2021 ARRO Graduating Resident Jobs Survey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elementaryschooleconomics

Mask on, Aquaplast, Mask off.
Administrator
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured this deserved its own thread. (note: SDN wouldn't let me insert all the screenshots in a single post, so I'll post them as replies)

Interesting results this year (and interesting to see what ARRO chose to share on Twitter). Full disclaimer, I am not attending ASTRO, so I did not personally witness the presentation. Perhaps some of my questions were answered verbally, and hopefully people who were there can fill in the blanks. Last year, ARRO was much more comprehensive in what they Tweeted (LINK). Maybe that's because it was totally virtual and whoever was running the account was doing it from their office computer, whereas this year someone is doing it from their phone while in Chicago?

As a reminder, this survey was sent to senior (PGY-5) residents on May 14th, 2021, prior to their graduation and prior to starting work as an attending. It was open till at least the end of June, when they Tweeted that they had collected most of the responses (LINK).

Here's what ARRO shared (LINK) (see below).

My immediate thoughts, and I'm very curious what everyone else thinks:

1) This seems like the lowest response rate we've seen in several years (someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that). The data point with the highest population size is 166 (compared to 179 last year, which was 94%). I'm not sure the exact number of potential respondents, but I assume it was similar. If so, 15-20% of the Class of 2021 did not respond to this survey. We can wildly speculate as to why that might be in ways which would support our personal interpretation of the job market, so I'll refrain from doing so.

2) It appears that the option to select "Neutral" in the "Satisfaction Domains" is new this year (here's what it looked like last year). I'm not quite sure what to make of this compared to previous surveys, as the domains are a little different and adding an additional response makes it hard to interpret. Personally, I think adding "Neutral" gives an "escape hatch" to someone who might choose "Dissatisfied" and skews the results away from having more negative values. As someone who filled out the survey this year, I was frustrated with these questions and answers. Ultimately, I am "satisfied" because I found A job within a few hundred miles of my preferred location. However, I had adjusted my expectations significantly lower than what they were when I matched into RadOnc, especially with COVID. So I was "satisfied" that I wasn't unemployed or in a fellowship, but it's more of a...begrudging satisfaction.

3) I don't know if it's valuable to collect newly-hired residents' perception of private practice partner salaries, since, even on the fastest tracks, they're still several years away from that. Regardless, that IQR ($500k-$650k) seems significantly lower than what it used to be, ESPECIALLY considering inflation. Putting aside the arguments of whether or not those doctors "should" earn that amount, I think this is a good barometer of the effects of hypofrac and reimbursement cuts. I also think this number is going to continue to fall. Can some of the more senior private practice folks comment on this?

4) The median PP starting salary appears unchanged. I need to double check, but hasn't this number been stable for at least 5 years? If you throw it in the CPI calculator, you get a sense for the value lost to inflation (not a perfect measure, obviously, but a stagnate salary is not a sign of a robust market).

5) That "Accepted Position Type" slide is very confusing, but appears negative, and seems to support the ASTRO tagline of "just get A job". It appears that they broke down each possible position type people were hired into, and asks if it's their "ideal position". The highest is a mere 43%, for private practice hospital based. If you average out all these values together, you find that a whopping 21.4% of people found their "ideal position". I agree that people shouldn't expect to land their ideal job right out of residency, but I imagine this number is higher for most other specialties, and I would be curious if they still consider this their "ideal position" after, you know, actually starting the job.

6) As predicted, unemployment remains low (1 person reported no offer in 2020 compared to 3 people in 2021). Now, an unscrupulous individual might paint this as "the number of unemployed new Radiation Oncology graduates has tripled in 2021", but I won't do that. Again, no one expects this number to be high this (or next) year. But with APM looming and a 9% cut to radiation services proposed in the 2022 MPFS from CMS - continually producing a surplus of Radiation Oncologists doesn't seem like a sound economic plan.

7) Finally, the slide I'm actually most interested in (and not Tweeted by ARRO) is the number of interviews and the number of offers. There was a median of 4 site interviews (or "virtual equivalent", the meaning of which was left for interpretation) for a median of 2 firm offers. I wish they went one step further, and asked how many applications/cold calls/etc it took to get those interviews. For me, it took more than 70 applications, emails, networking requests, etc to obtain a single site interview which led to a single offer, which I accepted. In talking to my friends, there seemed to be a bimodal distribution of experiences. There were people like me (who contacted a very large number of practices and institutions for a couple of interviews), and then there were people who were lucky enough to reach out to 2-3 places for their job (and it was almost always luck, in that the place they really wanted happened to be hiring last year, there was no secret underground club).

