3.0 GPA, 22AA DAT, going to do a masters, what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dstu1987

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I know theres like 50 of these threads in the past few months alone, but I just wanted to get opinions on my own situation lol. I have a very low GPA and sGPA, both between 3.00 and 3.10. I did decent on the DAT, scoring 22AA 24 TS and 20 PAT. I have average shadowing experience and below average extracurricular stuff. I'm going to be getting my masters degree this year, and hopefully go right into dental school without a lag year. What do you think my chances are?

I'm only applying to like 6 schools (NYU, TUFTS... you know the "easier" schools) because I dont want to waste so much this year since I wont get my masters grades in so... yea. You can be brutually honest, what are my chances?

ALSO, do you think I should put USC or UoP on my appication. I can only have one or the other, and both accept about 44 students from out of state (im not a california resident). People say USC is harder for out of staters though, so I'm having a hard decision between those two.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Read the 3.0 club and post this there. These threads are annoying. Best of luck.

I think you'll get in (I'm 90% sure) if you apply broadly to a lot of those private schools in large cities as well as your state public school (and also University of Pacific, which likes DAT scores).

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you'll get in (I'm 90% sure) if you apply broadly to a lot of those private schools in large cities as well as your state public school (and also University of Pacific, which likes DAT scores).

Do you or anyone think UoP is a better choice to apply for than USC. I was looking through a lot of school stats and posts from the previous couple years and I noticed for the past two years the stats USC gave its interviewers was that everyone being interviewed had between 3.2-4.0 (no one below 3.2 :( ) but DAt range was 15-28. USC seems to interview a lot of lower stat individuals but it also seems very random, lots of 24 AA + rejected, according to predents anyways. And yes, no need to direct me to predents ive already looked it over numerous times, alots of good stats, bad stats, stats that are made up, and stats that are obviously missing.

Apply to both USC and UoP. Problem solved.

FYI: UoP stated on their website that students should shoot for 20's on their DAT in order to be "competitive."

Your DAT scores are really good. Apply to many schools. You never know that you get accepted somewhere.

I too have heard Uop likes high DAT scores and will look favorably on upward trends even in gpa is lower. I say apply where you fit in best.

I was going to say USC is very easy to get in, but since you are out of state, maybe not.. But still, it is easier than UoP in my opinion.

Good luck.

UoP looks for semesters in which you took 3 or more science classes. Even with a high DAT, poor or average academic performance in this situation probably won't get you in. At least this is the conversation I had with a UoP admissions counselor. If you have extra $/time for applying, might as well I suppose. Best of luck.

that's interesting kada. It sounds simular to what some students who went to their work shop told me - although they did mention that they were more forgiving with respect to gpa for a high dat (i'm talking in the range of 3.2-3.4). Maybe i'm misinformed.

Read the 3.0 club and post this there. These threads are annoying. Best of luck.

not as annoying as elitist chumps. cool your jets. if you're looking for a DAT tutor to help you out with your sciences, PM that cat, maybe he'll help you out.

Last edited:
Do you or anyone think UoP is a better choice to apply for than USC. I was looking through a lot of school stats and posts from the previous couple years and I noticed for the past two years the stats USC gave its interviewers was that everyone being interviewed had between 3.2-4.0 (no one below 3.2 :( ) but DAt range was 15-28. USC seems to interview a lot of lower stat individuals but it also seems very random, lots of 24 AA + rejected, according to predents anyways. And yes, no need to direct me to predents ive already looked it over numerous times, alots of good stats, bad stats, stats that are made up, and stats that are obviously missing.

1st i think you should apply to more than 6 schools. you should apply to all of the private schools IMO. MWU, western, NOVA, tufts, case, uop, usc, nyu...all of them. UOP is a great fit on account they :love: dat crushers haha. you got a decent shot at getting in, good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
The most expensive thing isn't adding more schools to your application, it's not getting into any school. Apply to schools that put emphasis on DAT scores over GPA and any other ones that you like. Make sure that you drive in the fact that you're doing a master's and will finish this year. Not getting into school has already cost you the tuition of a master's and a year's income as a dentist, which combined most likely have run you over $150,000, do you really want to lose another year's income on top of that if you don't have to? Be smart and apply to more schools, the $1000-$2000 extra it could cost you to apply to more schools are peanuts in the long run. Candidates in your spot with an outside chance of getting in should apply to more schools not less to save some peanuts.

1st i think you should apply to more than 6 schools. you should apply to all of the private schools IMO. MWU, western, NOVA, tufts, case, uop, usc, nyu...all of them. UOP is a great fit on account they :love: dat crushers haha. you got a decent shot at getting in, good luck!

Thanks for the advice guys, its really helping me make my list and ponder more on whether to apply to more schools or save some money. The problem was I applied last year to 20 schools and didn't get in. Granted I submitted in october and didn't take the DAT until mid october.

