MD 3.85-3.9 cGPA and sGPA, 511, CA, white - School List Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BartleDoo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for looking at this!

1. 3.85-3.9 cGPA and sGPA, no trend
2. 511 (129 C/P, 125 CARS, 128 B/B, 129 P/S)
3. CA
4. white w/ no disadvantages
5. top public school
6. Clinical:
- 1000hrs ED scribe in underserved area (paid)
- 40 hours visiting inpatients

7. Shadowing:
- ~80hrs, 3 specialties

8. Research:
~350hrs biomed research w/ grad students. Involved in research design the whole time w/ no “grunt work.” 2 posters, no pubs

9. Non-clinical:
- ~600hrs health education volunteering group leader (w/ food pantry, mention this because I’m lacking activities that are specific to an underserved population)
- ~20hrs county public health advocate for my campus
- ~60hrs peer mentor (paid)
- ~1500+hrs job continued through college from high school (paid)
- ~500 hours camp counselor (paid)

10. half-marathons (training for a full), scuba diving, bowling, weight lifting (nothing impressive). Didn’t include them on my app. Should I add any of these activities on secondary apps?
11. Academic stuff (Dean’s list, President’s list) but didn’t include it on my app
12. Taking a gap year scribing, research, and public health summer stipend project. I did BAD on my MCAT given my practice tests. I’m applying to a lot of schools because I’m worried about my score and will definitely restudy/retake if I don’t get any love this cycle

Interested in: cardiology, pulmonology, primary care, public health (my personal statement emphasized my interest in public health)

1. USF Morsani
2. Emory
3. Mayo, WI
4. Dartmouth
5. Einstein
6. Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
7. Duke
8. Ohio State
9. USC
10. UC Davis
11. UCI
12. UCLA
13. UCSD
14. UCSF
15. George Washington
16. Georgetown
17. Miami
18. Loyola
19. Rush
20. Tufts
21. Oakland
22. St. Louis
23. Creighton
24. Albany Medical College
25. UNC
26. Wake Forest
27. Drexel
28. Penn State Hershey
29. T Jefferson
30. Temple
31. VCU
32. Medical College of Wisconsin
33. University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health

Tulane and NYMC require CASPer...

Again, thanks for the help and I’ll update this thread with the outcome of my cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Message me if you want a huge school list. I have similar stats. What I would say is that emory is very research based, and with your 511 mcat and basic research it won't cut it. UNC and UW are not the friendliest to OOS

Reactions: 1 user
UNC and U Wisconsin accept few non residents with your MCAT. You could add Tulane, Quinnipiac and NYMC.

Members don't see this ad :)
Message me if you want a huge school list. I have similar stats. What I would say is that emory is very research based, and with your 511 mcat and basic research it won't cut it. UNC and UW are not the friendliest to OOS

UNC and U Wisconsin accept few non residents with your MCAT. You could add Tulane, Quinnipiac and NYMC.

Thanks for the responses! I'll remove UW then. I'll keep Emory and UNC because they have a good public health programs and I guess there is a chance (one out of a million). And it's basic research as opposed to applied research; we're not looking at strawberry DNA lol! I should word it better.

What are your thoughts @gyngyn and @LizzyM ? Thanks for the help

Hi! would it be possible for you to please send me your school list? I have similar stats- lower gpa and am having difficulty deciding what schools to apply to.

Here is a more realistic list:

Duke
Hofstra
EDIT: ADD Einstein
Rochester
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
Mayo
U VM
Miami
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rochester
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Netter
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons
UCI
UCD
UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire

Thanks for looking at this!

1. 3.85-3.9 cGPA and sGPA, no trend
2. 511 (129 C/P, 125 CARS, 128 B/B, 129 P/S)
3. CA
4. white w/ no disadvantages
5. top public school
6. Clinical:
- 1000hrs ED scribe in underserved area (paid)
- 40 hours visiting inpatients

7. Shadowing:
- ~80hrs, 3 specialties

8. Research:
~350hrs biomed research w/ grad students. Involved in research design the whole time w/ no “grunt work.” 2 posters, no pubs

9. Non-clinical:
- ~600hrs health education volunteering group leader (w/ food pantry, mention this because I’m lacking activities that are specific to an underserved population)
- ~20hrs county public health advocate for my campus
- ~60hrs peer mentor (paid)
- ~1500+hrs job continued through college from high school (paid)
- ~500 hours camp counselor (paid)

10. half-marathons (training for a full), scuba diving, bowling, weight lifting (nothing impressive). Didn’t include them on my app. Should I add any of these activities on secondary apps?
11. Academic stuff (Dean’s list, President’s list) but didn’t include it on my app
12. Taking a gap year scribing, research, and public health summer stipend project. I did BAD on my MCAT given my practice tests. I’m applying to a lot of schools because I’m worried about my score and will definitely restudy/retake if I don’t get any love this cycle

Interested in: cardiology, pulmonology, primary care, public health (my personal statement emphasized my interest in public health)

1. USF Morsani
2. Emory
3. Mayo, WI
4. Dartmouth
5. Einstein
6. Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
7. Duke
8. Ohio State
9. USC
10. UC Davis
11. UCI
12. UCLA
13. UCSD
14. UCSF
15. George Washington
16. Georgetown
17. Miami
18. Loyola
19. Rush
20. Tufts
21. Oakland
22. St. Louis
23. Creighton
24. Albany Medical College
25. UNC
26. Wake Forest
27. Drexel
28. Penn State Hershey
29. T Jefferson
30. Temple
31. VCU
32. Medical College of Wisconsin
33. University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health

Tulane and NYMC require CASPer...

Again, thanks for the help and I’ll update this thread with the outcome of my cycle.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help! I appreciate you both!

For Goro, why Hofstra over USF or Einstein? And thanks for the heads up on Rush. Here's an info sheet I found which was apparently given out at last year's interviews if you care to look at it: Dropbox - IMG_2986.JPG

I count about a dozen schools on your list where you have a fair to good chance at an interview. That's usually enough.
You could easily delete at least 10 without hurting your chances.

Here is a more realistic list:

Duke
Hofstra
Rochester
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
Mayo
U VM
Miami
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rochester
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Netter
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons
UCI
UCD
UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire

Thanks for your help! I appreciate you both!

For Goro, why Hofstra over USF or Einstein? And thanks for the heads up on Rush. Here's an info sheet I found which was apparently given out at last year's interviews if you care to look at it: Dropbox - IMG_2986.JPG
For USF, OOSers have to be > avg. Let me double check on Hofstra vs Einstein

For USF, OOSers have to be > avg. Let me double check on Hofstra vs Einstein
EDIT: Einstein's median has increased...it's now a 516! Their 25th %ile for acceptees is a 512, and the 10th %ile is a 509, so, it's in striking distance.

Hofstra is almost identical, but as a 508 for the 10th%ile.

EDIT: Einstein's median has increased...it's now a 516! Their 25th %ile for acceptees is a 512, and the 10th %ile is a 509, so, it's in striking distance.

Hofstra is almost identical, but as a 508 for the 10th%ile.

Great, thanks for responding!