Applying to a large number of jobs for such a low rate of return is, to me, heralding what lies ahead. In an example of "history repeats itself", this was hypothesized in 1994 by Jonathan Sunshine in "Too many radiation oncologists? An empirical report", when he was talking about the job market concerns of the 90s:

“...when program faculty told us of an unemployed radiation oncologist, the story often involved someone who could look for work only where he or she trained, due to a spouse. Straightforward probability calculations show that if a physician has only a 10% chance of finding work in any one locality, he or she, nonetheless, has a 99.5% probability of finding work if he or she is willing to consider any of 50 localities. And there are literally hundreds of localities in the United States.”

One of the main differences between now and then is the application arms race that the Match (and just trying to get into medical school) has turned into. As has been talked about extensively on Twitter recently, my generation has been engaged in the practice of assuming we need to apply to dozens and dozens of residencies to have a chance of getting in. Many of us applied similar logic in trying to get a job in Radiation Oncology. 10-15 years ago, were there many people applying to 70+ places all over America for the chance to land a single job? I doubt it. Our expectation (and experience) with shotgun applying everywhere prepared us well for the current RadOnc job search.

This is a very long post just to say: I saw folks on Twitter implying this is positive data. I believe these people view the "internet misanthrope" narrative about the RadOnc job market as one where we're convinced there are no jobs left and we're all going to be homeless. This is not the case, and is like saying someone who is worried about global warming already believes the ice caps have melted and the polar bears are dead. This data is concerning in the ways I would expect, especially as significant reimbursement cuts loom.

As always, I appreciate the crew at ARRO for giving us pretty much the only data on the job market we ever get!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
1635040928653.png

1635040935297.png

1635040942752.png

1635040951387.png

Members don't see this ad :)
In a restrospective study of n=200 and there’s 20% of the patients lost to follow up, it’s tough to make any good inferences about the group’s outcomes.

Is it really that f***ing hard to find where every RO resident in the country went in 2021?

Reactions: 3 users
In a restrospective study of n=200 and there’s 20% of the patients lost to follow up, it’s tough to make any good inferences about the group’s outcomes.

Is it really that f***ing hard to find where every RO resident in the country went in 2021?
Yup, this is exactly my problem with everyone using these results to make inferences about the job market. Would you be willing to change your practice patterns when presented this quality of evidence? ARRO does a fantastic job, but at the end of the day, this is survey data with an incomplete response rate, done at a time before the residents surveyed even begin their jobs.

This would be like surveying prostate patients about Lupron side effects and outcomes after they've agreed to ADT but before they've received their first injection. Please ASTRO, hire some actual economists to do more robust analysis!

Reactions: 2 users
#3 is spot on. As a partner in a freestanding practice now for a few years, it was unrealistic for me to know what i would be making now back then esp if production based. I doubt a pgy5 has this info outside of a very generalized range/idea. Payment reform is the big elephant in the room that only can further uncertainty.

Last edited:
View attachment 344903

89% response rate pretty reasonable for survey - these response rates are higher than any other specialty that I am aware of. For an analogous market - look at peds heme onc, which has even worse job prospects than rad onc

View attachment 344904

1627843418119-png.341358

View attachment 344905
Someone please explain how response rate is "89%." There are roughly 200-205 graduating residents, and it looks like they have jobs data on 163 or so?

View attachment 344903

89% response rate pretty reasonable for survey - these response rates are higher than any other specialty that I am aware of. For an analogous market - look at peds heme onc, which has even worse job prospects than rad onc

View attachment 344904

1627843418119-png.341358

View attachment 344905
Ah thanks for finding the response rate Tweet (and thanks to Shauna for Tweeting it).

I don't think Pediatric Heme/Onc is really an analogous market, for two important reasons:

1) Virtually no one enters that Fellowship unaware that the market is limited. I have a few friends practicing in it, they knew from Day 1 what they were signing up for and no one ever tried to convince them otherwise.

2) It's a real Fellowship, requiring training and board certification in Pediatrics. While not the most lucrative specialty, you can get a job literally anywhere at any time in Pediatrics, so they have a fallback plan in case they can't get a job. One of my friends will occasionally moonlight as a Pediatric Hospitalist (well, they used to, I haven't asked if they did it recently).

Although, as I type this, perhaps we are becoming more like Peds Heme/Onc: people are openly talking about how difficult it is to get a job in Radiation Oncology, and medical students are, quite appropriately, responding accordingly. Peds Heme/Onc doesn't exactly have folks pounding on the door to get in, and we shouldn't, either.

(unless you just meant that the response rate was analogous because of the small size?)

Reactions: 1 users
Ah thanks for finding the response rate Tweet (and thanks to Shauna for Tweeting it).

