This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

takeitlikeaman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in my last quarter of undergrad and my overall gpa is 3.4-3.5, science gpa is a 3.1 and my non science is about a 3.9. My grades have a weird trend because I do well in certain quarters and not so well in others. I applied to 8 schools last year but did not receive a single interview. I have taken the DAT twice, first time I took it after studying for two weeks (I know, it was a dumb idea) and the second time I focused more time on science than the other subjects. My scores from the retake are GC-20 OC-20 Bio- 20 RC-17 QR-15 PA-19 TS-20 AA-18. The application cycle is coming up in June and since last year I have taken some classes and added more community service and shadowing hours but I do not feel like this will be enough to get me interviews. So the question is what do I do to increase my chances? I am thinking about submitting my app in June and spending the summer studying hard and retaking the DAT a third time by September but will schools even see my new scores before they make a decision? Will taking the DAT a third time show schools my dedication to improve my scores or will it look bad? And if I do retake the DAT what would be score make me a competitive candidate with the grades I have? Any advice would help as I am stressed not knowing what the future holds beyond undergrad and Ive been working so hard for this.

Members don't see this ad.

I am in my last quarter of undergrad and my overall gpa is 3.4-3.5, science gpa is a 3.1 and my non science is about a 3.9. My grades have a weird trend because I do well in certain quarters and not so well in others. I applied to 8 schools last year but did not receive a single interview. I have taken the DAT twice, first time I took it after studying for two weeks (I know, it was a dumb idea) and the second time I focused more time on science than the other subjects. My scores from the retake are GC-20 OC-20 Bio- 20 RC-17 QR-15 PA-19 TS-20 AA-18. The application cycle is coming up in June and since last year I have taken some classes and added more community service and shadowing hours but I do not feel like this will be enough to get me interviews. So the question is what do I do to increase my chances? I am thinking about submitting my app in June and spending the summer studying hard and retaking the DAT a third time by September but will schools even see my new scores before they make a decision? Will taking the DAT a third time show schools my dedication to improve my scores or will it look bad? And if I do retake the DAT what would be score make me a competitive candidate with the grades I have? Any advice would help as I am stressed not knowing what the future holds beyond undergrad and Ive been working so hard for this.

I would take a gap, get the GPA up, and retake the DAT.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
That 15 in QR is definitely holding you back. I believe most schools cut-off is around 16, so I would retake as soon as possible. Your TS is great though! That's the hardest part!

I wouldn't say your GPA is the worst considering your overall GPA is pretty good but maybe taking some more science classes would show schools you are really trying as well as help boost your GPA.

Continue to do volunteer work and shadow if you can to also show schools you are dedicated.

Most importantly, I think you should be applying to at least 20 schools if you can afford it. Maybe even more just to be safe. Make sure to apply broadly and hit all the private schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That 15 in QR is definitely holding you back. I believe most schools cut-off is around 16, so I would retake as soon as possible. Your TS is great though! That's the hardest part!

I wouldn't say your GPA is the worst considering your overall GPA is pretty good but maybe taking some more science classes would show schools you are really trying as well as help boost your GPA.

Continue to do volunteer work and shadow if you can to also show schools you are dedicated.

Most importantly, I think you should be applying to at least 20 schools if you can afford it. Maybe even more just to be safe. Make sure to apply broadly and hit all the private schools.

I feel like I need higher than a 20 on my TS because of my gpa. My overall is alright but the science is most important and I feel like it is below avg. I am graduating in June so I won't have the option of taking more classes. Will taking the DAT in September be too late for this upcoming cycle even if everything else is in by June?

@takeitlikeaman

You can't delay your graduation to stay and take some extra classes? If not then can you try and take a couple of science classes at your local CC? Although your science GPA is low, there have been plenty of people who have gotten in with similar stats, but it would be better if you could get 21+ in science. I personally wouldn't take my DAT that late, but some people have done that. I would try and take it at the end of July or early August at the latest.

@takeitlikeaman

You can't delay your graduation to stay and take some extra classes? If not then can you try and take a couple of science classes at your local CC? Although your science GPA is low, there have been plenty of people who have gotten in with similar stats, but it would be better if you could get 21+ in science. I personally wouldn't take my DAT that late, but some people have done that. I would try and take it at the end of July or early August at the latest.

I already extended my graduation once but I can try and see if they'll do it again. The reason I am thinking about taking it that late is because I would start studying mid June after graduation and applications are submitted and I want to make sure I have enough time to master each section. I learned my lesson from trying to rush through the material. My fear is that a decision will be made before admissions can see my new scores and that will just push me back another year.

@takeitlikeaman

You can let the schools know that you're retaking the DAT so they'll hold off until your new scores are in, the problem is a lot of people will have received interviews by that time so I'm not sure how that'll play out. How many schools are you applying to?

@takeitlikeaman

You can let the schools know that you're retaking the DAT so they'll hold off until your new scores are in, the problem is a lot of people will have received interviews by that time so I'm not sure how that'll play out. How many schools are you applying to?

The main school I want to go to (in state) didn't start handing out interviews until September last year which is why I have hope that they will see it before making a decision on my app. I am thinking 10-15 schools this time around but I'm hoping it doesn't end up being a waste of money like last year was.

Retake DAT study real hard this time get a 22 and apply to 25 programs

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
retake your DAT earlier! September is too late and will hold you back.

retake your DAT earlier! September is too late and will hold you back.

