29 years old considering Dental School...

Started by PapawCox
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PapawCox

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So my story in a nutshell. I am 29 years old and currently am in Medical Device sales. Its a good job, but Dentistry has been on my mind for years now. I used to work for a Bank here where I'm from for 7 years. I started in College and worked my way up from a part time teller to the Branch Manager. During all this Dentistry was on my mind as well, but I just got comfortable with the Bank since I was moving up. Well I'm to the point now where I either want to go for it or just put it to rest. My question is mainly about my age. I will have to go back for at least two years to do some pre requisite classes then apply. So if all went well I would be in dental school at 31 or 32 and be out by the latest hopefully 36. Is this too old? Also for those that are going to dental school do you have to have a "doctorial" mind to do this. Basically what I mean is if I can set good study habits now in the pre requisites will I be able to make it in Dental School? Its been a while since I've had the Bio and Chem classes so I'm a little scared about how difficult they will be as far as the pre reqs are concerned. I'll have to take the 2 general Bio and Chem classes, 2 organic chem, and some Physics I believe. Can someone make good grades in these if they put their mind to it and develop good study habits, or do you have to have that type of brain??? I hope this makes sense and appreciate any advice.
 
29? old? are you kidding? i'm in the middle of 30s and waiting for a final notice from a couple of dental school.

As to your age, it is not a problem at all but the question is if this is true calling and you are able to do go through all the process.

first thing you need to do is to decide whether you want to start or not.

once you set your mind, then start to take prerequisites. do your best and you'll see whether you can able to do this kind of job or not.

lots of younger studenets are TOO busy to concentrate their study, parties, sex, traveling .... if you are one of those people, i would seriously recommend that you should do what you've been doing but you are ready to die in studying, you are not too late
 
Today I am 28, and in august I will be 29. I am applying to dental schools this coming June.

I was 25 years old when I decided to go after dentistry, so I spent the last 3-4 years working my pre-dental requirements. I coulda done it in about 2-3 years but half that time I was working fulltime as a software engineer and supporting myself.

Anyways, 29 is nothing. Say you get into dental school by time ur 32-33, you will finish by time your 36-37, and start making a really comfortable living. its soooooo worth it
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I love this stuff! Do it! I am in the same boat that you are. I'll be 32 when I start Dental school this year, and if I didn't finally get after it, I would have NEVER been going to dental school at all.

I went back to school in 2007 with no science credits at all. I was pretty nervous that I wouldn't fit in. A few years ago I would have never thought that I would have been so successful in a Biochemistry class and research! The funny thing is, I would have never been mature enough to handle these classes in my original undergrad time (I had a lot of respect for the 19 year old kids in Organic...).

It starts as an interest, but at your age you really have to make sure that you're making the right decision (which is tough). If you haven;t already, go find a dentist that will let you spend a lot of time in his/her office and that will refer you to other specialists. By the way, an ortho that I shadowed went back to school when he was 29 too. Seems to have worked out for him. 🙂

Good luck.
 
31 when I decided on dentitsry. Jumped through my "you-know what" to get all my prereqs/DAT/app done, and will be starting dental school at age 32. You're only as old as you think you are.
 
You are not too old.

Im 28, turning 29 this summer when i sit the dat and apply to school.

If it makes you happy DO IT.

Schools do not look down on you for being older. In fact I hear it may give you a leg up as you add diversity and maturity to the student body.
 
you are old. Go back to the bank and work there.


I am just kidding. During my interview at one school, i notice there are this guy in his 40s, thinking he will be my interviewers, turns out he is the interviewee. Add to that, he has 2 children, one is 12 and one is 9.

Some schools like nontraditional applicants, like Midwestern. I think the average age there is 26.

Schools like students with life experience
 
So my story in a nutshell. I am 29 years old and currently am in Medical Device sales. Its a good job, but Dentistry has been on my mind for years now. I used to work for a Bank here where I'm from for 7 years. I started in College and worked my way up from a part time teller to the Branch Manager. During all this Dentistry was on my mind as well, but I just got comfortable with the Bank since I was moving up. Well I'm to the point now where I either want to go for it or just put it to rest. My question is mainly about my age. I will have to go back for at least two years to do some pre requisite classes then apply. So if all went well I would be in dental school at 31 or 32 and be out by the latest hopefully 36. Is this too old? Also for those that are going to dental school do you have to have a "doctorial" mind to do this. Basically what I mean is if I can set good study habits now in the pre requisites will I be able to make it in Dental School? Its been a while since I've had the Bio and Chem classes so I'm a little scared about how difficult they will be as far as the pre reqs are concerned. I'll have to take the 2 general Bio and Chem classes, 2 organic chem, and some Physics I believe. Can someone make good grades in these if they put their mind to it and develop good study habits, or do you have to have that type of brain??? I hope this makes sense and appreciate any advice.

i am a lazy person and i can't imagine myself studying at 29 or 30, never gonna happen. however, its not too late at that age if you have the committment, i don't. Older people tends to do well in classes since they are more mature and they know why they are doing what they are doing. i can count how many of my under-grad class that i didn't sleep in, 5. i sleep in every class. My mom is doing her masters and she's 51, so i think you can do it and dental school wants mature people.
 
