3.88 cGPA 3.91 sGPA 33 MCAT Old Non-Trad Chance Me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EdLongshanks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
47 years old -- Application already submitted and verified, just need to choose other schools besides my home state.

Here is my tentative list of schools
Reach: Mayo, Vanderbilt
Match: State school University of Oklahoma
Safety Schools: Tulane, Case, Univ of Ark, Univ of Kansas

MCAT: BS 9, PS 11, VR 13, S
Overall GPA: 3.88
Science GPA: 3.91

Brief Profile:

National Merit Scholar
Long time ago Worked in one Nursing Home and volunteered in others
Have many years experience working in Medical insurance field
Lions and Kiwanis clubs
Taught adult classes in church
Led election campaigns
Published a few articles and helped edit a monthly magazine with a circulation of 10,000
City Councilman
Presidential Elector
Organized local National Day of Prayer observance
Was a radio announcer for public radio
Did election research
Have considerable volunteer experience working with the homeless
Shadowed doctors for ~60 hours
Presented a poster at a Research Day

Members don't see this ad.

Consider (if their mission fits yours):

MCW, UVermont, Jefferson, SUNY Upstate, UCentral Florida, Albany, Creighton, Wayne, Rosalind Franklin, Georgetown,
UWisconsin, Penn State, Wake, UNCarolina, SUNY Upstate, SLU, UMinnesota, UIowa, UMiami,
UCincinnati, Boston.
UVirgina, Ohio State, URochester, Einstein, Dartmouth, UColorado (supposedly likes nontrads).

(Case is not a safety)

Arkansas and Kansas are going to be difficult to get accepted to if you don't have some kind of state tie.

And I echo the sentiment that Case is not a safety.

I also see no recent clinical experience? Unless somehow your work with the homeless was medically related? You have an interesting mix of ECs, but from what you listed, I really don't get the feeling that you have enough experience with medicine in general to be able to adequately answer the oft-asked question, "Why Medicine?"

Members don't see this ad :)
Good point, MiniMoo. That nursing home experience was "long ago" and may not satisfy adcomms that you've adequately explored medicine as a career. It might be good if the OP got something going that could be continued through the application year. This would provide pertinent information for update letters that could make a difference. Of course, the homeless shelter may have included a clinical component that would cover that expectation if properly presented.

Good point, MiniMoo. That nursing home experience was "long ago" and may not satisfy adcomms that you've adequately explored medicine as a career. It might be good if the OP got something going that could be continued through the application year. This would provide pertinent information for update letters that could make a difference. Of course, the homeless shelter may have included a clinical component that would cover that expectation if properly presented.

No, the homeless work was purely social. Certainly, their social life had an interesting mix of physical related problems. When they had alcohol related epileptic seizures I accompanied them to the hospital. I took one or two home to give them some rest from the street, because I thought that they were going to die of exhaustion, low-blood sugar, and repeated bouts of the flu.

I'm working on volunteering at the free clinic at the homeless shelter, but we haven't connected yet. Also, even though its not on the main list of activities, and just barely mentioned in my PS, my family has had some medically intense experiences to which I am the primary care giver. This will show on my secondaries. I spoke with an adcom yesterday who said that, as a whole, my clinical experiences are "not a plus, but not a void that will raise a question."

Thank you for your help. I'll drop Kansas and Arkansas and add one of the others. I'm questioning another place about Case.

On an encouraging note: not too long ago a WAMC poster reported getting accepted with no other clinical experience than helping to care for a sick family member over a long period of time. So in any way possible, work those family experiences into your Secondary essays. And hopefully the homeless clinic will come through for you soon.