2021-2022 Pain Fellowship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I figured it would look douchy to put that under accomplishments, unless you get top 10% on the BASIC exam which is a recognized academic achievement. I would just send the CA-1 ITE score individually to all the programs
Thanks! I appreciate the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone else just get UCI's email? Interesting subject line, haha.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Dang starting to pour in?? Better submit soon. Been dragging. Lol

Good luck everyone. Feeling like an MS4 all over again, good stuff. Actually was dreading an early application cycle, but feels good to have it in and knowing I've done what I can up to this point!

As long as you stay the hell away from NYC (probably with the exception of Montefiore), you guys will be good no matter where you go for fellowship!

What about places like NYU, Cornell, Colombia, etc?
2 of those have medical directors in their Pain division who get 6 figure sums from industry. 1 of those 2 I mentioned also has a program director who recently got 5 figure sums from industry. And guess what? The fellows from these two programs dont know how to do an implant for the life of them once they go into practice, even though some of their most supposedly prominent attendings they trained under are deep in the pockets of the device industry.
I wont say exactly which programs. But data about such compensation is public info.
you’ll find much better programs in cities not completely filled with street sh*tters and vagrants

Reactions: 1 user
2 of those have medical directors in their Pain division who get 6 figure sums from industry. 1 of those 2 I mentioned also has a program director who recently got 5 figure sums from industry. And guess what? The fellows from these two programs dont know how to do an implant for the life of them once they go into practice, even though some of their most supposedly prominent attendings they trained under are deep in the pockets of the device industry.
I wont say exactly which programs. But data about such compensation is public info.
you’ll find much better programs in cities not completely filled with street sh*tters and vagrants
sounds like rookie numbers.

Any word from anywhere? Looking back at previous threads some programs already sent their invites out around that time.

Any word from anywhere? Looking back at previous threads some programs already sent their invites out around that time.
Nothing here- Just two virtual open houses (UCI, UAMS).

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied mid-Jan last year. I received 25% of my invites before May.

Be patient and don’t stress too hard.

I was pleasantly surprised by UAMS's open house last night. It was originally a program not totally on my radar, but it looks like they have some good people there and have a good set up.

I was pleasantly surprised by UAMS's open house last night. It was originally a program not totally on my radar, but it looks like they have some good people there and have a good set up.
Did they say anything about application timeline for this year?

Got an interview on Friday. Allegheny Health. Zoom interviews and dates are basically every Tuesday, April - May. Invitation via ERAS.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think anyone asked. Congrats on the interview
Thank you! It was a nice way to end a busy week in the ICU. I have some connections to Pittsburg that are visible on my application. That probably helped get the interview.

Thank you! It was a nice way to end a busy week in the ICU. I have some connections to Pittsburg that are visible on my application. That probably helped get the interview.
Don't sell yourself short. Connections or not, if they didn't think you were a viable candidate they wouldn't have selected your application for an interview. Seems like this is the first one of the season!

Reactions: 1 users
Don't sell yourself short. Connections or not, if they didn't think you were a viable candidate they wouldn't have selected your application for an interview. Seems like this is the first one of the season!

Thank you! Hopefully this is a sign that programs have started looking at applications and there will more activity soon.

I am a primary care sports medicine fellow at JPS currently (originally graduated FM). Our fellowship is heavy in interventional pain procedures including US guided and fluoro-guided injections. I have spent my year of sports medicine doing lumbar spine facet, MBB, ESIs, GNBs, etc. I have decided to take part in both applications for both ACGME and non-ACGME interventional pain. It appears that of 100 or so ACGME programs, only maybe 25% would entertain interviewing me. I have already gotten a couple interviews from non-ACGME programs. Any advice for me as an unorthodox applicant? Was thinking of sending my procedure logs from this year to programs.

I am a primary care sports medicine fellow at JPS currently (originally graduated FM). Our fellowship is heavy in interventional pain procedures including US guided and fluoro-guided injections. I have spent my year of sports medicine doing lumbar spine facet, MBB, ESIs, GNBs, etc. I have decided to take part in both applications for both ACGME and non-ACGME interventional pain. It appears that of 100 or so ACGME programs, only maybe 25% would entertain interviewing me. I have already gotten a couple interviews from non-ACGME programs. Any advice for me as an unorthodox applicant? Was thinking of sending my procedure logs from this year to programs.
Just curious, if you are already doing a sports fellowship and you have learned bread and butter interventional flouro procedures, why do you want to do another fellowship? Seems redundant. I guess I could see some potential benefit doing an ACGME program to learn more advanced procedures, but im not so sure that a non-ACGME fellowship would do much for you. Its another year learning the same things for less pay. If I were you, I'd look for a private practice sports/spine group and learn on the job. Go make that attending money.

Sounds like you’d be competitive

Just curious, if you are already doing a sports fellowship and you have learned bread and butter interventional flouro procedures, why do you want to do another fellowship? Seems redundant. I guess I could see some potential benefit doing an ACGME program to learn more advanced procedures, but im not so sure that a non-ACGME fellowship would do much for you. Its another year learning the same things for less pay. If I were you, I'd look for a private practice sports/spine group and learn on the job. Go make that attending money.
Not necessarily redundant. For referrals it’s better to be be ACGME pain trained. And the pain fellowship is needed to get comfortable for cervical procedures, stim, MILD, Intracept, Kyphos and other unique pain blocks you won’t learn in a sports fellowship.

I would definitely like to widen my skill set with more than just bread and butter procedures. Additionally would like ability to sit for board certification. I never considered pain medicine but I have really found my procedural passions in the fluoro suite. Just worried it may be hard to be considered for interviews by many of the anesthesia and PM&R fellowships around the country.

Anyone heard anything on interviews? Looks like some went out on the spreadsheet.

Anyone know if UNM and Emory already sent out invites? It looks like they were sent out by this time last year.

Does anyone know anything about the UMMS Baystate program?

Does anyone know if interviews for pain are truly rolling? As in they are sent out multiple times during the cycle or is it kind of one-shot deal? If you don't get an interview on the first send out, any chance you can later on?

Maybe a previous applicant would be able to answer this?

It’s program dependent from what I recall. I sent applications after February/ March and I received a few invites but a lot of programs, after emailing them, said they already sent out all invites.

Did Dartmouth really send out rejections already? Can anyone confirm?

Yup same here.

Clueless assuming you received a dartmouth rejection, did you include a "why dartmouth" at the bottom of your eras essay?

I did not. I didnt know they wanted that lol. Dont think I would have done it even if I knew to be honest lol.

Yup same here.

Clueless assuming you received a dartmouth rejection, did you include a "why dartmouth" at the bottom of your eras essay?
Just a heads up for anyone wondering. I know from personal experience that you don't need a "why dartmouth" blurb to get an interview invite. Good luck with the upcoming interview season, everyone! Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Do you think it’s all over? The chicken is in the pot? The horse is in the barn? The eagle has landed?

Do you think it’s all over? The chicken is in the pot? The horse is in the barn? The eagle has landed?
I hope not, because I'd still like to get 'an' invite before I call it over.

Reactions: 1 users