2020 FM Physicians - what do you earn?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is like making ~ 25k/month post taxes. What it feels like making so much money? I just can't wrap my head around having a paycheck of 10k+ every two weeks.
Well, I did it because I had goals of paying off vehicles and a built a rental house with cash this year, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I love reading about different jobs that people have had.
I really was thinking about doing urgent care part time, had the interview lined up and everything but decided that it wasn’t for me. Sure the money would be nice but so is my happiness haha. So telemedicine from the comfort of my own home and own schedule has been working well for me as an extra gig.

It’s wonderful to find that balance and to enjoy your day to day as well. Of course money doesn’t hurt! That’s why FM is a great career because you do have options.

Reactions: 1 user
I love reading about different jobs that people have had.
I really was thinking about doing urgent care part time, had the interview lined up and everything but decided that it wasn’t for me. Sure the money would be nice but so is my happiness haha. So telemedicine from the comfort of my own home and own schedule has been working well for me as an extra gig.

It’s wonderful to find that balance and to enjoy your day to day as well. Of course money doesn’t hurt! That’s why FM is a great career because you do have options.
I liked residency more than UC

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
MS2 here. Why is urgent care so bad, even compared to residency?

This is like making ~ 25k/month post taxes. What it feels like making so much money? I just can't wrap my head around having a paycheck of 10k+ every two weeks.

This is why you grind it the EFF out for 3-4 years, try and live off of 20-25% of your post-tax income, pay off any loans, live below your means, and invest as much as you can.

Don't go get the doctor house, the wife who is a needy, privileged biatch who wants to spend $30,000 on interior decorations, and the Porsche, Benz, and $100,000+ Lexus truck "just because you need an extra car for the wife". Smh.

• Haha
I am a collaborating physician for nurse practitioners. I review their charts from home and I am available to them when they need help.
No offense to you personally, but you are essentially selling out your profession for $38,000 per year. The midlevel creep and outright takeover will continue until physicians like yourself are called out for enabling them. The day that we dissociate with them entirely will be the day that we take back medicine.

Reactions: 27 users
This is why you grind it the EFF out for 3-4 years, try and live off of 20-25% of your post-tax income, pay off any loans, live below your means, and invest as much as you can.

Don't go get the doctor house, the wife who is a needy, privileged biatch who wants to spend $30,000 on interior decorations, and the Porsche, Benz, and $100,000+ Lexus truck "just because you need an extra car for the wife". Smh.
Most of us have a wifey who wants to live in a 4000+ sqft home, drive a Benz or Range Rover and send the kids to private school that cost 25k/yr... It's hard for most women to resist these temptations, and most of us usually succumb to what the old lady wants

• Sad
It's a personal thing. I love urgent care because it's different every day without the worry about people dying like the ER. I think FP is boring and mundane and it got tired of it after 5 years.
What makes it that much different than FP? I've shadowed FP before, and theres quite a variety day to day (from fractures, skin biopsy, ultrasound for carotid or kidneys, DM checkup, physicals for high school students, depression and ADHD, etc.) That was my impression.

What's a typical urgent care week look like in terms of regular patients and cool cases?

Members don't see this ad :)
What makes it that much different than FP? I've shadowed FP before, and theres quite a variety day to day (from fractures, skin biopsy, ultrasound for carotid or kidneys, DM checkup, physicals for high school students, depression and ADHD, etc.) That was my impression.

What's a typical urgent care week look like in terms of regular patients and cool cases?
I don't like managing blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, etc. I never did fractures in FP. I don't do psych medications or pain management. I don't have to worry about the colonoscopy, PSA, bone density, DM eye exams, etc. It just was too boring for me. I do tons more procedures in urgent care than I ever did in FP.

Reactions: 1 users
The best way to make 400K+ is to have a FT employment and do locum on the side... Am I correct?

I want to make 400k+/yr, but I don't want to kill myself at the same time... How should I go about that?

The best way to make 400K+ is to have a FT employment and do locum on the side... Am I correct?

I want to make 400k+/yr, but I don't want to kill myself at the same time... How should I go about that?
From what I’ve seen from attendings in real life and on the web, you can’t have both. Unfortunately, there is no way you can make in the 400k without killing yourselves at least until you become a senior partner at a practice perhaps

LOL

Here's how - You sell illicit drugs out of your workplace, commit medicare fraud, maybe start an onlyfans account where you sell feet pics and other weird stuff.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
From what I’ve seen from attendings in real life and on the web, you can’t have both. Unfortunately, there is no way you can make in the 400k without killing yourselves at least until you become a senior partner at a practice perhaps
Nope.

At my current job if I hit 10/13 of my quality measures (average is 9) and see 22-26 patients per day for 46 weeks/year I'd hit right at 400k.

Nope.

At my current job if I hit 10/13 of my quality measures (average is 9) and see 22-26 patients per day for 46 weeks/year I'd hit right at 400k.

If I worked 5 days/week instead of 4, I would, too.

• Wow
Nope.

Your guys' and @SLC's posts are gonna be the reason I dont match in a couple years when people start flocking to FM!

Nothing to see here folks

• Haha
At Kaiser the starting salary as a FM is 300k if I’m not mistaken so you can definitely reach 400k.

At Kaiser the starting salary as a FM is 300k if I’m not mistaken

That sounds high for a starting salary. Maybe after you're in practice for a while.

$300K+, but...yep.

Still a medical student so might be totally off but isn't this hitting near dermatology level of compensation for how much you work? how many hours do you work on those days? The numbers I hear tossed around are ~450 for derm, but wouldn't this be ~375 for FM then?

That sounds high for a starting salary. Maybe after you're in practice for a while.

