3 Labs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mz Shaikh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone i hope you are all doing well. I wanted to ask you guys a question. I was talking to my Chem II prof today and she adviced me not to take 3 science lab courses next semester.
I was planing on taking....
-Principles of Organic Chemistry ( i want some background in it before i take organic chem I)
-General Biology II ( required)
-Anatomy and Physiology I

What are your thoughts? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Mz Shaikh said:
Hello everyone i hope you are all doing well. I wanted to ask you guys a question. I was talking to my Chem II prof today and she adviced me not to take 3 science lab courses next semester.
-Principles of Organic Chemistry ( i want some background in it before i take organic chem I)

whats wrong with taking three? i've seen people take 4-6 upper level science courses so it's possible. if you think you can handle it, go for it. :)

Mz Shaikh said:

This also depends on what other courses you are taking. I'm a peer advisor for the biol department @ my school and I usually don't recommend students to take three courses of that magnitude unless they are really dedicated and competent. If your other classes are really easy, you could probably pull it off. If you are planning on taking the DAT this summer, it may be wise because the phys will really help you on the biology section. Just remember, you may really get sick of labs and you are going to have VERY LITTLE TIME to hang out w/ your friends if you want good grades. You're only young once and the undergrad years are the ones to have fun, so it might be worthwhile to take Biol and Chem this semester and take the Anat/Phys in the summer (then take the DAT at the end of the summer). I guess it all boils down to priorities. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you can handle it, great. will you also be juggling other things like leadership positions, etc? as long as you feel confident in getting the grade that will ultimately reflect in the gpa, then go for it.

Thank you all for your responses. I am already done with my bachelors. I am just trying to get the pre-reqs done as soon as I can so that I can apply. I guess I'll try taking three and if doesn't work out then I'll drop A&P. :)

Mz Shaikh said:
Thank you all for your responses. I am already done with my bachelors. I am just trying to get the pre-reqs done as soon as I can so that I can apply. I guess I'll try taking three and if doesn't work out then I'll drop A&P. :)

Just be careful with that...I don't know how your school works, but at mine we have a policy where if you drop a class a W appears on your transcript. And from what I understand a W will be counted as an F by ADSAAS.

Honestly, I think you're better off taking a different class and only two of the labs and then making up the other one later on. I know I'm taking two labs now and going crazy trying to make sure I have everything done for all of them...

But good luck!!

W's def do not count as F's but they do show up under the coursework section, so it may be wise to avoid numerous W's.

DieselKJ said:
W's def do not count as F's but they do show up under the coursework section, so it may be wise to avoid numerous W's.

I love it when my advisor gives me the wrong infromation... :laugh: He has a bad habit of doing that....

Last fall I had that exact schedule, except with Ochem 1. Taking 3 labs sucked and required substantial organization (which I didn't do very well), but in the end it wasn't too bad. I got 2 Bs and a C (in Ochem) for lectures and 2 As and a B (in Bio) for labs. I hate my C in Ochem, and overall they were not the grades I wanted, but it was my fault...I could have worked a lot harder, and if I had spent some time up front getting organized, I could have also worked a lot smarter--and in retrospect, I think that is the real key for this schedule (working smarter).

I guess my point is that I didn't get the grades I wanted, but it was NOT because taking 3 labs was too hard...I spent a lot of time happily "distracted" by my wife and baby that semester, and I definitely could have done much better with a little more effort. I say absolutely go for it, Mz Shaikh--it won't be as bad as you think.