3.86 GPA 507 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dibbehbae

Reaction score
Hi all,

I got my MCAT score back recently (507), and while I am a bit disappointed, I want to move on and look at next steps. I hope that you all could help me out with my chances, especially any chance I have with a California school. UC Davis and UCR's mission statement fit mine to the dot, but I'm worried my MCAT score will hinder me. There's also a >.1 difference in my cGPA and sGPA. Please help a fellow pre med out *upside down smiley face* (EDIT: I understand it's very difficult to get into CA, I don't have high hopes and I'm ok with that. Just want to know if anyone thinks I have a chance).

ORM, but still can add a lot to diversity (apologies for being vague).

• Year in school: Graduated from a top 10 undergrad, and in a top 10 masters program

• Country/state of residence: California

• Schools to which you are applying: Broadly. Applying 2019 cycle.
    All of CA schools, UNC, UIC, UofM, Baylor, University of Colorado, Cooper, Wayne State, Oregon Health and Science, Oakland, Toledo, Rochester, Dartmouth.
  • Cumulative GPA: 3.86 (undergrad)

• Science GPA: 3.72

• MCAT Scores: 507 129/125/126/127

• Research – Listed as a contributor to a paper, working on a publication (been working as a 3rd author for 2 years), research/thesis project in Masters program, and 5 poster presentations in domestic and international conferences.

• Volunteering (clinical) – include hours/sites: ~900 hours as an ED Scribe

• Physician shadowing – include hours/specialties: ~100 hours: Cardiothoracic Surgery, Family Med, OB/GYN

• Non-clinical volunteering: ~1,000 (3 years at a hospital, 2 years at a nonprofit, 4 years at a Sunday school, 1 year teaching-listed below-, and 1 year with the mentorship program-listed below-).
  • Extracurricular activities: taught a health curriculum in high schools for 2 years, started a mentorship program with vulnerable populations in the area, tutor Biology to community college students, was president of a religious club for a year (event coordinator for the same club the year before), love to draw portraits (I've had a few pieces submitted in local art galleries).

• Employment history: Medical scribe and research assistant, both for one year each
  • Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n) Yes

• Specialty of interest: Primary Care (not limited)

• Graduate degrees: Masters in Science from a top 10

• Interest in rural health (y/n): Yes

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is a more realistic list of schools to apply to with your MCAT score:
UC Davis
UC Riverside
California University
Kaiser
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany