3.9 cGPA, 3.91sGPA and 512 MCAT WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yowhaddup

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi this is my first time posting and wanted to get everyone's opinions on WAMC

Like the title said -

cGPA: 3.9
sGPA: 3.91
MCAT: 512

Texas Resident - UT Austin Grad (TMDSAS seems to calculate GPA a little different)
TMDSAS cGPA: 3.93
TMDSAS sGPA: 3.94

ORM

ECs:

Clinical Volunteering - ~190hrs in Austin hospitals where I worked in various departments from neonatal care, to clerical work

Physician Shadowing - ~100 hours in oncology and pancreatic surgery

TA - teaching assistant at UT Austin for 2 semester - 10-15 hours a week (between 320-480 hours total spent)

Research - 6000+ hrs in research (~1000hrs in undergrad w/ publication - 3rd author); currently working in a lab during gap year 50+ hours a week with my own project (all rec letters came from faculty where I work - all assistant professors) professors are from UTSW, where I conduct my research

Texas Club Tennis - member of the Texas intramural club tennis where I dedicated 400+ hrs of work and won 2 state titles

Community Service - ~20 hrs of community service at homeless shelters throughout Austin and Dallas

List of schools I applied to:

Texas Schools (all):

UT Southwestern, UT Houston, UTMB, UT San Antonio, UTRGV, Texas A&M HSC, TTU Lubbock, TTU El Paso, Dell

AMCAS Schools:

Albert Einstein
Baylor (also Texas)
Boston University (for funsies)
Drexel
Duke (for funsies)
Emory
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Harvard (for funsies)
Johns Hopkins (for funsies)
NYU (for funsies)
USC
Pennstate
UPenn (for funsies)
Stanford (for funsies)
SUNY
Stony Brook
Brown
Tufts
Tulane
UCLA (for funsies)
UCSD
UCSF (for funsies)
UIllinois
UNC Chapel Hill
Yale (for funsies)

Would be great to get everyone's opinions

Should I pick some more schools more in my range? Notice how alot of my AMCAS schools are "for funsies" schools. Mainly because staying in Texas would be great for me.

My dream schools would be: UTSW or UT Houston, but would consider most of the out of state schools if I were accepted

Also, I know my MCAT is kind of just average especially for the schools I applied to. Please give me your opinions!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
OOS MD schools rarely take Texans because they know from historic norms that very few Texans leave the Lone Star State. Those that do are superstars.

Funsies in the app process is merely a donation. Take your parents out to dinner instead.

Reactions: 4 users
OOS MD schools rarely take Texans because they know from historic norms that very few Texans leave the Lone Star State. Those that do are superstars.

Funsies in the app process is merely a donation. Take your parents out to dinner instead.

oh no worries. Took em out to dinner before application cycle began. told them I would be making enough donations to last me a lifetime

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

on a serious note though, would be great if you could give me your opinions on my chances for Texas schools then.

you seem to have taken your stance on my chances for OOS schools; how would you rate my overall application?

on a serious note though, would be great if you could give me your opinions on my chances for Texas schools then.

you seem to have taken your stance on my chances for OOS schools; how would you rate my overall application?
Fine for all except Baylor and UTSW. If not love by Tgiving from anyone (including TCOM), then start sending apps to DO schools, starting with UIW

Fine for all except Baylor and UTSW. If not love by Tgiving from anyone (including TCOM), then start sending apps to DO schools, starting with UIW

thanks for feedback

you dont think my extensive research experience can help me a little? most of my letters (3+) are from well respected UTSW faculty

I'm just a fellow applicant, but I think you have a pretty fair shot at UTSW and all other TMDSAS schools. Texas schools seem to skew toward preferring a higher GPA and are a little more forgiving with the MCAT. Your score is on the lower end for UTSW, but definitely within range.

Baylor, on the other hand, seems to have been recruiting super high stats, and I can see your MCAT holding you back there. Extensive research experience is great, but GPA/MCAT are king. Your other ECs check all the right boxes and your passion for Tennis really shows.

I wouldn't stress too much :) You have a good app and now its just time to follow it through to the end. UTH and UTSW are totally possible in my personal opinion.

I'm just a fellow applicant, but I think you have a pretty fair shot at UTSW and all other TMDSAS schools. Texas schools seem to skew toward preferring a higher GPA and are a little more forgiving with the MCAT. Your score is on the lower end for UTSW, but definitely within range.

Baylor, on the other hand, seems to have been recruiting super high stats, and I can see your MCAT holding you back there. Extensive research experience is great, but GPA/MCAT are king. Your other ECs check all the right boxes and your passion for Tennis really shows.

I wouldn't stress too much :) You have a good app and now its just time to follow it through to the end. UTH and UTSW are totally possible in my personal opinion.

thank you dodolol, i've been seeing you on many threads for this app cycle haha. thanks for your vote of confidence. good luck with your apps!

Reactions: 1 user