2020 MHA: Applied, Interviewed, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you thinking of attending USC? I really want to but it is the most expensive school on my list.
I have the same concern, I’m deciding between USC and Columbia. I’m going to attend Columbia’s admit day but I wasn’t able to see if USC has one. I applied to the early deadline for USC but don’t think I got a scholarship Bc the admit letter didn’t say anything about it. Also, one of my other concerns is that I want to end up in California after grad school so alumni networking is really important for me. All these private schools are so expensive so I’m having trouble deciding.

Is anyone attending the Columbia admitted students reception & admitted students day this Thursday/Friday?

Might be a weird question but - What are you planning on wearing? Can’t tell if these types of events are business professional or not
I’m going to the other ones, but I’m going business casual. It’s always been good to me for these types of events.

Reactions: 1 user
How many admitted students weekends are you going to? I'm headed up to the UW interview day this week, and also headed to Hopkins' the next week but want to attend Columbia's but it's the weekend after the Hopkins one. I'd rather not pay for that many trips to the east coast but feel like I need to in order to get a better sense for the programs!

Hey. If any of you were going to UW visit day, have you canceled do to the Corona Virus???

For the people who attended the admitted students day at Columbia, can you share what they talked about? I was planning on going but I had to cancel :(

For the people who attended the admitted students day at Columbia, can you share what they talked about? I was planning on going but I had to cancel :(
They cancelled the day and did it virtually due to COVID-19. You should have access to the presentations they gave on the admitted student's portal. And the HPM department did a zoom meeting as well, not sure if that was recorded but I would reach out to the department and ask if it was!

They cancelled the day and did it virtually due to COVID-19. You should have access to the presentations they gave on the admitted student's portal. And the HPM department did a zoom meeting as well, not sure if that was recorded but I would reach out to the department and ask if it was!
ohhh wow yea corona virus is hitting ny pretty hard :\ thank you so much for letting me know!!

Accepted to University of Washington. Now I’m having a hard time deciding which program to attend. I think I am leaning towards UW

Last edited:
Any insights/thoughts regarding GWU’s MHA program? I’ve read some positive reviews, but I haven’t been able to find a lot. I was able to switch from their Health Policy track after speaking to the program director. Currently torn between Emory HCM and GWU MHA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Admitted to UW! I was planning on going to Hopkins' admitted day Friday but now it's virtual. It's my current #1 choice but definitely feel like I can't make a decision without visiting. Anyone else still going to physically be there? Message me!

Reactions: 1 users
Real late but...

School: University Of Michigan
GPA: 3.4 - Molecular Bio Major
GRE: V- 159 ; Q- 158 ; AW- 5
Applied: Cornell, Columbia, Boston, Michigan, Pitt
Accepted: Boston, Pitt, Columbia, Cornell, Michigan
Attending: TBD

- Hopeful Path: Grad School -> administrative fellowship -> Hospital work (operations / process improvement)

- After 4 years at Michigan, I feel ready to move on and see new places, so I am mostly deciding between Cornell and Columbia. I really want to go to Columbia and experience NYC, but I am held back by the prestige of both Cornell's and Michigan's programs, along with their high fellowship placements and strong case competition performances. I've also heard that Columbia can be a very hands-off program, while Michigan and Cornell lend more guidance to students. If anyone has further insight on these programs, I would really be down to DM in more detail. Good Luck everyone!

Hello everyone ! I am down to deciding between committing to either UMN or Michigan for my MHA. I haven't seen much on UMN on here so any insight (for either) would be appreciated. I want to do consulting or go into administration (c-suite). Thanks!

Hello! I decided between 7 schools (UMN, Mich, Cornell, Columbia, UNC, Rush, JHU). Ultimately, I chose UMN. I’ve interned at 2 top 10 hospitals in the US and have been told that no matter where you go, fellowship interviewers just care that your program is CAHME accredited. Ultimately, based on UMN’s performance in case competitions, student outcomes and cost, I choose UMN! Michigan is a phenomenal school but I am more interested in administration vs. their public health curriculum. UMich takes classes with MPH students I believe. Mich and UMN both have great placements for both fellowships and consulting. Ultimately, choose based on YOU and not on rankings. If you want to be a C-Suite executive one day, it will be up to you. It will not matter whether or not you went to a #2 VS. #3 school. Good luck! Choosing a school was incredibly hard for me but I know I made the right decision!

