229/83 step1 score how bad is this score??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ecfmg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I just got my step1 score and it was 229/ 83
but i don't understand the scoring system how bad is that for one looking for a surgery residency??
how much is that in %

Members don't see this ad.

Check the AAMC Careers in Medicine website regarding gen surg. As far as score.. its above the national average as I'm sure you alrdy know since you've read your score report. I'd say you can def do gen surgery with that score, but it won't be at harvard but whocares you'll do what you want.. given your a US MD graduate.

Check the AAMC Careers in Medicine website regarding gen surg. As far as score.. its above the national average as I'm sure you alrdy know since you've read your score report. I'd say you can def do gen surgery with that score, but it won't be at harvard but whocares you'll do what you want.. given your a US MD graduate.

Dude, his username is ecfmg. As in Educational Commission for Foreign Medigal Graduates.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a very similar question. I am a DO student who went 253/88. Since I am from a DO school however I have no idea what scores students match gen surg with at some of the more well known programs (I know what FA says the average is, but I know that there are good programs and bad programs, and it all averages out). I have heard MD gen surg is a good residency to pursue as a DO student. What are some of the mid-level programs that I should be looking into knowing that my DO degree will probably lower my chances at some of the top programs?

I have a very similar question. I am a DO student who went 253/88. Since I am from a DO school however I have no idea what scores students match gen surg with at some of the more well known programs (I know what FA says the average is, but I know that there are good programs and bad programs, and it all averages out). I have heard MD gen surg is a good residency to pursue as a DO student. What are some of the mid-level programs that I should be looking into knowing that my DO degree will probably lower my chances at some of the top programs?

Same answer as above - look at the NRMP Charting Outcomes report.

You still have <50% shot with your USMLE score as a DO.

Same answer as above - look at the NRMP Charting Outcomes report.

You still have <50% shot with your USMLE score as a DO.

The NRMP Matching Outcomes does not separate FMGs and DOs and lumps them both together as independent applicants. Since there are so much more FMGs than DOs applying for residency, it is impossible to extrapolate what the Charting Outcomes means for DO applicants.

My feeling is that you have a great shot with that score, MD or DO regardless.

See...this is the exact arguement I have had with myself looking at stats. Playing with the numbers of board scores alone, there are a number of east coast programs (most you have never heard of) that have average board scores of <220. I know I would be competitive at places like these with my score, but is it better to take a risk and aim high or to play it safe? To be completely honest I'll probably want to do something different next week, as always, but I do appreciate the responses!

See...this is the exact arguement I have had with myself looking at stats. Playing with the numbers of board scores alone, there are a number of east coast programs (most you have never heard of) that have average board scores of <220. I know I would be competitive at places like these with my score, but is it better to take a risk and aim high or to play it safe? To be completely honest I'll probably want to do something different next week, as always, but I do appreciate the responses!

You should apply to every program you can afford.

Last year was even more competitive for general surgery than 2011, so those results from Charting Outcomes are probably overly optimistic.

As a DO, you may have a slightly better chance than a typical independent applicant, but I don't know any official stats proving that.

Apply to as many programs as you can.

To put it in another context, of the independent applicants who ranked >=10 programs, 21 did not match vs 50 who did.

That includes 6 of 14 not matching who had >15 interviews.

Those kinds of stats would scare the crap out of me if I were in your shoes.

I would probably apply to 100 programs and aim to go on 20 interviews (at least).

No, he doesn't.

Look at the NRMP data.

Wow you are really discouraging. I bet your the type that misses an easy diagnosis because the book didn't say so. I get your just looking at the numbers but I can say with confidence that a DO student is not equivalent to ALL the IMG's out there. I talked to a program director at a reputable upper/ mid level ACGME ENT program in the northeast they told me my score of 248 was great and It should not put me out of the running even for that speciality in his program. I told him I was a DO student and he told me it doesn't matter as I took the same exam as all the US MD students. Now I know it's not the exact same but I'm confident I'm a step above the 16000 IMG'S out there ( My rotations are at the same hospitals as many MD students.). I know there are some programs out there that are obviously out of my reach but all the mid to upper mid level programs are very well within my reach. Good luck to everyone and I hope you all get what you want ( unless I'm applying to the same program :D)

