2020 MHA: Applied, Interviewed, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monkeym8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just because I did not see one yet :) Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

School:
GPA: Cumulative and Major
GRE:
Major:
Experience (professional or otherwise)
Special Factors:

Applied:
Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Hello Everyone!
I went through MHA applications last year and would love to answer any questions about the process or share my experience about the different programs. While going through this, I realized just how incredible these programs are, regardless of rankings. As you go through the process, my best advice would be to embrace your uniqueness, have fun during interviews, trust your instincts, and go where you feel like home. I was beyond excited to accept admission to The Ohio State University because of the people, the culture, and the energy; and 5 weeks in, this program and cohort has already transformed my life.

Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions, or if you want to hear more about how much I love OSU.
Good luck everyone!

School: University of Idaho (May, 2017)
GPA: 3.53
GMAT: 600
Major: Exercise Science & Health
Minor: Pre-Medical Studies

Experience:
- 2.5 years at Public Health. 85% FTE working with 6 primary care clinics and hospitals on delivery system transformation; 15% FTE health educator working on safe prescribing practice, cancer prevention, chronic disease prevention, and tobacco control.
- 1.5 years as the Board Secretary for a $25-Million Health Legacy Foundation.
- 200+ volunteer hours at free clinic as a lifestyle coach and pharmacy technician.
- previous experience in a nursing home, assisted living facility, and medical billing.

Applied: Cornell (11/16), Hopkins (12/1), MUSC (12/5), UMinn (11/30), OSU (11/28), VCU (11/15), GWU (11/30)
Interview: VCU (1/25), OSU (2/15), Cornell (1/4), MUSC (declined)
Waitlist:
Rejected: UMinn (1/4), Hopkins (2/8)
Accepted: GWU (1/3), Cornell (1/18), VCU (1/25), OSU (2/21)
Attending: The Ohio State University!

Reactions: 1 users
I am currently applying to Columbia's MHA program and I noticed on their website that they have no GPA minimum, however they recommend you write an addendum if you have below a 3.3. I'm applying with a 3.25 (based on my transcript, not sure what SOPHAS GPA will end up being) and I'm wondering if I should write the addendum since I'm close to a 3.3/if I'm at a disadvantage with this GPA. Any insight is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! First and foremost, I want to say I'm excited to see what schools everyone is interested in applying to and wish you all the best of luck!

With that being said, I wanted to extend to all of you my assistance if you would like some insight onto the application process etc. I've been on this forum for a few years and was part of a similar thread such as this two years ago, back when I was applying to MHA programs. I'm currently a 2nd year MHA student at Johns Hopkins University. I've been fortunate enough to help quite a few individuals that were applying last year and would like to help anyone else this year. As always, feel free to respond here, message me privately, or schedule a call if you would like.

I am currently applying to Columbia's MHA program and I noticed on their website that they have no GPA minimum, however they recommend you write an addendum if you have below a 3.3. I'm applying with a 3.25 (based on my transcript, not sure what SOPHAS GPA will end up being) and I'm wondering if I should write the addendum since I'm close to a 3.3/if I'm at a disadvantage with this GPA. Any insight is appreciated!

When I applied to Columbia two years ago for their MHA program, their personal statement limit was 250 words .. which was very short. I did include an addendum just briefly mentioning why my GPA was lower than expected (my gpa was 3.08). If you have a valid reason, it can't hurt you to include an addendum. By the way, I wouldn't say you are at a disadvantage. My GPA was lower and I was accepted. Keep in mind all the schools you apply to are looking for a holistic representation of you, not just your GPA.

Wish you all the best of luck!!

Hello Everyone!

Applied: Cornell (11/16), Hopkins (12/1), MUSC (12/5), UMinn (11/30), OSU (11/28), VCU (11/15), GWU (11/30)
Interview: VCU (1/25), OSU (2/15), Cornell (1/4), MUSC (declined)
Waitlist:
Rejected: UMinn (1/4), Hopkins (2/8)
Accepted: GWU (1/3), Cornell (1/18), VCU (1/25), OSU (2/21)
Attending: The Ohio State University!