I applied about a month ago to UMN and have my interview (now online) next Friday (3/20). Are there any particular questions or interview styles I should be prepared for? Any insight you could share would be awesome, here or DM :)

Hi everyone! Could anyone share some insight on UNC v Columbia. I am trying to decide between the two, and I am not sure if Columbia's MHA program is worth twice the cost of UNC's. I am interested in administrative fellowships and consulting post-grad, so I want to go to a program that will prepare/position me well for either. In general, if anyone can talk more about either program (why it's your top choice, etc), that would be super helpful!

Hi everyone! Could anyone share some insight on UNC v Columbia. I am trying to decide between the two, and I am not sure if Columbia's MHA program is worth twice the cost of UNC's. I am interested in administrative fellowships and consulting post-grad, so I want to go to a program that will prepare/position me well for either. In general, if anyone can talk more about either program (why it's your top choice, etc), that would be super helpful!

Hey I recently spoke with a 2nd year Columbia student about her experience with the MHA program and she did her undergrad at UNC. Feel free to DM me!

Is anyone else having the HARDEST time deciding? Lmk if anyone wants to make a group chat so we can collectively freak out about where to go :)

Reactions: 3 users

I'm a current MHA student at UNC. I know a little about Columbia's program as well, but certainly not to the extent that I know UNC's. With UNC you can certainly do either fellowship or consulting, every year we have students that end up doing both. From what I've heard Columbia has strong relationships with some of the consulting firms, I wouldn't be able to speak to Columbia's connections for fellowships but I would guess that some do. Feel free to message me with any specific questions about UNC.

Ah man I have so much uncertainty right now. It seems like SARS-cov2 is shutting everything down and the decision deadline is coming closer and closer. Can’t visit schools which can make it easier to decide. Obviously we want to flatten the curve, but wow this is gonna be hard. Idk of my i20s are going to happen with things happening by the minute.

Ah man I have so much uncertainty right now. It seems like SARS-cov2 is shutting everything down and the decision deadline is coming closer and closer. Can’t visit schools which can make it easier to decide. Obviously we want to flatten the curve, but wow this is gonna be hard. Idk of my i20s are going to happen with things happening by the minute.
Yeah I am also Canadian and hoping things getting better with this virus so we can get our I-20. I would hate to have to defer my future

I attended Hopkins's virtual visit day and I put down my deposit to attend this weekend! Please reach out if you decided to attend Hopkins too :)

Hi, guys! If anyone is struggling to make a choice, I am happy to answer any questions why I did/did not choose a program via private message! If you want to just rant, I am happy to listen also! I know this is a stressful time for everyone so I'd love to help in any way I can.
Hey I wants to ask you more about your decision to choose UMN! I tried to privately message but couldnt so if you can send me a message I would really appreciate it :)

Hello,
I am super late to joining this, but congratulations to those have been accepted! I was wondering if anyone had some insight between a few programs, specifically GWU MHA vs Columbia MHA, as I am trying to make a decision, but I am struggling! What do you all look for in a program? When I applied (I applied pretty late in the cycle), I never thought I would be in this position ... so I’m incredibly grateful. THANK YOU FOR ANY INPUT! :)

Applied: GWU (1/15), Columbia (1/15), UMich (1/15), JHU (1/15), Boston (1/15), Colorado (1/15)
Interview: Columbia (1/23 invite, 2/10 - interview)
Rejected: JHU, UMich
Accepted: GWU+$ (1/21), Columbia (2/21), Boston + 35% tuition (2/25), Colorado (2/5)

Yeah I am also Canadian and hoping things getting better with this virus so we can get our I-20. I would hate to have to defer my future
Well the good (or moderate in this case) news is that if we’re Canadian citizens, we do not need a Visa to study in the states; just the I20. Which makes it somewhat easier.

Hi, guys! If anyone is struggling to make a choice, I am happy to answer any questions why I did/did not choose a program via private message! If you want to just rant, I am happy to listen also! I know this is a stressful time for everyone so I'd love to help in any way I can.

Hey if you could message me about your decision to attend UMN it would super helpful! Thank you and congrats on your decision!

