26 April 2017 Step 2 CS results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cocksuckievirus

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so I've been trying to find threads with guys who took their step 2 cs between January 29 through March 26 and keep track of result readiness, but I couldn't. Today (26 April) is the first day of reporting period, so I decided to start that. Has anyone recieved the results yet? I've also noticed that my permit disappeared, so does it mean that my results are coming up today?

Members don't see this ad.

I really need some advice! I did so many mistakes and I'm so scared. I remember a new mistake everyday and just start getting depressed all over again. Can someone please give me some feedback? Without sharing what I shouldn't here is what I did wrong

1) first case ended before I finished closure and before I could ask if pt had any questions I was just starting to say what I think the diagnosis is and pt didn't look so happy before I left. Pt note I think was ok for that one and differential was ok too

2) ok but I think I was confused about my DDx and which to put as primary

3)good

4) forgot to counsel but closed and primary differential was ok but secondary and tertiary idk honestly.
now here is what I'm scared of on this one and please don't ask me why I decided to be dumb and imagine that this patient had a heart murmur so I included that in my PE in pt note!!! What was I thinking??? He probably didn't even have a murmur

5)forgot a very important PE and probably had the wrong order for DDx..
And did neuro exam but forgot if I did sensation but included it in my note!!

6) weirdest case ever. Also maybe wrong order for DDx and i reported X lbs weight loss in my note even though I could not for the life of me remember the exact number of lbs but was almost sure it was X so I hope they don't take that as lying if it wasn't that!!!!

7) forgot to counsel about something

8) THIS one I'm really scared of because I put the wrong physical exam finding next to my primary diagnosis. so basically that finding was NOT for that diagnosis it actually would be positive for another diagnosis (MY SECOND ONE) for example it would be like Murphys positive for pancreatitis(primary) and cholecystitis was my second. It was by mistake!!!!! what is that going to cost me?! Also pt looked unhappy

9) Missed a very clear DDx. And didn't have time to ask pt if she had any questions

10) put a symptom as my primary diagnosis like anxiety for example and my secondary DDx was something COMPLETELY off

11) good

12) did not completely counsel and when my time was up I practically yelled out to pt to avoid doing something and left, no nice to meet you no thank yous. What's wrong with me.

Other things I forgot : I forgot the foot rest or leg rest on ALL abdominal exam patients. No ones feet were hanging so I didn't even notice. Am I going to fail because of this?
Forgot some pretty important PE in 3 cases.
Probably messed up DDx in 4 cases
Didn't counsel in 2 cases
Exposed anterior chest for female pt up to epigastrum so I can check for PMI(cardiac)
Pts had drapes on their laps when I walked in , was I supposed to do something else with that?
Was cut off at the end of my closure in about 3 cases.

I'm really worried about my DDx guys. I put things like symptom for one of the primary so not a clear diagnosis and a diagnosis that is completely off for pediatrics. And things like putting the most likely diagnosis as third DDx in one case and finally realizing it should be first but too late. Some stupid stuf like X-ray of lumbar back instead of lumbar spine. I'm so scared and worried what do you guys think about this please help I haven't been able to sleep. I keep dreaming of that foot rest, none of the physicians I rotated with do that so I made sure to tell myself remember foot rest! But nope.

Things I did
Introduced myself shook hands was very friendly helped with gown,comforted pt, summarized in all, answered challenging questions, wore gloves in all, pt notes were ok other than dumb mistakes above, especially the part where I put a completely off physical finding for one primary diagnosis, I feel like I'm going to sound like an idiot to many physicians looking at my pt notes because of the words I used for DDx and some weird things like wrong positive test for a diagnosis.
Sorry it's a long post!! Please any advice or input would really help me.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think anyone is fully confident that they passed since we have no idea what we actually need to do in order to pass. We'll find out soon hopefully. Odds are in your favor so hopefully you can take comfort in that! I think we all made mistakes but still lots of people post about grievous errors and still pass comfortably

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if grading 10/12 cases means they drop your worst 2 or if there are 2 pre-set experimental cases that won't be scored no matter what?

Does anyone know if grading 10/12 cases means they drop your worst 2 or if there are 2 pre-set experimental cases that won't be scored no matter what?

Some people told me it's your worst two, others have said mostly experimental. The people that said it's your worst 2 > people that said it's experimental. Hey can you also please delete the quote up there I changed some things in my post just to be safe . Thanks!

can you please read my mistakes after you get your scores and let me know what you think please :( good luck

Some people told me it's your worst two, others have said mostly experimental. The people that said it's your worst 2 > people that said it's experimental. Hey can you also please delete the quote up there I changed some things in my post just to be safe . Thanks!

can you please read my mistakes after you get your scores and let me know what you think please :( good luck

Just Relax, no point in suffering twice.

Just deleted it.