Good to see you again! It's great to see you returning to help future applicants! Best of luck at OSU, they're very lucky.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello! I am currently in the process of completing the applications and have a question regarding letters of recommendation. All the programs require 3 letters and I have one each so far for academic and professional, but I have been on the fence regarding who to contact for the third letter. I have found mixed reviews online so I was wondering if anyone would be able to speak from experience.

Undergrad: Small Top 40 College; GPA: 2.9*
Degree: BS in Psychology and Political Science
Graduate: Small Top 40 College
Degree: MS in Psychology; GPA: 3.7
GRE: 305
Special Factors: 1st gen college; Undergrad gpa was is low because medical issues

Experience:
-volunteered on presidential campaign
-service project in NOLA researching public health disparities
-3 years residential supervising (developing and running community programs, outreach, and education)
-2 years working in college's education department
-2.5 years research assistant in psych lab (ran 3 studies, worked as a confederate in 4th study)
-2 years mental health technician for a healthcare network in NE

Applied: UIowa(11/10), Cornell (11/10), SLU (11/10), UMinn (11/29), GWU(11/29), OSU (11/29), JH (12/5)
Interview: SLU (2/21-Visit Day), Cornell (2/5-Skype), Iowa (declined), OSU (2/7-Visit Day)
Waitlist:
Rejected: UMinn (1/6), JH (1/6)
Accepted:GWU (1/13) $$, OSU (2/14), Cornell (2/20), SLU (2/21)
Attending:

Last edited:
Hello! I am currently in the process of completing the applications and have a question regarding letters of recommendation. All the programs require 3 letters and I have one each so far for academic and professional, but I have been on the fence regarding who to contact for the third letter. I have found mixed reviews online so I was wondering if anyone would be able to speak from experience.

You can do either professional or academic for your third. Either or is fine. I did two academic and one professional.

Undergrad: Small Top 40 College
GPA: 2.9*
Degree: BS in Psychology and Political Science
Graduate: Small Top 40 College
Degree: MS in Clinical Psychology
GPA: 3.7
GRE: 305
Special Factors: 1st gen college; worked full time through undergrad and grad; Undergrad gpa was is low because 3rd+4th year had health and finance related issues arise which took precedent
Experience:
-volunteered on 2016 presidential campaign (not the sitting president)
-service project in NOLA researching public health disparities
-3 years residential supervising (developing and running community programs, outreach, and education)
-2 years working in college's education department as administrative aid
-0.5 years volunteering within psych research department
-2 years research assistant in psych lab (ran 3 studies, worked as a confederate in 4th study)
~2 years mental health technician for a healthcare network in NE

Applied: UMinn, GWU, OSU, UMich, JH, UNC, Cornell, UCDenver
Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

Your GPA is a little low (anything below 3.0 you want to explain). Make sure to address that in your personal statement if you can. Nothing too long on it but even a sentence or two is fine. If you need advice on this, feel free to PM me.

Haven't submitted my applications yet but leaving this here for now! :xf:
Also, are my chances really slim? Super passionate about pursuing this field and career path, but worried my GPA (and lack of any formal business/econ education and experience) will hinder me from being accepted anywhere...

Undergrad: Reputable public university
GPA: 3.1
Degree: BS in Molecular Biology, BA in a language
GRE: Taking next month, but anticipating a good score from practice tests?
Special Factors: life-threatening illness when I was a teen (was hospitalized for a year), 1st gen American, worked all through college to financially support myself...

