2023-2024 APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I truly hate this process.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Eh, not as bad as I thought it would be. And talking to current and former supervisors who review apps and interview applicants made it less daunting and aversive.

Reactions: 1 user

Eh, not as bad as I thought it would be. And talking to current and former supervisors who review apps and interview applicants made it less daunting and aversive.

I feel like how we feel about the process probably also waxes and wanes depending on what has happened recently in terms of still anxiously waiting to hear anything, getting a string of rejections, already had a few invitations etc. But, in the end, this too shall pass and we'll all make it through!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I noticed that a site sent me the invitation in the afternoon while some others reported receiving the invitations in the morning. Does it mean that I was their second choice or something? Or the time when they sent out the invitations does not indicate their preference? Thank you!

Hi! I noticed that a site sent me the invitation in the afternoon while some others reported receiving the invitations in the morning. Does it mean that I was their second choice or something? Or the time when they sent out the invitations does not indicate their preference? Thank you!
It could mean so many things- they split up the pile and different people emailed at different times, they took a lunch break, went to the bathroom, etc. If you got an interview, I wouldn't think past that tbh, but congrats and I get it!

Reactions: 3 users
It could mean so many things- they split up the pile and different people emailed at different times, they took a lunch break, went to the bathroom, etc. If you got an interview, I wouldn't think past that tbh, but congrats and I get it!
Thank you for the input and the comforting words! Another anxious week waiting for notifications. I hope everyone hangs in there and gets great news!

Hello all! Would anyone who also received an interview on the child/pediatric track at Indiana University School of Medicine in Indianapolis, IN be able to swap interview dates with me? My current interview date is January 6th. However, due to a scheduling conflict, I am trying to switch to EITHER of the other dates offered by the site (i.e. January 11th OR January 17th). If you would be able to, please let me know (I have also posted an inquiry in the Excel sheet)! I would be forever grateful! :)

Hi everyone! I have a quick question. If I did not receive a mass email interview invite to a site, should I assume that I'm rejected?

Hi everyone! I have a quick question. If I did not receive a mass email interview invite to a site, should I assume that I'm rejected?
Most likely if they sent a single BCC email. It’s possible there could be a short waitlist if people turn down invites but I’d probably pencil in this site as a reject.

Some sites will reach out later with a formal rejection once they have confirmed their interview attendees but there were many sites that I never heard anything from when I applied. Good luck!

I saw Duke reached out about most of their tracks but I noticed no one has posted an invite for the Child autism track. Has anyone who applied to that track heard back?

I noticed one of the sites I applied to show invitations and rejections on the spreadsheet today but I have not heard either way? Should I assume rejection?

Official Site Name: NYU-Bellevue Clinical Psychology Internship Program
Speciality Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Forensic Track
Date Invitation Received: 11/11/22
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): Email
Interview Dates Offered: 12/16/22

That's two sites (out of 15) I have heard back from now. I'd wager next week, after Thanksgiving, the rush will come. Has anyone heard back from several sites at this point?

Last edited:

That's two sites (out of 15) I have heard back from now. I'd wager next week, after Thanksgiving, the rush will come. Has anyone heard back from several sites at this point?
I applied to 19 sites, only 5 have sent out invitations and I have received 3 invites and 0 rejections

Members don't see this ad :)
I noticed one of the sites I applied to show invitations and rejections on the spreadsheet today but I have not heard either way? Should I assume rejection?
If this is a site that has explicitly said they will notify everybody (you'd be surprised how many sites will never send formal rejections), then it's possible there is accidental oversight (e.g., somebody was supposed to email you and they forgot or mistyped/copied your email address) or you might be on a short waitlist and they are waiting to confirm all interview acceptances before sending the final set of rejections.

I always think it's perfectly fine to reach out and ask for an update within a reasonable timeline, such as if a site has listed a notification deadline that has come and gone. Good luck!

People keep messing the google sheet up! There was a bunch of info about Children’s National that got deleted around 2pm EST and now one of my sites (Nicklaus Children’s) is just missing entirely from the sheet. Only edit the sheet to add info! Stop sorting it, don’t copy and paste from other sheets, and stop being dumb!

People keep messing the google sheet up! There was a bunch of info about Children’s National that got deleted around 2pm EST and now one of my sites (Nicklaus Children’s) is just missing entirely from the sheet. Only edit the sheet to add info! Stop sorting it, don’t copy and paste from other sheets, and stop being dumb!
Agreed. People keep unnecessarily editing the names of programs and resorting them for some weird reason. It's not helpful to be messing with that kind of stuff. They should only be adding or modifying their personal information from invitations and rejections.

Edit: Now there's also way too much other text in there, like asking if anyone has heard back from the site yet. It's muddying up the spreadsheet.

Has anyone applying to Federal BOP sites and received invitations to move on to the next step of the process heard more about USA Jobs approval? The application was due a week ago, I have no clue how long to expect before hearing if we're actually approved to schedule an interview.