I don't think Pediatric Heme/Onc is really an analogous market, for two important reasons:

1) Virtually no one enters that Fellowship unaware that the market is limited. I have a few friends practicing in it, they knew from Day 1 what they were signing up for and no one ever tried to convince them otherwise.

2) It's a real Fellowship, requiring training and board certification in Pediatrics. While not the most lucrative specialty, you can get a job literally anywhere at any time in Pediatrics, so they have a fallback plan in case they can't get a job. One of my friends will occasionally moonlight as a Pediatric Hospitalist (well, they used to, I haven't asked if they did it recently).

Although, as I type this, perhaps we are becoming more like Peds Heme/Onc: people are openly talking about how difficult it is to get a job in Radiation Oncology, and medical students are, quite appropriately, responding accordingly. Peds Heme/Onc doesn't exactly have folks pounding on the door to get in, and we shouldn't, either.

(unless you just meant that the response rate was analogous because of the small size?)
I love how earlier in this thread there is comment about the limitations about extrapolating data from 80% response rate, then later on use an anecdote of a few friends to extrapolate to an entire field. Peds onc fellows are like any other reasonable trainee, they want more than a punchers chance of getting a legit job and thats less than 50% after 3 years right now

1635045239598.png

Sound familiar?

Rad onc is more likely to become more like peds onc than any other specialty - it will be eventually 90% academic with private practice being forced out

I love how earlier in this thread there is comment about the limitations about extrapolating data from 80% response rate, then later on use an anecdote of a few friends to extrapolate to an entire field.
Yes, I'm using an anecdote as a single anonymous internet poster. ASTRO et al tends to use the ARRO data for much larger purposes, and needs to be held to a higher standard.

Totally the same thing, good catch, you got me.

Members don't see this ad :)
shocked the salaries are so high
View attachment 344903

View attachment 344904

1627843418119-png.341358

View attachment 344905

Should we be applauding because our pediatric heme onc colleagues are unemployed?!

Reactions: 1 user

Ranking the worst rad onc programs in the nation - for med students

I thought I would do my own survey for the 2021 class.

In blue is data that is hard verifiable.
In red is data that is sketchy and/or unfindable (at least superficially).

10. Miami - 1 instructor, 2 academic, 1 PP
9. Kansas - 2 PP
8. Tennessee - 1 PP
7. West Virginia - ?
6. Columbia - 1 in Hawaii???
5. Allegheny - ??
4. LIJ - 1 fellow, 1 academic
3. MUSC - 1 went somewhere, or not???
2. NY Presbyterian - ??
1. Baylor - 1 PP, 1 academic

For 50% of the programs I couldn't see where their people went... no trace on Internet.
For 20% of the programs, an "instructor" or "fellow" was produced upon graduation (ie under-employed).
Everyone academic above stayed on at the home institution I think.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
A few preliminary thoughts:

1. 2020 was peak COVID so data will be skewed - must be taken with a grain of salt
2. A relative increase in resident survey non-responders is a cause for concern. As we all know, if one got a great job that one is proud of then they tend to scream from the rooftops for all to hear. Non-response means the opposite.
3. We are playing the long game here - no single point of data on its own tells the whole picture. It is akin to PSA, we follow the overall kinetics not individual values and it can "bounce" in an unanticipated direction on occasion but doesn't change its overall trajectory.
4. I echo what medgator wrote above, new grads have no freaking clue about partnership comps. That number will very frequently be grossly inflated by resident misunderstanding, hiring partner bravado, and the phenomenon of "you will never get it as good as we did."

Reactions: 5 users
Yes, I'm using an anecdote as a single anonymous internet poster. ASTRO et al tends to use the ARRO data for much larger purposes, and needs to be held to a higher standard.

Totally the same thing, good catch, you got me.
Lets be honest here - the data look better than most were expecting, and therefore the "low" response rate was used here, on an anonymous internet message board (not making ASTRO decisions here thankfully) to unreasonably scrutinize the data. Nobody should be applauding anything about peds onc employment, or saying we don't have an oversupply, or that we shouldn't still be concerned about the market.

The data is the data - no use use to talking circles around it (methinks she doth protest too much)

Lets be honest here - the data look better than most were expecting, and therefore the "low" response rate was used here, on an anonymous internet message board (not making ASTRO decisions here thankfully) to unreasonably scrutinize the data. Nobody should be applauding anything about peds onc employment, or saying we don't have an oversupply, or that we shouldn't still be concerned about the market.

The data is the data - no use use to talking circles around it (methinks she doth protest too much)

tell the annoying twitter RadOncs to stop cheering then too

Honestly, the only surprising thing to me is how many kids were "very satisfied" with the process. I can't speak for everyone, but I expected low unemployment, I expected the numbers we're seeing for average starting salaries, I expected the low number of interviews and offers (and honestly feel better about my own experience seeing it).