Experience:
-grant-writing intern at local women's health center (6 months)
-sexual education teacher for local middle/high school students (1 year)
-research, lab work in drug development (2 years)
-internship at an environmental sustainability non-profit (3 years)
-management position at a non-profit museum (2 years)
-college radio (leadership, talked about sexual/community/women's health) (4 years)

Applying: Community Health/Women's Health MPH -- UCLA, Boston | MHA(MPH equivalents) -- USC, GWU, NYU, Columbia, Cornell, JHU
Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

Hi! I wouldn't worry too much about the GPA. When I applied 2 years ago I applied with a 3.08 and was able to get into Columbia, JHU, GWU etc. I also had little to no business/econ education. It's a holistic application, they really do take a look at it all. Work hard on your personal statement to really paint a picture to the admissions commitee about who you are as an applicant. As always, feel free to ask any other questions you have here or via PM.

Best of luck!

School: Kennesaw State University
GPA: Currently 3.6 (Will probably graduate with a 3.9)
GRE: 151 Q 155 V 3.5 - Will probably retake in Dec or Jan
Major: Business Administration - Finance
Experience (professional or otherwise):
- Just switched from doing admin for for a financial firm to an associate data manager at a CRO (clinical pharm trials)
- Obtained a Medical Office Assistant Certification when I was 18, went to school full-time after instead of working in field
- Volunteer work off and on with a local nursing home, women's shelters, and girl scouts

Special Factors: I studied abroad in the Spring of 2019 and ended up failing three of my courses, it was heavily do to the differences in the grading systems as well as the material covered. I had a 4.0 at my home university and will probably finish this next year with A's as well. I'm having to apply with my lower GPA but after I retake the courses in the spring it should bring me back up to a 3.9. Does anyone think this will be a big issue?

Have supported myself financially though my undergrad but I had state funding due to my grades (covered full tuition) and I'm really hoping to qualify for scholarships, fellowships, or internships for the MHA programs. Would also love some advice on that!

Applied: GWU (1/15), JHU (1/15), University of Colorado (1/15), University of Illinois at Chicago, MUSC
Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected: JHU (1/28)
Accepted: GWU (2/3) Colorado (1/27)
Attending:

Last edited:
School: Brigham Young University-Idaho
GPA: 3.46
Major: Healthcare Administration
GRE: 143 V, 150 Q, 3.5 W
Experience:
Health Care Roles (3+ years experience)- Medical Receptionist, Patient Flow Coordinator, Project Manager, Area Director (managed 60 employees, financial responsibilities)
Currently: Healthcare Recruiter
Special Factors: International student born in Canada and raised in Dubai

Applied (11/13): University of Washington, Cornell, Columbia, Penn State, USC, University of Pittsburgh, Ohio State University, Texas A&M
Interview: Texas A&M (1/8), University of Pittsburgh (12/6), Columbia (1/31), UW (03/06), OSU (3/20 on-campus, declined)
Waitlist:
Rejected: Cornell (1/15), PennState (02/18, personal phone call from director, rejected for GRE Verbal score)
Accepted: University of Pittsburgh (12/6) $$, Texas A&M (1/30) $$, USC (02/28), UW (3/10)
Attending: Texas A&M $$

I have never heard back an answer from Columbia. They won’t respond to my emails either. Update: (June 22) Columbia on a short waiting list.

Last edited:
Undergrad School: UC Berkeley
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.38/3.85 (Verified)
Major/Minor: Public Health
GRE (including date taken): 153V(60%) 156Q(60%) 4.5(81%)
Experience/Research:
  • 4 months of research with the school of Public Health- took video footage and administer surveys to characterize exposure to turf rubber crumbs
  • 7 months with the SPH- measured food waste in aggregate to assess whether or not school lunch intervention programs were effective; transcribed interviews; helped clean up data for processing
  • REU- Did a summer research project in Chemistry--> got to present at the ACS National Conference
  • Served on the board for a Public Health Club on campus
Special factors: First gen, have a hearing loss and ADHD, low-income

Interested in: Health Policy (Mostly) and Epi
Applied(include the date of application): Boston University (HPM), Johns Hopkins (MSPH and MHA), University of Michigan (MPH and MHSA), Yale (HPM), UCLA (HPM), UC Berkeley (Epi) Cornell (MHA) All submitted on 11/20
Interview: JHU MSPH (12/5), JHU MHA(12/12)
Accepted: TBD
Rejected: TBD
Waitlisted: TBD

I know my list is top heavy. Any critiques and schools I should add or omit?

