2023-2024 APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know there are multiple sites here. I have two children. Are there better site locations for families?
Hey there. Yes there are St. George locations at Southwest Behavioral Health and Utah Tech. Also there are rotations at Valley Behavioral health which is in SLC (West Valley).

Members don't see this ad :)
I currently live in salt lake and agree with what has already been said. I want to add that given how conservative the state is, it has pretty strict liquor laws in comparison to most states. This is pretty specific but I guess my point is that despite being significantly more progressive than the rest of the state, the city is still somewhat impacted by the state’s more broad conservative legislation.
Yeah that's a great point. My partner and I aren't big drinkers at all but are still surprised when we go to restaurants and some don't serve alcohol at all - just soda :rofl:

Official Site Name: New York University-Bellevue Hospital
Speciality Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Adult Psychology Track
Date Invitation Received: Monday 11/14 9:24am
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): Email
Interview Dates Offered: Tuesday 12/13 9a-1p

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah that's a great point. My partner and I aren't big drinkers at all but are still surprised when we go to restaurants and some don't serve alcohol at all - just soda :rofl:

I'd have a hard time living in a state that continues to re-elect someone like Mike Lee, personally :)

I'd have a hard time living in a state that continues to re-elect someone like Mike Lee, personally :)

There are plenty of bad politicians to go around. Many otherwise nice places to live are plagued by them.

Reactions: 1 users
There is bad, and then there is downright terrible. Lee is something particularly special on the terrible continuum.

I’ll give you that. I’m in Arizona hoping we don’t elect a likewise terrible one for governor.

Did anyone who applied to the Phoenix VA's PCMHI track ever hear back for an interview or gotten a rejection? They said interview invites will go out 11/8 and 11/9 but I never heard from them.

I received the rejection from Kaiser Oakland today at 9:54am PT. However, their deadline of application was yesterday 11/13 at midnight, although I submitted my application on 10/29. It looks like they might just screen me out after applying some screening criteria to all applications, although they said " we have completed an initial interview of all applications for the 2023/24 training year" in the email that they sent me. Anyone has any input to the reason why the site sends you rejection email so early? Thx

Last edited:
Did anyone who applied to the Phoenix VA's PCMHI track ever hear back for an interview or gotten a rejection? They said interview invites will go out 11/8 and 11/9 but I never heard from them.
I haven’t heard anything!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone heard anything from the Clinical Health Psychology Track at the University of Florida Health Science Center or the Health Psychology Track at the University of Alabama-Birmingham Psychiatry?

Anyone heard anything from the Clinical Health Psychology Track at the University of Florida Health Science Center or the Health Psychology Track at the University of Alabama-Birmingham Psychiatry?
I applied to a different track at UF Health science center and didn't hear anything, and another student in my cohort applied for the health track at UF and didn't hear anything.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard from the clinical child track at Cincinnati Children's?

I applied to a different track at UF Health science center and didn't hear anything, and another student in my cohort applied for the health track at UF and didn't hear anything.
Thanks! Hopefully for all of us they haven't gone out yet.

Attachments

• KARI LAKE.JPG
    KARI LAKE.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 62
Yeah, I saw that. Seems that no one has heard from the Child track yet, though. Thanks
Looking at the google doc, it seems like they typically go out on the same day. Only the neuro track gets interview invitations on a different day, though they could have changed things up this year. As long as you didn't receive a rejection it's still a possibility.

Looking at the google doc, it seems like they typically go out on the same day. Only the neuro track gets interview invitations on a different day, though they could have changed things up this year. As long as you didn't receive a rejection it's still a possibility.
Looks like they went out at different times in 2020. Seems they switch it up sometimes. Haven't received a rejection yet :) Thanks!

Does anyone have a sense of when most email notifications will be sent? This waiting is awful! :arghh::arghh:

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have a sense of when most email notifications will be sent? This waiting is awful! :arghh::arghh:
It's super variable by site. If you use the last year's excel sheet, you can go look for your programs and when they sent out invites last year! That seems to be pretty reliable. Definitely not a fun time in this very anxious waiting period. You got this!!

Reactions: 3 users
I received the rejection from Kaiser Oakland today at 9:54am PT. However, their deadline of application was yesterday 11/13 at midnight, although I submitted my application on 10/29. It looks like they might just screen me out after applying some screening criteria to all applications, although they said " we have completed an initial interview of all applications for the 2023/24 training year" in the email that they sent me. Anyone has any input to the reason why the site sends you rejection email so early? Thx
I would guess it's a numbers versus time thing. If a site has 5 spots and historically doing 30 interviews with their top candidates will match these spots in Phase 1, they may have an internal cutoff regarding how many applications they want to review to make these 30 interview offers.

If they have 50 applications, every one might be reviewed but if they get 100 applications, they might knock off a bunch from the start based on things like hours, program, or even degree types. Some of this might be disclosed upfront (e.g., hours cutoffs, programs that don't accept counseling psych applicants) but often it's not. Or will vary based on actual applications reviewed.

On a different note, I interviewed at another Kaiser facility a few years ago. I flew across the country for a 30 min interview with a single psychologist (who was clearly reading my app for the first time during the interview) and then got an unenthused 20 min tour with 2 current interns of a generic outpatient building. Compared to sites that build full days filled with multiple interviews and thoughtful panels, I wouldn't be surprised if Kaiser is doing the bare minimum given the likely high demands their training staff face in other areas, which might include reviewing as few applications as possible.

Good luck with your other applications!

Reactions: 1 users
Question-- can I submit an application before my letters of rec are in? Second question, all three of my letter writers clicked to "reuse" their letter. I added a few more sites to my list last minute (approved by my advisor who is also my training director and one of my letter writers) and up until tonight I was able to click "request" and it automatically uploaded their letter and marked it "received". Well I went to upload my materials for an app that is due tomorrow and when I clicked to add the letters, only one of the 3 say "completed" and the other two say "requested" so I'm very confused.

The Match News email yesterday said we can contact a site after their given notification day to check the status of our application....anyone who hasn't heard back from Phoenix VA considering doing that?

Question-- can I submit an application before my letters of rec are in? Second question, all three of my letter writers clicked to "reuse" their letter. I added a few more sites to my list last minute (approved by my advisor who is also my training director and one of my letter writers) and up until tonight I was able to click "request" and it automatically uploaded their letter and marked it "received". Well I went to upload my materials for an app that is due tomorrow and when I clicked to add the letters, only one of the 3 say "completed" and the other two say "requested" so I'm very confused.

Yes, you can submit regardless of the status of your letters. I did this for some last minute sites and it turned out fine!

I can’t speak to the second issue. It could take time to refresh/show as received?

I received an email this morning from a site that my application is missing my letters of rec, even though all 3 were submitted well ahead of the deadline and I even submitted my applications early. My application even shows that they are submitted/completed. The site is letting my letter writers email the letters to them directly but now Im really worried that other sites are having the same issue and my application will be thrown out for being incomplete. I called the aapi help line and they said it's not an issue with any other site as far as they can tell. is anyone else experiencing this issue??

I received an email this morning from a site that my application is missing my letters of rec, even though all 3 were submitted well ahead of the deadline and I even submitted my applications early. My application even shows that they are submitted/completed. The site is letting my letter writers email the letters to them directly but now Im really worried that other sites are having the same issue and my application will be thrown out for being incomplete. I called the aapi help line and they said it's not an issue with any other site as far as they can tell. is anyone else experiencing this issue??
I haven't experienced this, but this is fairly good rationale to email whomever is the designated contact person for each of your sites in their brochures or on their websites. Let them know what you've stated here, that one other site had this issue and you contacted AAPI, but you just wanted to confirm that they received the recommendations.

The Match News email yesterday said we can contact a site after their given notification day to check the status of our application....anyone who hasn't heard back from Phoenix VA considering doing that?
I'm considering doing it after thanksgiving

This happened to someone last year! I remember reading it in the other thread. I agree with @psych.meout that you could definitely email your other sites just to give them a heads up about this issue and if they have had a similar problem that you can have your letter writers email them directly.

Well, the rejection letter for the Phoenix VA arrived today.
The rejections suck, but they're balanced out by the invites and the ones still in the hopper. One way to look at it is that all you have is the brochure to go on. Sure, it might seem like a great fit for many reasons, but they know themselves and their site very well and maybe they realize it wouldn't be a good fit for either of you.

Or at least that's what I tell myself.

Being on the other side, I agree with @psych.meout that there’s a balance. I got several rejections before I got my 1st interview and then I ended up with way more interviews than rejections. Things work out with the best fits being your strongest interviews. It’s stressful, but embrace the process. You’ve worked hard to get to this point, and hopefully you end up where you best fit, even if it isn’t your first choice 😉. That’s what happened for me, at least.

Is anyone else not able to update the spreadsheet with interview info? I can't even click into any of the boxes - can just see what everyone has already put in...

Is anyone else not able to update the spreadsheet with interview info? I can't even click into any of the boxes - can just see what everyone has already put in...
When there's too many people on the spreadsheet at once, some of the features (like editing) are disabled because of "heavy traffic"

Received rejection from Emory School of Medicine Neuropsychology Track

I received an interview invitation with only a couple of dates for interviews and in my rush to respond since I am only available on one of the dates, I made both a typo and showed that I obviously copy and pasted using a template email due to formatting differences in text...how bad does that look? Are they paying attention to things like this? Of course I am now obsessing over already starting with a bad impression...

Received an email from Dartmouth-Hitchcock (Peds Neuro) that interview decisions are delayed due to an outbreak of illness among faculty. Invites will be sent 11/25.

• Wow
I received an interview invitation with only a couple of dates for interviews and in my rush to respond since I am only available on one of the dates, I made both a typo and showed that I obviously copy and pasted using a template email due to formatting differences in text...how bad does that look? Are they paying attention to things like this? Of course I am now obsessing over already starting with a bad impression...
I wouldn't sweat small details like this. I help review applications at my site but this is just a tiny portion of my day to day duties and quite frankly, there's a chance that I might not even notice if I were on the receiving end. Or even if I do, I have bigger fish to fry than catalog typos or formatting choices.

I wouldn't sweat small details like this. I help review applications at my site but this is just a tiny portion of my day to day duties and quite frankly, there's a chance that I might not even notice if I were on the receiving end. Or even if I do, I have bigger fish to fry than catalog typos or formatting choices.

Thank you so much for that! Such a stressful process and of course it’s hard to even think of quick, minor mistakes hurting your chances after agonizing over the application materials. Thanks again!