MD 3.4 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm in a similar situation, my GPA dropped a good bit when I was a Math major ( it was VERY hard), and my cGPA is 3.48 at the moment, I'm trying my best to get that sucker up to a 3.5. The problem is, and this could be a problem for you too depending on which medical schools you want to apply to, is that my sGPA is still a 3.3 ( trying to get that up to a 3.33) since math counts as a science. What is your sGPA? Also, having a backup plan has provided me with some relief, like in case you don't do so hot on your MCAT or your GPA is mostly sticking around that area, you could apply DO, there is nothing wrong with that, or take a gap year and do an SMP or grade forgiveness (if you thought DO was a feasible route or if you didn't do stellar on the MCAT perhaps) to bump the GPA up, or even do something clinical in a gap year. The bad news is, it seems med schools care about upward trends, and it seems like you have a steady downward trend in GPA. If you believe your senior year grades will save you, taking a gap year is not a bad idea. What schools are you trying to apply to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I'm sorry, I read that part fast ( in VR prep mode for MCAT) I thought you said freshman year... No, then that's a definite plus for you!

Your 3.4 GPA is a bit low, but you can work with it. How's your science GPA? Keep up the upward trend and try to raise them both to at least a 3.5.

Aside from research, your activities look pretty good! You don't 'have' to take a gap year, but it definitely wouldn't hurt. It would give you more time to raise your GPA, give you additional time to study for the MCAT if needed (ex. could study/take it over the summer), and give you time to do some research before you have to apply. Your main priorities are definitely getting good grades and doing well on the MCAT. Research would be a very good addition to your application, so I hope you can make that work. Lastly, don't forget about letters of recommendation. Good luck!