Last edited:
School: University of Wisconsin-Madison
GPA: 3.517
GRE: 156 V 168 Q 5.0 W
Major: Psychology; Minors in Business, Global Health, and Leadership
Experience: Currently have role as a Benefits and Well-Being Intern; President of campus chapter of Partners in Health; conduct research in a lab focused on intergroup relations and bias

Applied: Ohio State (11/12), University of Minnesota (11/12), St. Louis University (11/12), University of Pittsburgh (11/12), Indiana University (11/12)
Interview: Minnesota (12/6), Pitt (12/10), OSU (1/10), Indiana (declined), SLU (declined)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: Pitt (12/10), Minnesota (12/13), OSU (1/13)
Attending:

Last edited:
School: University of Florida
GPA: 3.77
GRE: 157V 154Q 4.5 AWA
Major: Public Health
Minor: Business Administration
Experience (professional or otherwise):
-1.5 years of clerical experience working for a large medical group
Special Factors: Applying directly from undergrad

Applied: Columbia (submitted 11/13 verified 11/14), GWU (submitted 11/13 verified 11/14)
Interview: Columbia (1/2)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: GWU (11/27), Columbia (1/29)
Attending:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I'm a senior at a Big 10 University with a 3.4 GPA as a Biology major. I have administrative experience, have worked in two labs, several extracurricular activities and volunteer experiences.
The schools Im applying to: Rush, UIC, UMinn, UMich, SLU, OSU.
However, I screwed up with my decision to apply to grad school being a little late and have not had time to study over the semester. Im thinking about taking my GRE at the end of December(with my apps being turned in weeks before then), which means my score wont be verified worst case maybe 10-13 days into January. Is this too late? Will I be at a disadvantage?

I spoke with an admissions counselor at UMich who informed me to just submit your application by the 12/01 deadline and email ([email protected]) to hold off on your application for review until you are able to send in your scores. However, everything must be in by January 15th.

I don't think you're necessarily at a disadvantage. If you have the stats to get in and you showcase yourself accordingly, each school is going to want you regardless. Good luck with your applications!

I submitted my applications a couple weeks ago, but my GRE scores and letters of rec still haven't been received. Will SOPHAS/HAMPCAS not verify me until they get those?

Edit: If anyone reads this later on -- SOPHAS will verify you regardless of if you are missing official GRE scores or any letters of recommendation! My schools were able to receive my application before they actually got all 3 letters.

Last edited:
I submitted my applications a couple weeks ago, but my GRE scores and letters of rec still haven't been received. Will SOPHAS/HAMPCAS not verify me until they get those?
Correct! SOPHAS verified me the next day (early AM) and HAMPCAS took two days(Also early AM). Super speedy :)

GPA: 3.517
GRE: 156 V 168 Q 5.0 W
Major: Psychology; Minors in Business, Global Health, and Leadership
Experience: Currently have role as a Benefits and Well-Being Intern; President of campus chapter of Partners in Health; conduct research in a lab focused on intergroup relations and bias

Applied: Ohio State (11/12), University of Minnesota (11/12), St. Louis University (11/12), University of Pittsburgh (11/12), Indiana University (11/12), Xavier University (TBD)
Interview: SLU (1/24), OSU (1/10), Minnesota (12/6)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:
You scheduled interviews already? ?

