2020 Cycle Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sun_flower580

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok it's 2020, I no longer think it's too early for a WL support thread. Currently I have had 3 interviews, waitlisted for 2 of them and it H U R T S. Still waiting to hear back about the 3rd interview, but this was my worst one yet so I'm not too hopeful that this one will end up any different

who else is agonizing too

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 8 users
I'm on one WL, awaiting decision on 3 interviews. not gonna lie it kinda sucks not knowing where I'll be/what I'll be doing in 7 months

Reactions: 5 users
I'm on one WL, awaiting decision on 3 interviews. not gonna lie it kinda sucks not knowing where I'll be/what I'll be doing in 7 months
ok yes I feel like the worst part is having absolutely no idea what the future holds :(

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Two waitlist with one being my top choice. Already accepted but just wanna know the final decisions so I can plan for the upcoming months

Reactions: 3 users
Two waitlist with one being my top choice. Already accepted but just wanna know the final decisions so I can plan for the upcoming months
I'll offer you a perspective you might not appreciate, based on observations I made from last year's WL support thread. WLs are going to drag on deep into the Spring (and into the early Summer for some!), and the people who really have issues are those with no As, just praying for one, so they can avoid another cycle and know they are going to be a doctor.

You're not going to find a lot of sympathy here because you don't know whether or not you're going to get your first choice when you already hold As. This is because you are definitely going to med school next year, and because YOU totally control final decisions and your ability to plan for the upcoming months. You have at least one A. You can make a decision today, withdraw from all your WLs, and be done. People with no As don't have that option!

• Dislike
  • Inappropriate
Reactions: 34 users
I'll offer you a perspective you might not appreciate, based on observations I made from last year's WL support thread. WLs are going to drag on deep into the Spring (and into the early Summer for some!), and the people who really have issues are those with no As, just praying for one, so they can avoid another cycle and know they are going to be a doctor.

You're not going to find a lot of sympathy here because you don't know whether or not you're going to get your first choice when you already hold As. This is because you are definitely going to med school next year, and because YOU totally control final decisions and your ability to plan for the upcoming months. You have at least one A. You can make a decision today, withdraw from all your WLs, and be done. People with no As don't have that option!
no.png

edit: everyone deserves sympathy if they're currently going through this process. It isn't easy and you're allowed to feel however you do (anxious, excited, worried) about waitlists that you hold even if you have an acceptance

• Love
Reactions: 51 users
Yeah, I'm getting that! Oh well -- good luck. It's going to be a long Winter and Spring for your guys, and you'll be getting feedback from plenty of people with no As. I didn't apply this cycle, so I have no horse in this race, and probably shouldn't have thrown my 2 cents in. :)

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
What is the point of a waitlist? For me, I am a rip the band-aid type person, so I like having a clear yes or a clear no. I know that people are seeking comfort and support, but would it be logical for me to take the waitlist as a rejection and let it go?

What is the point of a waitlist? For me, I am a rip the band-aid type person, so I like having a clear yes or a clear no. I know that people are seeking comfort and support, but would it be logical for me to take the waitlist as a rejection and let it go?
Because a ton of people are ultimately accepted off WLs. What we all repeatedly fail to understand is that the whole system is not designed to benefit applicants; it is designed to allow schools to fill their classes with the best possible class. WLs serve the same purpose as a standby list on an airplane -- it's to make sure every possible seat is filled. Schools can't know ahead of time who is going to matriculate, so they over accept based on their level of comfort with doing so, and build a WL to pull from when everyone who initially received an A doesn't ultimately accept it and they have open seats later in the cycle, after interviews are done.

As I said above (to almost universal derision!), if you need immediate certainty you could absolutely rip the band aid off and tell WLs schools no thanks since you aren't their first choice, but most people would happily stay on a WL and take a later A to go where they really want. I just don't think they have the same issue as people with no As, but the consensus is apparently that they need support too, and it's really not my place to say otherwise!

• Dislike
Reactions: 7 users
Because a ton of people are ultimately accepted off WLs. What we all repeatedly fail to understand is that the whole system is not designed to benefit applicants; it is designed to allow schools to fill their classes with the best possible class. WLs serve the same purpose as a standby list on an airplane -- it's to make sure every possible seat is filled. Schools can't know ahead of time who is going to matriculate, so they over accept based on their level of comfort with doing so, and build a WL to pull from when everyone who initially received an A doesn't ultimately accept it and they have open seats later in the cycle, after interviews are done.

As I said above (to almost universal derision!), if you need immediate certainty you could absolutely rip the band aid off and tell WLs schools no thanks since you aren't their first choice, but most people would happily stay on a WL and take a later A to go where they really want. I just don't think they have the same issue as people with no As, but the consensus is apparently that they need support too, and it's really not my place to say otherwise!

