3.61cGPA 518 MCAT Asian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sykuno

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello All,

I'm an Asian applicant with a 3.61 cGPA and 518MCAT. What would be my chances at MD and DO programs (NYIT specifically)? I will be applying this June of my senior year. Not sure if it's applicable but my major is Biology and Applied Math. I'm a NY applicant applying to all New York state schools definitely, and would like recommendations on schools I have a good shot at. I would also like any advice on gaps in my application.

In terms of extracurriculars I have:

200 Hours Shadowing
250 Hours Clinical Volunteering
4 semesters Peer Tutor
1 year EMT (continuing through my "gap year")
1 year research (continuing through my "gap year") (no publications)
4 semesters Teaching assistant
4 semester club (Community Outreach Coordinator) (Volunteering based)
1.5 Resident Assistant
6 semesters club (President)
4 Semesters club (Vice President)

Really appreciate any and all feedback!
 
Application looks pretty good. Might not be necessary to apply DO, but if you're interested in NY DO schools like NYIT and Touro, by all means apply. Applying to all New York schools is a good idea, even Columbia/Cornell/NYU/Sinai.

Some schools to consider are as follows:

All schools in NY State (including the Manhattan ones, Rochester, Einstein, Hofstra, etc).
Pitt
Case Western
Emory
Duke
UVA

After that, look on MSAR and search for schools where you are above the 10th percentile GPA but below the 90th percentile MCAT.
 
I suggest the following. Nothing wrong with aiming high; the ones I have in bold are schools where your GPA is 0.2-3 points below their median, and your MCAT is ~ the same as the school avg. Thus, proceed with caution on these, but I feel you're in striking distance for some.



U VM
U Toledo (maybe)
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
MCW
Loyola
Emory
BU
Mayo (both)
Duke
Case
JHU
Pitt
Northwestern
NYU
Vanderbilt
Mt Sinai
Columbia

Hofstra.
Oakland B
Western MI
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
All SUNYs.



Hello All,

I'm an Asian applicant with a 3.61 cGPA and 518MCAT. What would be my chances at MD and DO programs (NYIT specifically)? I will be applying this June of my senior year. Not sure if it's applicable but my major is Biology and Applied Math. I'm a NY applicant applying to all New York state schools definitely, and would like recommendations on schools I have a good shot at. I would also like any advice on gaps in my application.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't think you need to apply DO, unless you really want to. It's a separate application system, and your stats are definitely competitive for many MD schools. You have a pretty cookie-cutter application with a somewhat weak GPA (but very strong MCAT), so I wouldn't expect a ton of IIs from top-20 schools--but you never know!

I strongly recommend submitting secondaries for 20-25 schools, including all 13 schools in NY state. As for the others, pick a few from Goro's list. I had a similar application and stats and I was very successful with the SUNYs this cycle. Good luck!