Hello! I'm a senior at a Big 10 University with a 3.4 GPA as a Biology major. I have administrative experience, have worked in two labs, several extracurricular activities and volunteer experiences.
The schools Im applying to: Rush, UIC, UMinn, UMich, SLU, OSU.
However, I screwed up with my decision to apply to grad school being a little late and have not had time to study over the semester. Im thinking about taking my GRE at the end of December(with my apps being turned in weeks before then), which means my score wont be verified worst case maybe 10-13 days into January. Is this too late? Will I be at a disadvantage?
I'm a current student at Rush and I can talk to you about the application timeline and the program, just pm me

You scheduled interviews already? ?
Yes, once my application was verified it did not take too long for schools to get back to me! I know some schools started interview days in November so I'm guessing they want to use the rolling admissions to their advantage and get candidates on campus early.

Hello! I want to include an addendum on my applications to explain a grade discrepancy, but I'm having trouble figuring out where to upload this for Johns Hopkins. Has anyone else uploaded an addendum for JHU?

Hello! I want to include an addendum on my applications to explain a grade discrepancy, but I'm having trouble figuring out where to upload this for Johns Hopkins. Has anyone else uploaded an addendum for JHU?

I don't see any slots for an addendum, but you could potentially make it a part of your personal statement document by creating a section on a separate page. I have seen people recommend doing that.

I don't see any slots for an addendum, but you could potentially make it a part of your personal statement document by creating a section on a separate page. I have seen people recommend doing that.

Hi! I'm actually in Hopkins MHA program (2nd year). This is exactly what I did. On my personal statement, I dedicated 1-2 sentences explaining my grade discrepancy. If you want to discuss if you truly need to mention a grade discrepancy feel free to PM me and we can take it from there.

School: The University of Texas at Austin
GPA: 3.25
GRE: 159 V, 163 Q, 4 AWA (a little worried about the AWA score I received)
Major: Public Health concentration in Health Policy and Management
Experience: held multiple leadership roles in various on-campus organizations, internships in community and preventative health, currently working at a hospital that specializes in rural medicine

Applied: University of Minnesota, Hopkins, Cornell, Columbia, Yale (MPH), Boston University (MPH), UNC Chapel Hill, Yale, Trinity
Interview: Hopkins, University of Minnesota, Cornell, Columbia
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: Hopkins, University of Minnesota, Boston University, Columbia, Cornell
Attending:

Last edited:
Experience: held multiple leadership roles in various on-campus organizations, internships in community and preventative health, currently working at a hospital that specializes in rural medicine

Applied: Hopkins, UNC Chapel Hill, Cornell, Columbia, Trinity, University of Minnesota, Yale (MPH), Boston University (MPH)
Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

I wouldn't worry at all about your AWA score. I'm a current student at Chapel Hill and I know plenty of people in our program and some of the others you are applying to that had much lower GRE scores. Let me know if you have any questions about UNC. Happy to help.

I wouldn't worry at all about your AWA score. I'm a current student at Chapel Hill and I know plenty of people in our program and some of the others you are applying to that had much lower GRE scores. Let me know if you have any questions about UNC. Happy to help.
Thank you @southpaw509! Will definitely reach out if I have any questions.

I spoke with an admissions counselor at UMich who informed me to just submit your application by the 12/01 deadline and email ([email protected]) to hold off on your application for review until you are able to send in your scores. However, everything must be in by January 15th.

I don't think you're necessarily at a disadvantage. If you have the stats to get in and you showcase yourself accordingly, each school is going to want you regardless. Good luck with your applications!
I totally saw this late! But thats great. I actually took the gre and got a 159V 158Q and 5 AWA. I'll be submitting my apps in probably 2 weeks. hoping its not too late :)

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone is knowledgeable about the distinct differences between an MHA and a MPH in Health Policy and Management (management track)? I'm hoping to get into a career in hospital administration, with interest in addressing health disparities and healthcare accessibility barriers for underserved communities. Based on my online research I think an MHA program is better suited for this but I wanted to inquire with all of you since I saw some people in this forum were also applying to MPH HPM programs! To my understanding, the only difference is a few courses (MHA is more focused on health systems management whereas an MPH HPM also has that along with some focus on core public health courses and policy). Does anyone know if these programs lead to similar career paths or know if one is better suited for hospital administration careers?

