27Q MCAT, 3.90 undergrad GPA, MPH from Columbia, any ideas where I should apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mailman2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was just curious on which schools you think I'd be competitive at.

My Stats:
3.90 GPA undergrad
BS Biology and a BA Philosophy
Phi Beta Kappa

27Q MCAT (10 B, 9 P, 8 V)

Currently in the epidemiology MPH program at the Mailman School of Public Health at Columbia University and have received all As or A-s.

Research:
1 Publication in Ultrasonics Sonochemistry
1 Accepted Abstract at the 2012 International AIDS Conference--currently working with the same group for my masters thesis
1.5 years stroke research lab experience

Extra-curriculars:
-founded an organization on global health education at my undergrad university
-ethics bowl team
-started an a cappella group
-president of dorm community service club
-chemistry and philosophy private tutor
-interned in London at a drug marketing firm
-shadowed at an internal medicine office

Also, I spent a summer in Ghana teaching sex/STD education. I've kept in touch with the people I've worked with and have organized several fundraisers to benefit the village.
I'm TAing biostatistics in my masters program as well.

I took the MCAT in 2010 and got a 22 (very flukey) and a C (borderline B) in biochem...but aside from that, grades have been really strong. I know a 27 isn't a really strong MCAT score, but I think other aspects of my application are really strong, including my masters degree. Does an MPH from Columbia hold much weight?

Would appreciate any feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, these are the schools I'm considering besides my home state schools:

Albany Medical College
NY Medical College
Rosalind Franklin
George Washington
Drexel
Saint Louis U

Considering adding: NYU, Pitt, or Dartmouth. Any others I should add?

For a better chance at a more successful cycle, definitely consider applying to more than just the 10ish schools you listed. The low MCAT is going to hurt you. MPH may or may not help much. It won't really offset the low MCAT, but if you are interested in utilizing your public health knowledge in medicine and have clear goals of how you plan on doing so, you might catch the interest of some schools with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
For a better chance at a more successful cycle, definitely consider applying to more than just the 10ish schools you listed. The low MCAT is going to hurt you. MPH may or may not help much. It won't really offset the low MCAT, but if you are interested in utilizing your public health knowledge in medicine and have clear goals of how you plan on doing so, you might catch the interest of some schools with it.

+1. You need to retake the MCAT especially considering the fact that you got a 22 once.

I would retake the MCAT. The MPH unfortunately will not compensate, nor will your grades in the program be meaningful since grad school grades are largely ignored (unless they're really bad). With an app like yours, even bringing you MCAT to just a 31/32 would do wonders.

Thanks for the input! My state of residency is West Virginia.

Add Creighton. You will be a shoo in for DO

I would retake the MCAT. The MPH unfortunately will not compensate, nor will your grades in the program be meaningful since grad school grades are largely ignored (unless they're really bad). With an app like yours, even bringing you MCAT to just a 31/32 would do wonders.

"Just" a 31/32. Only on SDN :rolleyes:

Hey, it's the median score for all accepted medical students. It's definitely a very attainable score.

The average of test takers is 25. Average applicant is 28. Not everyone who applies is going to get the median score (31-32, or whatever it is) because not everyone is capable of such a score. However, with that said, I would expect a double major with a 3.90 from Columbia to be capable of a 30+ on the MCAT.

Thank you for the input everyone! Accepted at MD program at West Virginia University...with three more interviews to go (all MD schools).

Thank you for the input everyone! Accepted at MD program at West Virginia University...with three more interviews to go (all MD schools).

congrats! did any med schools make mention of your mcat score?

Mailman school of PH? Wow interesting name. Congrats though!

Thanks! I have not attended the other medical school interviews yet, but WVU didn't say much about it in the interview other than "nice improvement." They were far more interested in other parts of my application, particularly my background in public health and research.

I can't really say for schools that I haven't heard from just yet.