I'm a current MHA student at UNC. I know a little about Columbia's program as well, but certainly not to the extent that I know UNC's. With UNC you can certainly do either fellowship or consulting, every year we have students that end up doing both. From what I've heard Columbia has strong relationships with some of the consulting firms, I wouldn't be able to speak to Columbia's connections for fellowships but I would guess that some do. Feel free to message me with any specific questions about UNC.

Hi! For some reason it won’t let me privately message you but I would love to hear some insight about UNC’s program and your experience there!

Hi! For some reason it won’t let me privately message you but I would love to hear some insight about UNC’s program and your experience there!

Just sent you a private message. Let me know if you can't access it/don't get it.

Hello! I am going to be an international student from Myanmar. I'm so late to this party. Did not know this forum existed. Would have helped my application process so much better. Anyway..

Applied: GWU (12/15), UIC (12/15), Columbia(1/13), UoP(1/13), UBC(2/1), UoT(2/1)
Interview: UoP(2/12), Columbia(2/17), UIC(2/18)
Accepted: GWU(2/6), UoP(2/14), Columbia(3/17)
Attending: TBD

I have declined UoP, and having a hard time deciding between GWU and Columbia, also waiting for the Canadian schools' decisions.

My main plan after graduation is to be able to work in the healthcare management industry, preferably hospitals management and administration.

Since I'm an international student I'm abit worried about the job opportunities. Which of the two schools would get me a better chance at networking, connecting and possibly securing a job? I know Columbia is the prestigious Ivy League( can that branding get you far?) but the program director at GWU was very helpful and the students were very warm. And it's a three year program with the final year being a residency or fellowship which might help me secure a job after graduation? While Columbia doesn't have any residency program.

Can anyone tell me the various pros and strengths between the two programs? I tried searching online but I couldn't find much.

Also, did anybody apply to Canada for their MHA?

Thank you!

Hey I wants to ask you more about your decision to choose UMN! I tried to privately message but couldnt so if you can send me a message I would really appreciate it :)

I also chose UMN over Michigan, Rush, and other schools! feel free to message me

Is the Yale program CAHME accredited?
If not does it affect the work opportunities after the program?

Is the Yale program CAHME accredited?
If not does it affect the work opportunities after the program?
It is not CAHME accredited.

Heres what I garnered. It doesnt not affect your work opportunities post-grad. The only limitation with this is there are some fellowships that are geared specifically towards CAHME programs. However, a majority of fellowships arent as restrictive so I wouldnt worry too much about lack of CAHME accreditation because the YSPH has the CEPH accreditation anyway (Hopefully someone else can chime in on the matter, too)

Woul
It is not CAHME accredited.

Heres what I garnered. It doesnt not affect your work opportunities post-grad. The only limitation with this is there are some fellowships that are geared specifically towards CAHME programs. However, a majority of fellowships arent as restrictive so I wouldnt worry too much about lack of CAHME accreditation because the YSPH has the CEPH accreditation anyway (Hopefully someone else can chime in on the matter, too)
Would the same hold true for the Masters of science in health policy and management
program (MSHCPM) offered by Carnigie Mellon University's Heinz College?
As it is also not CAHME accredited.

So it seems like it’s accredited by the NASPAA which is...

NASPAA is an accrediting body for professional master’s degree programs in public affairs, policy, and administration

... I guess it depends on what you want to do with your degree. I dont really have much experience in this area—maybe someone else can speak more about this accrediting body

is anyone deferring there offers until next year because of worries around COVID-19? Are schools letting you defer (UMich, GWU, UW)?

Anyone committing to UW or University of Pittsburgh?

Has anyone heard anything about Columbia’s MHA executive program?
I haven't even heard back for their regular MHA program. They won't respond to emails. Even if I was not selected I would like to know.

I haven't even heard back for their regular MHA program. They won't respond to emails. Even if I was not selected I would like to know.

Check the Columbia Portal and see if there is any information. Pretty rude if they haven't gotten back to you at all. They definitely should have sent out decisions by now because today, April 15th is their deadline for making a decision at least for the full-time MHA program.

Check the Columbia Portal and see if there is any information. Pretty rude if they haven't gotten back to you at all. They definitely should have sent out decisions by now because today, April 15th is their deadline for making a decision at least for the full-time MHA program.
I have checked the portal many times. It only shows my checklist. I think it is so unprofessional of them not to give me a decision or even respond to emails.