3 unemployed and 7 in Fellowship (6%) is higher than I would have guessed but is in line with some things that have been published over the last year. While I've heard the rumors (both here and in real life), I'm surprised that at least one person started an academic job at $175k (and 4 people started academic jobs below $250k).

I'll go ahead and call it now, a year in advance: on the 2022 survey, I expect people to report more interviews and more offers. But that's a thread for another time.

#3 is spot on. As a partner in a freestanding practice now for a few years, it was unrealistic for me to know what i would be making now back then esp if production based. I doubt a pgy5 has this info outside of a very generalized range/idea. Payment reform is the big elephant in the room that only can further uncertainty.

Using these big partner salaries in this survey is concerning to me because of how misleading it is. I am currently in a small private practice. I know the salary, how it's derived, and the trends for the last decade. The hospital department I staff has, for the last 3-4 years, generated a relatively stable per-year reimbursement amount. It is approximately 30% lower than peak per-year reimbursement (over the last decade), and coincides almost 1:1 with the adoption of hypofrac. This stable reimbursement amount over the last 3-4 years is possible because of increased work per physician with stable overhead. However, APM and the proposed 8.75% MPFS cuts to radiation services are about two months away from implementation.

So, while I know what the partner salary is - based on APM, CMS cuts, more hypofrac and omission, it's reasonable to expect a 10-20% decrease in partner salary in the next few years, and who knows what it will be by the time I'm eligible for partnership or 10 years from now. Me marking partner salary on a survey isn't really worth much when you think about it.

But that's exactly the kind of data I wish ASTRO (or ACRO, or the ACR, or the ABR, or anyone really) would generate. How big is our current workforce, how many people retire or leave the specialty per year, who works full time or part time, what have the trends been for salary and benefits for people deep into their career, what kind of lateral movement between jobs is there, what the "domains of satisfaction" are for people at every level of their career, etc. Maybe someone out there has already hired RAND and this study is underway and I just haven't heard about it?

I think the ARRO Graduating Resident Survey will, for many years to come, produce "reassuring" data, based on who (and how) that data is collected, and I worry that relying on this as our main indicator of the market is akin to being placed in tepid water which has been set to boil.

just for reference, the Terry Wall survey data (that people quoted for years without this level of scrutiny) had well under 50% response rate
Able to trust the messenger more back then.... ARRO cannot escape percieved biases

Last edited:
n=1 but as once of the 2021 grads, I responded “very satisfied” with the job search. I got 2 firm offers (had several other first and second round interviews lined up with almost offers that I declined when I accepted my offer but was not concerned about not getting a good job). PP partnership track with salary in the higher range of the responses. And I do know what partnership salary is. Incredibly happy with my job.

So let’s interpret these data for what they are. Strong positive data for the current job market but perhaps (7 fellowships, most residents don’t have multiple offers) not as strong as 10 years ago or as strong as say Med Onc.

I still ask medical students to think seriously about their choices and weigh the potential downsides of picking rad onc. Hypofrac, consolidation with more academic satellites, and too many graduates means likely much more limited job prospects 2, 3, or 5 years down the line on our current trajectory. Geographic limitations that always existed for our field will continue to get worse. I love rad onc and my job and very glad I picked this field but if I were a current medical student looking at what’s coming down the line in the next 6-7 years, I may have chosen differently in today’s climate.

I know a couple friends last year that got laughable never true partner, exploitative job offers in somewhat desirable cities. They turned them down because they had other choices. I think some practices are leaning in to the perceived bad job market for graduates, and probably getting some people to sign for these somewhat predatory jobs. But the truth is most of us have more choices and will turn those down.

Reactions: 4 users
Stark honesty from @radiation. Dennis hallahan style.
This is the natural conclusion that most people on this board have pointed out - anyone can the see the medical industrial complex for rad onc is clearly acquiring a larger and larger share of pt volume. Academics have made more and more aggressive moves to consolidate practices, get reimbursed more, and then play exclusionary games with local physicians. Its not that controversial of an opinion

This is the natural conclusion that most people on this board have pointed out - anyone can the see the medical industrial complex for rad onc is clearly acquiring a larger and larger share of pt volume. Academics have made more and more aggressive moves to consolidate practices, get reimbursed more, and then play exclusionary games with local physicians. Its not that controversial of an opinion
Widespread hypofract will make only academic centers (who can charge sky high prices) financially viable and allows them to bring in increasingly distant pts. Mskcc already doing this in the worst way.

Academic hiring is completely dependent on billing excessive prices, not pt demand! (way below 200 pts/year/radonc now and continuously falling ). Bubble waiting to burst whenever this is addressed.