Agreed. People keep unnecessarily editing the names of programs and resorting them for some weird reason. It's not helpful to be messing with that kind of stuff. They should only be adding or modifying their personal information from invitations and rejections.

Edit: Now there's also way too much other text in there, like asking if anyone has heard back from the site yet. It's muddying up the spreadsheet.
I think I realized one of these times I looked and it was sorted weird that people were sorting by the Invitation date/time - I guess just to more easily see which sites had already sent out invites without having to scroll through the whole list? It'd be nice if there was a way to just lock that particular feature in advance for future years, but hopefully people will get the point.

Official Site Name: Greystone Park Psychiatric Center
Speciality Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums):
Date Invitation Received: 11/23/22
Interview Dates Offered: "Interviews will be scheduled Monday through Thursday for two consecutive weeks, 12/5 through 12/8 and 12/12 through 12/15"

Allegheny general invite
Neuropsych
11.16am est
Phone call
Interview dates : 12.2 and 12.9

They said they sent emails out on 11.21 but something went wrong and students were not receiving the emails.

FWIW—I got an invite like 2 days later than what seemed like a majority of people and from my top site nonetheless. Turns out the supervisor reviewing my app did so for their pile later than the rest of the faculty. I ended up matching at the site so try not to think too much about it! Easier said than done I know

Has anyone applying to Federal BOP sites and received invitations to move on to the next step of the process heard more about USA Jobs approval? The application was due a week ago, I have no clue how long to expect before hearing if we're actually approved to schedule an interview.
I haven't heard back beyond the invitation to complete USAJobs, either. I remember reading that they will contact us in early December about interviews!

Does anyone have any recommended resources for example answers to interview questions, something like that? Ty!

Does anyone have any recommended resources for example answers to interview questions, something like that? Ty!

While examples can sometimes help, I'd usually recommend people avoid them. Rather, practice a couple times answering those questions. Some interviewees have the most generic, cookie cutter answers to some questions and it does nothing for your case. Knowing what types of questions there are, and how you can tell your own story through those is the way to go.

Official Site Name: Oregon State Hospital
Speciality Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums):
Date Invitation Received: 11/25/22
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): Mass email
Interview Dates Offered: “Available remote/virtual interviews dates are January 3rd, 5th, January 10th, and January 17th, 2023 from 8:00am to about 2:00pm (PST).”

Have anyone sent updated CV to the sites after the application deadline (Nov 1)? If so, what was your way to send the CV to them? Thank you!

Is there any benefit, especially in terms of later rankings, for doing interviews earlier or does it not matter at all?

Not sure if this has been said on here, but figured it was worth noting for students. If you live in a state that has a certain plant legalized for medicinal purposes (or recreational), and you yourself are recommended by a sketchy saul goodman like physician to take said plant for any of the ailments it is purported to help, stop that **** if you're planning on going VA or BOP. Like right now. Or at least a month (at a minimum) before you know you're going to have to do the federal pre-employment stuff. Can't imagine no worse fate than working all of those years with all the stress to then match at a federal site but have it all foiled.

Reactions: 13 users
Hey y'all, has anyone tried to submit an application recently and had any issues with adding their recommendations? I decided to add another site today (due tonight) and I went to add my recs like I did for all my other applications and only one of them shows as received while the other two say "requested." I was anticipating it just automatically adding the recs like it did in the past... anyone else experiencing this?

Just wanted to vent about a rejection e-mail. I really wanted to get an interview in one specific VA, I really think I am (like all of us) a very prepared student, but IDK why this site never calls anyone from my University/Program. That's normal? That a site never considers anyone from one program/university?

Applied to 18 sites, 6 interviews received, 7 of the sites have sent out invitations, 0 rejections.

Just wanted to vent about a rejection e-mail. I really wanted to get an interview in one specific VA, I really think I am (like all of us) a very prepared student, but IDK why this site never calls anyone from my University/Program. That's normal? That a site never considers anyone from one program/university?
Sorry to hear about this rejection.

Yes, some programs will have ‘feeder’ schools (good experiences with previous interns and possible connections with faculty who are viewed in a good light) to give a program added confidence that a typical student will be adequately prepared. On the flip side, some programs may not held in high regard.

Sometimes it’s a case of one really unprepared/unprofessional previous intern who is not actually reflective of the overall program but has muddied the waters. But I am also aware of one specific situation where both trainee and program actions make me really question what’s going on at that school. Or it may be a pattern where previous interns or even interviewees were consistently viewed as subpar (rightly or wrongly).

But overall, it might be more related to a site getting way more applications than they can reasonably review and despite doing some blanket rejections, they will likely still secure a good internship cohort. Similarly, there are some programs that outright say to not apply if you come from a Counseling Psych program, regardless of quality or types of accrued experiences.

My VA, which I think is seen as competitive and gets a healthy but not overwhelming amount of apps, does not have any ‘blacklisted’ programs or auto reject criteria. Nor have I seem this at 3 other VAs I’ve been at. Good luck with the rest of your apps and process.

