3.97 gpa 37R

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sliceofbread136

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a biomedical engineer with the above numbers.
ECs:

• Research for 2 years with an undergraduate fellowship awarded
  • Volunteering at hospitol for a couple of years
  • 10 hours of shadowing at an ER
I pretty much have my heart set on Baylor medical school in Texas. I feel my ECs are really weak though. I'm gonna work on my ECs more next semester, but what would you guys say my chances are for now?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a biomedical engineer with the above numbers.
ECs:

• Research for 2 years with an undergraduate fellowship awarded
  • Volunteering at hospitol for a couple of years
  • 10 hours of shadowing at an ER
I pretty much have my heart set on Baylor medical school in Texas. I feel my ECs are really weak though. I'm gonna work on my ECs more next semester, but what would you guys say my chances are for now?
Have you read the selection factors for Baylor in the MSAR?

To extract a pertinent section: "Intellectual ability and academic achievement alone are not sufficient to support the development of the ideal physician. To work effectively in a profession dependent upon interpersonal relationships, physicians should possess traits of personality and character which permit them to communicate effectively with warmth and compassion."

So far you've demonstrated academic ability and scientific curiosity. You have familiarity with a medical environment and patient interaction, but minimal observation of a physician's role. What will you do to demonstrate compassion, teamwork, ability to communicate information to others and to maintain good interpersonal relationships, altruism, responsibility, leadership, and commitment? And do you have some leisuretime activities to help you manage the stressors that come with a career in medicine?

I don't think you have a chance at Baylor right now, but you have some of the essential basics, and I expect you are highly motivated to improve your odds.

I forgot to add that I work at an animal shelter right now and will continue to do that. I was planning on volunteering at a battered women's shelter. I want these activities to show my compassion, altruism and responsibility. I'm definitely going to shadow more as well. I also applied for a tutoring position which I was hoping would demonstrate my communication skills. Finally I was planning to participate in a clinical program in a 3rd world country. For leisure I like to swim and lift weights, although I am terrible at both. Are the any other activities you would suggest to improve my odds?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Try to think of a leadership activity. Examples might be training new volunteers at the hospital or lab newbies working with your PI.

Any chance of a publication or noncampus poster/presentation of your research data?

I'd suggest that you will want to continue these activities through the application year, mentioning them in update letters, where permitted, to help sway adcomms on the cusp about your application.

I've made a WAMC before, but now I've pretty much finalized what will be on my application, and I'd like to know what you guys think of my school list.

GPA:3.97
MCAT: 37R (14-11-12)

ECs:
1.Research for ~2 years where at times I worked on independent projects at times
2. around 3 semesters of hospital volunteering ~120 hours at info desk, patient floors, and ER
3. 40 hours shadowing of only ER doctor (no PCP)
4.volunteer at soup kitchen for 6 months 2 hours a week
5. volunteer at animal shelter for 12 months 2 hours a week
6. Tutor for all premed classes 1 semester 8 hours a week
7.study abroad trip in cambridge for 1 month. Will travel all around europe during this time.
8. 1000$ research fellowship for independent project, I was going to list this in with some other awards that i've gotten (small things that don't likely matter)
9. I recreationally lift weights. Debating whether I should put this on at all, I've been doing this for awhile but since I started off at 6 ft 120 lbs, I'm still nothing special. Do you guys think I should put this?

School list:
ALL Texas schools (I'm a Texas resident)
University of pennsylvania
Mayo
Washington U. in St. Louis
Johns Hopkins

The reason all my non-Texas schools are huge reaches is because I feel like it's pointless for me to pick safety schools outside of Texas because it'll cost a ton more $$ in tuitition.

My LORs are very very average, but I think I have a decent personal statement. Any comments on my school list and other stuff? My #1 choice is a tie between Baylor and Southwestern, how are my chances there?

I just got shadowing with a primary care physician! Wooooo for small boost to my app!

Ya I do see leadership as my one big hole. I do help to interview applicants for tutoring positions and offer them advice on how to tutor. I'm hoping this might count for alittle leadership and that adcoms will look past this shortcoming (actually all my shortcomings). But honestly, I'm kind of chill about this cycle because I'm fairly sure I'll get in somewhere (knock on wood), and I'll be happy where ever I end up :luck:

Catalystik, you commented on my chances back when I had zero ECs, could you give me you thoughts now that I have some decent cookie cutter ECs?

I interviewed and trained new tutors very briefly with my tutoring program, and I want to spin that as alittle bit of leadership. I also did some very small food drives with friends for the soup kitchen. I also want to spin that as alittle bit of leadership.
I think you have a very good chance of getting in somewhere, too.

For general purposes, the leadership-spinning you have in mind should be fine. It remains to be seen if it will be enough for your top choice schools, but you have strength in research that may, with luck, overcome that.

List the weight lifting.

Texas schools seem to love primary care shadowing, so I'm glad you found an opportunity. How many hours can you get in before you submit?

I think you have a very good chance of getting in somewhere, too.

For general purposes, the leadership-spinning you have in mind should be fine. It remains to be seen if it will be enough for your top choice schools, but you have strength in research that may, with luck, overcome that.

List the weight lifting.

Texas schools seem to love primary care shadowing, so I'm glad you found an opportunity. How many hours can you get in before you submit?

I can get almost 30 if I try hard enough (will have to squeeze in 1 week since I'm going out of the country) . Atleast 10. Thanks for input!

Got my southwestern acceptance today. I feel I've come a long way since making this thread. Thanks to all who helped me, especially Catalystik.

Congratulations :) Southwestern is a truly amazing school!!!

Got my southwestern acceptance today. I feel I've come a long way since making this thread. Thanks to all who helped me, especially Catalystik.

Essential question SOB, did you list the weight lifting?

Interviewer: "Bro, do you even lift?"

Congrats ;)