Last edited:
n=1 but as once of the 2021 grads, I responded “very satisfied” with the job search. I got 2 firm offers (had several other first and second round interviews lined up with almost offers that I declined when I accepted my offer but was not concerned about not getting a good job). PP partnership track with salary in the higher range of the responses. And I do know what partnership salary is. Incredibly happy with my job.

So let’s interpret these data for what they are. Strong positive data for the current job market but perhaps (7 fellowships, most residents don’t have multiple offers) not as strong as 10 years ago or as strong as say Med Onc.

I still ask medical students to think seriously about their choices and weigh the potential downsides of picking rad onc. Hypofrac, consolidation with more academic satellites, and too many graduates means likely much more limited job prospects 2, 3, or 5 years down the line on our current trajectory. Geographic limitations that always existed for our field will continue to get worse. I love rad onc and my job and very glad I picked this field but if I were a current medical student looking at what’s coming down the line in the next 6-7 years, I may have chosen differently in today’s climate.

I know a couple friends last year that got laughable never true partner, exploitative job offers in somewhat desirable cities. They turned them down because they had other choices. I think some practices are leaning in to the perceived bad job market for graduates, and probably getting some people to sign for these somewhat predatory jobs. But the truth is most of us have more choices and will turn those down.
Where you geographically agnostic?

Where you geographically agnostic?
Geographically flexible but needed to be a big city (think Seattle, SF, Austin, Dallas, etc) because my SO needs to be in a big city for her career + we want to live the big city downtown lifestyle. I did not pursue jobs where I could not reasonably live downtown.

They are not abundant, but I did come across several >750k partnership track type jobs that fit those criteria.

• Wow
Great discussion above.

But a mean of 4 interviews and 2 offers ain’t winning. This suggest that employers are firmly in the drivers seat and can easily say take it or leave it with little to no room for applicants to negotiate upwards.

Great discussion above.

But a mean of 4 interviews and 2 offers ain’t winning. This suggest that employers are firmly in the drivers seat and can easily say take it or leave it with little to no room for applicants to negotiate upwards.
Would not surprise me at all if half candidates only had 1 offer. Probably 0 unsolicited. When I was in training- and this is common in the vast majority of specialties today- calls would be made to the program director or directly to residents by practices in region looking to hire. I agree that survey probably reflects reframed expectations and relief at finding employment.

Also the data needs to be viewed in the context that expectations have been driven so low now and we are in an era where your average graduate may consider getting just about any job as a win.

It would be more informative to compare these results to those in others specialities like radiology and heme/onc ect. That’s what med students who maybe interested in rad onc are essentially considering when deciding what to apply to, ie what are my long term professional prospects in heme/onc or whatever vs rad onc. I’m sure rad onc would rank right at or near the bottom of all the specialities. This is why viewing the Arro data (not ragging on the volunteers at Arro who put the above data together for free) in isolation and claiming it as some sort of victory is disingenuous.

Anyone going from $65,000 a year to >$200,000 a year will be satisfied. I think these data are a measure of the nothing. Thewallnerus in his or her various forms has laid out exactly why there are too many of us and a need to contract. The satisfaction on day 1 of being done with residency is a meaningless metric.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Also the data needs to be viewed in the context that expectations have been driven so low now and we are in an era where your average graduate may consider getting just about any job as a win.

It would be more informative to compare these results to those in others specialities like radiology and heme/onc ect. That’s what med students who maybe interested in rad onc are essentially considering when deciding what to apply to, ie what are my long term professional prospects in heme/onc or whatever vs rad onc. I’m sure rad onc would rank right at or near the bottom of all the specialities. This is why viewing the Arro data (not ragging on the volunteers at Arro who put the above data together for free) in isolation and claiming it as some sort of victory is disingenuous.

When I graduated 2+ years ago, I had 3 job offers, one instructor position (100K/year at the place I did residency, hahahahaha), full-time clinical academic position (<25 %ile in my desired geography, which I took), and one private practice gig (>90%ile in a desolate location).

Am I happy that I have a job in my desired location, especially growing up with limited means and opportunities? Absolutely! Am I happy working in a position where I am working hard for income in the lower quartile of rad onc salaries with virtually zero negotiating power and extremely hard-to-find opportunities for lateral movement? Absolutely not!!!

There will always be great anecdotal stories and horrible anecdotal stories, and I am glad the poster above got what they wanted.

I am troubled by the lower response rates in years' past (for reasons unclear) and am troubled that we have set our expectations low that recent and new graduates (myself included) have no idea what one is truly worth. At my current shop, there is a scramble right now to find any job for our senior residents. It doesn't matter where they go but just so that the leadership can declare victory. This mission accomplished statement was told to medical students during our "meet and greets" recently, glossing over the fact that we have had multiple graduates go into fellowships or graduates going into predatory "churn and burn" positions. But hey, they got jobs!

