant but lived in AZ for 20+ years
URM: Hispanic (Mexican),
Undergrad: U of Arizona, 5+ years ago
Major: Neuroscience and Cognitive Science/Molecular and Cellular Biology
MCAT: 509, evenly distributed
sGPA: 3.4
(Note: I had hardships during my junior/senior year with my mother being sick that affected my GPA and I have addressed in my application)
Post-bacc GPA: 4.0, most are science classes
Paid Clinical Employment: 2100 hours as a medical assistant, 3800 as a sleep technologist (for which I am licensed- RPSGT). Not including my clinical research position as it is listed below
Research: ~1000 undergrad research experience in psychology labs. 7500 hours doing clinical research as a RPSGT at a T30 school doing sleep, pulmonary, and critical care research. I have 2 first author abstracts accepted at an international conference and am on several other papers + abstracts as middle author.
Clinical/Non Clinical Volunteering: 400 at a homeless women's shelter, many of which I was a lead overnight volunteer. Currently volunteering at a company whose focus is on homeless and elderly populations, should have ~150 hours by matriculation (cut short due to COVID, yadayada). 300 hours during undergrad visiting elementary schools to engage with students about neuroscience.
Paid Employment not med: A bunch of hours as an Airman in US Air Force, ~2200 hours as an assistant manager at an ice cream shop, 2700 hours as a behavioral health technician working with kids with behavioral diagnoses through Arizona's Medicaid program (I didn't classify this as clinical but I did do a lot of clinical stuff here)
Tutoring: 960 hours as a lab instructor for introductory biology lab
Shadowing: 55 hours across different specialties such as neurology, neurosurgery, sleep medicine, and critical care

School list: (Note: I passed through the schools with screens very quickly and currently I am complete at all of these schools)
Albany Medical
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Quillen
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Kaiser Permanente
Loyola
New York Medical College
Oakland University William Beaumont
Rush
Tulane
USF
University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix
University of Arizona College of Medicine – Tucson
University of California, Davis
University of California, Irvine,
University of California, Los Angeles
University of California, Riverside
University of California, San Diego
University of Colorado
University of Michigan
Virginia Commonwealth
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
Wayne State
Wright State

Last edited:

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
Hi all, I was wondering if you guys think I should add more schools to my list. Any input is appreciated. :)

Background: Female, veteran, disadvantaged, FAP recipient, technically a CA applicant but lived in AZ for 20+ years
URM: Hispanic (Mexican),
Undergrad: U of Arizona, 5+ years ago
Major: Neuroscience and Cognitive Science/Molecular and Cellular Biology
MCAT: 509, evenly distributed
sGPA: 3.4
(Note: I had hardships during my junior/senior year with my mother being sick that affected my GPA and I have addressed in my application)
Post-bacc GPA: 4.0, most are science classes
Paid Clinical Employment: 2100 hours as a medical assistant, 3800 as a sleep technologist (for which I am licensed- RPSGT). Not including my clinical research position as it is listed below
Research: ~1000 undergrad research experience in psychology labs. 7500 hours doing clinical research as a RPSGT at a T30 school doing sleep, pulmonary, and critical care research. I have 2 first author abstracts accepted at an international conference and am on several other papers + abstracts as middle author.
Clinical/Non Clinical Volunteering: 400 at a homeless women's shelter, many of which I was a lead overnight volunteer. Currently volunteering at a company whose focus is on homeless and elderly populations, should have ~150 hours by matriculation (cut short due to COVID, yadayada). 300 hours during undergrad visiting elementary schools to engage with students about neuroscience.
Paid Employment not med: A bunch of hours as an Airman in US Air Force, ~2200 hours as an assistant manager at an ice cream shop, 2700 hours as a behavioral health technician working with kids with behavioral diagnoses through Arizona's Medicaid program (I didn't classify this as clinical but I did do a lot of clinical stuff here)
Tutoring: 960 hours as a lab instructor for introductory biology lab
Shadowing: 55 hours across different specialties such as neurology, neurosurgery, sleep medicine, and critical care

School list: (Note: I passed through the schools with screens very quickly and currently I am complete at all of these schools)
Albany Medical
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Quillen
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Kaiser Permanente
Loyola
New York Medical College
Oakland University William Beaumont
Rush
Tulane
USF
University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix
University of Arizona College of Medicine – Tucson
University of California, Davis
University of California, Irvine,
University of California, Los Angeles
University of California, Riverside
University of California, San Diego
University of Colorado
University of Michigan
Virginia Commonwealth
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
Wayne State
Wright State
You should receive several interviews from the schools you applied to. You could add any of these schools:
Boston University
Brown
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Miami
TCU-UNT

Jul 31, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
You should receive several interviews from the schools you applied to. You could add any of these schools:
Boston University
Brown
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Miami
TCU-UNT
Thank you so much, you are so kind and generous!

