VA HPSP (Physician)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi! I submitted around the same time as you, did you end up reaching out? If so, can I send you a message? Thanks!
Hi! Yes I did reach out, they said the application can take 30 days to score, my application is still being scored and once it does they make a decision!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My status just changed to "Application Packet Selection Ready" Does anyone know what this means?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received the scholarship!!! Beyond excited!!!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Yo I just made a Facebook group for us if anyone is interested. I don’t know what we’ll use it for, but if anything it’ll be nice to have connections to a few others going through the same new program! Here’s the link:

Plugging the Facebook group for all you new recipients. Good luck this cycle, with med school, and with the bureaucratic utopia that is the VA!

Did anyone have difficulty getting the academic verification completed by their school? I haven’t been able to have anyone complete this after getting handed off to multiple different people. It’s pretty frustrating and am basically at a loss at this point how to finalize the application.

Did anyone have difficulty getting the academic verification completed by their school? I haven’t been able to have anyone complete this after getting handed off to multiple different people. It’s pretty frustrating and am basically at a loss at this point how to finalize the application.
I had this issue. Have you tried contacting the University registrar? I believe they’re the ones that complete the paperwork for verification

I had this issue. Have you tried contacting the University registrar? I believe they’re the ones that complete the paperwork for verification

Thanks, yeah they seem to be the ones who ultimately have to complete it, but apparently they’ve never seen the program before and really don’t want to fill it out.

Hey all! I am in process of applying for this scholarship but do you think its too late? I am incoming MS-1 knowing where I am going. For those that are MS-1 did you submit transcripts from undegrad? Also how many LORs did you need? Thank you!

Also for those who got accepted how did you write about your activities were they bullet point/resume style or my like your application with stories etc. Thank you!

Incoming MS1, still awaiting scoring as applied 3 weeks ago. Activity names were bullet-point listed in application and details in the resume. Submitted undergrad transcripts. Evaluation & recommendation is a standard form to be completed by 1)Academic Faculty 2)Employer (non-VA) 2) VA Employer. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all! I am in process of applying for this scholarship but do you think its too late? I am incoming MS-1 knowing where I am going. For those that are MS-1 did you submit transcripts from undegrad? Also how many LORs did you need? Thank you!
It is a continuing online application with no due dates. That said, congress sets the rating / budget on how many slots can be picked up throughout the year. As an MS-1, you need to submit undergrad transcripts and follow the link. You can always apply for the scholarship to take place at a future semester, or as early as the upcoming fall.

They do take a few things into account: veteran status, GPA, cost & time obligation for schooling. I would also keep in mind, that if your application is declined for the scholarship, you have 1-year from the time of your application to resubmit. This would mean that at this time every single year, you would be applying based on the number of positions available around this time period (just something to keep in mind).

Best of luck

It is a continuing online application with no due dates. That said, congress sets the rating / budget on how many slots can be picked up throughout the year. As an MS-1, you need to submit undergrad transcripts and follow the link. You can always apply for the scholarship to take place at a future semester, or as early as the upcoming fall.

They do take a few things into account: veteran status, GPA, cost & time obligation for schooling. I would also keep in mind, that if your application is declined for the scholarship, you have 1-year from the time of your application to resubmit. This would mean that at this time every single year, you would be applying based on the number of positions available around this time period (just something to keep in mind).

Best of luck

Best of luck
Thank you both! So when you say I get to choose when I receive that is there a spot to select that in the application? I haven't seen that yet, is it past the essays? Thank you!
Incoming MS1, still awaiting scoring as applied 3 weeks ago. Activity names were bullet-point listed in application and details in the resume. Submitted undergrad transcripts. Evaluation & recommendation is a standard form to be completed by 1)Academic Faculty 2)Employer (non-VA) 2) VA Employer. Hope this helps.

How long did it take from submission to receiving the offer?
About a month! I submitted feb 24 and got it March 28, the day before I got an email about the alternative list but apparently that just means you are eligible to be selected!

