2020 Cycle Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow! So you were on the waitlist and movement died out, and then out of the blue you received notice that you are accepted for next year?
I haven’t but i have seen other schools give it out to others on sdn according to those sdn people post.

Reactions: 1 user
Which schools offer deferred acceptance? I haven't heard of this before...

It seems like a few schools are using that approach this year, possibly because of less applicants/lack of applicants with MCAT scores for the 2020-2021 cycle. I’ve heard of people getting the deferred acceptance at USC-Keck, Netter, Texas Tech-El Paso, NYMC, WesternU(DO). UC Irvine also might be doing it, but as of now they haven’t made any decisions.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
It seems like a few schools are using that approach this year, possibly because of less applicants/lack of applicants with MCAT scores. I’ve heard of people getting the deferred acceptance at USC-Keck, Netter, Texas Tech-El Paso, NYMC, WesternU(DO). UC Irvine also might be doing it, but as of now they haven’t made any decisions.
Downstate as well

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
To clarify, meaning that they had less applicants/applicants with MCAT scores so far in the 2020-2021 cycle?
It seems like a few schools are using that approach this year, possibly because of less applicants/lack of applicants with MCAT scores. I’ve heard of people getting the deferred acceptance at USC-Keck, Netter, Texas Tech-El Paso, NYMC, WesternU(DO). UC Irvine also might be doing it, but as of now they haven’t made any decisions.

Hi everyone! Just wanted to drop by and give some words of encouragement since I was in your shoes the same time last year. I held out hope wanting to stay at a local CA school but ended up moving across the country. If you're in a similar situation, I'm not going say it was easy but you'll do what you need to do for people who matter. Before Covid, I would just fly back a lot with these free miles I had and it actually felt like a post-exam getaway from the med school mentality. It was actually quite relaxing. Halfway into the year, Covid hit and I've just been quarantined with an extra 5-6 months with my s/o so...

If admissions communicated with you that you're at the top of the WL but nothing has happened, I would assume best intent and say they aren't trying to lie to you. Of course, I don't think it hurts at this point to check in with them. If your only other acceptance is a DO school and you don't mind matriculating next year, could you defer and try for MD this cycle? Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Your language sounds like you are blaming minorities for stealing your spot at your top choice school. Instead of saying that the school "tries to have a lot of minorities," you could frame it as selecting a diverse incoming class to better reflect the composition of American society and gain perspective from groups traditionally shut out of medicine.

You read it wrong. Giving a reason why admissions want to be vague. I am an USM by the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm guessing (no source to back this up), that the deferred acceptances are from less than expected waitlist movement from schools that were still interviewing late (March or April). They likely had some applicants they loved at those interviews and wanted onboard, but less movement meant no seats opened up. Once again, no proof, and I only know netter was interviewing late, so I did not even put any superficial research into supporting my idea.

For those with deferred acceptances, did you interview late (at the point where no acceptances were offered to those interviewing with /after you (March 15th ish) ?

I'm guessing (no source to back this up), that the deferred acceptances are from less than expected waitlist movement from schools that were still interviewing late (March or April). They likely had some applicants they loved at those interviews and wanted onboard, but less movement meant no seats opened up. Once again, no proof, and I only know netter was interviewing late, so I did not even put any superficial research into supporting my idea.

For those with deferred acceptances, did you interview late (at the point where no acceptances were offered to those interviewing with /after you (March 15th ish) ?
Each school has their different reasons. NYMC has done this for the past few years. Its not super uncommon. I would imagine its because they had less waitlist movement than expected, but they viewed some of their candidates as exceptional and didn’t want to lose them.

That's pretty much what they told me - I interviewed late in the cycle (mid February) and they said they "wanted to accept me but had no space, and the waitlist didn't move either"

• Wow
I am waitlisted at 2 DO schools currently. One of which already matriculated and will be giving a final decision. Hopefully it works out for everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
It’s been since March but one of the schools I interviewed at gave me a strange experience and I’m questioning myself months later. It was 3 30 minute interviews. The first one went extremely well. The 2nd interview the interviewer was simply reading off a checklist and ranking me. She didn’t try to get to know me and even told me I was likely interviewing for a waitlist which turned out to be incorrect. In my third interview I was demoralized and my interviewer sensed that and even though I was honest In what happened and she told me it was inappropriate for that to happen I was waitlisted and someone else that day was given the spot instead of me and I was told I didn’t seem passionate enough . Should I have shaken that 2nd interviewer by their shoulders and been a Cheer leader? That’s b.s. anyway rant over.

It be like that sometimes. They always say that this process has an aspect of luck in it. Sometimes you just get stuck with a disinterested interviewer. You’ll never know if that was the reason you didn’t get in though. Have you asked for application feedback from that school?

Reactions: 1 users
Is it pushy or inappropriate to ask a school if they are open to offering deferred acceptances? I'm still on the first tier of the waitlist at my top (and only) choice and the school has said I am a strong candidate for their program. I've been in regular communication with the school too - sent 2 letters of intent, filled out multiple waitlist interest surveys, and have sent multiple e-mails to the admissions office but I still haven't heard any good news :(. It def looks like a seat allocation issue so I am wondering if I can at least ask..what do y'all think?

Is it pushy or inappropriate to ask a school if they are open to offering deferred acceptances? I'm still on the first tier of the waitlist at my top (and only) choice and the school has said I am a strong candidate for their medical school. I've been in regular communication with the school too - sent 2 letters of intent, filled out multiple waitlist interest surveys, and have sent multiple e-mails to the admissions office but I still haven't heard any good news :(. It def looks like a seat allocation issue so I am wondering if I can at least ask..what do y'all think?

This late in the cycle, you might as well shoot your shot.

Reactions: 4 users
Is it pushy or inappropriate to ask a school if they are open to offering deferred acceptances? I'm still on the first tier of the waitlist at my top (and only) choice and the school has said I am a strong candidate for their program. I've been in regular communication with the school too - sent 2 letters of intent, filled out multiple waitlist interest surveys, and have sent multiple e-mails to the admissions office but I still haven't heard any good news :(. It def looks like a seat allocation issue so I am wondering if I can at least ask..what do y'all think?
i gave that shot a few weeks ago. still on the waitlist as well. getting my decision tomorrow

I did this at one of my WL schools and they said no hahah, but they weren’t mad that I asked.

My cycle is officially over 1II -> 1WL -> 1R . Sat on waitlist from October-August, then rejected, what wild year. But I would like to thank all of you for sharing your feeling and thoughts, it definitely made me feel like I wasn’t in this alone! All the best!!

• Sad
Reactions: 11 users
Does anyone have waitlist data? Like how many kids are on waitlist for each school and how many subsequently get in?

Does anyone have waitlist data? Like how many kids are on waitlist for each school and how many subsequently get in?
Sometimes this data is on MSAR. Just ctrl+F and search "waitlist"