Wow you are really discouraging. I bet your the type that misses an easy diagnosis because the book didn't say so. I get your just looking at the numbers but I can say with confidence that a DO student is not equivalent to ALL the IMG's out there. I talked to a program director at a reputable upper/ mid level ACGME ENT program in the northeast they told me my score of 248 was great and It should not put me out of the running even for that speciality in his program. I told him I was a DO student and he told me it doesn't matter as I took the same exam as all the US MD students. Now I know it's not the exact same but I'm confident I'm a step above the 16000 IMG'S out there ( My rotations are at the same hospitals as many MD students.). I know there are some programs out there that are obviously out of my reach but all the mid to upper mid level programs are very well within my reach. Good luck to everyone and I hope you all get what you want ( unless I'm applying to the same program :D)

I did not say he has no shot.

I said he does not have a "great shot".

He should apply to many programs, including programs an MD with a 251 would never consider.

Ignoring statistics is how you confuse a horse for a zebra, if you want to stick with your dx analogy.

Also: your != you're.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not say he has no shot.

I said he does not have a "great shot".

He should apply to many programs, including programs an MD with a 251 would never consider.

Ignoring statistics is how you confuse a horse for a zebra, if you want to stick with your dx analogy.

Also: your != you're.

The problem is you're basing your opinion on NRMP statistics who do not separate DOs from IMGs. The 24 that matched could have all been DOs while the 50 that didn't match could have all been IMGs. Or the other way around. There is no way to tell from the Charting Outcomes.

The problem is you're basing your opinion on NRMP statistics who do not separate DOs from IMGs. The 24 that matched could have all been DOs while the 50 that didn't match could have all been IMGs. Or the other way around. There is no way to tell from the Charting Outcomes.

I don't know the total number of DO students who applied to ACGME general surgery spots last year, but I would have to assume it was much greater than the 36 who actually matched.

Overall, around 1000 independent applicants entered the NRMP, and ~60 US IMGs, ~60 other IMGs, and ~80 US MD grads matched.

What the success rate of each group is we can't tell without an additional stat, but I would be shocked if less than 100 of those 1000 independents were DOs.

For whatever reasons, general surgery is incredibly unfriendly to DO grads. For most other specialties I'd consider the DO handicap to be around -20 on Step 1, but for general surgery it's probably closer to -30-40.

I don't know the total number of DO students who applied to ACGME general surgery spots last year, but I would have to assume it was much greater than the 36 who actually matched.

Overall, around 1000 independent applicants entered the NRMP, and ~60 US IMGs, ~60 other IMGs, and ~80 US MD grads matched.

What the success rate of each group is we can't tell without an additional stat, but I would be shocked if less than 100 of those 1000 independents were DOs.

For whatever reasons, general surgery is incredibly unfriendly to DO grads. For most other specialties I'd consider the DO handicap to be around -20 on Step 1, but for general surgery it's probably closer to -30-40.

So a program director would rather take a 210 md student then a 240-250 DO student? Sorry I just don't believe this. I'd love to know where your getting this info. :laugh:

So a program director would rather take a 210 md student then a 240-250 DO student? Sorry I just don't believe this. I'd love to know where your getting this info. :laugh:

Observations of the few DOs I saw on the interview trail.

Looking at the stats for surgery, that sounds about right.

Believe whatever you want though.

dont listen to statistics, and apply broad and wide. consider applying for prelimn surgery programs also.

dont listen to statistics, and apply broad and wide. consider applying for prelimn surgery programs also.

Before I read your post I thought for sure you were gonna tell him that Kaplan ME would help him land a baller residency :laugh:

This is the stupidest post I've read on here so far this year. Congratulations, you live up to your nickname/avatar quite well.

I love how your logic works. You say "I don't know how many exact number of DOs entered the match ergo, their success rate" and then go on to say "you don't have a great shot at matching even with a 250...give yourself a 40 points handicap since, ya know, DOs are second-class citizens and have to drink from a different water fountain".

Sometimes I can't sleep at night peacefully knowing there are guys like this poster who will be practicing medicine few short years from now.

The "DO handicap" ?

I resent that remark.

How on earth could you ever formulate an actual number to subtract from a DO's board score?

The fact is that we have no idea how many DO's participated in the match for gen surg last year. I would be surprised if it was much more than 36 considering how big of a risk it is for applicants to skip the DO match in a field like surgery.