About a month! I submitted feb 24 and got it March 28, the day before I got an email about the alternative list but apparently that just means you are eligible to be selected!
Thank you for your reply. :)

So when you say I get to choose when I receive that is there a spot to select that in the application? I haven't seen that yet, is it past the essays? Thank you!
As you go through the process, you'll be required to have information filled out by the dean (or his/her representative) of your program. This is the academic verification form that states the beginning of your enrollment status. Also (depending how it works for those that are not yet enrolled in the program), there should be a portion that requests the timeframe for coverage. I would fill out the application as much as you can to see how that is portrayed and stay in touch with the faculty representative (certain programs have gone through changes, so choosing a future semester/term may not be on the table depending [unfortunately] on the number of slots).

If you have questions or concerns about the number of available slots and determining the best time to apply (if not now), you can always reach the program office for a much more detailed explanation (certain changes have taken place over the past year since the program went 100% online). Slots change frequently, and the applicant pool is at its largest this time of year.

I would check the longevity of this thread to see how trends have worked. Once you've done that, I would email a representative in the link below to help further guide your scholarship plans and questions.

VA Scholarships Program - Program Office Contacts

Hi everyone! Quick Question, my status just changed to Offer Pending, does that mean I've been selected for the scholarship? They mentioned a selection committee and background check in the notification but I just need some confirmation before I get too excited!

Hi everyone! Quick Question, my status just changed to Offer Pending, does that mean I've been selected for the scholarship? They mentioned a selection committee and background check in the notification but I just need some confirmation before I get too excited!
Yes! This means the selection committee liked you and now the chairmen just needs to sign off on their decision. For me it took just under a week to get the official notice that I was offered

Congratulations!!! What was your turn around time!

Yes! This means the selection committee liked you and now the chairmen just needs to sign off on their decision. For me it took just under a week to get the official notice that I was offered
Oh wow that's amazing! Thank you!!

Hey Guys, have anyone else waited for much longer than 30 days?

I have been waiting for 42 days, and I haven’t heard anything yet. Any advice?

Last edited:
Does anyone know about the Nurse Practitioner route? Has anyone applied who is in a PMHNP program? I got accepted into a Post Masters Certificate Mental Health program and am trying to see if it qualifies.

Yes having the same issue. Like the nursing office has a secretary and she does not do well with online anything. So my application has been at a stand still for weeks although this is the last check box. I have emailed HPSP staff and received feedback, I forwarded the email to her. If I were able to fill it out I would but as of now I don't know what else to do.

This is literally me. My school can give the accreditation information but doesn't understand how it's supposed to say what my coursework will be each "semester" after my pre-clinicals because it has no idea in which order I'll take clerkships or what all my fourth year electives will be. How did people get around this? My school is throwing up their hands and telling me it's the VA's job to bend these requirements but I'm losing my mind trying to get them to speculate about an order in the same way they can only estimate tuition since it's not set. I emailed HPSP multiple times this week because they rejected my verification and asked to re-submit but won't respond to any emails asking for clarity. My school's registrar and financial aid dean are on these emails trying to get clarity. It's nuts. We finally just sort of gave up and they gave me the catalogue of fourth year electives, I'm going to pick ones I think I want, and then we'll just submit that. Any pointers from others would be greatly appreciated.
Does your school have overarching course names per year? For instance, we have a ton of smaller courses that take place under the name Foundations of Medical Science 1, Foundations of Medical Science 2. And then clerkship year has something like Foundations of Clinical Care 1. And then elective rotations are listed as Foundations fo Clinical Care 2.
I have no clue what 4th year electives I'll be doing, but they are covered under that broad class name.

This is literally me. My school can give the accreditation information but doesn't understand how it's supposed to say what my coursework will be each "semester" after my pre-clinicals because it has no idea in which order I'll take clerkships or what all my fourth year electives will be. How did people get around this? My school is throwing up their hands and telling me it's the VA's job to bend these requirements but I'm losing my mind trying to get them to speculate about an order in the same way they can only estimate tuition since it's not set. I emailed HPSP multiple times this week because they rejected my verification and asked to re-submit but won't respond to any emails asking for clarity. My school's registrar and financial aid dean are on these emails trying to get clarity. It's nuts. We finally just sort of gave up and they gave me the catalogue of fourth year electives, I'm going to pick ones I think I want, and then we'll just submit that. Any pointers from others would be greatly appreciated.
Hey! Best way I go through my school is I asked my advisor who handles the military HPSP scholarships. Apparently each school has someone who handles this and had them fill it out!