I am in the same boat as you. Will have my MBA in a little bit, and will then quit to go back to take my pre-reqs.

To answer your question, no, you are not too old and no, you will not have trouble with subjects. As a matter of fact, your post is very timely, because just yesterday, I had a meeting with a pre-dental advisor. He said that the people who come back to school after some time usually perform better than the undergraduates because they have their priorities straight and are more focused. So don't worry.

The question you should ask is, are YOU motivated enough to follow through with the commitment once you decide to do it. If so, you'll be ok.

Best of luck, and feel free to PM if you have any questions.
 
My advice: Do It! It sounds like you have some put some thought into it. Probably wouldn't hurt to get some time shadowing to be sure.

I'm 29 and recently left my career in the restaurant business of ten years to finish undergrad and will be applying when I am 31. I am married and have two small children.

I hated the restaurant grind although I was semi successful and supervised multiple units. One day after a rough week I just decided life is too short. A lot of people thought I was crazy for quitting a realtively high paying job in a soft economy, but it will all work out. If you really want something, you'll get it.
 
Thanks for all the posts. Makes me feel better. I have to do well in pre reqs to get my overall GPA up. I think it was like a 2.65 when I graduated. How high do you think it could get to if I were to get all A's in 2 years of pre reqs? (obviously this is best case scenario)
 
Your age should not be any concern to you; however, your GPA, DAT, and ECs should be.

A GPA of 2.65 will not do you any good. You really need to bring it up. It is always interesting to hear people who did bad in school suddenly think that they can get all A's. Not to say that it is impossible but it will require a LOT of efforts. Again, age will not prevent you from becoming a dentist but your GPA and DAT will.

If you do not want to waste your current position at work, I would suggest that you study for the DAT in your spare time. It is less time consuming and cheaper than taking classes. Once you feel that you are ready, take the DAT and see how you do. If you score anything less than a 17 (AA and TS), you might want to rethink about quitting your job and trying to become a dentist.
 
Thanks for all the posts. Makes me feel better. I have to do well in pre reqs to get my overall GPA up. I think it was like a 2.65 when I graduated. How high do you think it could get to if I were to get all A's in 2 years of pre reqs? (obviously this is best case scenario)

to put things in prespective for you..

When I finished my initial undergrad in 2004, I had a 3.0 with 136 credits.
I started doing post-bacc since 2007, and now, after 54 credits of post-bacc with straight 4.0, I was able to bring my overall GPA to.... 3.3 (still kinda crappy)..... so fixing gpa is a VERY VERY difficult thing to do, if I was in your shoes, I would work my HARDEST to bring that 2.6 to a 3.0 and rock that DAT (AA of 22 with 3.0 gpa should make you competitive), of course thats just my opinion and its not based on any facts.

Good luck
 
Your age is an ADVANTAGE!!

Dentistry requires you to take your patient first above anything else in your life. For the time they pay you to be there for them, they are #1 in your universe.

That requires maturity.

Maturity comes with age. At 18 you may be brilliant, but perhaps the latest video game has your attention, whatever.

At 29, 30, 31... you can focus on someone without distraction.

Intelligence and commitment are important, but wisdom is important, too.

I would have made a terrible Dentist at 22. 😱

At 34, I think, I will do okay. University of Oklahoma is confident that I will be very good at what I do.

Very few people have what it takes in their early twenties, I think.

Dentistry is one of those professions where you peak in your 50's or even your 60's. Experience and patience and maturity are mega important!

Age is to your benefit!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your age should not be any concern to you; however, your GPA, DAT, and ECs should be.

A GPA of 2.65 will not do you any good. You really need to bring it up. It is always interesting to hear people who did bad in school suddenly think that they can get all A's. Not to say that it is impossible but it will require a LOT of efforts. Again, age will not prevent you from becoming a dentist but your GPA and DAT will.