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
URM- AA Male
Undergrad: Mid-tier public school in Maryland
Major: Functional bio
Undergrad cGPA- 3.23
Undergrad sGPA- 2.8 (not counting post bacc)
Post-Bacc Masters GPA (48 Units total): 3.85
MCAT- 500 (125/124/126/125) (considering retaking)
Work: Medical Assistant: 1500+ hours (and counting), Scribe: 1200+ Hours, Inner city Middle School Science Teacher: 2 years
Volunteer: Run an after school pre-health club to help connect my kids with medical professionals who share their experience/answer their questions
Shadowing- 300 hrs Anesthesiologist
Maryland Resident

Strong commitment to underserved communities, would like to continue throughout medical school.
Hoping for a school list, thanks! good luck everyone.

@Faha would you be able to provide a list of MD/DO schools that I would be able to apply to if you have time?
I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
U Maryland
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
West Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Loyola
Indiana
Wright State
Creighton
TCU-UNT
For DO schools I suggest these:
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
PCOM (all schools)
MU-COM
UIWSOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
WCU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
You could receive interviews at any of these DO schools with your stats. You may also receive some MD interviews.

About the Ads

LaPioche37

5+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi everyone, bit late to the party, but just got my retake score back. App verified and main secondaries pre-written, ready to go. Was hoping to get inputs on a list with this new mcat score if @Faha or anyone could help. Thank you all!

Background: Male, NY, FAP
URM: Latino
Undergrad: T20
Major: Neuro, Global & Public Health
MCAT: 509---> 515
cGPA: 3.25
sGPA: 3.45
Post-bacc GPA: 3.85, over 100 credits upper level science, ended up getting a second degree from these credits
Research: RNA lab part time for 1.5 yrs; Neuro lab full time for 4 yrs while taking post-bacc classes. 1 pub, multiple posters and conferences, 2 papers in progress to be submitted
Clinical: 250+ hours as a patient navigator , 100+ hours at a free clinic, 2 medical brigades abroad, 1 summer internship at a public hospital , 1 summer internship at hospital pharmacy in Spanish-speaking community
Shadowing: 100+ hours shadowing Peds, ER, Surgery and Family Medicine; Shadowing abroad
Non-Clinical Volunteering: 400+ hrs: On the board for a non-profit organization, Taught sex ed in public high schools, high school mentoring, college alumni association
Non-clinical employment: Tutoring 100+ hours, Spanish & Sciences; non-teaching adjunct in bio dept
Extracurricular Activities: Dance ensemble throughout college, soccer teams

Last edited:

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
Hi everyone, bit late to the party, but just got my retake score back. App verified and main secondaries pre-written, ready to go. Was hoping to get inputs on a list with this new mcat score if @Faha or anyone could help. Thank you all!

Background: Male, NY, FAP
URM: Latino, (South America, native Spanish speaker)
Undergrad: Ivy
Major: Neurobiology, Global & Public Health
MCAT: 509---> 515
cGPA: 3.25
sGPA: 3.45
Post-bacc GPA: 3.85, over 100 credits upper level science, ended up getting a second degree from these credits
Research: RNA-protein lab part time for 1.5 yrs; Neuro lab full time for 4 yrs while taking post-bacc classes. 1 publication, multiple poster presentations and travel awards for conferences, 2 papers in progress to be submitted
Clinical: 250+ hours as a patient navigator at hospital, 100+ hours at a free clinic (associated with a medical school in the area), 2 medical brigades abroad in South America, 1 summer internship at a public hospital in south america, 1 summer internship at hospital pharmacy in Spanish-speaking community
Shadowing: 100+ hours shadowing following specialties: Pediatrics, ER, Surgery and Family Medicine; Also shadowed while participating in medical brigades abroad
Non-Clinical Volunteering: 400+ hrs: On the board for a non-profit organization that runs free sports leagues for kids, Taught sex ed in public high schools around nyc, high school mentoring, college alumni association and interviewing incoming applicants, fraternity focused on community service
Non-clinical employment: Tutoring 100+ hours, Spanish & Sciences; non-teaching adjunct in bio dept
Extracurricular Activities: Dance ensemble throughout college, soccer teams
I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNYs
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Boston University
Tufts
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
NOVA MD
Miami
USF Morsani
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Rush
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State

LaPioche37

5+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNYs
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Boston University
Tufts
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
NOVA MD
Miami
USF Morsani
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Rush
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Thank you!! Is TCU-UNT out of state friendly? Didn't know.
Also, any reaches you might recommend to go for with the new score?

Jul 22, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey everyone, I am in desperate need of help for my school list. Ive been waiting for my mcat score today.

