2023-2024 APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyDontWantToDoThis

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please use this thread to share information about the 2023-2024 APPIC internship interview invitations.
Interview Excel Sheet

Here is the link from last year for folks to see the last 3 years' worth of data in one spot! (Thanks to loveroflinehanandresick)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vZ-GqazsCx-kUv8GLR33IgnDPfVZlNbO/edit#gid=1003449805

Please use the following format-

Official Site Name:
Speciality Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums):
Date Invitation Received:
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email):
Interview Dates Offered:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for starting this thread. Now begins the waiting!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to everyone who submitted AAPIC applications! And now we wait....

In the meantime, does anyone have a sense of whether general clinical child tracks are more competitive than peds psych tracks? I applied to mostly AMC but a mix of tracks. Curious if I should be expecting more interviews from certain tracks....

Reactions: 2 users
I’m already anxious about the waiting and I only submitted my applications last week…this is going to be a looooong process 🫣

Reactions: 1 user
Most people still doing virtual interviews?
Yes, it seems that the vast majority of sites are sticking with virtual, which is fantastic for equity with respect to the costs of travel. I think 1/16 sites to which I applied requires an in-person interview. A few more have optional open houses that occur after interviews; sites stated that these are solely for the benefit of applicants who may wish to see sites but will not impact rank.

Yes, it seems that way. I have 3 sites out of 11 that mention onsite interviews and 2 of these are optional but preferred.

If you have the option and can pragmatically swing it, I always recommend seeing the site in person. Hugely changed my rankings after being there.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have the option and can pragmatically swing it, I always recommend seeing the site in person. Hugely changed my rankings after being there.
Every site I looked at is virtual and many of them said in their brochures that they do not even allow in-person interviews or visits anymore. They stated that they feel virtual interviews are more equitable and therefore having any in-person interviews/visits is unfair and biased towards higher SES students.

Every site I looked at is virtual and many of them said in their brochures that they do not even allow in-person interviews or visits anymore. They stated that they feel virtual interviews are more equitable and therefore having any in-person interviews/visits is unfair and biased towards higher SES students.

Sucks that in promoting some definition of equity, that they'd take away a very useful metric that applicants can use in making their rankings. An ebbing tide sinks all ships type of situation. Especially for my past sites. Ranking decisions were mostly made before interviews even happened, the site visit was more for the applicants benefit.

Sucks that in promoting some definition of equity, that they'd take away a very useful metric that applicants can use in making their rankings. An ebbing tide sinks all ships type of situation. Especially for my past sites. Ranking decisions were mostly made before interviews even happened, the site visit was more for the applicants benefit.

I definitely agree with you. But just double checking, but from your perspective being on selection committees, it doesn’t at all harm applicants if they are unable to attend in-person open houses out of state? Difficult with children who are not in daycare yet

I definitely agree with you. But just double checking, but from your perspective being on selection committees, it doesn’t at all harm applicants if they are unable to attend in-person open houses out of state? Difficult with children who are not in daycare yet

Not in my experience. We routinely ranked phone applicants in our top group. If anything, this group usually had a higher rank than others because this was usually people who were likely top applicants everywhere they applied and had scheduling conflicts. As I mentioned, our ranks were fairly set after initial application review.

Not in my experience. We routinely ranked phone applicants in our top group. If anything, this group usually had a higher rank than others because this was usually people who were likely top applicants everywhere they applied and had scheduling conflicts. As I mentioned, our ranks were fairly set after initial application review.
Can you say more about the application review process, especially in regards to how you were ranking applicants that early with just with their application materials? E.g., What aspects of the application materials carried the most weight, what/how from the interviews adjust those early rankings, etc.

Can you say more about the application review process, especially in regards to how you were ranking applicants that early with just with their application materials? E.g., What aspects of the application materials carried the most weight, what/how from the interviews adjust those early rankings, etc.

Big part was fit with our site. Did it make sense for this applicant to want to work with us? For example, I've always been at adult only sites, it'd be weird for a person with all child experience to want to be there. They simply lack the foundational experiences, and that is not a good level to learn foundations. Are their stated goals consistent with what we offer? After that, program quality played a role, diploma mills applicants were largely not considered outside of the top 1 percent of applicants from those programs. For neuro, at least, where you did your pracs, and the letters of rec played a decent role as we're a relatively smaller community, and many of us know each other.

As for the interviews, they never really pushed anyone up in the rankings. If anything, it brought people down. Most often because someone just acted inappropriately. Sometimes because in vignette case conceptualizations, some applicants couldn't conceptualize what we set up as very easy cases (e.g., the most typical Alzheimer's case you can imagine).