For 3rd and 4th year, My school wrote…

Start and end date: based on current year

Course title: Spring (or Fall) 3rd (or 4th) clinical rotations

Course Number: OMED …

Credit Hr: 60

Tuition: I asked them to make a general prediction or state what it is for the current 3rd and 4th year.

Fees: Mandatory general fee

We got it fixed and it looks like things are good, so long as the VA approves the financial verification form. My program has designated the actual coursework needed to complete the degree. It was a matter of the delegated person not being computer savvy at all and needing help.

Hi all, I submitted my application on May 19, and it is June 19 it is still stating

Application Packet Selection Ready

Did anyone else still have this or take longer than a month to verify or review? Thank you

Hi all, I submitted my application on May 19, and it is June 19 it is still stating

Application Packet Selection Ready

Did anyone else still have this or take longer than a month to verify or review? Thank you
Today is six weeks and two days, still hoping for the best. Good Luck.

I submitted today. Really hope I'm selected. Good luck to all the other applicants.

Hey Guys, have anyone else waited for much longer than 30 days?

I have been waiting for 42 days, and I haven’t heard anything yet. Any advice?
Did you every hear back? If so how long was the wait for you? Thanks for your time.

Does anyone know the process of having a different dean of admissions fill out the academic verification if another dean of admissions filled it out already? I was accepted to another school after the academic verification was completed at school A. Scott Dixon left me with some vague-ish instructions before he moved on. It looks like I can change info for the verification on my own account but my dean wants her own private link (understandable) and I haven't heard from anyone from the hpspteam email or [email protected] listed on the website.

Does anyone know the process of having a different dean of admissions fill out the academic verification if another dean of admissions filled it out already? I was accepted to another school after the academic verification was completed at school A. Scott Dixon left me with some vague-ish instructions before he moved on. It looks like I can change info for the verification on my own account but my dean wants her own private link (understandable) and I haven't heard from anyone from the hpspteam email or [email protected] listed on the website.
Have you received the scholarship yet? I used the school I got into first to get the scholarship and then when I got off the waitlist at my top school, I submitted a change of school request in the portal. You don’t get that option until you’ve got the scholarship though

Have you received the scholarship yet? I used the school I got into first to get the scholarship and then when I got off the waitlist at my top school, I submitted a change of school request in the portal. You don’t get that option until you’ve got the scholarship though
No, my current school (or previous one) never received a payout for the scholarship. They approved my request for a change in school but my current Dean wants her own private link to fill out the verification under herself for my current school and Im not sure how to get one. I just have access to change the verification under my own account, which she doesn't want to submit anything as me. But someone gave me another email to contact!

I was placed on alternate status. I'll take it! Very happy.

Hey, just got an email that says “Your application has been placed in Alternate status. This simply means that you will be offered the scholarship in Oct 2023 to start with the semester that will commence in Jan 2024.” This means I got the scholarship, right?

I’m elated and torn. I’m worried about committing to something 7+ years down the line. Wondering if anyone else could speak to how they made the decision to take the scholarship and what the experience has been like thus far (in terms of communication, timeliness/ease of accessing funds, etc).

TIA

Hey, just got an email that says “Your application has been placed in Alternate status. This simply means that you will be offered the scholarship in Oct 2023 to start with the semester that will commence in Jan 2024.” This means I got the scholarship, right?

I’m elated and torn. I’m worried about committing to something 7+ years down the line. Wondering if anyone else could speak to how they made the decision to take the scholarship and what the experience has been like thus far (in terms of communication, timeliness/ease of accessing funds, etc).