Hello-I am currently applying to MHA programs starting in the Fall of 2021 and one of the people who did my recommendation on SOPHAS informed me they used a specific school name when they were writing my letter that will be sent out to every school I apply to. It looks like I do not have the ability to delete it and have it redone. Any advice? Is it a big deal??
Thank you!

Hello-I am currently applying to MHA programs starting in the Fall of 2021 and one of the people who did my recommendation on SOPHAS informed me they used a specific school name when they were writing my letter that will be sent out to every school I apply to. It looks like I do not have the ability to delete it and have it redone. Any advice? Is it a big deal??
Thank you!
Have you tried contacting SOPHAS?

Hello everyone! I am currently torn between Emory(MPH) HPM(with focus on healthcare management), Tulane MHA and GW MHA. I want to work as a hospital administrator in hospitals/health systems. I am finding it difficult to decide which school to go to because they all have their pros and cons. Emory is a brand name and has connections to the CDC etc. but does that apply to healthcare management? It also isn't CAHME accredited so I'm not sure how that will affect me. Tulane's program seemed to be a great fit after the interview but I don't know how post-grad jobs will look like there. I live in DC so GW is close to home and it's a great program. However, it is 3 years. Since I want to go into healthcare administration, should I focus more on an MHA rather than an MPH and why are administrative fellowships so important? If I don't do an administrative fellowship, does that decrease my chances of working in a health system/hospital or working my way to the top? I am really conflicted lol and any advice will help

Do you know what year your friend applied for the administrative fellowship at Emory? Because I know someone who did MPH at Emory and got the fellowship program, so I just wanted to check! I thought Emory's administrative fellowships allowed grad students from business, MPH, or MHA. Any information you have would be great, because I'm still trying to decide whether or not I want to go to Emory!

Thanks in advance!
Hi! Did you end up deciding on Emory? I’m trying to decide too

Thank you!

I would definitely reach out to SOPHAS and explain why you need to remove that recommendation and add in a different one. It isn't the worst case scenario but it never looks great when it has a different school name on it.

Hello everyone! I am currently torn between Emory(MPH) HPM(with focus on healthcare management), Tulane MHA and GW MHA. I want to work as a hospital administrator in hospitals/health systems. I am finding it difficult to decide which school to go to because they all have their pros and cons. Emory is a brand name and has connections to the CDC etc. but does that apply to healthcare management? It also isn't CAHME accredited so I'm not sure how that will affect me. Tulane's program seemed to be a great fit after the interview but I don't know how post-grad jobs will look like there. I live in DC so GW is close to home and it's a great program. However, it is 3 years. Since I want to go into healthcare administration, should I focus more on an MHA rather than an MPH and why are administrative fellowships so important? If I don't do an administrative fellowship, does that decrease my chances of working in a health system/hospital or working my way to the top? I am really conflicted lol and any advice will help

Hey!

I'm not sure if you already committed to a program, but I was in a similar boat before I committed. I was weighing Emory MPH-HCM, GW MHA, and BU MPH-HCM before I ultimately decided that GW MHA would best support my future goals. I too am looking at pursuing a long time career in hospital administration with a focus on operations, and hopefully move into a C-Suite position for an outpatient clinic (or something along those lines). The biggest "selling" factor for me was the CAHME accreditation and actually the 3-Year program, which includes the one year fellowship. Not many programs offer such a structure and I truly believe that it provides a more simplified route to obtaining such a competitive experience. I had a chance to speak to a lot of second year students at GW and many of them were accepted into amazing fellowship programs (i.e. JHU, U Chicago, HealthPoint, KP, etc.).

The CAHME accreditation isn't a one off deal, but I do believe that it provides a bit more flexibility if/when you apply for a fellowship/residency. I also found the smaller cohort to be a huge plus in comparison to Emory's program. You move through the entire program as a group, and many say that you walk out with lifelong friendships and connections. You probably know this since you live in DC, but it's hard to beat the fact that you're in the heart of policy making, which greatly impacts how health systems run in our country. As far as not doing a fellowship/residency, I do believe that it makes it a bit more difficult to land a leadership or management role outright (unless you have a lot of prior experience). The fellowship program is designed to provide aspiring healthcare leaders with the tools to lead, propose changes, etc. so a lot of upper level roles do value ones time in a fellowship program (this is what I was told by the program director).

Best of luck! If you want to chat a bit more about why I chose GW MHA lmk!