Cooolguy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2005
Status
just wondering if you guys are like me on this one?

QuantumMechanic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2005
Hilbert Space
Status
Medical Student
Cooolguy said:
I never practiced a single one, although I did read some strategy for it. I ended up with a P, which is definitely acceptable.

medanthgirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2004
casa bonita
Status
Cooolguy said:

how good of a writer are you in your social science or liberal arts classes? i only practiced one night, and never wrote, more just reviewed the methods and thought about what i would say, examples I may give to some practice prompts. i got an S, but all my anthropology, english classes, etc were straight As. if you are an A or B student in those classes I think you'll be fine. but if you are not strong on bluebook exams and essays, then i would try to crank some out.

also, are you kind of a history/cultural buff? if you are not you may want to review lots and lots of prompts and try to think of meaningful examples. one event or time in history (rise of internet culture, Harlem Renaissance, or the space race) could be used in multiple illustrative examples. If there's an area you always focused in, don't be afraid to draw from that knowledge.

About the Ads

Kikaku21

10+ Year Member
May 10, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Cooolguy said:
Don't worry about it. Just don't screw up.

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Classyville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Haven't touched them yet. Probably will do them in AAMC 7-9 just so I can see how I should feel when BS comes around.

pej722

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status
I always felt that they were difficult to do because once you were finished you had no idea of what your score was. I would just practice making sure you can write two pages in half hour. Also read through the tips that examkrackers offers

Dr Durden

10+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
The Dirty South
Status
Medical Student
This engineer didn't practice at all but still managed an S. Yet I would suggest sitting down and trying to write at least one in half an hour just to get a feel for it. If you really have the time, perhaps think of some stock examples for an inevitable political or social question like medanthgirl said. Still, don't sweat it.

da_donut

10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
Status
pej722 said:
I always felt that they were difficult to do because once you were finished you had no idea of what your score was. I would just practice making sure you can write two pages in half hour. Also read through the tips that examkrackers offers
Where does EK offer tips on the writing sample?

socal78

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2005
Status
Medical Student
i'm not planning on going over the writing section until the last week, not really too worried about it, even though i'm a horrible writer.

kaml20

10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
I am thinking about it as more of a sleeping/nap time section... and ive already prepared enough for it throughout my life

MedChic

10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
nope, haven't done one yet

we'll see, maybe i'll just wing it

yes i said i'll just WING IT, i know i know it is SO against the premed mantra

AWhitehair

EM PA-C. MD wannabe
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
Tampa, FL
Status
Non-Student
me either!

RAD11

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2004
Status
Pre-Medical
I just started to do the WS when doing the FLs more for stamina right before the Bio section just to make sure that I can keep on going. Not really worried about this section though.

H and D

10+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2006
Minnesota
Status
Pre-Medical
I've done one and plan to do 1-2 more (probably when I take AAMC 9 since I am taking that under full test conditions).

geno2568

10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Status
Pre-Medical
i did maybe 2-3 written passages during the course of my studying
i'm a horrible writer
i wound up with an O
i asked my premed advisor if that will hurt me, and she said no, as long as my personal statement isnt full of bad english, or i cant speak well during my interview

she also mentioned that she knew a student that got into harvard with a K

Moses MD

I got a staff
10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Haven't practiced one yet, and probably never will.

About the Ads