2nd Time Around

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marianne11

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering that if I applied to a school 1-2 years ago, and I re-apply now, do they still have my old app & essay stuff? I'd hate to contradict myself or write almost the exact same essay 2 years later. But I kind of doubt they would keep all that info on 1000s of students each year. Anyone know? :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm wondering that if I applied to a school 1-2 years ago, and I re-apply now, do they still have my old app & essay stuff? I'd hate to contradict myself or write almost the exact same essay 2 years later. But I kind of doubt they would keep all that info on 1000s of students each year. Anyone know? :)

contradict ... you lied or somethin? :laugh:

if its similar, it shouldnt matter. lets hope you didnt lie the 1st time around though ... im sure you saved your documents, just look at them and run from there if you did lie. they wont know one difference unless you do contradict yourself. and im sure some schools keep files.

2 years ago? Probably not...

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it depends on the school. I know that an allopathic school I applied to (ECU) told me they kept the last years cycle so if people reapplied they could judge if progress was made, but then the file was shredded. in other words, they only kept it one cycle past the original cylce.

I think it is ok to use the same essays to your secondary questions, and just up date them a little if you need to. I know for the PS on the primary many people use the same essay if they applied more than once.

Marcia

contradict ... you lied or somethin? :laugh:

if its similar, it shouldnt matter. lets hope you didnt lie the 1st time around though ... im sure you saved your documents, just look at them and run from there if you did lie. they wont know one difference unless you do contradict yourself. and im sure some schools keep files.

No, I didn't lie. But I answered a question incorrectly before. When they ask have you martriculated at a med school before, I put yes. But technically I did not. I went to orientation and a week of classes & then a leave of absence. So everyone tells me that this is a no if I didn't finish a semester or ever take a test. If I answer correctly this time and say no, I don't want it to appear weird if I said yes before. Does this make sense? It was 2 years ago that this happened. :)

Sounds like you matriculated to me.

No, I didn't lie. But I answered a question incorrectly before. When they ask have you martriculated at a med school before, I put yes. But technically I did not. I went to orientation and a week of classes & then a leave of absence. So everyone tells me that this is a no if I didn't finish a semester or ever take a test. If I answer correctly this time and say no, I don't want it to appear weird if I said yes before. Does this make sense? It was 2 years ago that this happened. :)

and you dropped out because ...? that should hurt you.

Sounds matriculated to me too...If so thats gonna hurt unless u have a reasonable explanation why u dropped out...

Sounds matriculated to me too...If so thats gonna hurt unless u have a reasonable explanation why u dropped out...

I had a relapse from a serious disease.

It does sound like you were matriculated. Is there any way you can ask the school you are applying to? Maybe you can do it anonymously?

"I have a friend who knows a guy who had a roommate who went to classes at a med school for a week. Do you know if that is considered as attending a medical school before?"

Best of luck for 2007!

It does sound like you were matriculated. Is there any way you can ask the school you are applying to? Maybe you can do it anonymously?

"I have a friend who knows a guy who had a roommate who went to classes at a med school for a week. Do you know if that is considered as attending a medical school before?"

Best of luck for 2007!

Thanks!

DMU does keep old applications & puts them into the files w/ the new ones (it's not hard now that everything is computerized to just type in a name). I can tell you that the thing that will hurt you most is if you turn in pretty much the exact same application that you had 2 years ago.

Something had to have changed in those years or you had to have done something to make yourself more ready for med school. If you turn in nearly the same app it is going to seem like you are too lazy to even change possibly the most important application in your life.