If you do not want to waste your current position at work, I would suggest that you study for the DAT in your spare time. It is less time consuming and cheaper than taking classes. Once you feel that you are ready, take the DAT and see how you do. If you score anything less than a 17 (AA and TS), you might want to rethink about quitting your job and trying to become a dentist.

👍
 
I had the same considerations when I was thinking of starting a new career, except I was 35!

My little brother gave me a 15 sec piece of advice that cleared it all up for me and now I'm giving it to you.

"You are gonna be 36 no matter what and that day will come sooner than you expect! When you are 36, do you want to be a dentist or do you want to work @ the bank?"

Pretty simple huh?

As far as the adcoms judging against your age..don't sweat it. We have a dude in his 50's in my class.
 
I am also a non-traditional student. I am currently 28, and when I attend my freshmen year at dental school next year I am going to be 29.

I think you will be fine. The 3.0 is from a past life, and I think that the schools will be more looking at your more recent GPA (especially in the Sciences).

I think it is the perfect time. You know how crappy life can get if you don't do what you want to do, and if your 29 your friends all have spouses and babies and partying is out of the question. I think that you will surprise yourself at how well you will do in your classes. Remember your professors in undergrad wants everyone to learn the material at a 4.0 level, and I have found they are nicer to the older students.
 
I'm 33, and starting Maryland Dental this July (accepted three weeks ago).

I received my undergrad (B.S., Biology) in 1998, and hadn't had a science course until I began my post-bacc 2.5 years ago (that's a 10 year hiatus for non-math majors)! Since then, I have retaken Gen Chem I/II, O-Chem I/II, Analytical Chem, Biochem, and Physics I/II. I had no problems with the courses, although balancing study time while working a F/T job was challenging. I literally left my house around 7am and wasn't home until 11pm weeknights. Weekends were study marathons.

I'd be lying if I said these weren't the busiest, most demanding 2.5 years of my life. That being said, they have also been the most rewarding, and I am beyond thrilled with my decision, as well as the outcome (acceptance letter)!

I knew Dentistry was my calling, and although I've been putting in 15-18 hour days every day (work + class + studying) for the past 2.5 years to get my stats up to snuff, it's all been worth it. My undergrad GPA in 1998 was a 3.0; my post-bacc (2008-2010) will be ~3.8, and my DAT scores were 21's across the board.

If it's what you want, do it and don't look back. To note: I was rejected by all the schools I applied to in 2008 - two application cycles ago (before the post-bacc program and much improved DAT score). I would recommend a post-bacc program and rock your DATs. Your age is not an issue. If it's your dream, live it.



So my story in a nutshell. I am 29 years old and currently am in Medical Device sales. Its a good job, but Dentistry has been on my mind for years now. I used to work for a Bank here where I'm from for 7 years. I started in College and worked my way up from a part time teller to the Branch Manager. During all this Dentistry was on my mind as well, but I just got comfortable with the Bank since I was moving up. Well I'm to the point now where I either want to go for it or just put it to rest. My question is mainly about my age. I will have to go back for at least two years to do some pre requisite classes then apply. So if all went well I would be in dental school at 31 or 32 and be out by the latest hopefully 36. Is this too old? Also for those that are going to dental school do you have to have a "doctorial" mind to do this. Basically what I mean is if I can set good study habits now in the pre requisites will I be able to make it in Dental School? Its been a while since I've had the Bio and Chem classes so I'm a little scared about how difficult they will be as far as the pre reqs are concerned. I'll have to take the 2 general Bio and Chem classes, 2 organic chem, and some Physics I believe. Can someone make good grades in these if they put their mind to it and develop good study habits, or do you have to have that type of brain??? I hope this makes sense and appreciate any advice.
 
I too i'm at that age, 29, and been aiming for dental school from high school. I made alot of wrong decisions when i went to school. Trying to balance life, and working to JUST get by, "studying", school and just family issues from different angles. In the long run, i prevailed......... after 11 years. I got my masters and managed to get into dental school and start this August. So looking back, so worth it and I will never take anything back from my mistakes. Just looking forward. Age shouldn't come in the way with PASSION. I encourage everyone to chase their dreams at any cost and regret nothing.🙂🙂🙂
 
"It is always interesting to hear people who did bad in school suddenly think that they can get all A's"

Some people didnt apply themselves in college and find achieving a 4.0 in undergrad to be easy peasy. These are the same students who partied their way through, didnt study, and pulled a 3.2. A 3.2 with minimal effort. This is why they say with confidence theyll rock their pre reqs.

Take a look at some untraditional predents profiles. Ive found in my surfing that most do 3.75+ when they go back to do their pre reqs.