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
And what has been going on with residency slots over the last decade in pursuit of that mission? Not hard to figure out why we are overtraining and which group of folks is patently responsible and benefitting from it

Congrats! However, as a business leader in a large multi-site and multi-state practice, I can tell you that many practices prefer hiring a new grad with a low-ish salary on a longer partnership track vs a more expensive experienced physician who would demand a higher salary or shorter partnership track (depending on the specific needs of the practice, of course). Additionally, just about all practices that I work with anticipate declining profits in the 3-5 year range (due to many factors, namely continuing impact of hypofx and APM impact on TC, if you get any), which means that today's partner salary will not be the same as when you reach partner. It's a labor arbitrage strategy that will work to keep some of the partner salaries up for a few more years. Curious to hear others' perspectives on this

• Love
  • Hmm
Congrats! However, as a business leader in a large multi-site and multi-state practice, I can tell you that many practices prefer hiring a new grad with a low-ish salary on a longer partnership track vs a more expensive experienced physician who would demand a higher salary or shorter partnership track (depending on the specific needs of the practice, of course). Additionally, just about all practices that I work with anticipate declining profits in the 3-5 year range (due to many factors, namely continuing impact of hypofx and APM impact on TC, if you get any), which means that today's partner salary will not be the same as when you reach partner. It's a labor arbitrage strategy that will work to keep some of the partner salaries up for a few more years. Curious to hear others' perspectives on this
I agree with you 100%.

I would also add that Medical Oncology appears to be getting off relatively "scot-free" as far as reimbursement cuts go. In the past MO physicians would bring on RO physicians because of the access to a lucrative technical stream of revenue. In that sense, we helped subsidize the MOs.

Now the tables have turned - in our group we (ROs) have access to the infusion revenue stream on mutual patients. We are now being subsidized by our MOs. In the short term this will be tolerated in the name of camaraderie and to maintain our emphasis on comprehensive cancer care. However I can envision a long-term scenario where we become a liability due to our inability to continue to generate robust technical revenue. In that scenario, I can see the MOs divesting themselves of their RO program to a major academic health system. Alternatively, we use fewer RO physicians and more ACPs.

Last edited:
ARRO 1995: year 1 median salary ($151.6k)
ARRO 2014: year 1 median salary ($325k)

Year 1: +4.2% annually
Inflation: +2.3% annually

From 1995-2014, starting salaries for radiation oncologists outpaced inflation.

ARRO 2014: year 1 median salary ($325k), year 2 median salary ($330k)
ARRO 2021: year 1 median salary ($360k), year 2 median salary ($382.5k)

Year 1: +1.5% annually
Year 2: +2.1% annually
Inflation: +2.2% annually

From 2014-2021, starting salaries for radiation oncologists lagged inflation.

AAMC 2016-2017: chair median TC ($720k)
AAMC 2019-2020: chair median TC ($830k)

Chair TC: +4.9% annually
Inflation: +2.0% annually

From 2017-2020, chair TC (total compensation) outpaced inflation.

If anything, these numbers underestimate the damage to the private practice job market, as it doesn't reflect the drop in partnership positions & salaries over the years, as others have alluded to.

ARRO: "At least we all have jobs and aren't doing fellowships..."
Chairs: "Exactly, we have much to be grateful for. Now, stop gawking and get back to work."

Moderators, feel free to move this to the private forum if appropriate.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
ARRO 1995: year 1 median salary ($151.6k)
ARRO 2014: year 1 median salary ($325k)

Year 1: +4.2% annually
Inflation: +2.3% annually

From 1995-2014, starting salaries for radiation oncologists outpaced inflation.

ARRO 2014: year 1 median salary ($325k), year 2 median salary ($330k)
ARRO 2021: year 1 median salary ($360k), year 2 median salary ($382.5k)

Year 1: +1.5% annually
Year 2: +2.1% annually
Inflation: +2.2% annually

From 2014-2021, starting salaries for radiation oncologists lagged inflation.

AAMC 2016-2017: chair median TC ($720k)
AAMC 2019-2020: chair median TC ($830k)

Chair TC: +4.9% annually
Inflation: +2.0% annually

From 2017-2020, chair TC (total compensation) outpaced inflation.

If anything, these numbers underestimate the damage to the private practice job market, as it doesn't reflect the drop in partnership positions & salaries over the years, as others have alluded to.

ARRO: "At least we all have jobs and aren't doing fellowships..."
Chairs: "Exactly, we have much to be grateful for. Now, stop gawking and get back to work."

Moderators, feel free to move this to the private forum if appropriate.
This is the analysis I was looking for (and had too much work to catch up on to do myself). Thank you!