OK, so I've been trying to find threads with guys who took their step 2 cs between January 29 through March 26 and keep track of result readiness, but I couldn't. Today (26 April) is the first day of reporting period, so I decided to start that. Has anyone recieved the results yet? I've also noticed that my permit disappeared, so does it mean that my results are coming up today?
did you get your score yet ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an email that my score report will be available by 11AM EST. Took test March 23 Atlanta, almost the very end of the cycle

Passed.
In case this helps those who are anxious: I studied for 1.5 days (yes, one and a half, not 15), read through first aid once and then re-read some of the highlights the night before. Didn't practice my PE on anyone. Didn't use any other resources. Definitely messed up on a couple of the #1 DDx, did not do very thorough physical exams (just focused on the CC and did heart/lungs on everyone), did not "count to three" with my auscultations. I did not run out of time on any patient encounter, but used just about all 15 minutes to make sure that I counseled and answered "their question." I did not memorize all the questions to ask for each CC, I just acted how I normally act in FM clinic, maybe a tiny bit more thorough. I think people get messed up when they take First Aid too seriously- if you do every single PE maneuver and ask every single question they tell you to ask in the history, and do a full ROS (I never did a full ROS), YOU WILL RUN OUT OF TIME and that will make it more likely to fail. Just treat each patient like a real patient, not like a computer, even though they do have checkboxes. And most of all, the percentage of people that fail on SDN is way higher than the general population (2%). Hundreds of people take this test every day and only 2% fail, so the odds are always in your favor. I let SDN make me freak out, but don't make my same mistake :)
I did not have anything even close borderline on my report.

Best of luck to all!

C
Passed.
In case this helps those who are anxious: I studied for 1.5 days, read through first aid once and then re-read some of the highlights the night before. Didn't practice my PE on anyone. Didn't use any other resources. Definitely messed up on a couple of the #1 DDx, did not do very thorough physical exams (just focused on the CC and did heart/lungs on everyone), did not "count to three" with my auscultations. I did not run out of time on any patient encounter, but used just about all 15 minutes to make sure that I counseled and answered "their question." I did not memorize all the questions to ask for each CC, I just acted how I normally act in FM clinic, maybe a tiny bit more thorough. I think people get messed up when they take First Aid too seriously- if you do every single PE maneuver and ask every single question they tell you to ask in the history, and do a full ROS (I never did a full ROS), YOU WILL RUN OUT OF TIME and that will make it more likely to fail. Just treat each patient like a real patient, not like a computer, even though they do have checkboxes. And most of all, the percentage of people that fail on SDN is way higher than the general population (2%). Hundreds of people take this test every day and only 2% fail, so the odds are always in your favor. I let SDN make me freak out, but don't make my same mistake :)

Best of luck to all!
Congratulations!

Reactions: 1 user
Passed.
In case this helps those who are anxious: I studied for 1.5 days (yes, one and a half, not 15), read through first aid once and then re-read some of the highlights the night before. Didn't practice my PE on anyone. Didn't use any other resources. Definitely messed up on a couple of the #1 DDx, did not do very thorough physical exams (just focused on the CC and did heart/lungs on everyone), did not "count to three" with my auscultations. I did not run out of time on any patient encounter, but used just about all 15 minutes to make sure that I counseled and answered "their question." I did not memorize all the questions to ask for each CC, I just acted how I normally act in FM clinic, maybe a tiny bit more thorough. I think people get messed up when they take First Aid too seriously- if you do every single PE maneuver and ask every single question they tell you to ask in the history, and do a full ROS (I never did a full ROS), YOU WILL RUN OUT OF TIME and that will make it more likely to fail. Just treat each patient like a real patient, not like a computer, even though they do have checkboxes. And most of all, the percentage of people that fail on SDN is way higher than the general population (2%). Hundreds of people take this test every day and only 2% fail, so the odds are always in your favor. I let SDN make me freak out, but don't make my same mistake :)

Best of luck to all!

Congratulations!
i still didn't get mine, you think it will come out later today ?

Congratulations guys!! I hope I get the same outcome :( can you please please please look at my mistakes and tell me what you think .. thank you so much I really need the help!

I really need some advice! I did so many mistakes and I'm so scared. I remember a new mistake everyday and just start getting depressed all over again. Can someone please give me some feedback? Without sharing what I shouldn't here is what I did wrong

1) first case ended before I finished closure and before I could ask if pt had any questions I was just starting to say what I think the diagnosis is and pt didn't look so happy before I left. Pt note I think was ok for that one and differential was ok too

2) ok but I think I was confused about my DDx and which to put as primary

3)good

4) forgot to counsel but closed and primary differential was ok but secondary and tertiary idk honestly.
now here is what I'm scared of on this one and please don't ask me why I decided to be dumb and imagine that this patient had a heart murmur so I included that in my PE in pt note!!! What was I thinking??? He probably didn't even have a murmur

5)forgot a very important PE and probably had the wrong order for DDx..
And did neuro exam but forgot if I did sensation but included it in my note!!