Background: Female, disadvantaged, FAP recipient, NJ resident
URM: Hispanic (Puerto Rican) and Black
Undergrad: Monmouth University, 4 years
Major: Biology
Minor: Statistics
MCAT: 490, 491, 493 ----> 498 today (126/121/126/125)
cGPA: 3.4
sGPA: 3.0
Post-bacc GPA: 3.9, most are science classes
Paid Clinical Employment: 5,000 hours as a medical scribe in the emergency department
Research: statistical research on brain cancer and research regarding tropical ecology in the Bahamas
Clinical/Non Clinical Volunteering: 200 hours in the hospital volunteering, food pantry in churches (100 hours)
Paid Employment not med: Zumba instructor, chemistry lab assistant, tour guide, and residential assistant
Shadowing: 300 hours of shadowing pedi and surgery

Ive applied to Howard (dream school)

Reactions: mddoc

Rising_Sagicorn

2+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
@Mellyjelly123 Is this school list for next cycle? I dont agree with the statement that anything less than a 508 should be retaken especially if your goal is just to be a doctor. I will say that many schools may have filters and thus your score may take you out of an initial screening but this is also your 4th time taking the MCAT. Your ecs may help with schools that do a manual 2nd screening but I would not bank on that.

Reactions: MedicalStudent2021
About the Ads
Jul 22, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
I listed my mcat scores and etc to see if you guys think any other schools would be worth applying to...... I understand my mcat is low. It is not an easy process for everyone. My biggest concern is the 121 in CARS

• Care
Reactions: Rising_Sagicorn

Rising_Sagicorn

2+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I listed my mcat scores and etc to see if you guys think any other schools would be worth applying to...... I understand my mcat is low. It is not an easy process for everyone. My biggest concern is the 121 in CARS
Is this school list for next cycle? I do think applying to all the HBCUs and DO schools are your best bet if sticking with this mcat score but even with their stats, you still may be too low. If applying next cycle, it might be worth it to retake the mcat again and try to get above the 500 mark

Maybe @Faha and @OchemOficionado can help more

Reactions: Shotapp
Jul 22, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
Is this school list for next cycle? I do think applying to all the HBCUs and DO schools are your best bet if sticking with this mcat score but even with their stats, you still may be too low. If applying next cycle, it might be worth it to retake the mcat again and try to get above the 500 mark

Maybe @Faha and @OchemOficionado can help more
I’ve applied to HCBU already. I haven’t applied to DO yet

Oct 5, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi all - looking for advice.

First-gen Mexican American female
sGPA: 3.3
MCAT: 500
Major: Biochemistry
No clinical volunteering (red flag, I know)
Non-clinical volunteering: 300 (as a peer health educator and peer counselor, ongoing)
Clinical job: 250 hours (scribe at an underserved community)
Non-clinical job: 1200 hours (retail)
Research: 1000 hours (presented work at national conference and have given talks on research)
Shadowing: 10 in cardiology, 8 pediatrics
Currently working as a teaching assistant teaching algebra to children from Mexico.

Wondering what I look like now if I don't retake MCAT, where I could get in. Ideally I want to retake in the spring and get closer to 510 range but any feedback appreciated.

mddoc

15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2005
Hi, Does anyone know what schools are good in TX for students with lower stats but high ECs? Thanks.

HtownNittanyLion

5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Hi, Does anyone know what schools are good in TX for students with lower stats but high ECs? Thanks.
Define “high” ECs. ECs are relative.

But you could apply to the newer MD and DO schools across the state. Also TX schools have regional preferences. For instance, UT RGV looks highly for those from the Valley. Foster and Lubbock look for those from West Texas, etc...

mddoc

15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2005
Define “high” ECs. ECs are relative.

But you could apply to the newer MD and DO schools across the state. Also TX schools have regional preferences. For instance, UT RGV looks highly for those from the Valley. Foster and Lubbock look for those from West Texas, etc...
Thanks. I have years of ECs as I am a non-trad applicant. I worked in the non-profit world for several years and did many volunteer projects as well due to working in the field. Didn't know about the regional preferences. It seems like most TX schools are VERY competitive to get into even for IS applicants.

Apr 11, 2019
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thanks. I have years of ECs as I am a non-trad applicant. I worked in the non-profit world for several years and did many volunteer projects as well due to working in the field. Didn't know about the regional preferences. It seems like most TX schools are VERY competitive to get into even for IS applicants.
Extracurriculars mean nothing if your stats are low, especially volunteering.
The only real “extracurriculars” that can balance out low stats is if you are a career changer (I.e., ex-assistant district attorney of New York City, Harvard law grad) <— true applicant we had. Or ex-medical professional (Physician assistant returning to do med school)

mddoc

15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2005
Extracurriculars mean nothing if your stats are low, especially volunteering.
The only real “extracurriculars” that can balance out low stats is if you are a career changer (I.e., ex-assistant district attorney of New York City, Harvard law grad) <— true applicant we had. Or ex-medical professional (Physician assistant returning to do med school)
That's what I mean, I worked for nearly 10 years as a coordinator for a non-profit. I also did volunteering in addition to that.

