33 MCAT, 3.96 cGPA, non-trad.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chmowrey

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Purpose for writing this WAMC:
-NOTE: I am currently an applicant in the 2016 cycle. However, I am only applying to one MD state school this year and have good reasons for doing so. I have already interviewed at this school (it went well) and am hoping to get accepted there, making this post a moot point.
-However, being realistic about my chances of not getting in with only one target, next cycle will be my "main" application season where I apply broadly and very early. I want some feedback on my current application in order to fine-tune it and strategize for next year if another cycle is necessary.

The lowdown:
-White male, 24 about to turn 25, currently living in the Midwest.
-Undergraduate degree is in English from a small liberal arts university.
-I have a very unique experience living with and taking care of a disabled gentleman the past two years since graduation that was my springboard away from law school and towards medical school.
-I went back to school to take chemistry, physics, organic, biology, trig, and biochemistry. Only science classes at my undergrad were nutrition and statistics.
-My cGPA is 3.96, my sGPA is 3.87.
-Took the MCAT once and got a 33.
-40 hours of shadowing with a surgeon and a radiologist.
-80 hours of clinical-voluntering in a hospital setting.
-Volunteering experience with troubled youths and a life-long involvement in a religious community and the various outreaches important there.
-2500+ hours of clinical experience working as a phlebotomist and a phlebotomy coordinator (supervisory position) at a large level-1 trauma center.
-Plenty of leadership in college including a stint on student government, resident assistant, writing tutor, and a work-study position with a department chair.
-At least 3 of my letters of recommendation are going to be very, very strong.

Potential weaknesses in my application:
-Some of my post-bacc prereqs were done at a CC (mostly dictated by non-trad circumstances).
-My MCAT is a little unbalanced. I took it while I was still in my first semester of physics.
-Obviously, research has never been an option.
-No committee letter because, well, that's not an option. My two science LORS from post-bacc may not be nearly as strong as some from undergrad professors who got to know me much better. They'll be fine but nothing special.

Intangible strength:
-My writing. My personal statement and application essays are something I would far and away consider a unique strength in my current application. My writing/verbal skills are reflected in my 100 percentile MCAT verbal score and a 98 percentile writing score on the GRE years ago.
 
Last edited: