3.97 gpa, 30M, 13ps, 10bs, 7vr.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sr0822

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ohio resident, graduating from a state university, strong references, average volunteer hours. Chances? Thinking I would have a leg up at my alma mater because I am 1st in my class of premed students or close to it. Thoughts? I'm applying to all the in state schools and a few that are reaches. Have received all my secondary apps.

Members don't see this ad.

Ohio resident, graduating from a state university, strong references, average volunteer hours. Chances? Thinking I would have a leg up at my alma mater because I am 1st in my class of premed students or close to it. Thoughts? I'm applying to all the in state schools and a few that are reaches. Have received all my secondary apps.
A VS of 7 can be problematic at many schools. Is English your second language?

You might check on the more-selective schools on your list to see if they have subscore requirements. Or if they don't look at individual subscores, which would be even more reassuring.

English is not my second language.... Just was never a avid reader. I would be thrilled to get into my undergrad school.... Logic tells me they would have to stand behind my gpa... The 3.97 was straight As. I had a few A-. Wouldn't they be saying that "we don't trust our own grades?" I'm applying to all the instate Ohio schools.

English is not my second language.... Just was never a avid reader. I would be thrilled to get into my undergrad school.... Logic tells me they would have to stand behind my gpa... The 3.97 was straight As. I had a few A-. Wouldn't they be saying that "we don't trust our own grades?" I'm applying to all the instate Ohio schools.

Where's your undergrad?

And to answer your question, no... you probably won't have any advantage. There are plenty of applicants from schools of similar caliber to your undergrad who have GPAs just as high plus a good MCAT score. Besides, GPA and MCAT require different skill sets. For all they know, maybe you studied 24/7 and crammed all the material into your head without much critical thinking. That's why your MCAT (esp. verbal, which tests critical thinking) came out so low. I'm sure your alma mater -- just like other med schools - look for more than just GPA. Again, different schools have different emphasis, so back to the original question, where's your undergrad?