Okay, I get it. This added element of uncertainty is a bit annoying as I try to plan for the rest of the year. I am not at all prideful enough to tell a school to take me off the waitlist, but I am not interested in considering waitlists as I plan my options. I hope I don't come off entitled. I just want to get advice for letting this chapter close mentally.

Okay, I get it. This added element of uncertainty is a bit annoying as I try to plan for the rest of the year. I am not at all prideful enough to tell a school to take me off the waitlist, but I am not interested in considering waitlists as I plan my options. I hope I don't come off entitled. I just want to get advice for letting this chapter close mentally.
Well, if it were me, it would depend on how much you LOVE the WL schools as compared to what you already have. I can tell you that for UG I stayed on all my WLs, but didn't beg and wasn't ultimately accepted off any of them. I was fine on May 1st with my decision, wasn't expecting to get anything from a WL, and wasn't disappointed when I didn't.

This is a little different because the classes are so much smaller and the relative WL movement is so much greater than UG. As I intimated above (again, to universal scorn :)), if I had an A, I'd mentally write off the WL schools and not be agonizing over it as I would if I had nothing. But I'd also stay on all the lists (like I did with UG) and then make a decision if and when I had to.

I'd also play the game and write love letters to every WL school that accepted them, while withdrawing from schools that I wouldn't choose over those I already had. (I don't have first hand experience, but assume that you really don't have a lot of leverage when being accepted off a WL late when it comes to asking for money, so I wouldn't stay on a list for a school that I don't prefer over one I already have in the hopes of getting money from the WL school that I could use to get more from my preferred school.)

Once it came time to sign a lease, etc., it'd have to be a pretty big difference in money, prestige, opportunity, etc., to get me to make a move for a late WL acceptance. Other people have different priorities and would make different decisions.

Just buckle up; this thread is going to become pretty intense in April, May and June! Mid January is barely the very beginning!!!

I feel this thread. Luck to have multiple A but getting waitlisted definitely stings. Not sure if anyone else feels this way, but the schools that waitlisted me kinda made me want to attend there even more now vs if I would have gotten an A immediately lol. Also, for whatever reason, schools seem to be taking much longer to respond than what I have noticed in previous school specific threads, so thats also agonizing as well.
I feel like they are taking longer too based on previous threads :( I wonder if this is due to the new traffic rule mumbo jumbo.

I feel like they are taking longer too based on previous threads :( I wonder if this is due to the new traffic rule mumbo jumbo.
The "new" traffic rules were new last cycle. This is the second year they are in use, so that wouldn't explain a difference from last year. Maybe a spike in applications?

• Dislike
  • Inappropriate
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The "new" traffic rules were new last cycle. This is the second year they are in use, so that wouldn't explain a difference from last year. Maybe a spike in applications?
schools were and are waitlisting more people last cycle AND this cycle as they are not acclimated to the "new" traffic rules

• Sad
schools were and are waitlisting more people last cycle AND this cycle as they are not acclimated to the "new" traffic rules
Agreed! But they should not be doing more this year as compared to last year! Why would anyone compare to two years ago? Last year is the "new normal," and there is no reason to expect this year to be anything other than more of the same, since it is the "new normal"!

Agreed! But they should not be doing more this year as compared to last year! Why would anyone compare to two years ago? Last year is the "new normal," and there is no reason to expect this year to be anything other than more of the same, since it is the "new normal"!
it's called a learning curve. most people need to do something more than once to find the right balance, admissions w the traffic rules are likely the same. especially when you consider some of the schools last year struggled w unexpected outcomes of the new rules

it's called a learning curve. most people need to do something more than once to find the right balance, admissions w the traffic rules are likely the same. especially when you consider some of the schools last year struggled w unexpected outcomes of the new rules
Then how do you explain this???

We hedged our bets made a longer-than-usual waitlist last year, but did not change much else. The number of offers made to fill the class was about the same as years prior. Aside from some added annoyance and uncertainty, with the inception of the plan/commit to enroll tool the loss of the MAR and NAR did not have much of an impact.
Although your n=1, it would be greatly appreciated if you could answer a few questions to address some of the angst and speculation that was rampant on last year's WL support thread involving a feeling that initial As were down compared to prior years while WLs were up but movement was less than usual.

You said offers were the same while WL was up. Does that mean initial As were the same? If so, did yield go up, down or stay the same? On a related note, did WL movement stay the same, or change inversely to yield? On its face, it looks like you are saying nothing changed except you built a bigger WL out of an abundance of caution, but your initial As, yield and WL movement didn't change from prior years. Is that correct?

Any information you could provide to increase transparency would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!! :)
Yes. You can believe your eyes.

Am I in the right place? Support group?

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 25 users
4 WLs, 1 Post-II R, no A yet..... exhausted, stressed, sad. This whole applying to medical school thing really takes it out of you.

Reactions: 15 users
4 WLs, 1 Post-II R, no A yet..... exhausted, stressed, sad. This whole applying to medical school thing really takes it out of you.
It truly does. For now, just try to delight in how good it felt to get those interview invites and hope they see how great you are!

I feel this... I am so sorry. This whole thing is truly mental torture. Absolutely brutal

I agree with you completely.
I have gone on 3 US interviews and have 2 WL, 1 post-II R, and another 4 interviews coming up. This process is so stressful and it makes it impossible to plan for the future. In a lot of ways I wish that these schools would all have to place you into tiers on their waitlist so that you knew where you stood and if their was something (AKA interview skills) that you needed to improve.

Reactions: 4 users
Glad to join the rest of you in wait list hell. 3 II -> 3WL. Reading through last years waitlist support thread gave me some hope so hopefully this year brings us some good news as well!

Reactions: 7 users
Hey everyone,
Hope you are all doing well. I think the hardest part is not having enough time to prepare for the next cycle if needed. I feel strange giving my applications and interview cycle my all, while also knowing I should probably be giving my all preparing for new application cycle (retake MCAT, classes, other activities). Idk. It is a lot to think about and people tell me, "don't worry, you're gonna get in," which is nice of them. There is a lot of pressure with everyone around you wanting updates, then also not knowing how to approach schools you are on the WL on. The uncertainty of this whole career is taken to another level. I have found myself becoming more faithful and spiritual because it helps me deal with this, also trying to stay really busy with family, friends, physical activity, stuff like that. Good luck to you all.

Reactions: 10 users
I've figured that I'd just be throwing money away if I applied for this upcoming cycle and already resigned myself to the idea of waiting till next year if I have to reapply. I am gonna try to apply DO this year cause I didn't have the money to last year. I'm also gonna look into some one year post bacc programs with linkages and hopefully something works out.

Hey everyone,
Hope you are all doing well. I think the hardest part is not having enough time to prepare for the next cycle if needed. I feel strange giving my applications and interview cycle my all, while also knowing I should probably be giving my all preparing for new application cycle (retake MCAT, classes, other activities). Idk. It is a lot to think about and people tell me, "don't worry, you're gonna get in," which is nice of them. There is a lot of pressure with everyone around you wanting updates, then also not knowing how to approach schools you are on the WL on. The uncertainty of this whole career is taken to another level. I have found myself becoming more faithful and spiritual because it helps me deal with this, also trying to stay really busy with family, friends, physical activity, stuff like that. Good luck to you all.
I have never seen a more perfect explanation of just how stressful this is, especially w deciding when or not to prepare to reapply and how to go about it— the stress is almost unbearable good luck to you and everyone else I hope things work out in our favor :/

Reactions: 2 users
I've figured that I'd just be throwing money away if I applied for this upcoming cycle and already resigned myself to the idea of waiting till next year if I have to reapply. I am gonna try to apply DO this year cause I didn't have the money to last year. I'm also gonna look into some one year post bacc programs with linkages and hopefully something works out.

I forgot to mention the financial aspect of this, although it is certainly affecting me too. I think those are great ideas though. Helps to alleviate some of the pressure off you this cycle. Still remember to maintain good lifestyle balance because that's another year of you needing to be happy and healthy too! And yes, it will work out.

So one of my WLs is “unranked” . Does anyone know what that means? Will they revisit all WL apps in May or is it sequential where they pick those who were WL first?

Reactions: 2 users
Just wanted to show some moral support to everyone stuck on waitlists, and to provide a bit of hope. Last year, my coworker who applied had three interviews, and got waitlisted at all three schools. He had to wait some time, but he got off two waitlists in June and ended up matriculating at his top choice. Hang in there all! I really do believe with the new traffic rules there will be a lot of waitlist movement. I am rooting for you all!

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
So one of my WLs is “unranked” . Does anyone know what that means? Will they revisit all WL apps in May or is it sequential where they pick those who were WL first?
So one of the schools I am waitlisted at is also unranked. Idk if it only applies to this school, but the admissions said for them, they revisit all of the WL applicants in May and then pick who they see is the best fit

I have never seen a more perfect explanation of just how stressful this is, especially w deciding when or not to prepare to reapply and how to go about it— the stress is almost unbearable good luck to you and everyone else I hope things work out in our favor :/

Thank you. I love the intention of this thread. I think there is a lot more of us than we think. There is a lot of talk about burnout in medical school and beyond but I think it actually starts from the beginning. And there is no real support at this stage, usually pre-med resources are dedicated to improving our applications, not well-being. Thank you all for listening.

