MD 3.93, 518, non-cheating Institutional Action

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Acceptance or nah?

• acceptance

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • nah

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters

TrilliamClinton

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduating in 2018, top 30 school. Biology BS

cGPA: 3.93, sGPA: 3.93
mcat: 518

RESEARCH- 1 year, 150 hours, not clinical, basically a literature review type study but worked with a team and directly with professor. got a poster presentation out of it, no publications
VOLUNTEERING (clinical)- 100 during high school at local hospital. 250 over 2 summers of college at the same hospital doing transport-- really good patient exposure, shows through in amcas statement
NON-CLINICAL VOLUNTEERING- was on community service committee in residential a learning community freshman year, soup kitchen trip, bowling fundraiser, etc- 60 hours
SHADOWING-ophthalmology, oncology, cardiology, orthopedic surgery- 50 hours (over freshman year). Emergency Department- 50 hours (over a summer after sophomore year)

OTHER ECs-
LEADERSHIP role as a club executive member for a music student org where we promote local music, i think its pretty unique and a solid leadership role (160 hours, 2nd semester freshman year to present)
MUSIC-playing guitar and drums for 8 years

PERSONAL STATEMENT-I've been told its is pretty good, idk, its from the heart and its honest.

4 LOR- one from PI should be really solid, other 3 could range from average-good

BUT I have an institutional action for weed at the end of my freshman year. Bad I know, not on transcript but on disciplinary record, med schools can access this if they want to. I've decided the reward to omit is not worth the price of getting caught. Getting caught would **** me in the face, i'd get blacklisted. Also, this was a small incident with no criminal record. idk what to think, this has been annoying the **** out of me. This is the real reason i'm posting this, i don't know how much this is going to hurt me.

tl;dr- excellent stats, low-averages ECs, good PS and average-good LORs, with a non-cheating related institutional action.

B- level candidate, by WedgeDawgs system
  1. Penn, Columbia
  2. Michigan, NYU, Cornell, Sinai, Pitt , Case western
  3. Rochester, Dartmouth, Einstein, Hofstra, UVa , UNC
  4. SUNY Downstate, Stony Brook, WVU, Virginia Commonwealth, Quinnipiac, Maryland, Umass, Uconn, howard,
  5. Robertwood Johnson, NJMS, cooper med school (in state)
  6. NYMC, Thomas Jefferson, Drexel, Albany (low yield)

Members don't see this ad.

Considering you put sometime between yourself and the event, if you own it and don't simply try and make excuses or minimize it and say what you learned from it, make it a growing experience of some sort, then I highly doubt it'll be an issue IMO

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

There's enough time between now and then that if you can talk about it intelligently and spin it as a maturing experience it could be a positive talking point tbh.

I don't think the IA will be a problem, this won't be the first time admissions committees are seeing one involving weed. Your research and non-clinical volunteering are kind of light, if you end up doing more throughout the course of the application year definitely send an update to schools. For your list, UNC accepts less than 2% of OOS applicants -- they are committed to producing physicians who will stay in NC. You could switch this with another mid-tier such as USC-Keck, Cincinnati, or Miami.