MD 3.79sGPA, 3.79cGPA... School list help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

typicaltaylor15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I plan on applying this cycle and take my MCAT on June 2nd. However, I do not know how to come up with a list of schools without knowing my MCAT score. Can you guys help me come up with some schools that I would be competitive for with these stats? Thank you!

Year in school:
Junior

Country/state of residence: GA

Research: Been doing it for over an year. 2 poster presentations, 1 conference, no publications.

Volunteering (clinical) – Hospital (150hrs for 2+ years), Hospice (70hrs for 2 years), Volunteer clinics (60hrs for 1 year)

Physician shadowing – ENT (40 hrs), Neurology (35 hrs), Ophthalmology (2 docs, 25 each)

Non-clinical volunteering: Service projects around my college town (30+ hrs)

Extracurricular activities: Resident Assistant (3yr), Career Service Associate (2 yr), Student Justice (1yr), Historian for a cultural club (1yr), Leadership position on Student-led service club (1yr)

Employment history:
TA for 1 semester, and I will be looking for a job for my senior year.

Members don't see this ad.

However, I do not know how to come up with a list of schools without knowing my MCAT score.

Well that's the thing you cant really come up with a school list without an MCAT score.

In the meanwhile the best thing you can do is get MSAR. Look at schools median MCAT scores; when you get an MCAT score identify the schools that have a score cloest to yours. 27% of Georgia applicants matriculate IS which is a solid ratio(although that stat is inflated by Morehouse and I dont know if you have a profile that really fits Mercer's mission). A good target MCAT score is to get at or above the median of Medical College of Georgia's MCAT.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the reply!
Since I won't be getting my MCAT score back until July, should I only apply after my score comes back?
I was thinking about submitting the AMCAS after my test date, so about the 2nd or 3rd week of June... is that still possible?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply!
Since I won't be getting my MCAT score back until July, should I only apply after my score comes back?
I was thinking about submitting the AMCAS after my test date, so about the 2nd or 3rd week of June... is that still possible?

Submit one school in June as a "throwaway" school(ie one you arent interested in) per se while waiting for your MCAT. It will allow you to get your primary app processed faster once you have the score and submit.

Submit one school in June as a "throwaway" school(ie one you arent interested in) per se while waiting for your MCAT. It will allow you to get your primary app processed faster once you have the score and submit.

So I can go back during the first week of July and add schools so that the app will be sent to all of those schools?

So I can go back during the first week of July and add schools so that the app will be sent to all of those schools?
Yes, within a business day once you are verified.
Pre-writing secondaries will also speed up your applications and improve their quality.

OHH that clarifies it a lot! Thank you guys for your help!

Last edited:
Rather than a throwaway, why not just one that you are going to apply to regardless of your score (e.g state school)

Rather than a throwaway, why not just one that you are going to apply to regardless of your score (e.g state school)
Your best strategy is always a strong first application.
Re-applicants are viewed differently.

Your best strategy is always a strong first application.
Re-applicants are viewed differently.
Even if there's a minimal chance that I won't be satisfied with my mcat score on the basis of 15+ practices?

I always thought applying asap to schools was better?

Even if there's a minimal chance that I won't be satisfied with my mcat score on the basis of 15+ practices?

If you apply to a school in June it will take about a month for the primary to get processed give or take. So if you submit June 15 the primary gets in July 15, and you are verified July 15.

Now lets say you take the MCAT June 10. You get your score July 2oth. Let's say you applied to June to one throw away school. Now that you already verified it will take a much much shorter time for your next set of primaries to get completed. Let's say it takes until July 25 to get to those schools. You are talking about July 15th vs July 25th. It's a negligble difference(nobodys chances are decided being complete 10 days later), particularly when the difference is knowing your MCAT score vs not knowing it.

The key is that throw away app in June to get you verified by mid July. You cant really gague your chances or school list without an MCAT score period. There is no worse scenario than taking the MCAT in July, submitting primaries to all your state schools in June then realizing at the end of July you have a sub 506 score. Now a) if you wait until next cycle to apply you are reapplicant b) if you retake it will likely get there too late to make a difference. Which means you will again have a decent chance of being a reapplicant.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Yes, the earliest date possible can be achieved by applying early to a throwaway school, then adding appropriate schools when you get your score back. Once your transcript is verified (using the throwaway), additional schools can be added within a business day.

If you tank the MCAT, you've only lost the cost of one application and will not be a re-applicant anywhere but the throwaway school.

Reactions: 1 users
If you apply to a school in June it will take about a month for the primary to get processed give or take. So if you submit June 15 the primary gets in July 15, and you are verified July 15.

Now lets say you take the MCAT June 10. You get your score July 2oth. Let's say you applied to June to one throw away school. Now that you already verified it will take a much much shorter time for your next set of primaries to get completed. Let's say it takes until July 25 to get to those schools. You are talking about July 15th vs July 25th. It's a negligble difference(nobodys chances are decided being complete 10 days later), particularly when the difference is knowing your MCAT score vs not knowing it.

The key is that throw away app in June to get you verified by mid July. You cant really gague your chances or school list without an MCAT score period. There is no worse scenario than taking the MCAT in July, submitting primaries to all your state schools in June then realizing at the end of July you have a sub 506 score. Now a) if you wait until next cycle to apply you are reapplicant b) if you retake it will likely get there too late to make a difference. Which means you will again have a decent chance of being a reapplicant.
Thank you for the info I didn't know that at all!

Yes, the earliest date possible can be achieved by applying early to a throwaway school, then adding appropriate schools when you get your score back. Once your transcript is verified (using the throwaway), additional schools can be added within a business day.

If you tank the MCAT, you've only lost the cost of one application and will not be a re-applicant anywhere but the throwaway school.
I see! throwaway is definitely the best route then