3.55 cGPA 3.45 sGPA 505 mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tkc33

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you ask me I think you'll struggle without a solid story. Many others on here will say you're fine for DO, but I'm not convinced they know what they're talking about. Personally, I'd retake the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you meet Duluth’s mission it’s worth your time to apply there. Otherwise DO is your best bet, md programs besides Duluth won’t love your stats. Maybe north Dakota - I know nothing about their applicants but they’re loyal to people from ND and MN.

Reactions: 1 user
Your stat good for DO schools, maybe also re-apply to your in-state MD school?

If you ask me I think you'll struggle without a solid story. Many others on here will say you're fine for DO, but I'm not convinced they know what they're talking about. Personally, I'd retake the MCAT.

No. His numbers are more than fine for DO. Yes they should apply to 10-15 schools, but they should get in one with a good interview/essays

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Your stat good for DO schools, maybe also re-apply to your in-state MD school?
Yeah that's the plan. Hopefully I get pulled from the waitlist, but nothing is guaranteed so I gotta start the process all over.

OPs stats are not a risk of doing poorly in med school. Those numbers are at the 25th %iles for a fair number of schools.

Reactions: 1 users
No. His numbers are more than fine for DO. Yes they should apply to 10-15 schools, but they should get in one with a good interview/essays

OPs stats are not a risk of doing poorly in med school. Those numbers are at the 25th %iles for a fair number of schools.

Is it me or do you two see an MCAT score I don't. The rest is fluff and @Goro, nothing I've ever seen says this correlates with success in medical school; even the MCAT is a poor predictor. Someone please educate me where this confidence is coming from?

Is it me or do you two see an MCAT score I don't. The rest is fluff and @Goro, nothing I've ever seen says this correlates with success in medical school; even the MCAT is a poor predictor. Someone please educate me where this confidence is coming from?
Right in the title is an MCAT score at 505. That is a fine score.

How much experience do you have actually teaching medical students? I've taught both MD and DO students and the OP's numbers are fine to handle medical school.

I agree that it's going to be hard to get into medical school, but one does not need a 4.0 GPA to be able to thrive in medical school. I see this all the time with my students, and others with theirs.

When one gets down below 3.2 GPA, and or below 500 on the MCAT, then one is at greater risk for struggling in medical school.

There's a lot of published data to show that the MCAT is a weak predictor, at best for success in medical school,

there is data to show that when one struggles with the MCAT then one is more at risk in medical school.

Last edited:
Right in the title is an MCAT score at 505. That is a fine score.

How much experience do you have actually teaching medical students? I've taught both MD and DO students and the OP's numbers are fine to handle medical school.

I agree that it's going to be hard to get into medical school, but one does not need a 4.0 GPA to be able to thrive in medical school. I see this all the time with my students, and others with theirs.

When one gets down below 3.2 GPA, and or below 500 on the MCAT, then one is at greater risk for struggling in medical school.

There's a lot of published data to show that the MCAT is a weak predictor, at best for success in medical school,

there is data to show that when one struggles with the MCAT then one is more at risk in medical school.

Totally missed it.

I guess I've been reading the same things you are; we can see who is and isn't getting in, nothing does predicts successfully once there. Granted there is a little magic in the graduation numbers, mature graduation rate, but pretty safe bet if you get in.

So, sounds like you agree the missions etc. are fluff.

Totally missed it.

I guess I've been reading the same things you are; we can see who is and isn't getting in, nothing does predicts successfully once there. Granted there is a little magic in the graduation numbers, mature graduation rate, but pretty safe bet if you get in.

I don't understand how they can be just "fluff" if they are experiences that I can draw from and can talk about how they shaped me as a future provider.

I'm sorry @Tkc33, your personal interests and passions have been deemed irrelevant by a bystander. You should immediately rethink your life and, apparently, find things you care about that have more "substance". ;)

Totally missed it.

It's far easier to predict failure in med school than success!

I don't understand how they can be just "fluff" if they are experiences that I can draw from and can talk about how they shaped me as a future provider.

I'm sorry @Tkc33, your personal interests and passions have been deemed irrelevant by a bystander. You should immediately rethink your life and, apparently, find things you care about that have more "substance". ;)

I know it's difficult, but try to stay focused. I'm sorry, but almost everyone who applies to medical has and says these things. Do you actually think for a minute saying, "how they shaped me as a future provider" will get you anywhere? That statement in the list of don't says. You will need to do better or you will need to rethink your life.

Java ended with a salient thought in fairness, it wouldn't matter if your favorite thing was ice cream if you sell it; hence it's all fluff without the right spin. Truth only hurts when your wrong.

I know it's difficult, but try to stay focused. I'm sorry, but almost everyone who applies to medical has and says these things. Do you actually think for a minute saying, "how they shaped me as a future provider" will get you anywhere? That statement in the list of don't says. You will need to do better or you will need to rethink your life.

Java ended with a salient thought in fairness, it wouldn't matter if your favorite thing was ice cream if you sell it; hence it's all fluff without the right spin. Truth only hurts when your wrong.
Look man, I was just looking for some possible suggestions on places to apply. If you would rather just cut people down you can do that on a different thread.

Apply to U of ND just because you lived there and they might show you some love. Also apply to the minnesota state schools, because you never know. Youre good for pretty much any DO school, and thats where youll likely have the most success. Apply to 10+ schools and youll be good.

An update to whomever may look at this thread in the future. I was accepted to both Minnesota-Duluth and U of North Dakota. I was also able to get an acceptance at a DO school and receive several other DO interviews. Hard work does pay off eventually!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

An update to whomever may look at this thread in the future. I was accepted to both Minnesota-Duluth and U of North Dakota. I was also able to get an acceptance at a DO school and receive several other DO interviews. Hard work does pay off eventually!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Congratulations! I guess explaining how your experiences will make you an excellent provider wasn’t “fluff.” Good luck!