FM burnout is also very high at Kaiser. Many physicians work into their lunch hours and have to tend to inboxes, phone calls, documentation after work. Patient satisfaction scores are the holy grail there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still a medical student so might be totally off but isn't this hitting near dermatology level of compensation for how much you work? how many hours do you work on those days? The numbers I hear tossed around are ~450 for derm, but wouldn't this be ~375 for FM then?
Most salary numbers you hear are deflated/starting salaries.

I'm not entirely sure how much dermatology can make, although I know that it's variable. I suspect the high earners are doing a lot of cosmetic stuff. My workday is 8am-5pm. I typically see 20-25 patients/day.

LOL

Here's how - You sell illicit drugs out of your workplace, commit medicare fraud, maybe start an onlyfans account where you sell feet pics and other weird stuff.

Oh my god this idea is reprehensible and you should tell me the exact reasons I need to improve why it is such a bad thing that someone should never do anymore.

No offense to you personally, but you are essentially selling out your profession for $38,000 per year. The midlevel creep and outright takeover will continue until physicians like yourself are called out for enabling them. The day that we dissociate with them entirely will be the day that we take back medicine.
i agree with you but that ship has already sailed

we are like the battleship proponents in 1930s who want to turn back the clock to 1914

a "provider " who has no knowledge of basic health sciences is like the used car salesman [woman] who acts like a mechanical engineer

Most of us have a wifey who wants to live in a 4000+ sqft home, drive a Benz or Range Rover and send the kids to private school that cost 25k/yr... It's hard for most women to resist these temptations, and most of us usually succumb to what the old lady wants
that is why i save more money as a single [not divorced] dad than most of my friends who are married [ corrected for the same number of kids ]

FM burnout is also very high at Kaiser. Many physicians work into their lunch hours and have to tend to inboxes, phone calls, documentation after work. Patient satisfaction scores are the holy grail there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
please tell me more about this , I was considering a job there but that is what scared me ....like A LOT

Northeast. 36 outpatient hours. 9 sessions a week. 1-3 of those sessions is precepting PGYs. Base is 245k. With all incentives, bonuses, etc. last year that came out to about 325,000. This year will be around the same base without much extra because of COVID.

I committed to 500 RVU/mo, 6000 total. This is absolutely doable.

Base RVU rate is just under $40. When you factor in all the other extras it’s just shy of $46.

A lot of med students and even some residents think FM salary is 150-180k. I feel like docs should be more open with their colleagues/residents about salaries so some of us won't be opened to exploitation by the beans counter.

A lot of med students and even some residents think FM salary is 150-180k. I feel like docs should be more open with their colleagues/residents about salaries so some of us won't be opened to exploitation by the beans counter.
Its not unusual for contracts to forbid talking about income. I had one of those awhile back.

Beyond that, its not just us - historically talking about income in general was considered rude.

Besides, its not like there isn't super easily available information that says we make more than that. Medscape even puts out a yearly report. Last year us PCPs averaged 237k according to that publicly available source.

• Wow
Its not unusual for contracts to forbid talking about income. I had one of those awhile back.

Beyond that, its not just us - historically talking about income in general was considered rude.

Besides, its not like there isn't super easily available information that says we make more than that. Medscape even puts out a yearly report. Last year us PCPs averaged 237k according to that publicly available source.
Believe or not, I was talking to 2 residents in my class who taught the average salary for FM doc is ~170k... It amazes that people in medicine don't seem to know a lot about the business of medicine.

I bet you most people in my class don't know that they can have an unrestricted license now as 2 of my classmates were shocked when I told them that I was applying for one.

Believe or not, I was talking to 2 residents in my class who taught the average salary for FM doc is ~170k... It amazes that people in medicine don't seem to know a lot about the business of medicine.

I bet you most people in my class don't know that they can have an unrestricted license now as 2 of my classmates were shocked when I told them that I was applying for one.
Its not a surprise to me. In med school (at least in my day) we were told it was a calling/privilege/etc to be a doctor and thinking/talking about money/business showed you weren't in it for the right reasons.

Edit: that came off more judgmental that I meant it to. The lack of business/financial education is a big problem, no argument there. Its why so many first jobs out of residency take advantage of us. I know my first one screwed me over pretty fiercely.

Its not a surprise to me. In med school (at least in my day) we were told it was a calling/privilege/etc to be a doctor and thinking/talking about money/business showed you weren't in it for the right reasons.

Edit: that came off more judgmental that I meant it to. The lack of business/financial education is a big problem, no argument there. Its why so many first jobs out of residency take advantage of us. I know my first one screwed me over pretty fiercely.
Agree.... but now I counter with, “well if your mortgage and INCOME BASED REPAYMENT cost $6000 a month...” You wouldn’t feel bad either about earning a lot.

Legit people online have told me, "No, you're wrong. FM doctors are impoverished and actually make THIS much (incredibly low number compared to all of medicine)."

Meanwhile I'm just sitting here incredibly excited for my first intern paycheck.

Has anyone checked out this new tool that medscape made? Seems wildy innaccruate based on what people here are saying

Has anyone checked out this new tool that medscape made? Seems wildy innaccruate based on what people here are saying

I hadn't seen it before. It appears to give average salaries, which doesn't really tell you much about upside potential. For my area, it probably isn't too far off if you're just talking averages.

What's you salary working 4 days/week?

FM is having good these days. One of my co-residents spouse is out on the job market now as a PGY3... She gets one offer 250k for 4 1/2 days/wk + benefits. It's a very desirable city and she thinks it's not good enough and it should be 4 days/week.

What's you salary working 4 days/week?

FM is having good these days. One of my co-residents spouse is out on the job market now as a PGY3... She gets one offer 250k for 4 1/2 days/wk + benefits. It's a very desirable city and she thinks it's not good enough and it should be 4 days/week.
Mind sharing which city?