Happy Friday eeeeveryone!
 
"It is always interesting to hear people who did bad in school suddenly think that they can get all A's"

Some people didnt apply themselves in college and find achieving a 4.0 in undergrad to be easy peasy. These are the same students who partied their way through, didnt study, and pulled a 3.2. A 3.2 with minimal effort. This is why they say with confidence theyll rock their pre reqs.

Take a look at some untraditional predents profiles. Ive found in my surfing that most do 3.75+ when they go back to do their pre reqs.

Happy Friday eeeeveryone!

This is very true. I'm still working on pre-reqs, and 37yo. My overall is about 3.1 or so, and I have grades from CC back in the early 90's with F's in quite a few very basic classes because I was to lazy and didn't drop them. But after 120 or so credits since then w/ only a couple of c's here and there, I am recovering well. It's been very tough to raise my GPA now, damn near impossible, but some school is just going to have to overlook them for me to be accepted.
Going back to school now is fairly easy compared to work.
Teachers treat me w/ more respect cuz I'm older and students look at me and wonder if I'm a loser for being in school at my age!!

I just refuse to let an 18yo score higher than me!!!!!!!! Easier said than done though!
Good Luck
 
Last edited:
I am 28 and just started my pre-req's this summer! I knew it was the right decision when I could give up all the travel/vacations I have been taking to hit the books. Would you be able to say the same thing?
 
You have to take your current job into consideration while taking the pre-reqs. Will you be able to hold a full time job and take all the pre-reqs and study for the DAT? Are you okay with the heavy students loans of dental school and potentially living like a student while in dental school?

Private school tuition & fees are around $200-250k+ at 6.8-8.0% interest rate, this figure is without the cost of living.
 
im sooo looking forward to making good friends with other 30 somethings after i get in and graduate. It will be the 30+ M only club. hehe.
 
Follow your passions or you will regret that you did not. Also, you are not close to being too old. Once you graduate, you will have 20+ years of working as a dentist to work forward to.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dentistry is short-lived career after all. Do it as soon as you've made up your mind.
 
elaborate veru?

I believe he means that we stay in school for additional 4 years + the amount of debt on our back + the amount of years needed to work w/ associate + the debt to buy an private practice + the amount of time needed to establish a practice by the time you start to make money it will be little long... then comes along retirement.
 
I thought this was a good time to stop lurking and join this board!

I'm thirty seven, and I have four kids. I've been rocking my prereqs for over a year now. I KNOW my maturity makes all the difference, and I'm convinced dental schools know that too. I don't have a previous low gpa to live down, which helps. But by the time you prove yourself in your prereqs, it'll be obvious you've decided what you want and are ready to do what it takes to get there.

I don't know about you, but dentistry is my passion, and I don't plan on retiring until I can't do the work anymore. That's the difference between working cause you have to and spending your time doing what you love.
 
@peanut

due to the ease of financing a dental office, ive gathered from around here that a one year residency after dental school will ensure you have the capital to start your own or buy a practice. so there really isnt a long startup time after graduation before you are making a living.
 
@peanut

due to the ease of financing a dental office, ive gathered from around here that a one year residency after dental school will ensure you have the capital to start your own or buy a practice. so there really isnt a long startup time after graduation before you are making a living.


I am not sure... but i am just saying what the other person meant... i have no idea about this stuff though.
 
also, to answer the OP. Im 29 and just applied. I run with a clique here at school of all premed and predents who are coming back because weve finally found our calling.

Your question is a common one by untrads, but hopefully this elucidates and shows you how silly the supposition is that you can be too old to do this.

The average dental student is what 23-24? You are 29. Thats a 5-6 year difference. A few years difference when youll be using your dental degree for the next 30 years. The only dif between 29 and 23 is youre smarter and better looking ( us mens get better looking with age). Training for what youll b e doing the rest of your life isnt something you can do in a small window from 21-27. You can do it in your late thirties if you know youre going to be working till your sixty at least. It makes even more sense in dentistry, as you come out of the gate making a decent living ( IE , most likely the 5 years youre doing d school and pre reqs youll come out making comparable or more than if you would have stayed at your job, if you make wha tthe average white collar american makes. In medical sales you prolly make 80-120, so this still works for you).

Also, someone posted around here a few years ago a quote from their grandfather. It was something like "time is going to pass regardless, how would you like to be spending it?"

