MD 3.5 GPA chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jto13me

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a sophomore doing bioelectrical engineering ( a combination of biomedical and electrical engineering) and have a 3.5 GPA. I am also doing a neuroscience minor, doing research that will soon be published, have an executive board position, volunteer weekly (~4 hours per week), and will soon have MD shadowing experience.

I know I have time to raise my GPA to about a 3.6-3.7, but if I were to graduate with this GPA would this hold me back with applying to medical schools. I have had a heavy courseload since freshmen year due to me taking junior level courses for my neuroscience minor, and all of this while doing research. Does this help kinda "explain" my GPA?

My current dream medical school is MCW. And their average GPA is 3.78. SO I am a bit worried.

Another thing is that I am also collaborating with a professor at MCW about my research. And will be working there this upcoming summer.

I am of course going to keep working hard to raise my GPA, but I am curious incase I am unable to do so.

Members don't see this ad.

A 3.5 GPA is a bit low, but definitely not lethal, try to raise to 3.6+ and score well on your MCAT to offset.

A 3.5 GPA is a bit low, but definitely not lethal, try to raise to 3.6+ and score well on your MCAT to offset.
Do you think MCW would take into account the courses I have taken, and research I am going to publish? I have been taking 18 credits of only science classes for two semesters now

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think MCW would take into account the courses I have taken, and research I am going to publish? I have been taking 18 credits of only science classes for two semesters now
They will review your app as a whole, so they will notice, both rigor of schedule and research are factors considered. However, GPA and MCAT top both of those by quite a bit, especially at MD schools.

They will review your app as a whole, so they will notice, both rigor of schedule and research are factors considered. However, GPA and MCAT top both of those by quite a bit, especially at MD schools.
Ok, I still have about four semesters to raise my GPA, and this semester is going well. Thank you for your input.