Official Site Name: Rutgers University Behavioral Healthcare - Newark, NJ
Speciality Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Child Track
Date Invitation Received: 11/2/22 @ 1:30pm EST
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): Email
Interview Dates Offered: 12/21

:giggle:

Reactions: 5 users

It has begun…

Congratulations!!

• Care

So exciting! Congratulations!

• Care
Congrats to everyone who submitted AAPIC applications! And now we wait....

In the meantime, does anyone have a sense of whether general clinical child tracks are more competitive than peds psych tracks? I applied to mostly AMC but a mix of tracks. Curious if I should be expecting more interviews from certain tracks....
I was wondering this, too, and also applied it to a mix of both clinical child and peds tracks. I have felt/heard ped psych is sort of its own niche in a way and clinical child is a little easier/less niche. I'd love to hear more thoughts though!

I so look forward to a time in my life when I am not anxiously waiting to hear back about interviews or acceptances. Good luck in the process everyone!

Best of luck to all of us applying! As someone who has lived vicariously through the Internship threads on this forum over the past 4 years, I am very excited to interact with everyone and be a part of everything that comes with the APPIC match process.

So, my fellow applicants, as the youths say nowadays: "LET'S GET THIS BREAD!" :soexcited:

Any insight into what leads programs to extend their deadline after it has passed when there are no errors in their materials or changes to the application process? Not enough applicants in the initial pool?

Any insight into what leads programs to extend their deadline after it has passed when there are no errors in their materials or changes to the application process? Not enough applicants in the initial pool?
Probably so. Each program has a general range of how many applicants versus interviews given versus candidates ranked might lead to successfully filling all slots in Phase 1. So if they are clearly behind that number, it would make sense to extend if that’s an option.

Another option could be that application review timeframe and/or interviews are being pushed back further due than originally anticipated, likely due to things a training program can’t control, so they want to give more people an opportunity to apply (even if numbers already look decent).

Good luck to all who are applying this cycle!

Does anyone know if UNC school of medicine is offering its clinical-forensic track this year? I can't find any information on it for this cycle, but also don't see anything explicitly stating it isn't being offered. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something!

Does anyone know if UNC school of medicine is offering its clinical-forensic track this year? I can't find any information on it for this cycle, but also don't see anything explicitly stating it isn't being offered. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something!
Unfortunately it's no longer offered. A message went out a few weeks ago in one of those "Late-Breaking Internship News" emails. Here's the message:

"Beginning with the 2023-2024 internship class, the UNC Clinical Psychology Internship Program will no longer offer a Clinical Forensic track. We are pleased to announce 4 new internship tracks: Primary Care (2 positions), Addiction Medicine (2 positions), Adult Psychotherapy (1 position), and Behavioral Medicine-Primary Care (1 position). In total, UNC will now offer 14 intern positions in 12 training tracks. Visit https://www.med.unc.edu/psych/education/psychology-internship/ to learn more."

Good luck to all! I just received my first response from a site (Western State Hospital)--a courteous interview rejection. Will keep thread posted, especially for any who are looking at psychiatric hospital/forensic sites.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi Everyone,

I recently received an invite to a happy hour at ABCT that I will not be able to attend. I have 2 questions. 1) When I decline the invite should I provide any additional details? 2) I know they say that these events do not influence interview invites, but realistically am I hurting my chances by not being able to attend?

Thanks!

Hey all, current intern here who matched in phase 2 last year with a brand new rotation in the Utah Psychology Internship Consortium (UT-PIC). My placement is in a private practice in a rural mountain town not far from Salt Lake City where I commute from. I was pretty bummed not matching phase 1. However, I'm incredibly grateful for it as I'd have never found my current site which I've enjoyed more than I could have hoped.

If you love the outdoors, want autonomy and respectable work/life balance, and are also looking for a private practice experience working in a rural community (which seemed rare through my application process), please check out the link below. I'd also be happy to answer any questions people may have about the consortium and my own individual experience.

Our site is called Solstice Counseling & Wellness. The deadline is November 15th.

Best of luck to you all!

Hey all, current intern here who matched in phase 2 last year with a brand new rotation in the Utah Psychology Internship Consortium (UT-PIC). My placement is in a private practice in a rural mountain town not far from Salt Lake City where I commute from. I was pretty bummed not matching phase 1. However, I'm incredibly grateful for it as I'd have never found my current site which I've enjoyed more than I could have hoped.

If you love the outdoors, want autonomy and respectable work/life balance, and are also looking for a private practice experience working in a rural community (which seemed rare through my application process), please check out the link below. I'd also be happy to answer any questions people may have about the consortium and my own individual experience.