Anyway, if you decide to do this, you HAVE to throw your heart and soul into it (Its more important for us who are cramming in their pre reqs than for the traditional student who gets to take a few science classes per semester along with easy classes. My untrad friends and I take four classes and four labs. Adcoms DO look at courseload). You have to take your grades personally. If you arent in the top ten percent of your class every test, then you better be finding out why you arent and adjusting. You are a grown adult. Your competitive advantage is discipline and mindset. Use it. I dont know what your other degree is in (my undergrad and masters were in business), but if it wasnt science youre in for a rude awakening. These classes are time intensive and competitive for the average student. School is an exercise in time management. If you put in the time, you can crank out the grades. With the vastly more competitive environ, coming back and curb stomping your pre preqs is essential. Worship organic as (ive heard from one adcom in person) its the first grade they look at. They know that its a time intensive class.

Make a friend or two around here who have just gone thru the process. Ive made one here who has been essential in keeping me up when im feeling down, guiding me through the process, and letting me know that there are others out there like me and that Im not crazy for giving up a life of wealth and status to be an undergraduate again so i can work on teeth.

Map out your timeline. Dental school is a rolling admission process. Learn what this means, what this means for your DAT schedule and your pre req order etc. Dont be blindsided and made to sit on the sidelines for an extra year.

And do NOT come here and get discouraged by naysayers. You can do it if you want it. Success, with the right talent, is a self selecting process.

You can do anything. Now go get em killer.
 
So my story in a nutshell. I am 29 years old and currently am in Medical Device sales. Its a good job, but Dentistry has been on my mind for years now. I used to work for a Bank here where I'm from for 7 years. I started in College and worked my way up from a part time teller to the Branch Manager. During all this Dentistry was on my mind as well, but I just got comfortable with the Bank since I was moving up. Well I'm to the point now where I either want to go for it or just put it to rest. My question is mainly about my age. I will have to go back for at least two years to do some pre requisite classes then apply. So if all went well I would be in dental school at 31 or 32 and be out by the latest hopefully 36. Is this too old? Also for those that are going to dental school do you have to have a "doctorial" mind to do this. Basically what I mean is if I can set good study habits now in the pre requisites will I be able to make it in Dental School? Its been a while since I've had the Bio and Chem classes so I'm a little scared about how difficult they will be as far as the pre reqs are concerned. I'll have to take the 2 general Bio and Chem classes, 2 organic chem, and some Physics I believe. Can someone make good grades in these if they put their mind to it and develop good study habits, or do you have to have that type of brain??? I hope this makes sense and appreciate any advice.

DO IT! DO IT!! DO IT!!!


BTW I'm 28
 
I'm sure you already decided but if you haven't do it.

I'm 27 if I make it for fall of 2011 I'll be 28/29 when I start depending on start of school.

the only "hard" part I see is relating to some classmates who are 21/22 since they

A. Grew up outside of the greatest decade ie the 80s. Cmon who didn't like big hair and spandex pants. Admit it. the Music, the movies.

B. May not have gotten all the partying/drinking out of their system. Social activities maybe hard.

But if you're a single guy you can possibly nab some of the younger girls by playing up the whole older guy thing. 🙄

when retaking my prereqs classes I totally took advantage of the fact that some of them were busy partying, and made the curve easier or pissed off the professor stupid crap that I won out for being the good student who know what he was doing.

Occasionally I had reminders of my age. such as when only myself and teacher knew what VHS is.🙂
 
I'm thirty seven, and I have four kids. I've been rocking my prereqs for over a year now. I KNOW my maturity makes all the difference, and I'm convinced dental schools know that too. I don't have a previous low gpa to live down, which helps. But by the time you prove yourself in your prereqs, it'll be obvious you've decided what you want and are ready to do what it takes to get there.

I don't know about you, but dentistry is my passion, and I don't plan on retiring until I can't do the work anymore. That's the difference between working cause you have to and spending your time doing what you love.


👍 - I am with you - I am 37 (on 7/26 - happy birthday to me!) and I have two kiddos. I am not "rocking" the prereqs (3.5 - while working 1/2 time and coaching T-ball and soccer) but I didn't have much that I could take to help me out as I am a pharmacist currently (for past 12 yrs) - Fortunately, or perhaps unfortunately, I am definately more mature now that when in pharmacy school - it ain't like I graduated top of my Pharm. D. class or anything. But hey, I am giving it a go and praying for the best.
 
OP -

I think you could reasonably pull it up to ~3.0 Overall GPA (By making mostly As in the pre-reqs) I think 3.0 is about the highest you're gonna get.

I was in a similar situation ... but there's no half-assing it. You've gotta show them you're a different person with dfferent goals, than when you were in undergrad.

One pluses of the pre-reqs is that it will prepare you really well for the DAT.

Best of Luck!