Yes, this does happen. We had a blacklist of sorts for certain programs based on several criteria.

• Hmm
Hi all! Is anyone able to swap interview dates for Barrow Neurological Institute at Phoenix Children's Hospital? I was given January 11th for an interview but have a conflict, if anyone who was given January 5th or December 15th is able to swap, that would be greatly appreciated!

What's the deal with sites that have already sent out their mass email invites but no rejections? Specifically, I applied to VA Puget Sound Seattle and the invites went out almost a week ago but I haven't received a rejection yet. Are they still considering me or should I take it as a rejection? I just want to know so I don't have to keep the interview dates available for it and can use them for my remaining programs.

Sounds overtly discriminatory. You should look into some of the diversity, equity, and inclusion discussions around this.

Depends on where you stand and your experience. We filter out some of the diploma mills automatically. After that, we had some programs that have burned us with students in the past, wherein they had glowing recommendations, but the students lacked even fundamental skills. Considering the amount of applications that we received, it worked out well for us.

What's the deal with sites that have already sent out their mass email invites but no rejections? Specifically, I applied to VA Puget Sound Seattle and the invites went out almost a week ago but I haven't received a rejection yet. Are they still considering me or should I take it as a rejection? I just want to know so I don't have to keep the interview dates available for it and can use them for my remaining programs.
Sometimes sites are waiting for a certain amount of interview confirmations from applicants before sending out rejections in case they need to send out additional invites. Other times they just haven’t gotten around to sending rejections. In my experience, if a mass email went out that you did not receive it is most likely (but not always) a rejection. I wouldn’t go out of your way to reserve the dates if you’re in a bind.

Sorry to hear about this rejection.

Yes, some programs will have ‘feeder’ schools (good experiences with previous interns and possible connections with faculty who are viewed in a good light) to give a program added confidence that a typical student will be adequately prepared. On the flip side, some programs may not held in high regard.

Sometimes it’s a case of one really unprepared/unprofessional previous intern who is not actually reflective of the overall program but has muddied the waters. But I am also aware of one specific situation where both trainee and program actions make me really question what’s going on at that school. Or it may be a pattern where previous interns or even interviewees were consistently viewed as subpar (rightly or wrongly).

But overall, it might be more related to a site getting way more applications than they can reasonably review and despite doing some blanket rejections, they will likely still secure a good internship cohort. Similarly, there are some programs that outright say to not apply if you come from a Counseling Psych program, regardless of quality or types of accrued experiences.

My VA, which I think is seen as competitive and gets a healthy but not overwhelming amount of apps, does not have any ‘blacklisted’ programs or auto reject criteria. Nor have I seem this at 3 other VAs I’ve been at. Good luck with the rest of your apps and process.

I hear you. There was a specific VA that I felt I was especially qualified for, had received a student from our program in the last 3 years, and I was rejected. Didn't (still doesn't) make a lot of sense, so I hear you, too.

Additionally, our program has had several extremely qualified students apply to a certain Psychiatric Hospital in PA; our program has NEVER had a student invited for an interview in the last 5 - 6 years.

• Sad
Funny. Why not evaluate applicants on their individual merits, versus something like "prestige of the school"? Just an idea--people come from different backgrounds, with different access to opportunities, and for some motivated, bright, productive future clinicians, a "diploma mill" may have been the only option given socioeconomic pressures. But hey, you're probably 30 years into, why change now?
A diploma mill is never the only available option.

I have been added to the interview waitlist of Mount Sinai Beth Israel... I assume that is almost a rejection since I cannot imagine anyone would turn down the invitation from them. Also means that I am ranked low in their site T_T

I have been added to the interview waitlist of Mount Sinai Beth Israel... I assume that is almost a rejection since I cannot imagine anyone would turn down the invitation from them. Also means that I am ranked low in their site T_T

Most likely means that you are ranked in their 2nd tier, not low. Waitlist is usually people who are just outside of the interview invite cutoff number. Applicants who are not ranked well are generally sent a rejection outright.

Most likely means that you are ranked in their 2nd tier, not low. Waitlist is usually people who are just outside of the interview invite cutoff number. Applicants who are not ranked well are generally sent a rejection outright.
Thank you for the comforting words... Do people have experience regarding how likely they will receive an invitation if they are added to the waitlist? I guess for the competitive sites, the chance is pretty low...

Thank you for the comforting words... Do people have experience regarding how likely they will receive an invitation if they are added to the waitlist? I guess for the competitive sites, the chance is pretty low...

It varied quite a bit year by year for us. Though, that was pre-pandemic, so I'd have to imagine that the rate of declining interviews has decreased due to fewer travel dates being blocked off.

Have anyone sent updated CV to the sites after the application deadline (Nov 1)? If so, what was your way to send the CV to them? Thank you!
I have not done this but, I read somewhere that you email the training director directly.