This is the best data we get every year on our job market - a survey about jobs sent to residents who have yet to graduate. In the debate over whether or not there's a job market/economic issue in Radiation Oncology, the folks who believe things are fine (and that I'm some disgruntled misanthrope) point to the low unemployment and high satisfaction domains to proclaim - "everything is fine".

Since arguing about every trial is one of our favorite things, I'll phrase my concern a different way: is this survey powered to detect the overall economic health of Radiation Oncology? I think the answer is: obviously not.

Perceived new graduate satisfaction and unemployment are surrogate endpoints for the health of the RadOnc job market.

An individual's satisfaction is subjective. Believing that perceived satisfaction can be used to interpret market health would be the same as believing that cosmesis can be used to interpret local recurrence in the adjuvant breast trials. Both cosmesis and recurrence are important endpoints, but cosmesis cannot be used to infer risk of recurrence.

Increased new grad unemployment is a stronger surrogate for market health. However, if we wait until the unemployment number rises, we have waited too long. The point of all of us making noise about this is, at least in my opinion, to PREVENT that number from going up.

Obviously, if the survey results were astoundingly negative then there would be very few people left to convince that there's a problem. However, do I wish the 2021 results were astoundingly negative? Absolutely not. Each data point here is a real person, one of our colleagues, who invested a lot of time, energy, and money making it this far, and who may have a family to support. I hope every survey, every year, is as positive as possible.

@yesmaster analyzing starting salary against inflation is a great example of what ASTRO et al could be doing to assess the health of our specialty. Salary lagging inflation is NOT a sign of a strong market. The Chair salary comparison is disgusting but unexpected. While I don't think old white men in cloaks meet by a fire to plot our downfall, I do think there's a general understanding by the people at the top of this pyramid that they can enrich themselves by having a huge resident workforce, which in turn creates a huge junior workforce, who in turn have to compete for increasingly scarce positions, thus driving the salary of those positions down.

The salary trends are a more nuanced surrogate endpoint that will continue to worsen as we face continued reimbursement cuts, continued trials advocating for the reduction or omission of XRT, and no change in the surplus of new RadOncs produced per year. But ASTRO has known of these issues for years, considering the Editor-in-Chief of our main journal was senior author on a publication warning of looming oversupply, writing "the projected oversupply of radiation oncologists presents a challenging problem, which has the potential to enrich equipment owners at the expense of both young physicians and society through the misallocation of scarce talent."

Our healthcare system has the elasticity to absorb a yearly surplus of Radiation Oncologists, but that elasticity is not limitless. As always, my concerns have nothing to do with the actual practice of Radiation Oncology. It remains a fantastically interesting and wonderfully fulfilling career. I love going to work every day.

I just want to make sure those who come after me will also have a chance to love going to work every day, too.

This is the analysis I was looking for (and had too much work to catch up on to do myself). Thank you!

This is the best data we get every year on our job market - a survey about jobs sent to residents who have yet to graduate. In the debate over whether or not there's a job market/economic issue in Radiation Oncology, the folks who believe things are fine (and that I'm some disgruntled misanthrope) point to the low unemployment and high satisfaction domains to proclaim - "everything is fine".

Since arguing about every trial is one of our favorite things, I'll phrase my concern a different way: is this survey powered to detect the overall economic health of Radiation Oncology? I think the answer is: obviously not.

Perceived new graduate satisfaction and unemployment are surrogate endpoints for the health of the RadOnc job market.

An individual's satisfaction is subjective. Believing that perceived satisfaction can be used to interpret market health would be the same as believing that cosmesis can be used to interpret local recurrence in the adjuvant breast trials. Both cosmesis and recurrence are important endpoints, but cosmesis cannot be used to infer risk of recurrence.

Increased new grad unemployment is a stronger surrogate for market health. However, if we wait until the unemployment number rises, we have waited too long. The point of all of us making noise about this is, at least in my opinion, to PREVENT that number from going up.

Obviously, if the survey results were astoundingly negative then there would be very few people left to convince that there's a problem. However, do I wish the 2021 results were astoundingly negative? Absolutely not. Each data point here is a real person, one of our colleagues, who invested a lot of time, energy, and money making it this far, and who may have a family to support. I hope every survey, every year, is as positive as possible.

@yesmaster analyzing starting salary against inflation is a great example of what ASTRO et al could be doing to assess the health of our specialty. Salary lagging inflation is NOT a sign of a strong market. The Chair salary comparison is disgusting but unexpected. While I don't think old white men in cloaks meet by a fire to plot our downfall, I do think there's a general understanding by the people at the top of this pyramid that they can enrich themselves by having a huge resident workforce, which in turn creates a huge junior workforce, who in turn have to compete for increasingly scarce positions, thus driving the salary of those positions down.

