This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MedSchoolHopeful56

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

This is my first time posting (read quite a lot of threads). I'll be applying to med school in the fall and just wanted to know what my chances are. (All thoughts/comments/tips/etc are greatly appreciated!)

My stats:
Michigan resident
3.3 cGPA, 3.35 sGPA Biology major, Chem and Psych minors (my psych minor I did after I was done with my bio major (but did not officially apply for graduation so it still was part of my undergrad...let me know if that didn't make any sense)
Graduated in 3 years
ED Scribe for 1 year (~1000 hours)
2 years experience working in the admitting department at a hospital (~2500 hours) where we had to register patients and also go to the floors weekly and talk to patients
~10,000 high school volunteer hours (these don't count right?)
Leadership experience: president of univ organization (1 yr) and executive board member of 2 orgs for 3 years; also, honors mentor for 2 years
3 years tutoring (kids to college students)
I researched for 2 years on (made platinum-based drugs and then tested them on cancer cells). I don't have any publications but I presented twice at my university symposiums.
519 MCAT

The reason my gpa is so low is because since I'm the only child of my older-than-average parents, I have had to spend time at home with them instead of attending classes. My second year of college was worst because my father had a stroke. Also, my best friend (international student) had lost her sister back home so I had to spend significant time consoling her. These are not excuses I just want to give as much info about me as I can.

I'm not part of URM but I'm the first college graduate in my family and my parents and I are immigrants, just to give more background about me. I didn't have any help paying my way through college (I worked full time while taking my classes).

What are my chances of getting into an MD school (and which ones should I apply to?) I can't really afford to do an SMP or post-bacc...

Thanks in advance! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
you have no chance with that MCAT score, sorry

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That was surprisingly entertaining. Lol

Invest in MSaR online and Target schools for whom your gpas are closest to the school's median, and above their 10th percentile.

A very careful attention to the in-state vs. Out of state matriculation percentages

Your chances will be best with all Michigan schools.

I think you will need to have some DO schools on your list.

I suggest all these schools with your stats:
Central Michigan
Michigan State
Wayne State
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Toledo
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
George Washington
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
NOVA MD
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Creighton
Also apply to at least 6 DO schools and include MSUCOM and MU-COM.
It is important to apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July

Status
Not open for further replies.