TIA

It’s a fair question. Either way you have to commit. For most of us it’s between committing to loans or this program. It was a no-brainer for me because I already intended on working at the VA after residency. I would recommend sitting down and considering the risk and benefits of your options. If loans are your alternative consider the interest rate accrual during med school, monthly payments, how long it will take you to pay off the loan, etc. Also, the VA work environment isn’t for everyone. Maybe reach out to a current VA physician in your area and ask about their experience. Luckily you have a few months to decide. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
It’s a fair question. Either way you have to commit. For most of us it’s between committing to loans or this program. It was a no-brainer for me because I already intended on working at the VA after residency. I would recommend sitting down and considering the risk and benefits of your options. If loans are your alternative consider the interest rate accrual during med school, monthly payments, how long it will take you to pay off the loan, etc. Also, the VA work environment isn’t for everyone. Maybe reach out to a current VA physician in your area and ask about their experience. Luckily you have a few months to decide. Best of luck!
Even disregarding the flexibility to change plans, I don't know if it's necessarily a no-brainer even if you are certain about working for the VA after residency. Working for the VA at many sites has a pretty substantial loan repayment benefit, and the pay isn't tremendously worse than a lot of academic jobs for most specialties, and you're eligible for PSLF at the VA without paying anything, so there are a few ways to come out financially ahead (i.e. less total money payed toward loans) just straight up working for the VA and paying your loans rather than obligating yourself to (potentially a specific, suboptimal facility of) the VA for a few years.

Even disregarding the flexibility to change plans, I don't know if it's necessarily a no-brainer even if you are certain about working for the VA after residency. Working for the VA at many sites has a pretty substantial loan repayment benefit, and the pay isn't tremendously worse than a lot of academic jobs for most specialties, and you're eligible for PSLF at the VA without paying anything, so there are a few ways to come out financially ahead (i.e. less total money payed toward loans) just straight up working for the VA and paying your loans rather than obligating yourself to (potentially a specific, suboptimal facility of) the VA for a few years.

Yes I’m aware of this. The loan repayment is not ideal for me. There is a cap on the amount of loan repayment and during that time a substantial amount of interest will accrue so HPSP is financially more beneficial since I will be working there regardless. This difference is hundreds of thousands of dollars. Pursuing this program is a very personal decision, but as I mentioned earlier, it made the most sense for me.

I also got the “Your application has been placed in Alternate status. This simply means that you will be offered the scholarship in Oct 2023 to start with the semester that will commence in Jan 2024.”

In my mind I think this means I 100% have the scholarship, but I will get it in the 2nd half of first year in medical school.

I saw a mention about the VA offering loan repayment benefits. Can someone educate me on what that is? Even though I got the scholarship which covers tuition, it seems I would still need to take out some loans throughout med school for living costs. I also have loans from undergrad/grad program to repay. My plan is to make the minimum payments in residency and throughout the time commitment at the VA (about 6 years) to get those forgiven. Is this a decent plan or is there some caveat that I am missing? Perhaps the benefits of loan repayments at the VA will affect this some way.

Thanks!!

I also got the “Your application has been placed in Alternate status. This simply means that you will be offered the scholarship in Oct 2023 to start with the semester that will commence in Jan 2024.”

In my mind I think this means I 100% have the scholarship, but I will get it in the 2nd half of first year in medical school.

I saw a mention about the VA offering loan repayment benefits. Can someone educate me on what that is? Even though I got the scholarship which covers tuition, it seems I would still need to take out some loans throughout med school for living costs. I also have loans from undergrad/grad program to repay. My plan is to make the minimum payments in residency and throughout the time commitment at the VA (about 6 years) to get those forgiven. Is this a decent plan or is there some caveat that I am missing? Perhaps the benefits of loan repayments at the VA will affect this some way.

Thanks!!

TLDR certain job postings offer 40k/yr toward loans to aid recruitment (search for EDRP in the posting to determine if they offer it)

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone been offered the scholarship for fall of 2024?

Has anyone been offered the scholarship for fall of 2024?
I got an alternate email on the 1st. So far, everyone I have spoke to has alternate email or rejected. And the alternate email is for the fall selection rather than the winter semester like some of the previous posts here

I got an alternate email on the 1st. So far, everyone I have spoke to has alternate email or rejected. And the alternate email is for the fall selection rather than the winter semester like some of the previous posts here
Did they say how many scholarships they're offering this year?