6) weirdest case ever. Also maybe wrong order for DDx and i reported X lbs weight loss in my note even though I could not for the life of me remember the exact number of lbs but was almost sure it was X so I hope they don't take that as lying if it wasn't that!!!!

7) forgot to counsel about something

8) THIS one I'm really scared of because I put the wrong physical exam finding next to my primary diagnosis. so basically that finding was NOT for that diagnosis it actually would be positive for another diagnosis (MY SECOND ONE) for example it would be like Murphys positive for pancreatitis(primary) and cholecystitis was my second. It was by mistake!!!!! what is that going to cost me?! Also pt looked unhappy

9) Missed a very clear DDx. And didn't have time to ask pt if she had any questions

10) put a symptom as my primary diagnosis like anxiety for example and my secondary DDx was something COMPLETELY off

11) good

12) did not completely counsel and when my time was up I practically yelled out to pt to avoid doing something and left, no nice to meet you no thank yous. What's wrong with me.

Other things I forgot : I forgot the foot rest or leg rest on ALL abdominal exam patients. No ones feet were hanging so I didn't even notice. Am I going to fail because of this?
Forgot some pretty important PE in 3 cases.
Probably messed up DDx in 4 cases
Didn't counsel in 2 cases
Exposed anterior chest for female pt up to epigastrum so I can check for PMI(cardiac)
Pts had drapes on their laps when I walked in , was I supposed to do something else with that?
Was cut off at the end of my closure in about 3 cases.

I'm really worried about my DDx guys. I put things like symptom for one of the primary so not a clear diagnosis and a diagnosis that is completely off for pediatrics. And things like putting the most likely diagnosis as third DDx in one case and finally realizing it should be first but too late. Some stupid stuf like X-ray of lumbar back instead of lumbar spine. I'm so scared and worried what do you guys think about this please help I haven't been able to sleep. I keep dreaming of that foot rest, none of the physicians I rotated with do that so I made sure to tell myself remember foot rest! But nope.

Things I did
Introduced myself shook hands was very friendly helped with gown,comforted pt, summarized in all, answered challenging questions, wore gloves in all, pt notes were ok other than dumb mistakes above, especially the part where I put a completely off physical finding for one primary diagnosis, I feel like I'm going to sound like an idiot to many physicians looking at my pt notes because of the words I used for DDx and some weird things like wrong positive test for a diagnosis.
Sorry it's a long post!! Please any advice or input would really help me.

Hey so most people end up passing despite plenty of mistakes.

I would be worried about making up findings because that is a big no-no on the exam. If your patient had a murmur it's fine but if not, you reported something that wasn't there.

You definitely should have pulled out the leg rest if you were doing an abdominal exam. I don't understand why you'd miss that repeatedly.

We tend to magnify our mistakes and present our worst performance when seeking opinion, the only people who can pass judgement are the SPs and the physicians reading your patient note. Most people I know failed due to the ICE, which reflects in a bad PE and lack in fund of knowledge for the ddx and supporting evidence. I can't give you false reassurance and say you passed but statistics are on your side. Stop focusing your mind on one thing and find something productive like studying for Step 3. Don't let this be a mental block preventing you from doing other things and putting your life on hold because you will regret it in the future.

Hey so most people end up passing despite plenty of mistakes.

I would be worried about making up findings because that is a big no-no on the exam. If your patient had a murmur it's fine but if not, you reported something that wasn't there.

You definitely should have pulled out the leg rest if you were doing an abdominal exam. I don't understand why you'd miss that repeatedly.

We tend to magnify our mistakes and present our worst performance when seeking opinion, the only people who can pass judgement are the SPs and the physicians reading your patient note. Most people I know failed due to the ICE, which reflects in a bad PE and lack in fund of knowledge for the ddx and supporting evidence. I can't give you false reassurance and say you passed but statistics are on your side. Stop focusing your mind on one thing and find something productive like studying for Step 3. Don't let this be a mental block preventing you from doing other things and putting your life on hold because you will regret it in the future.

Thank you so much for replying I appreciate it so much! Yes I don't know why I didnt pull out the leg rest either i was so mad at myself. I guess when I practiced it wasn't on a pt bed or anything where I can practice that and it slipped my mind. Could that cost me CIS?

For the pt note I honestly was not trying to make anything up! I really thought I heard a murmur but I wish I didn't mention anything I really do.. and other crap in my PN that I wish I left out as well because when you're nervous you just don't know what to do and the dumb in you comes out.. I honestly struggled to remember what one pt told me about weight loss and included in my PN but now that my mind is clear I'm like did she actually say that? Did I actually hear a murmur ?? Why did I put that in there!!! So ya.. I hope to God I don't fail. I've been studying none stop for all these years just like we're all doing and it would be heart breaking to fail now.

