2021 VA - Healthcare Professional Scholarship Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BC_89

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who may not know, the 2021 VA-HPSP has opened up with a new process for submission and due date. For those interested in working for the VA for a minimal obligation right after graduation / certification go ahead and click the link below for more details:

Application Process - Veterans Affairs (intelliworxit.com)

FYI - Veteran Preference is always in your favor :cool:

Best of Luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For those who may not know, the 2021 VA-HPSP has opened up with a new process for submission and due date. For those interested in working for the VA for a minimal obligation right after graduation / certification go ahead and click the link below for more details:

Application Process - Veterans Affairs (intelliworxit.com)

FYI - Veteran Preference is always in your favor :cool:

Best of Luck!

Do you have to be a veteran in order to receive the scholarship?

Do you have to be a veteran in order to receive the scholarship?

Although it is taken into consideration, you do not need to be a veteran to apply.

I believe the exception this year is if your a PA student you must have veteran status. Anyone else can simply apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Still confused about something with respect to the stipend and when I emailed the scholarship office contact email I didn't really get an answer either.

They pay tuition and you get the ~$1100/mo stipend. But how does that interact with the other parts of the COA that you would have otherwise received through loans? For housing, transportation, etc.

If you add up the non-tuition COA budget items it often adds up to over 2k/mo. Would you still be able to get those budgeted items via loans and then the stipend on top of it? Or does the stipend replace that, but that means you get significantly less money for housing, etc?

Still confused about something with respect to the stipend and when I emailed the scholarship office contact email I didn't really get an answer either.

They pay tuition and you get the ~$1100/mo stipend. But how does that interact with the other parts of the COA that you would have otherwise received through loans? For housing, transportation, etc.

If you add up the non-tuition COA budget items it often adds up to over 2k/mo. Would you still be able to get those budgeted items via loans and then the stipend on top of it? Or does the stipend replace that, but that means you get significantly less money for housing, etc?
I think you can take up to the full COA plus the stipend.

Reactions: 1 user

Depending how you wish to report it (ie program contract vs student scholarship) when updating FAFSA each year in school, it should not have a hinderance of your cost of attendance / housing cap loans. I am currently covered 100% from Chapter 31 veteran benefits that gets reported by the semester to the program and business office. Part of that includes a monthly housing stipend.

I still have the ability to tap into and receive full COA loan coverage if desired.

Just checked on the status of my VA-HPSP. Says that my application packet has been scored. Not sure what the score is or how many points make up the score. For those of you who have been through this, how long was it before you found out whether or not you were awarded after your application was scored? I am a nervouswreck right now!

Just checked on the status of my VA-HPSP. Says that my application packet has been scored. Not sure what the score is or how many points make up the score. For those of you who have been through this, how long was it before you found out whether or not you were awarded after your application was scored? I am a nervouswreck right now!
any news yet? and do you think it is too late to apply now?

any news yet? and do you think it is too late to apply now?
I was awarded and have gone through all of the background checks, etc. Just waiting on the vendorization process to occur.