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
Hey everyone, I am in desperate need of help for my school list. Ive been waiting for my mcat score today.

Background: Female, disadvantaged, FAP recipient, NJ resident
URM: Hispanic (Puerto Rican) and Black
Undergrad: Monmouth University, 4 years
Minor: Statistics
MCAT: 490, 491, 493 ----> 498 today (126/121/126/125)
sGPA: 3.0
Post-bacc GPA: 3.9, most are science classes
Paid Clinical Employment: 5,000 hours as a medical scribe in the emergency department
Research: statistical research on brain cancer and research regarding tropical ecology in the Bahamas
Clinical/Non Clinical Volunteering: 200 hours in the hospital volunteering, food pantry in churches (100 hours)
Paid Employment not med: Zumba instructor, chemistry lab assistant, tour guide, and residential assistant
Shadowing: 300 hours of shadowing pedi and surgery

Ive applied to Howard (dream school)
Which schools did you apply to ?

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
Hi all - looking for advice.

First-gen Mexican American female
sGPA: 3.3
MCAT: 500
Major: Biochemistry
No clinical volunteering (red flag, I know)
Non-clinical volunteering: 300 (as a peer health educator and peer counselor, ongoing)
Clinical job: 250 hours (scribe at an underserved community)
Non-clinical job: 1200 hours (retail)
Research: 1000 hours (presented work at national conference and have given talks on research)
Shadowing: 10 in cardiology, 8 pediatrics
Currently working as a teaching assistant teaching algebra to children from Mexico.

Wondering what I look like now if I don't retake MCAT, where I could get in. Ideally I want to retake in the spring and get closer to 510 range but any feedback appreciated.
Where is your state of residence ? You should accumulate 200+ hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact and another 30 hours of physician shadowing before you apply next June.

Oct 15, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello everyone, I am pretty conflicted right now. I received an II from Indiana University School of Medicine, and they scheduled it for 11/11 at 2:15 pm. However, this date and time they gave me coincides with a previously scheduled interview that cannot be changed. I contacted the admission office about my situation, and they said all they could do is place me on the waitlist, which doesn’t guarantee a new rescheduled date. If anyone has any advice on how I should approach this situation, please let me know. Also, if anyone who received an II from Indiana would be willing to swap dates, please DM me.

mddoc

15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2005
Hello everyone, I am pretty conflicted right now. I received an II from Indiana University School of Medicine, and they scheduled it for 11/11 at 2:15 pm. However, this date and time they gave me coincides with a previously scheduled interview that cannot be changed. I contacted the admission office about my situation, and they said all they could do is place me on the waitlist, which doesn’t guarantee a new rescheduled date. If anyone has any advice on how I should approach this situation, please let me know. Also, if anyone who received an II from Indiana would be willing to swap dates, please DM me.
Maybe go with the school that your prefer the most.

Reactions: OchemOficionado
May 10, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi all - looking for advice, my main concern is the MCAT and wanting to stay close to or in NY.
Do you think I have a chance with this MCAT and what schools?

First-gen Afro-latina

cGPA: 3.69. (CC: 3.655 then transfered to 4 year: 3.74)
sGPA: 3.59 (I got all A and A- on the prerequisites)
MCAT: 501 (terrible cars)

Non-clinical volunteering: 370 hours ( teaching, mentoring underrepresented minorites, and instructor of a NIH- funded summer program for college students (during undergrad))

Clinical volunteering: 320 hours (2 different free clinics in underserved areas), lead a project at one of the clinics.

Research: 8000+ hours (undergraduate and full-time at the NIH (~6000 are from NIH)
  1. 1st author abstracts poster presentations at 23 conferences including 1st and 2nd place awards at statewide and 1 award at nationals)
  2. 3 publications (1 Nature Genetics), another 2 under review, and currently working on 1st authorship (1 pub is from undergrad 2nd author)
  3. Mentored and trained summer students at the NIH.
Shadowing: 200 hours in the OR, grand rounds, physician meetings and clinic.

Awards/Honors: Received highest honor given to students in my state (NY), received research grants in undergraduate, NIH/NSF grants and scholarships throughout undergraduate.

Leadership postions: senator in 2 different clubs and student ambassador of the university

Worked since the age of 14 (30h/ week), and full-time since the age of 16 all throughout college - retail, customer service etc.

Thank you for your time and feedback.

Last edited:
Reactions: mddoc
About the Ads