Our site is called Solstice Counseling & Wellness. The deadline is November 15th.

Best of luck to you all!
As a graduate of the University of Utah, I can tell you with confidence that Salt Lake City is an underrated place. Denver folks will often brag about immediate access to the outdoors; Salt Lake takes that claim to task. 15 minute bike ride, and you're on a single track hiking/mountain bike trail. 30 minute drive, and your at Brighton Ski Resort. 5 National Parks in Utah and Salt Lake City has a thriving counter culture scene and is an incredibly affirming community.

Strongly second this recommendation if it fits your interests.

Anyone receive an invite from the Phoenix VA? They were supposed to go out yesterday or today. We've been having tech issues with our university email and I want to make sure I haven't missed anything. Thanks!

Anyone receive an invite from the Phoenix VA? They were supposed to go out yesterday or today. We've been having tech issues with our university email and I want to make sure I haven't missed anything. Thanks!

Based on the excel sheet, it looks like there were personalized emails sent out yesterday for the neuro, health, and PTSD-MH tracks.

@theSteppenwolf , I received an invite yesterday and forgot to post. I think a few other people from different tracks received invites as well according to the interview Excel sheet. Wishing you the best of luck and hoping you get good news today!!!

Official Site Name: Phoenix VAMC
Speciality Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Neuropsych Track
Date Invitation Received: 11/8/22
Interview Dates Offered: 12/12-15/2022 and 1/3-5/2023

Hi Everyone,

I recently received an invite to a happy hour at ABCT that I will not be able to attend. I have 2 questions. 1) When I decline the invite should I provide any additional details? 2) I know they say that these events do not influence interview invites, but realistically am I hurting my chances by not being able to attend?

Thanks!
I don't think it'll really affect you negatively. I attended a bunch of these, got invites at some of the sites and not others. There was no reference to the happy hour events at interviews.

Based on the excel sheet, it looks like there were personalized emails sent out yesterday for the neuro, health, and PTSD-MH tracks.
Thanks. It somehow didn't occur to me to check the spreadsheet. I promise to do better.

@FreudoBaggins @The Nick I'm considering Utah for postdoc. Can you pls comment on the sociopolitical atmosphere in Salt Lake City? Is it more open-minded/progressive relative to the rest of Utah (as I've heard)?

(sorry for hijacking the thread) :)

Hi folks! Just wanted to jump on to say good luck to everyone going through the fever dream that is internship cycle this year!

If anyone is still rounding out their site lists, I would LOVE to recommend the University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler! It's an integrated health program BUT is a very "tailor your experience program". Interns can choose an emphasis in integrated care, clinical child, neuro ( prior experience required), or adult psychotherapy. Compared to other folks, my internship experience has been unbelievable in terms of autonomy and support from supervisors and I highly recommend!

Apps have been extended to next Monday I believe and feel free to reach out to me for any questions! :)

I don’t think invites have gone out for PCMHI yet, though!

@FreudoBaggins @The Nick I'm considering Utah for postdoc. Can you pls comment on the sociopolitical atmosphere in Salt Lake City? Is it more open-minded/progressive relative to the rest of Utah (as I've heard)?

Yeah of course. Salt Lake City is definitely the most progressive leaning area in the state. Given the fact that it's become a destination for young tech and California transplants, the politics have come along with it. However, outside SLC there is a strong conservative presence which is very apparent in the LDS community. The church pervades the culture here which is very unique to me but I've enjoyed learning about it and the people are also very nice.

• Love

In my opinion, yes. I lived there for 8 years prior to graduate school; very progressive, lots of things to do in Salt Lake itself. But @FreudoBaggins is correct; Salt Lake is like a progressive bubble within a pretty conservative state which is driven in large part by the LDS church.

• Love

I currently live in salt lake and agree with what has already been said. I want to add that given how conservative the state is, it has pretty strict liquor laws in comparison to most states. This is pretty specific but I guess my point is that despite being significantly more progressive than the rest of the state, the city is still somewhat impacted by the state’s more broad conservative legislation.

Best of luck to you all!
I know there are multiple sites here. I have two children. Are there better site locations for families?

Those of you that heard from WVU School of Med. Was it a mass emai?
Thanks!
Hi! I got an invite, and it wasn't a personalized email with my name or anything, but it did include what track I was invited to interview for. I know another student got an invite for a different track around the same time as me.

From looking at the previous years threads and Google Doc, seems like today is usually when Rush sends out their invites. Anyone received one yet?

Hi! I got an invite, and it wasn't a personalized email with my name or anything, but it did include what track I was invited to interview for. I know another student got an invite for a different track around the same time as me.
Is this WVU- Morgantown or Charleston?