The problem here is that I'm not sure how much of an impact applying late had on my application, and if I had applied earlier would I have gotten in somewhere? I'm bascially applying with the exact same stats, so its like if i apply to 20 schools again, will i throw another 2 grand down the drain? BUT since i applied late last year, maybe this 2 grand wont be wasted since im gonna apply 3 months earlier this year. The schools i talked to said the problem was the low sGPA which I kinda figured, none mentioned the application date.

i think ive ultimately decided not to gamble the money and only apply to 6 school I would have the highest shot at that I would like to attend and left off schools i either dont think i have as strong of a chance or i woudnt like to attend. i feel like if i dont get in this year, it wont be that much of a disappointment since someone in my position would normally wait until after getting their masters grades first, and ill just reapply next year with a very high GPA Masters degree and apply to like 30 school for a last chance effort which im certain i should get in at least somewhere (at least i hope). I really feel I would love a career in the dental field so If i dont get in then ill probably do dental hygiene or something :(

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys, its really helping me make my list and ponder more on whether to apply to more schools or save some money. The problem was I applied last year to 20 schools and didn't get in. Granted I submitted in october and didn't take the DAT until mid october.

The problem here is that I'm not sure how much of an impact applying late had on my application, and if I had applied earlier would I have gotten in somewhere? I'm bascially applying with the exact same stats, so its like if i apply to 20 schools again, will i throw another 2 grand down the drain? BUT since i applied late last year, maybe this 2 grand wont be wasted since im gonna apply 3 months earlier this year. The schools i talked to said the problem was the low sGPA which I kinda figured, none mentioned the application date.

i think ive ultimately decided not to gamble the money and only apply to 6 school I would have the highest shot at that I would like to attend and left off schools i either dont think i have as strong of a chance or i woudnt like to attend. i feel like if i dont get in this year, it wont be that much of a disappointment since someone in my position would normally wait until after getting their masters grades first, and ill just reapply next year with a very high GPA Masters degree and apply to like 30 school for a last chance effort which im certain i should get in at least somewhere (at least i hope). I really feel I would love a career in the dental field so If i dont get in then ill probably do dental hygiene or something :(

if you're determined to apply to only 6 schools definately apply to the newer private schools too. if i were you my list of 6 would be: western, MWU-IL, USC, UOP, NYU, Tufts. if you decided to spring for a couple extra, i would go Southern Utah, NOVA, and MWU-AZ

UoP looks for semesters in which you took 3 or more science classes. Even with a high DAT, poor or average academic performance in this situation probably won't get you in. At least this is the conversation I had with a UoP admissions counselor. If you have extra $/time for applying, might as well I suppose. Best of luck.

Right now, we do like HIGH dats on the 20's or above side of the fence. Definitely apply to Pacific. Like he said, with a lower GPA score. It will make you look better to have that STRONG upward trend in your GPA performance. Meaning taking full load per quarter/semester and do well. By well I mean like hitting the Dean's list well or a 3.5 or above CONSISTENTLY and not 4.0 1 semester and a 3.0 the next. Good luck

:thumbup:
Right now, we do like HIGH dats on the 20's or above side of the fence. Definitely apply to Pacific. Like he said, with a lower GPA score. It will make you look better to have that STRONG upward trend in your GPA performance. Meaning taking full load per quarter/semester and do well. By well I mean like hitting the Dean's list well or a 3.5 or above CONSISTENTLY and not 4.0 1 semester and a 3.0 the next. Good luck

Hey Peerless, what class do you belong to? r u starting D1 this fall?
If you don't mind, what is your DAT and GPA/GPA trend before you applied to UOP and when you submitted you AADSAS application.
Thank you

Last edited:
if you're determined to apply to only 6 schools definately apply to the newer private schools too. if i were you my list of 6 would be: western, MWU-IL, USC, UOP, NYU, Tufts. if you decided to spring for a couple extra, i would go Southern Utah, NOVA, and MWU-AZ

This advice applies to me too, I've been searching for this info, thanks Oracle. You're da bomb, as usual!!! :)

If you don't mind, what is your DAT and GPA/GPA trend before you applied to UOP and when you submitted you AADSAS application.
Thank you

Click on his pre-dents link under his avatar....

Southern Utah? Do you mean Southern Illinois or somewhere different?

Thank you

I am already in D1, just finished my 1st week of school. With this new curriculum we're having....it's really a LOT less stressful than what the previous class is experiencing. Still....dental school is stressful. My DAT and everything I did you can just click on my predent. GPA trend.

GPA breakdown
1st yr - 3.01, 2.3
2nd yr - 3.12, 3.33
3rd yr - 3.67, 3.46
4th yr. 3.68, 4.0
5th yr - 4.0, 3.42
At least 14 units each semester.