I applied to MHA programs at GWU (accepted 11/19), Hopkins (accepted 11/25), Columbia, Cornell, and UW, along with MPH HPM programs at UC Berkeley and UCLA (haven't heard back from any other schools besides GWU and Hopkins).
You have already heard back from Hopkins?!?!?!?

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone is knowledgeable about the distinct differences between an MHA and a MPH in Health Policy and Management (management track)? I'm hoping to get into a career in hospital administration, with interest in addressing health disparities and healthcare accessibility barriers for underserved communities. Based on my online research I think an MHA program is better suited for this but I wanted to inquire with all of you since I saw some people in this forum were also applying to MPH HPM programs! To my understanding, the only difference is a few courses (MHA is more focused on health systems management whereas an MPH HPM also has that along with some focus on core public health courses and policy). Does anyone know if these programs lead to similar career paths or know if one is better suited for hospital administration careers?

I applied to MHA programs at GWU (accepted 11/19), Hopkins (accepted 11/25), Columbia, Cornell, and UW, along with MPH HPM programs at UC Berkeley and UCLA (haven't heard back from any other schools besides GWU and Hopkins).

I have talked to a few professionals in the field and most agree in that the public health degrees like MHA, MPH HPM, MBA HC, etc all really blur together and offer similar trainings and experiences. In making your decision I would focus less on the name of the degree and more on qualities you are looking for in a program such as placements, networks, etc. And congrats :)

Hey guys, it is my first time to use this forum. I am applying for Johns Hopkins MHA but idk if I could make it.
Really want to get some advice from here.

School: Johns Hopkins Carey Business School(master) / Xiamen University(bachelor)
GPA: 3.75/4.0(master); 3.35/4.0(accounting)
GMAT: 660
Major: Finance(master); Accounting(bachelor)
Experience (professional or otherwise)
Special Factors:
I got several internships before:
1, IQVIA: From August to now
2, PE intern for half years, some projects related to the healthcare industry
3, Deloitte consulting: summer intern, not related
4, Ernst & Young, winter intern, not related

Applying: Johns Hopkins Bloomberg(MHA); Johns Hopkins Carey(HCM)
Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

Oops I should've posted my info before I posted my question above, so here it is!

School: UC San Diego
GPA: 3.70/3.71
GRE: 167 Q (90%), 159 V (83%), 5.0 AWA (92%)
Major: Human Biology
Minor: Business Operations
Experience:
-2 years full-time laboratory manager at a structural biochemistry lab
-2+ years part-time laboratory research assistant at a molecular/cellular biology lab
-Co-author on a Molecular Cell research publication (this one was very recent so wasn't on my resume for the apps already submitted but will be on my resume for my UW app)
-Co-author on an Immunity research publication
-Volunteer crisis counselor
-TA while an undergrad student
-Data analyst for a hearing aid company
-Volunteer experience with the visually impaired and blind
-Volunteer experience with elderly populations

Applied: Cornell (10/30), Columbia (11/5), UCLA HPM (11/7), UC Berkeley HPM (11/7), GWU (11/10), Hopkins (11/18)
Applying: UW (trying to submit before Christmas)
Interview: Hopkins (11/25)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
GWU (11/19), Hopkins (11/25)
Attending:
Which Hopkins program did you apply to?

School: University of Texas at Austin
GPA: Cumulative - 3.21. Upper div undergrad courses (per SOPHAS): 3.91. Health Science GPA: 3.23
GRE: V 158 (80%), Quant 155 (56%), AWA 4.5 (81%)
Major: Nursing
Experience (professional or otherwise): RN in administration at large NYC hospital. 5 years total of hospital nursing experience, 3.5 years in an administrative role. I've worked full-time healthcare for 10 years in various capacities ranging from front desk at a PCP office to my current administrative role.
Special Factors:
-Currently work at a top-rated hospital in NYC that offers a good amount of tuition reimbursement, so I'm only applying for Columbia. I considered NYU but I'm not interested in an online program. I need to stay locally so I can continue working at my hospital to take advantage of tuition reimbursement.

