3.75 cGPA, 3.74 sGPA, 511 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweepsingle33

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I just got my MCAT scores back, and I am debating whether I should add any schools to my application list. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

cGPA 3.75
sGPA 3.69
MCAT: 511 (CP 129, CARS 127, Bio 128, Psy 127)

Florida Resident

Research:
  • Did a 1 year research internship at Florida Hospital involving cervical pain treatment (~200 hrs; no publications)
Athletics:
  • Wrestled for my college for all 4 years (20-30 hrs/wk during the season; ~2500 hrs)
  • Captain during my Junior and Senior years
  • Numerous athletic awards including All-American Honors and Academic All-American Honors during my Sophomore and Senior Seasons. (I had a knee injury that required surgery my Junior year that ended my season prematurely which is addressed in my personal statement)
Clinical Volunteering:
  • Volunteered at a Free Clinic during the Summer after my Junior year (2015) (~100 hours)
Shadowing:
  • Shadowed an Orthopaedic Surgeon (~20 hours)
  • Shadowed a Primary Care Sports Medicine Physician (~60 hours)
  • Shadowed an Interventional Radiologist (~6 hours) (part of my research internship)
Non-Clinical Volunteering
  • Volunteered as a youth coach (ages 7-17) at the USA Wrestling Regional Training Center near my university (~100 hours over 2 1/2 years)
  • Volunteered at a local Foodshare for the homeless sponsored by my University (~108 hours over a 1 year period)
Additional Extracurriculars/Work:
  • Served as a vTA in the undergraduate Anatomy Lab for 2 semesters (~84 hours)
  • Worked at Disney the Summer after my Freshman Year
LOR:
  • 2 from science professors (Organic chemistry and pathophysiology professors)
  • 1 from non-science professor (Professor I had for fundamentals of nutrition and professionalism in healthcare class)
  • 1 from wrestling coach
  • 1 from shadowed physician
Current List of Schools:

MD

UF (complete 8/26)
Miami (complete 9/12)
USF (complete 8/25)
UCF (complete 9/2)
FIU (complete 9/6)
FAU (complete 9/1)
FSU (complete 9/19)
GWU (never completed)
Georgetown (never completed)
Penn State (complete 9/13)
Western Michigan University (complete 9/13)

Edit: added Rosalind Franklin University (complete 9/20) and Oakland (complete 9/19)

DO

Nova Southeastern University (complete 9/6)
LECOM - Bradenton (II)
Kansas City University (complete 9/11)

Edit: I have been working full-time as an ER scribe since August and have also been volunteering as an assistant wrestling coach at a local high school

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Apply to all your Florida MD schools (including Miami) and you should receive several interviews. Are there any OOS schools you are interested in?

Apply to all your Florida MD schools (including Miami) and you should receive several interviews. Are there any OOS schools you are interested in?
Yes I applied to a few OOS (listed in post), but was unsure whether I would be competitive at some of the higher tier schools (Emory, Brown, Dartmouth, Mayo).

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I applied to a few OOS (listed in post), but was unsure whether I would be competitive at some of the higher tier schools (Emory, Brown, Dartmouth, Mayo).
You could receive an interview at any of the schools on your list with your stats. The higher tier schools you mentioned are all reaches but it is fine to apply to a few reaches if you have a strong interest in a particular school.

Update: the sGPA listed was for my AACOMAS. My AMCAS just finished verification and my sGPA for AMCAS is 3.69. Also, does anyone have any recommendations for any additional OOS schools?

Last edited:
Wake Forest or EVMS maybe? Do you prefer staying in the south?

Wake Forest or EVMS maybe? Do you prefer staying in the south?
I don't mind too much. I would like to stay in FL, but if I end up needing to go OOS it doesn't really matter to me whether I'm in the south or up north.

Last edited:
Youre a good candidate for the programs in your state but you can add several more OOS friendly schools with an MCAT median around 32 that get <11k apps if you want for assurance(ie Creighton Oakland etc ).
I might broaden the list through that avenue and if you do that I dont think there's a need for DO schools.

Hello everyone,

so now that the interview cycle has ended I thought I would share my results this application cycle for anecdotal data for the SDN community.

DO:
  • I received interviews and acceptances without waitlists to LECOM and KCUMB.
MD:
  • I received interviews at UCF, FIU, and FAU.
  • I am currently waitlisted at all of these schools.
  • UCF has updated me and informed me that I am in the upper half of the middle one-third of their waitlist. From what their update email has said the first four years the school was open everyone from the upper half of the middle one third was eventually offered a seat. The past two years everyone except for a few people in this position was eventually offered a seat.
  • FIU and FAU does not share waitlist information with applicants.

So as of now I will be attending KCUMB unless I am removed from one of the other waitlists. I really liked what I saw at my interview at KCUMB am very grateful/happy with my opportunity to attend. I will update this thread if I am offered a seat from any of the waitlists.

Edit: I forgot to mention in my original post that I had an IA related to alcohol during my junior year of college. I was 21 at the time and a campus police officer pulled me over while I was walking to a bar near my undergrad campus after I had been drinking. I didn't drive or anything. Anyways, he asked me if I had been drinking then let me on my way and reported me to campus disciplinary services. I just had to write an essay about what I learned. On my AMCAS I just wrote a paragraph about how what I did was stupid and what I learned from it. Not sure if this affected my application or not but it didn't seem to be a big deal. None of my interviewers brought it up. I was pretty nervous about it when sending out my application, so to those with minor IA it is certainly not the kiss of death lol.

Reactions: 2 users
:clap::clap::clap::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::love::love::highfive::highfive::highfive::=|:-)::=|:-)::=|:-)::biglove::biglove::banana::banana::banana:

Hello everyone,

so now that the interview cycle has ended I thought I would share my results this application cycle for anecdotal data for the SDN community.

DO:
  • I received interviews and acceptances without waitlists to LECOM and KCUMB.
MD:
  • I received interviews at UCF, FIU, and FAU.
  • I am currently waitlisted at all of these schools.
  • UCF has updated me and informed me that I am in the upper half of the middle one-third of their waitlist. From what their update email has said the first four years the school was open everyone from the upper half of the middle one third was eventually offered a seat. The past two years everyone except for a few people in this position was eventually offered a seat.
  • FIU and FAU does not share waitlist information with applicants.

So as of now I will be attending KCUMB unless I am removed from one of the other waitlists. I really liked what I saw at my interview at KCUMB am very grateful/happy with my opportunity to attend. I will update this thread if I am offered a seat from any of the waitlists.

Edit: I forgot to mention in my original post that I had an IA related to alcohol during my junior year of college. I was 21 at the time and a campus police officer pulled me over while I was walking to a bar near my undergrad campus after I had been drinking. I didn't drive or anything. Anyways, he asked me if I had been drinking then let me on my way and reported me to campus disciplinary services. I just had to write an essay about what I learned. On my AMCAS I just wrote a paragraph about how what I did was stupid and what I learned from it. Not sure if this affected my application or not but it didn't seem to be a big deal. None of my interviewers brought it up. I was pretty nervous about it when sending out my application, so to those with minor IA it is certainly not the kiss of death lol.

Reactions: 1 user