Thank you so much for replying I appreciate it so much! Yes I don't know why I didnt pull out the leg rest either i was so mad at myself. I guess when I practiced it wasn't on a pt bed or anything where I can practice that and it slipped my mind. Could that cost me CIS?

For the pt note I honestly was not trying to make anything up! I really thought I heard a murmur but I wish I didn't mention anything I really do.. and other crap in my PN that I wish I left out as well because when you're nervous you just don't know what to do and the dumb in you comes out.. I honestly struggled to remember what one pt told me about weight loss and included in my PN but now that my mind is clear I'm like did she actually say that? Did I actually hear a murmur ?? Why did I put that in there!!! So ya.. I hope to God I don't fail. I've been studying none stop for all these years just like we're all doing and it would be heart breaking to fail now.

As I said before it's impossible to know if a particular mistake costed you your exam since there are no clear objective guidelines on what constitutes a pass. Although I will add this, it's not about making mistakes. It's about making the same mistakes repeatedly that lead to a failure. I feel there is a lot of leeway on scoring so the footrest issue alone shouldn't doom you especially if no one's feet were dangling off the table during the abdominal exam.

Either way man, take a deep breath. It's not in your hands anymore. Once you've written down your possible mistakes, there's nothing more to add and analyze at this point. One of these days you'll get an email, it will either have good news or bad but your life won't end there. If you pass you have a plan of action, if you fail well you have a plan for it too. I might be waxing philosophical here but in the bigger scheme of things, CS is another milestone. Work towards getting over your nervousness if that's an issue because medicine is a high stress environment.

Passed. I had to retake this exam because I failed this exam on ICE portion by 1 star back in Feb. I seriously underestimated this exam and did not practice writing notes the way NBME wants you to. I would be scared of failing if you didn't receive a score today because I got my failed score result week after the supposed result date. I cannot believe this BS exam almost jeopardized my residency spot.

Passed. I had to retake this exam because I failed this exam on ICE portion by 1 star back in Feb. I seriously underestimated this exam and did not practice writing notes the way NBME wants you to. I would be scared of failing if you didn't receive a score today because I got my failed score result week after the supposed result date. I cannot believe this BS exam almost jeopardized my residency spot.

OMG I passed...I was so sure i failed this stupid exam.... I was so depressed these past 3 mo. Thank God it is all over now!!!

US MD at top 50 school and will graduate this May. didn't match for IM. second failure on CS and 200s on S1 and 220s on CK.
it time to give it up?

US MD at top 50 school and will graduate this May. didn't match for IM. second failure on CS and 200s on S1 and 220s on CK.
it time to give it up?
Hey.. don't give up, you're a US MD , have you spoken to whoever is in charge of the match process at your school? Are you applying to enough places? What's happening with CS? I just took it actually and I'm also freaking out about it.. it's funny what nerves can do! I forgot/did so many silly things.. have you taken a course or anything that could help with CS? You might benefit from that.

You've come this far and did four long years of medical school. Took 8-9 hour long exams, don't give up without a fight. Doctors are needed and if you truly believe deep in your heart that you're meant to be one don't give up:) good luck

ImageUploadedBySDN1493321049.780734.jpg

So, I passed CS, but I was wondering if I almost failed?? How do you interpret these stars?

Based on this I did low pass/high fail on both ICE and CIS? If that's the case why are they exactly the same?
...just trying to figure out if I passed by the skin of my teeth.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

View attachment 218231

So, I passed CS, but I was wondering if I almost failed?? How do you interpret these stars?

Based on this I did low pass/high fail on both ICE and CIS? If that's the case why are they exactly the same?

Hey! No idea how to interpret these things .. I thought I saw someone that failed with two stars in lower performance ..

For the ICE portion you have to pass 6 out of the 11 cases to pass that section. The number of cases you passed is at or above the borderline pass area. The number of cases you failed is in the lower performance area. Not sure how many cases you have to pass for the CIS but I believe it might be 6 or 7 too.

For the ICE portion you have to pass 6 out of the 11 cases to pass that section. The number of cases you passed is at or above the borderline pass area. The number of cases you failed is in the lower performance area. Not sure how many cases you have to pass for the CIS but I believe it might be 6 or 7 too.
I thought only 10 cases since 2 out of the 12 don't count?

Do you have a source for this or are you making it up?

Reactions: 1 user
View attachment 218231

My ICE is the same as yours. I remember reading somewhere that you fail if you have 5 or more x in lower performance. Don't know what's correct(Probably no one does)

View attachment 218231

Seems like no one is sure, either way.. 5 stars 6 moons, take that pass and runnn