What’s up y’all, Any thoughts on updating schools that wl me early? I got wl by schools in oct and dec and am wondering how to show Id still love to go( I’d go anywhere tbh...)

We’re app twins! I also got 4wl 1 post ii r and no A... the worst is when friends/family keep asking where I’m going and I can only shrug.

Side note: is anyone else unable to reapply in May due to finances and would push reapplication to next year? If so what do you plan to do with this next year

Side note: is anyone else unable to reapply in May due to finances and would push reapplication to next year? If so what do you plan to do with this next year
I'm currently struggling with deciding between financing a reapp with my tax refund/credit card and just waiting a year and working in my clinical job to save up $

So one of the schools I am waitlisted at is also unranked. Idk if it only applies to this school, but the admissions said for them, they revisit all of the WL applicants in May and then pick who they see is the best fit
Agreed this is what I’ve heard and I think it also means that they are trying to “round out the class” but finding people who help bring more of whatever is lacking in those who have accepted their offers

We’re app twins! I also got 4wl 1 post ii r and no A... the worst is when friends/family keep asking where I’m going and I can only shrug.

in same exact situation financially too. plan to just live at home and find a scribe or research job nearby. maybe retake mcat too just to strengthen my app overall. it stinks to spend so much $ going on these interviews just to be in the position where i may need to do it all over again and dig myself into more debt

Wanna vent a bit here because I got hit with a tier II WL just nowwww (why even tier them?) and pretty sure it's a soft reject...I have 1 more decision left in March but this week has been so demoralizing with 3 Rs and ended the week with 1 WL. Guess I should get ready for reapp? Honestly not sure if I can even improve that much in about half year before next cycle. I'm sure most of us have spent literal years building up their application and I'm feeling just how unfair this entire process seems, sighhhhhhhhh

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Wanna vent a bit here because I got hit with a tier II WL just nowwww (why even tier them?) and pretty sure it's a soft reject...I have 1 more decision left in March but this week has been so demoralizing with 3 Rs and ended the week with 1 WL. Guess I should get ready for reapp? Honestly not sure if I can even improve that much in about half year before next cycle. I'm sure most of us have spent literal years building up their application and I'm feeling just how unfair this entire process seems, sighhhhhhhhh
I think that is the hardest part...at what point do we decide to prepare for re-application? it's such a huge financial and emotional burden im beyond frustrated to the max... hang in there dude,i am so sorry....praying the 1 WL or the other decision turns into an A for you!!!

How many wl do you have? A few wl means you still got a decent shot, depends on the specific school as wrll

I'm currently struggling with deciding between financing a reapp with my tax refund/credit card and just waiting a year and working in my clinical job to save up $
I was thinking credits card but that’s the worst type of high interest debt

in same exact situation financially too. plan to just live at home and find a scribe or research job nearby. maybe retake mcat too just to strengthen my app overall. it stinks to spend so much $ going on these interviews just to be in the position where i may need to do it all over again and dig myself into more debt
4wl is decent chance to get off hopefully. But yea rea app blows cause you gotta save or borrow all the damn money again

Reactions: 1 user
4wl is decent chance to get off hopefully. But yea rea app blows cause you gotta save or borrow all the damn money again
Go look into a personal line of credit. It can be based off of your current income and it can be interest only payment for several years before the principle comes due.

Reactions: 1 user

Is that 3 pre or post-ii Rs? If it’s post, then maybe it’s a sign of interview problems?

Hey everyone,
As either @Goro or @gonnif always say, you should be prepping for a reapp until you get that acceptance letter! I know it sucks to be in limbo and have that uncertainty, but the kind of things you’ll be doing for your reapplication, if it does happen, will be the same things that’ll make you a stronger med student. And honestly, please take care of yourself and enjoy your gap year as much as possible. Again, I really get that it sucks to not know where you stand or where you’ll be next year, but medical school is only one part of your life. As you said, focus on strengthening your health, your knowledge and literacy, and your other relationships. Those will be essential for success and happiness in med school.

Have you heard back from all your interviews or do you have some to go?

I think that is the hardest part...at what point do we decide to prepare for re-application? it's such a huge financial and emotional burden im beyond frustrated to the max... hang in there dude,i am so sorry....praying the 1 WL or the other decision turns into an A for you!!!

Sorry for the late reply but thanks! The other one is higher ranked so I'm feeling like it's lower chance of getting an A but I do plan to see this thru and possibly prep for reapp for the upcoming cycle :<

How many wl do you have? A few wl means you still got a decent shot, depends on the specific school as wrll
Is that 3 pre or post-ii Rs? If it’s post, then maybe it’s a sign of interview problems?

I had 2 IIs so far and maybe I'll have some more but I think it's getting pretty late in the cycle for an interview invite. All the Rs were pre-II so nothing about my shifty interview skills to say the least, just my entire app oof.