Applied: Columbia MHA (12/2/2019) - SOPHAS verified on 12/4/19.
Interview: Columbia (email on 12/26, actual date of interview TBD)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: Columbia (with scholarship!!) (2/18)
Attending: Columbia!

Last edited:
Just got offered an interview for the Hopkins MHA program. I am interviewing next week (12/12)!

Last edited:
Woke up to an acceptance from GWU and an interview for JHU!!!

Congratulations on the interviews @doubtfox, @monkeym8, and @CarissasWeird!! Congratulations @CarissasWeird on the acceptance to GWU! My Hopkins interview was just an easy-going conversation, nothing scary. It was a 30 minute phone call with the program director and we just discussed the program and I asked him a few questions. He didn't really ask about my application/resume at all and by the end of the phone call, he let me know that I was accepted into the program.

This might sound cheesy but I think just be yourself and build rapport. After all, this is just another human on the other end of the line trying to get to know who you are. Good luck!
I am salty. Congrats!

Congratulations on the interviews @doubtfox, @monkeym8, and @CarissasWeird!! Congratulations @CarissasWeird on the acceptance to GWU! My Hopkins interview was just an easy-going conversation, nothing scary. It was a 30 minute phone call with the program director and we just discussed the program and I asked him a few questions. He didn't really ask about my application/resume at all and by the end of the phone call, he let me know that I was accepted into the program.

This might sound cheesy but I think just be yourself and build rapport. After all, this is just another human on the other end of the line trying to get to know who you are. Good luck!

I couldn't have said this better myself. I'm a 2nd year MHA student in the Hopkins MHA program. The interview is generally with one person from 3 (program director, associate director, distinguished faculty). You won't interview with all 3 but one from that list generally. The interview is very straightforward. Be yourself but be professional. Know your story/theme and know your resume/personal statement inside out. Other than that, it's a very fair interview.

Always here to answer questions about Hopkins or any program really as I applied to many and interviewed with a lot of schools.

Best of luck!!!

Did you choose to do a phone call for a specific reason? The email said I could do either a phone call or a skype call and i'm not sure which to go with?, does it really make a difference?

No difference really although if you can do a skype call I'd say that's a better way to go about it. It's always nice to put a name to a face. In my skype interview I couldn't see them but they could see me so dressing business professional is pretty important if you interview via skype.

Congrats everyone! Its so exciting to see everyone start getting interviews and acceptances!

Applied: Hopkins, UNC Chapel Hill, Cornell, Columbia, Trinity, University of Minnesota, Yale (MPH), Boston University (MPH)
Interview: University of Minnesota (1/10)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

@ker2015 when did you apply to UMinn? I am hoping I get an interview and trying to gage the response time.

Has anyone else gotten an interview from the JHU MHA program?

Submitted on 11/20, received a confirmation email on 11/25

GPA: 3.74
GRE: 163 V, 162 Q, 4.5 AW
Major: Kinesiology, Global Health Certificate
Experience: 2 years as an Undergraduate Research Assistant with a sports medicine researcher, 3 months as a Community Program Intern with the local chapter of a national non-profit organization, 1 year a Program Coordinator in community health equity and engagement at a large academic medical center (current position)

Applied: Minnesota (11/27), Columbia (12/1), Rush (12/1), Johns Hopkins (12/2)
Interview: Minnesota (1/10), Johns Hopkins (12/23), Rush (1/3), Columbia (declined)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: Johns Hopkins (12/23), Rush (1/7), Minnesota (1/17)
Attending: Minnesota

Last edited:
I haven't heard a confirmation either

I submitted mine on 12/2, got an email on 12/5 saying they were having technical difficulties and processing of applications was delayed, and then an email today (12/10) saying the technical difficulties were fixed and that my application was ready for review. You may want to send them an email just in case the technical difficulties mean they somehow missed your application.