2nd Attempt... Please Read On

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T

tenyears

Hello, I am a foreign trained dentist. I took the NDBE 1 about two yrs ago. I can come up with a lot of reasons of failing it and excuses why i didn't not study hard, but the bottomline is I wasn't ready and I was so scared of failing that I didn't bother focusing and and i didn't give my best shot.

I am sick of being stuck to where i am right now. I really need to finish my NDBE's. I'm getting old. I want to accomplish the things that i set out for myself. uggghhhhh... it just never ends...

So, anyway, i am planning to take Part 1 in July. I really don't know where and how to begin studying. It's so overwhelming. I went to a Kaplan learning center the other day, and took a diagnostic exam. Unfortunately the results were not pleasant. But i really want to get through this.

I need advice, on what materials i should use. I hear different things/tips on this website. Its confusing. Some say Kaplan won't really help, and decks won't either. I don't know whom to listen to. I have the 2002 dental decks, i don't think it helped me before. Should i still buy the 2004 decks? I wanted to enroll at Kaplan, and attend classes. It'll cost me a lot, but if it helps i am afraid i have to consider it. Do you think attending classes will be really beneficial?

I need honest, deliberate and professional opinions/advices.

Thanks for reading this... Hope to hear from anyone soon =)

Members don't see this ad.

I am telling u my honest opinion and dont get me wrong. First of all u need to get rid of the negative attitude. It is not really difficult to get a good score but itz not easy either. U are at the right place coz this forum is full of ppl who are awesome and very encouraging . U dont need the latest decks but u need kaplans notes and text books of the subjects u find diffcult.Good Luck :thumbup:

sreshta said:
I am telling u my honest opinion and dont get me wrong. First of all u need to get rid of the negative attitude. It is not really difficult to get a good score but itz not easy either. U are at the right place coz this forum is full of ppl who are awesome and very encouraging . U dont need the latest decks but u need kaplans notes and text books of the subjects u find diffcult.Good Luck :thumbup:

Good advice :thumbup: I would like to emphasize on Sreshta's thoughts and suggest you to get thorough with basics-read Kaplan and text books..Don't just rely on decks if you don't know the basics well..
Remember, the KEY is revision..Aim for 5 times revision before you take the exam..
Good luck :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
tenyears said:
Hello, I am a foreign trained dentist. I took the NDBE 1 about two yrs ago. I can come up with a lot of reasons of failing it and excuses why i didn't not study hard, but the bottomline is I wasn't ready and I was so scared of failing that I didn't bother focusing and and i didn't give my best shot.

I am sick of being stuck to where i am right now. I really need to finish my NDBE's. I'm getting old. I want to accomplish the things that i set out for myself. uggghhhhh... it just never ends...

So, anyway, i am planning to take Part 1 in July. I really don't know where and how to begin studying. It's so overwhelming. I went to a Kaplan learning center the other day, and took a diagnostic exam. Unfortunately the results were not pleasant. But i really want to get through this.

I need advice, on what materials i should use. I hear different things/tips on this website. Its confusing. Some say Kaplan won't really help, and decks won't either. I don't know whom to listen to. I have the 2002 dental decks, i don't think it helped me before. Should i still buy the 2004 decks? I wanted to enroll at Kaplan, and attend classes. It'll cost me a lot, but if it helps i am afraid i have to consider it. Do you think attending classes will be really beneficial?

I do not know about kaplan....but yes u need decks....
study bit by bit....divide in pieces.....
respect urself..u got a purpose......study well....
all the best..
:luck:

hi..
i personally feel that u need to study in detail. if ure basics are not strong . i feel read frmo text books at least those topics that u arnt sure about .
my personal opinion too that only decks and asda papers are not adequate yet r important guidelines to follow.
the questions may be from same topics as those asked earlier but the difficulty level varies. u need to know the subject to be able to answer the questions asked.
it is not an impossible task . u can succeed with perseverance and hard work.
all the best studying...
any help u need , let us know...
all the best studying ... and important be confident that u will succeed.. nothing is impossible.
toothie

tenyears said:

hello,this is blacktooth.as someone rightly said ,drop your negative atitude right away.trust me passing ndb and scoring well is no big deal provided you do what is needed.there's a sure pathway to success and there's no reason to be confused regarding what books to study from.
in my opinion if you thoroughly study kaplan+dental decks+last 10 yrs question papers,there is no way you can score less the 85%.i know of someone who studied just this and scored 96%.so be thorough with this only and if any topic is not clear ,refer text book...and thats it.otherwise i don't think one needs to go thru voluminious textbooks.kaplan has all that you need to know to score .and decks+question papers make it a complete study guide for part 1.so according to me there's nothing like only decks and question papers or papers don't help.you must study all three!!!!!!!!and i stress on the word ,"must".
now this is a fact,i studied for 2 and a half months and scored 89%.but i studied real hard.!!!!!!!!!!especially the last month before exams,i'd study 16 to 19 hours aday.!!!now you know yourself well.just plan it out,have the determination and trust me, sky is the limit.don't waste your time worrying about it but instead just do it!!!!!!!!!!good luck to you!!!!!!!!! :thumbup: :luck:

Hi ten years!
calm up..........things might be tough but never impossible!
First of all set a goal ,clear any mental mess of it being beyond reach.
now start accumulating material to guide you what study topics you need to brush up completely,which partially & in what depth.I'd say dental dcks & ASDA reprints give a very good insight of the topics to be clear about.If you have your base study books & notes to countercheck concepts you were not clear with when dealing with the MCQ's in decks & ASDA then probably you need to buy Kaplan book.How much would kaplan classes help...am not sure.
Base line - start clearing your concepts.If you have to read extensively for that, do so but always be in touch with what you gauged were the focus topics in the q bank.
Start up with clarity & determination....someone or the other will guide you thru till the end.
Believe it is possible as God also helps those who believe in the positivity.
Take care