The salary trends are a more nuanced surrogate endpoint that will continue to worsen as we face continued reimbursement cuts, continued trials advocating for the reduction or omission of XRT, and no change in the surplus of new RadOncs produced per year. But ASTRO has known of these issues for years, considering the Editor-in-Chief of our main journal was senior author on a publication warning of looming oversupply, writing "the projected oversupply of radiation oncologists presents a challenging problem, which has the potential to enrich equipment owners at the expense of both young physicians and society through the misallocation of scarce talent."

Our healthcare system has the elasticity to absorb a yearly surplus of Radiation Oncologists, but that elasticity is not limitless. As always, my concerns have nothing to do with the actual practice of Radiation Oncology. It remains a fantastically interesting and wonderfully fulfilling career. I love going to work every day.

I just want to make sure those who come after me will also have a chance to love going to work every day, too.
I believe a (legal) point could be made that the chairs are committing downward price rigging of starting rad onc salaries by fueling oversupply, thereby increasing rad onc department profit margins, thereby stamping out competitors who don't have easy access to cheap labor, thereby enriching themselves, thereby engaging in antitrust practices.

Some PD basically compared me to Hitler, the other day. Interesting analogy.

I’ve met a lot of residents already this weekend. These are smart people that were fed a bill of goods. It was no fault of their own, despite what we said/are saying. Their mentors said and continue to say “job market’s fine”.

Early in their training/career, who are they going to believe? Me? You guys? KHE88? No. They are going to believe the doctors that work with them daily, that are telling their truth as seen before their eyes. I don’t doubt that that their are honest faculty that can talk about our challenges with nuance. But, nuance takes time / energy and it’s easy to just say “99% have jobs, they seem happy” and continue on their way.

I had a great evening with dozens of residents and I told them to speak up to their superiors and to fight the good fight. But, people are going to do what they need to do. I don’t fault them for it. But, instead of being angry with me or comparing me to dictators, maybe they should consider having that nuance, a curious mindset and really ask the tough questions rather than looking at a survey and deciding “it’s all good.”

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
@Dan Spratt what's your goal for your residents? Just any ol' job? Adjust expectations low enough and everyone's happy, like Eichler said, the goal is a "job" the 3 factors be damned

Attachments

• Screensho.jpg
    Screensho.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 143
Some PD basically compared me to Hitler, the other day. Interesting analogy.

I’ve met a lot of residents already this weekend. These are smart people that were fed a bill of goods. It was no fault of their own, despite what we said/are saying. Their mentors said and continue to say “job market’s fine”.

Early in their training/career, who are they going to believe? Me? You guys? KHE88? No. They are going to believe the doctors that work with them daily, that are telling their truth as seen before their eyes. I don’t doubt that that their are honest faculty that can talk about our challenges with nuance. But, nuance takes time / energy and it’s easy to just say “99% have jobs, they seem happy” and continue on their way.

I had a great evening with dozens of residents and I told them to speak up to their superiors and to fight the good fight. But, people are going to do what they need to do. I don’t fault them for it. But, instead of being angry with me or comparing me to dictators, maybe they should consider having that nuance, a curious mindset and really ask the tough questions rather than looking at a survey and deciding “it’s all good.”
A kapo was comparing you to Hitler? Thats rich.

• Haha
@Dan Spratt what's your goal for your residents? Just any ol' job? Adjust expectations low enough and everyone's happy, like Eichler said, the goal is a "job" the 3 factors be damned
The irony of Spratt (through who he chose to reply to and how he chose to reply) implying the debate about whether or not the field faces significant market trouble has been settled based on a resident survey is palpable, after he spent the entire day Tweeting about how we shouldn't be making inferences from anything but the highest level of evidence, and how doing so is actually dangerous.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
The irony of Spratt (through who he chose to reply to and how he chose to reply) implying the debate about whether or not the field faces significant market trouble has been settled based on a resident survey is palpable, after he spent the entire day Tweeting about how we shouldn't be making inferences from anything but the highest level of evidence, and how doing so is actually dangerous.
@Dan Spratt we debate ideas here, not people. Please tell me how the data shows the job market is great for current residents

I like the idea of asking who's more satisfied after whole breast in HR+ breast cancer, the woman who got tangents aimed at the breast, or one that had them aimed one meter above it. In the resident survey, we're just asking a bunch of note monkeys if they'd rather continue that or make more money and have more autonomy. It's not hard to imagine who'd be more happy on day one, while knowing we're missing the cancer as it were, which I suppose isn;t such a big deal in either case if you're planning to retire in the next 5-10 years. Let the next gen deal with the recurrence...