MD 3.81 cGPA, 3.74 sGPA, 29- 12/7/10

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theA1doctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really don't care where I go, as long as it is an MD school. I have almost everything for EC's, shadowing, etc except below average research. TX resident

I applied to

Temple
Tulane
GWU
TAMU
TTU-Lubbock
TTU- El-paso
UTH
UTMB
UTHSC-San Antonio

I also ended up applying pretty late, TMDSAS marked my last item required on 10/11. What are my chances?, I have not heard anything from any school so far. I am not URM

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have a problem. That 7 in (PS?) is below the 10th %ile of acceptees for nearly all MD schools, even TX schools. I am afraid that you might garner some interviews, but then be wait listed. In this cycle, at least, you're just going to have to take it on the chin and see what shakes out. If you get rejected, be sure to contact Admissions deans and see if you can get some feedback.

You're fine for any DO program, including mine. So, in the worst-case scenario, either -retake the MCAT and improve, or try TCOM, among others.

The late app might also hurt. if so, apply June 1 in 2014.

I really don't care where I go, as long as it is an MD school. I have almost everything for EC's, shadowing, etc except below average research. TX resident

I applied to

Temple
Tulane
GWU
TAMU
TTU-Lubbock
TTU- El-paso
UTH
UTMB
UTHSC-San Antonio

I also ended up applying pretty late, TMDSAS marked my last item required on 10/11. What are my chances?, I have not heard anything from any school so far. I am not URM

You have a problem. That 7 in (PS?) is below the 10th %ile of acceptees for nearly all MD schools, even TX schools. I am afraid that you might garner some interviews, but then be wait listed. In this cycle, at least, you're just going to have to take it on the chin and see what shakes out. If you get rejected, be sure to contact Admissions deans and see if you can get some feedback.

You're fine for any DO program, including mine. So, in the worst-case scenario, either -retake the MCAT and improve, or try TCOM, among others.

The late app might also hurt. if so, apply June 1 in 2014.

The 7 is the usual suspect, Verbal reasoning. I just want an acceptance, ANYWHERE!, as long as it is an MD, don't want to go DO unless I have no choice. I do think it is a little unfair, for my application to tank because of one sub section on the MCAT, kinda makes all the hard work I have put in so far, irrelevant. Although sector9's graph says I have a 65% chance of acceptance, I still feel restless.

Members don't see this ad :)
The 7 is the usual suspect, Verbal reasoning. I just want an acceptance, ANYWHERE!, as long as it is an MD, don't want to go DO unless I have no choice. I do think it is a little unfair, for my application to tank because of one sub section on the MCAT, kinda makes all the hard work I have put in so far, irrelevant. Although sector9's graph says I have a 65% chance of acceptance, I still feel restless.
I don't blame you for being "restless" with a VS of 7, but every school doesn't consider specific subscores, so you might be OK. Since you've applied to so few schools, though, it's less likely you've hit one of them.

Regardless, it's always a good idea to live your application year as if you might need to reapply. So keep your grades up and continue with pertinent activities.

Unfortunately, life is unfair. Perverse too, since you have done well in your coursework and the other two sections of the MCAT. That said, if you go through MSAR and look at acceptees, <10% of them an any MD school have a MCAT VR of 7 or less. The sad truth is that for medical schools, it's a seller's market, and they can afford to ignore applicants like you.

The graph you're looking at is very misleading. The numbers are for the nationwide collective, and MD schools are not all equal. State schools in the South and Midwest have lower avg MCAT scores (with the VR avg still being > 7), and state schools favor their home team applicants. The four HBC schools also have lower avgs.

Again, see how this app cycle plays out, and do let us know how you fare.

I applied to

Temple
Tulane
GWU
TAMU
TTU-Lubbock
TTU- El-paso
UTH
UTMB
UTHSC-San Antonio

Have almost the exact credentials as you except 12 / 6 /12 (30) on the MCAT and was recently accepted into two MD programs. Just do what your doing my friend and make sure you rock your interviews if you get any.

Reactions: 1 user
Update: I got my first interview from a state school, even after applying so late. I was completed in October (remember this is TMDSAS, which opens a month before AMCAS). I should get more interviews next cycle by applying early. Hopefully this interview invite turns into an acceptance.

Update: I got my first interview from a state school, even after applying so late. I was completed in October (remember this is TMDSAS, which opens a month before AMCAS). I should get more interviews next cycle by applying early. Hopefully this interview invite turns into an acceptance.
Wishing you luck!