3.9cGPA/3.85sGPA/510 MCAT... retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rinasza

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I got my MCAT back today, and was really really happy with it at first! But when I told my parents about it, my dad (a doctor) said it's a poor score, and now I'm kind of crushed and scared that it's not good enough. Do you think I stand a chance at getting into a medical school, especially one here in Texas? Or should I retake my MCAT and try for something higher? I'm not shooting for Harvard med or anything like that; I just want to get into a medical school. :(

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1) Bring your dad over to the computer/tablet/phone screen
2) Have him hold very still
3) I am going to smack him upside the head very for being a ***** about this process!

Your score is fine. Your chances outside of TX are poor, because most Texans stay in TX, and other MD schools know this. You're fine for any DO school, though.

The only MD schools you'll have trouble with are UTXSW, UTx-H, and Baylor.

Don't you dare retake the MCAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi guys!

I got my MCAT back today, and was pretty satisfied with it at first! But when I told my parents about it, my dad (who is a doctor) said it's a poor score, and now I'm kind of crushed and scared that it's not good enough. It was fairly balanced at 126/127/130/127. I'm a Texas resident, female, not URM, I think fairly good ECs (200+ hours volunteering hospital, 200+ shadowing, started a student org, 3 years research, TA for a year, wrote a thesis)/recs/etc. do you think I stand a chance at getting into a medical school, especially one here in Texas? Or should I retake my MCAT and try for something higher? I'm not shooting for Harvard med or anything like that; I just want to get into a medical school. :(

Thanks!

Reactions: 3 users
I have never seen @Goro use that many exclamation points. I would take the advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, general word of caution: I would take parental advice about applying to medical schools with a (large) grain of salt. Even though your dad is a doctor, the process and philosophy has changed dramatically, I'd say--given what I have read--in the past 5 years. I had a doctor tell me to "not worry about volunteering and your extra curricular activities. They're not important at all. All admissions people care about is a 4.0 GPA and perfect MCAT score." Yeah... probably not.

Anyways, with your c/sGPA and MCAT in addition to your EC's and etc., I think you're going to be okay. Apply wisely (early and broadly), and the II will be sent your way. Don't let their negativity drag you down; you've done great! Keep your chin up!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Goro got triggered by this..

Thank you guys so much for your input! I know it's a little late, but I feel a lot better now! I'm just going to keep doing my best to keep my grades up, and with any luck I'll have a successful application cycle :) Cheers!