3.3 GPA: MD, DO, PA chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jane124

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am a rising Junior. I have a 3.3 GPA. I recieved a D in chem 2 and retook it and got a B. I also received an F in Organic Chemistry 1 so I retook it and got a C. I know these are two major science courses that I had to retake and because of this I completely discounted myself as a candidate for medschool even though its been my dream. I am very active in extra curriculars. I teach an english class for foreign exchange students and I tutor at the writing center on campus. Additionally I am VP of an organization on campus. As for clinical hours I am an EMT, and this summer I volunteer at a hospital too. I've shadowed doctors and I know I have professors who would write me great recommendations.

I havent taken the MCATs but I dont know if it is feasible at this point to go to medical school if my GPA is this low and I have retaken two classes.

What should I do? Do I have a shot at MD still or should I try for DO or PA?
Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You have a chance for DO school if your sGPA is above 3.0 and you can score at least 500 on the MCAT. So concentrate on raising your sGPA and cGPA and study hard for the MCAT when you take it next year. Do not take the MCAT until your practice scores are above 505.