3.25 cgpa career changer- not worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postdocconfusion22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm starting to feel really discouraged. I graduated English degree after going through a difficult time and grade deflation (though I'm learning that this isn't factored in to admissions). I haven't taken any sciences and I'd like to maybe do a career changer post bac. It seems like I've already screwed myself over with my 3.25 cgpa.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your dreams are not destroyed. They are only slightly delayed.
Do a post bacc or even an SMP and ensure that your MCAT and other aspects are solid.

Also, since you have not taken any major science courses, make it your goal to have an amazing science GPA. This means you need to reevaluate your study habits.

Post-bacc and or SMP work+ A good showing on the MCAT and you can be a competitive candidate. In your case, you need to take your pre-reqs be it at a formal program or your state school. Once you start taking a few pre-reqs and see how you are doing you can evaluate whether or not this is a path you want to pursue.

You are hardly alone in your spot; many people who go to top schools with ruthless competition come out of it with less than desirable GPA's for MD purposes. There are ways of fixing that. As is, if your goal is to be a physician you are competitive for DO programs with a decent showing in your pre-reqs.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey OP, don't be discouraged! I graduated with a 3.27 cGPA, so not unlike yours. I did a short postbacc (only 8 classes) and was able to raise my cGPA to just shy of 3.4. I'm standing at 8 interview invites right now, with one at a top 20 school. If you put in the time and effort to raise your grades and take the pre-reqs, you should be fine!

Reactions: 1 user
3.25 isn't even bad. You obviously need a postbacc because you need the pre-reqs, but I would probably just go with a DIY over a formal postbacc (whichever is cheaper for you).

Theoretically if you were to score an A on all the core pre-reqs and achieve an 80th+ percentile MCAT, your cGPA would barely be a blip.

Are you going to Top 10? Probably not without a cancer cure; but you can still become a doctor.

Also worth noting that there are schools which tend to reward reinvention. Some go so far as to replace your GPA with your postbacc GPA if you meet certain criteria.
Finally, if you do decently on the MCAT, DO is absolutely a viable route for you.
And, of course, if you rock the MCAT, you may be surprised at how many doors open for you!