But if I want to do well shouldn't I take my time to master it? If I take it at the end of July that will give me 5ish weeks to prepare. I will still receive secondaries because I will submit my old score but it's just letting schools know I will be submitting a new score later on and if they will see it in time

But if I want to do well shouldn't I take my time to master it? If I take it at the end of July that will give me 5ish weeks to prepare. I will still receive secondaries because I will submit my old score but it's just letting schools know I will be submitting a new score later on and if they will see it in time

By September most schools have filled out their interview slots. Considering this is your last shot at the DAT I wouldn't rush it, however if you wait until September there isn't really a point in applying this cycle.

Try to retake DAT before applying/early in cycle & aim for at least 21+ !

Try to retake DAT before applying/early in cycle & aim for at least 21+ !

I see we had similar stats minus the DAT score, what would you recommend doing during my time off besides retaking the DAT to make myself more competitive?

I see we had similar stats minus the DAT score, what would you recommend doing during my time off besides retaking the DAT to make myself more competitive?
I highly highly highly recommend getting into a dental office & getting as much experience as you can! I'm not sure what state you're in, but in CA you're not required to be certified to work as a dental assistant (just X-rays if the office wants you to take them) get on craigslist and search "dental assistant" until you find an office willing to train on the job. Most will require a few years of experience but you will find something if you're consistent! Even apply for some that do require experience and let them know you're applying to school and willing to learn. I know craigslist sounds weird but there's a lot of offices on there! If you can't find anything, volunteer at a clinic like MENDS or other local clinics. I would also reach out to professors for letters in advance and let them know exactly what you would like it to say. Experience & letter definitely helped me out a lot! Best of luck!

DAT needs to be a 19 min. Boost your GPA by bost-bacc and retake your DAT. Or apply for one of these dental post-bacc programs.

Unless you don't mind wasting money, applying again with the intention of retaking the DAT in September won't really increase your chances of getting into dental school this cycle. If you insist on applying while also retaking the DAT this year, I think you have to aim for a 21AA+ and get it done by July at the latest for a small, but decent shot at getting interviews.

IMO, your best bet is to take another year off, take a few high level science courses to bump your sGPA to a ~3.3. You'll also have more time to study for the DAT this way too, so you can hopefully ace it this time around. Don't worry about DAT retakes. Yes, it shows schools that you're determined as long as they see an upward trend.

Best of luck~

Getting a high GPA is like having good handwriting IMO. Most people can do it because there are buffers in the GPA like "Speech Class" "Plant Biology". The DAT is an objective standard of perseverance and critical thinking. I would take the DAT one more time and if that does not work consider another field. There is no such thing as being a bad test taker but hey maybe shoot for Lecom.

I've heard alot of good things about reborn chances from masters programs/ post bacs, but that would be the worst case scenario. I'd say you're in a better spot than me though lol, so keep trying! It's never impossible for anyone!

Unless you don't mind wasting money, applying again with the intention of retaking the DAT in September won't really increase your chances of getting into dental school this cycle. If you insist on applying while also retaking the DAT this year, I think you have to aim for a 21AA+ and get it done by July at the latest for a small, but decent shot at getting interviews.

IMO, your best bet is to take another year off, take a few high level science courses to bump your sGPA to a ~3.3. You'll also have more time to study for the DAT this way too, so you can hopefully ace it this time around. Don't worry about DAT retakes. Yes, it shows schools that you're determined as long as they see an upward trend.

Best of luck~
I think I'm leaning towards taking another year off so that I can spend more time studying for the DAT, do more community service and either work as a dental assistant or take some more science classes. My last year was a big downward trend with grades so I feel like I need to get a 23 AA minimum to get interviews. Thanks for the advice everyone!

This is tough. I've definitely seen people get accepted with 16 QR. Most schools consider QR the least important (there's a DS poll thread somewhere, and I've seen the correlations). Your TS and AA are fine. RC could be a problem though as many schools consider that a very important section. Wish it were 18 RC & 16 QR.

While I think it would be a sweet victory to get a 22 on everything and waltz into DS as some have suggested, this would be your third time taking it (as you've pointed out). If it were me, I would hold off on taking the DAT for one additional cycle (or at least give myself time to study like a maniac for 3-4 months). It depends on how easy it is to petition for a 4th try. I think your GPA is fine too.

Did you apply in June on the cycle that you got 0 interviews?

I'd apply early, broad, and with an emphasis on private schools.

PS: Applying to only 8 schools was definitely a mistake. Make sure to research whether the schools are OOS friendly. Don't forget about the newest NY school (Touro wasn't on the last ADEA guide and I screwed up by not knowing about it).

Last edited:
This is tough. I've definitely seen people get accepted with 16 QR. Most schools consider QR the least important (there's a DS poll thread somewhere, and I've seen the correlations). Your TS and AA are fine. RC could be a problem though as many schools consider that a very important section. Wish it were 18 RC & 16 QR.

While I think it would be a sweet victory to get a 22 on everything and waltz into DS as some have suggested, this would be your third time taking it (as you've pointed out). If it were me, I would hold off on taking the DAT for one additional cycle (or at least give myself time to study like a maniac for 3-4 months). It depends on how easy it is to petition for a 4th try. I think your GPA is fine too.

Did you apply in June on the cycle that you got 0 interviews?

I'd apply early, broad, and with an emphasis on private schools.

PS: Applying to only 8 schools was definitely a mistake. Make sure to research whether the schools are OOS friendly. Don't forget about the newest NY school (Touro wasn't on the last ADEA guide and I screwed up by not knowing about it).

Yeah I am going to wait a cycle before taking the DAT again so that I can give myself a good 3-4 months to grind out for it. My advisor said the problem with my grades is that the most recent ones are the worst and it shows a downward trend which schools will hold against me which is why I feel like I need to take the DAT again to have a shot and probably add work experience in the field.

Last cycle I only applied to schools I read were out of state friendly but did not receive any interviews. And thank you! I did not know about that school but I will do some research on it!