3 Phases of MCAT Prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cherry18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
3 Phases of MCAT Prep
When setting up Strategy Sessions for my MCAT students and Study Hall Members, I like to organize the MCAT prep process in 3 phases.

Phase 1 – Content Phase
The content phase is just that, a review of subject material you’re expected to know for the exam. Learning the content for the MCAT requires making weekly progress for each subject tested:

Physics
General Chemistry
Organic Chemistry
Biochemistry
Biology
CARS (verbal)
Psychology
Sociology
You MUST give yourself enough time to review and, somewhat master, content before moving on. Simply reading the chapter doesn’t count.

I recommend following my 5-Steps to Mastering the MCAT Sciences.

Some prep companies will have you doing practice passages and questions right away. But let me ask you this:

Are you really getting the most out of your study time by doing a complex passage on torque PRIOR TO UNDERSTANDING TORQUE??
Give yourself enough time to learn and understand the information BEFORE you start heavy practice.

I include an outline of what I believe are ideal lengths for content review based on different students’ learning habits later in this article.

Phase 2 – Practice and Review Phase
Phase 2 is where you start to practice MCAT material, especially full-length exams and passage-style questions.

Phase 2 should last a MINIMUM of 4 weeks, but up to 8 weeks is typical.
This is when you work through passages and REVIEW information related to the questions you missed by taking a full-length test every 2-3 weeks. Only by answering questions and then GOING BACK AND STUDYING the topics you missed will you REALLY develop MCAT/Passage mastery.

Phase 3 – Hard Core MCAT Prep
Think of this as the ‘wrapping it up’ phase. This is the point in your preparation when you’ve:

More or less mastered all the content you’re expected to know
Done many passages/questions with review
Taken a handful of full-length practice MCAT exams to get familiar with testing style, duration, endurance, AND of course, taken the time to review your weak areas.

Source : Leah4sci

Members don't see this ad.